FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82437 --- 12/09/04 03:43 PM What do you think?
South County Offline
Silver Member

Loc: .
I think anyone who has kids in today's world is nuts!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=8&u=/ap/20041209/ap_on_re_us/parental_snooping

Court: Mom's Eavesdropping Violated Law

SEATTLE - Striking a blow for rebellious teenagers, the Washington Supreme Court ruled Thursday that state law prohibits parents from eavesdropping on a child's phone conversations.

The case reached the high court because of a purse-snatching. A 17-year-old boy was convicted of the robbery, in part on testimony from his girlfriend's mother, who overhead him discussing the crime on the phone with her daughter.

The daughter had taken a cordless phone into her bedroom and closed the door. In another room, her mother pressed the speakerphone button on an extension, listened in and took notes.

The court ruled that the daughter and her boyfriend had a reasonable expectation of privacy on the phone. Washington state law prohibits intercepting or recording conversations without the consent of all participants.

"The Washington privacy statute puts a high value on the privacy of communications," Justice Tom Chambers wrote in the unanimous opinion...........

The boyfriend will get a new trial.

___

FingerLakes1.com
#82438 --- 12/09/04 03:49 PM Re: What do you think?
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Even I think that's outrageous.

#82439 --- 12/09/04 09:28 PM Re: What do you think?
sweetglory Offline

Loc: my own little world
Do you really believe that SC.I take it you and the mrs. don't have any...?

#82440 --- 12/10/04 04:10 AM Re: What do you think?
South County Offline
Silver Member

Loc: .
Quote:

Do you really believe that SC.I take it you and the mrs. don't have any...?

http://www.npg.org/

I have one son who recently got his Ph.D degree.

#82441 --- 12/10/04 06:28 AM Re: What do you think?
sweetglory Offline

I stand corrected. I also remember thinking that befor I got married back in the eighties.but alas had two girls. the next generation may be the oness to solve the world's problems and find new cures.Some people just should not have kids at all.this mother went to the extreme
don't you think?

#82442 --- 12/10/04 06:29 AM Re: What do you think?
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
I think it was a phone in the parents home she had all the right in the world, the court is completely nuts.

#82443 --- 12/10/04 06:30 AM Re: What do you think?
sweetglory Offline

would not that be hearsay though?

#82444 --- 12/10/04 06:36 AM Re: What do you think?
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
No it shows that the lady listened in on a phone conversation which if that was wrong obviously the dirtbag was guilty of stealing the purse.

The judge wrote in unanimous opinion....With who?????? Himself?

#82445 --- 12/10/04 07:50 AM Re: What do you think?
BEerwoman Offline

AGREED

#82446 --- 12/10/04 07:59 AM Re: What do you think?
sweetglory Offline

I have a speakerphone and the dang thing is very loud.couldn't the daughter hear it?It would squeal in her ear if nothing else and maybe the mother had a reason for not trusting the daughter.some times you have to eaves drop on your kids.my girls learned along time ago privacy to a certain degree unless I feel it could possibly hurt them.

#82447 --- 12/10/04 08:10 AM Re: What do you think?
UKNFOAD Offline

AUGH.

i have three girls. all under 10 though-- im in big trouble. Anythign ever happened like that i would rip her butt out of school so fast and homeschool even if it hurt. the worst thing you can do to a teenager is take away their social life. The rule at my house is abuse it and lose it.

#82448 --- 12/10/04 08:29 AM Re: What do you think?
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
If the mom was already leery of the bf I could understand it. I had a bf that mom didnt trust at all... I know she listened in a few times when he called. Its not interfering with her "private" life- its keeping her safe! You're 17- guess what- you're still your parents' responsibility. You have no real PRIVATE life. (Believe me, I know that one.)

#82449 --- 12/10/04 09:48 AM Re: What do you think?
cRaZeD Offline

Believe me, I listen in once in awhile to my 13 year old's conversations. I let her know it too! Too much quacky stuff going on these days and there are some kids that I really do not trust. Although most of her friends are good kids. It's her boyfriend, seems a bit jealous and sometimes that worries me a bit.

#82450 --- 12/10/04 11:06 AM Re: What do you think?
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
I watched this issue being discussed by the lawyers involved in this case on the Today Show this morning. I don't believe they can punish the mother for doing this. The bigger issue is using the evidence in court. However it was mentioned that the mother may be sued by the boy because of the damages done to him. So if the mother had eavesdropped but didn't notify the police there would have been no way to charge the mother, not that she has even been charged now.

#82451 --- 12/10/04 05:20 PM Re: What do you think?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
About five years ago, we had just bought a scanner and hooked it up, we were searching channels when all of a sudden I heard my daughter's voice on it! It was the cordless she was on outside talking to her then boyfriend and swearing up a storm...and complaining as I would not move her curfew up to 10 pm on school nights! She was really mad at me about it, and then they were talking all schmoozy to each other (not sexual) and we were laughing so hard we never heard her come in until she walked in and heard herself on the scanner...totally mortified she ran up to her room. She laughed about it later. But, I learned to respect her privacy a little bit more....ok, may be not. A couple of years later, I picked up the down stairs extension and she was talking to her boyfriend that even though her arm hurt, she was still picking up her room. I KNEW what she had on the arm..a tattoo! Do not ask me how I knew it was that, but I did. I called her downstairs and asked her to remove her sweatshirt she had over a tank top...she refused. I said "Ok, well..we can do this my way where you remove the sweat shirt...ORRRR...I can treat you like a two year old and strip you in the bathroom...and do not think I wont!" She dropped her mouth open and removed the sweat shirt...low and behold..a Gothic cross in Indigo blue...done by her friend that was working as an appretice to a tattoo artist....grrrr. Kids...gotta love 'em. But does this now make me a criminal????

#82452 --- 12/10/04 06:22 PM Re: What do you think?
cRaZeD Offline

Nope you're not a criminal - you're a caring mom! It's good to be caring and sometimes I think more could be like us

#82453 --- 12/10/04 08:45 PM Re: What do you think?
sweetglory Offline

MY question is why did the DA allow her on the stand to begin with?What were they thinking?Wouldn't they have known
her testimony was no good?

#82454 --- 12/11/04 11:14 AM Re: What do you think?
MoodyCat Offline

Loc: South of 336
What are the laws in Washington?

Perhaps they are no longer considered a minor after they turn 17. Remember the law New York just changed 2 yrs ago..... A child could leave at 16, be on their own ect, but now it is 18. Unless emancipated by the court OR a parent themselves a child is considered a minor until the age of 18 whether they reside with their parents or not. An law enforcement has to bring the child hom if requested by the parent, whereas before if the child was 17 and living elsewhere the child did not have to be brought home......

#82455 --- 12/11/04 11:46 AM Re: What do you think?
coolmom Offline

Loc: Waterloo
See Rascal, I think this is what is wrong with the system. Ok, this young juvenile steals someone's purse, which last time I knew was against the law. This woman listens to a phone conversation that was happening IN her house on a phone that I am sure she pays for. Then this young punk is thinking of suing her for ruining him??? didn't he ruin himself when he started breaking the law??? This is where I just don't get it! If I was the lawyer, I would laugh at the brat and if I was the judge I would tell him to pay his time for stealing someone else property! HELLO! man teenagers have nerve!

#82456 --- 12/11/04 11:53 AM Re: What do you think?
MoodyCat Offline

Loc: South of 336
Ok, but let's change the situation here for a minute....

What would happen if it was this woman's 17yr old sister that was on the phone in her home (pretend the 17y/o didn't live there) and she heard this when she listened in.....The lawyer proably would not have put her on the stand then.

I'm not saying I agree with what happened I don't. But there are a few small things that need to be know in the story and aren't. Like what age the child starts having rights.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >