FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#819711 --- 06/02/08 04:42 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: past tense]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: past tense
I always cringe when a parent comes on here and starts a thread like this because responses like Stella's are inevitable.

No one - NO ONE - is more judgemental than another parent about how others parent their kids.

#2138739017389017 on the list of reasons I love being childless.

awww come on..you guys would make great parents ;\)

FingerLakes1.com
#819728 --- 06/02/08 05:19 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: past tense]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
I always cringe when a parent comes on here and starts a thread like this because responses like Stella's are inevitable.

No one - NO ONE - is more judgemental than another parent about how others parent their kids.

I agree! My EX girlfriend had a daughter like that ... that is why she is my EX! I do have a step daughter .... but she is GREAT.... if she wasn't we would of NEVER gotten married!

#819808 --- 06/02/08 07:48 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: past tense]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm

Its probably just as well sometimes. It's scarey raising kids in the world.

#819811 --- 06/02/08 07:57 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Yetta Nother]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

I must say....my kids are great. They are both beautiful people....inside and out. I just came back from visiting both of them and I am prouder of them then I have ever been. They were great little people and are wonderful adults. Anyone that comes in contact with them knows that they were raised well. They are not perfect....but they are mine.....and my weekend was the best weekend I have had in a long time. They both work.....they both have nice apartments. Life is good.....as long as my daughter doesn't call me to move her again. Ugh.

AR......Your child is crying for attention in my opinion. Punishment is not the answer here. Filling her void and using the rest of the family to be invloved is what I think you should do. We all parent different......but I do know that positive reinforcement works better than negative. If she is bored.....hand her a rag with some dust polish on it and let her go to town. Tell her that when she finishes dusting that you will sit down with her and eat some ice cream with her. Give her a hug and kiss on the forehead and tell her that she did a wonderful job. It will give her something to look forward to the next time she acts out or is bored.

#819979 --- 06/02/08 02:52 PM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Yetta Nother]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

I agree yetta....with a lot of kids NEGATIVE attention is better than NO attention at all... and I am sure in the last 6 months since the new baby was born the neagative behavior has intensified

#820047 --- 06/02/08 05:24 PM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Another child seems to always bring this kind of behavior. I mean seriously....my kids were only 9 months and 3 weeks apart in age.....when I had my kids the only one affected was the dog....he was jealous over the kids and starting acting out. Even a dog has this behavior over change. The baby now gets most of the attention and you have to make sure that you still spend quality time with the other siblings. New moms are tired. They sometimes don't have the energy to actually spend quality time and most of the time expect the child to entertain themselves.....this is where the boredum part comes in. They don't like to entertain themselves. they want you to entertain them. My kids loved to help clean the house so that always kept them busy and the house always got cleaned.

#820219 --- 06/03/08 02:12 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Yetta Nother]
almostrelieved Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Thanks again for everyone's input. Like I said, we've tried everything-positive reinforcement, reverse psychology...you should hear her on the phone though-she does have great phone etiquette. Things have been better. Just any 5 year old, she does has her moments. Hopefully as the baby gets older, she will grow out of this stage. Then she'll have someone to play with. Thanks again!

#820248 --- 06/03/08 05:57 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
Hate to dump on you...but, once you get this under control - then you have to deal with PMS and the blessed monthly CURSE. LOL. It only gets better (i'm hoping) when she meets prince charming and you run for the hills! (or a 1 bedroom condo in a senior citizen development where no kids are allowed!) ;\)

#820267 --- 06/03/08 06:40 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Where's the love]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Wait till she is 14-15.

#820485 --- 06/03/08 02:13 PM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Where's the love]
almostrelieved Offline

I think she already has PMS-she loves chocolate. I'm hoping she's not like me in that she's more regular (unlike me who really don't have a monthly and had to go thru fertility treatments to get pregnant) yet I'm hoping she is then we don't have to deal with her moodiness.

Yetta-you should hear her talk about becoming a teenager already...UGH! Not looking forward to that at all. Hopefully by then she won't be like this and will have learned that throwing tantrums and acting the way she did won't get her any place. I'm dreading her wanting a cell phone by then too (if not sooner-NO!).

#820804 --- 06/04/08 05:51 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: almostrelieved
Thanks again for everyone's input. Like I said, we've tried everything-positive reinforcement, reverse psychology...you should hear her on the phone though-she does have great phone etiquette. Things have been better. Just any 5 year old, she does has her moments. Hopefully as the baby gets older, she will grow out of this stage. Then she'll have someone to play with. Thanks again!

I am afraid to say that your dreams of a miracle cure after your son is old enough to play with her is far fetched...it will only get worse... she will start having tantrums because she doesn't want to share, or the baby took all the good toys, etc. etc. etc. My niece is 5 and she isn't allowed to have the *tantrum moments* come to think about it...none of my nieces and nephews acted that way...if they did I would of avoided their house like the plague, and I wouldn't have volunteered to babysit like I did for them.

#821540 --- 06/05/08 05:35 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
don't stop trying. it takes a long time to change your habits; like dieting, nothing happens overnight. by the way, don't reward with food, store bought items, or events. Just use praise! (for a while I thought I was going to go to the poor house for rewarding my daughter with trips to the MALL!!)

#821567 --- 06/05/08 06:16 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: almostrelieved
I think she already has PMS-she loves chocolate. I'm hoping she's not like me in that she's more regular (unlike me who really don't have a monthly and had to go thru fertility treatments to get pregnant) yet I'm hoping she is then we don't have to deal with her moodiness.

Yetta-you should hear her talk about becoming a teenager already...UGH! Not looking forward to that at all. Hopefully by then she won't be like this and will have learned that throwing tantrums and acting the way she did won't get her any place. I'm dreading her wanting a cell phone by then too (if not sooner-NO!).

As long as you don't give her her way when she acts like that....then you are still in control. \:\)

#821693 --- 06/05/08 11:07 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: Yetta Nother]
almostrelieved Offline

Update: Things are getting better. Since it's getting warmer out, she's been wanting to play outside a lot more. Hopefully this will tire her out so she can sleep better. I think that was part of her problem-not getting enough sleep (especially since her room is right next door to her baby brother's and at times he wakes her up early in the am, like around 5 or 6 which is way too early for her-and me too). Thanks again for everyone's input. I'm sure as she gets older she will change. We (my hubby and I) tell her all the time who's boss and that doesn't even help. Like I said things are a bit better.

#823335 --- 06/08/08 07:55 PM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED Offline

Loc: Five Points C25, upon return c...
a 5 year old DRAMA queen...better take care of it now, or forever be sorry you didn't

#823381 --- 06/08/08 08:51 PM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
" Since it's getting warmer out, she's been wanting to play outside a lot more."

Yeah, now you can keep her on a leash in the yard.

"Hopefully this will tire her out so she can sleep better."

Have you considered making her run behind the car when you go places?

#823423 --- 06/09/08 01:09 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: VM Smith]
almostrelieved Offline

Oh stop it! I wouldn't do this to anyone, especially in this heat.

#823428 --- 06/09/08 03:21 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: almostrelieved]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
LOL! I guess my hope of starting an advice column was just a foolish dream.

#823581 --- 06/09/08 09:44 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: VM Smith]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
" Since it's getting warmer out, she's been wanting to play outside a lot more."

Yeah, now you can keep her on a leash in the yard.

"Hopefully this will tire her out so she can sleep better."

LMAO. Now VM.....this was priceless on a Monday morning.

#823603 --- 06/09/08 10:46 AM Re: Drama queen issues, etc- [Re: VM Smith]
The Brain Offline

Loc: Looking to deport Rappers.
Originally Posted By: VM Smith

Poor little guy. Must have kept up with you for a mile or so.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >