FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#807071 --- 05/13/08 03:55 PM Windows XP SP3
Gold Member

There was a thread a while ago that talked about a reboot problem after installing SP3. I stumbled on this info. It seems to address the problem.

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/a...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

FingerLakes1.com
#809837 --- 05/17/08 09:58 PM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: ]
Grey Rider Offline

Loc: hither and yon
Festus, thank you. I was wondering what other problems this new service pack would cause.
As usual, things are not as straight forward as Microsoft would like. I think I'll wait a few months until the updated versions come out.

#810926 --- 05/19/08 07:36 PM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: Grey Rider]
Gold Member

May 16th, 2008
Microsoft, HP ready XP SP3 endless-reboot patches
Posted by Mary Jo Foley @ 11:23 am

Help is on its way for users affected by the Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3 endless-reboot problem that has plagued some users for the past week-plus.

Both Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard are readying patches that should remedy the glitch, which seems to affect primarily users of AMD-based systems.

Microsoft blamed OEMs who improperly placed a Windows XP image created for Intel-based machine on non-Intel-based systems.

HP is advising users running XP on AMD-based systems to delay deploying SP3 until the company releases a patch, which sounds like it is due out this week or next at the latest. From a May 15 report in Computerworld:

“HP is working diligently with Microsoft on a software update and will be proactively distributing a patch this week through HP Update that will prevent this error from occurring….The patch will be posted to this page of HP’s support site when it’s available.

“Microsoft is also developing a prerequisite fix that must be downloaded before SP3 will automatically install prior to its proactive distribution of SP3,” HP statement added.”

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1403&tag=nl.e550

#810933 --- 05/19/08 07:57 PM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: ]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
..and this is why I refuse to activate the automatic update for Windows.

Thank you for this post. I shall wait until they maybe can figure things out.

#811443 --- 05/20/08 12:36 PM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: Tabbytails]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Will they discontinue XP at the end of this month?

#811495 --- 05/20/08 02:09 PM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: bluezone]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Will they discontinue XP at the end of this month?

In a word - No.
Following is an excerpt from an article posted at ITworld.com.
The entire article can be read at: http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/microsoft-responds-to-save-xp-petition-080207/

In response to Infoworld's petition and other pro-XP outpourings of support, a Microsoft spokesperson in the US told Computerworld: "We're aware of it, but are listening first and foremost to feedback we hear from partners and customers about what makes sense based on their needs. That's what informed our decision to extend the availability of XP initially, and what will continue to guide us."

The spokesperson said Windows will not disappear completely from the worldwide market place after the June cutoff, stating the software giant understood that some market segments such as small businesses and emerging market customers require "a little more time" before they upgrade to Vista.

"Therefore OEMs will continue to sell XP through June 30th 2008 and system builders will be able to sell XP through January 2009 as they cater to the small business markets. In emerging markets where XP Starter Edition is sold, it will still be available through June 30th, 2010."

#812142 --- 05/21/08 12:43 AM Re: Windows XP SP3 [Re: ]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
thanks