FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#794932 --- 04/24/08 11:08 PM Documentary-type dvd about health care...
mom2five Offline

Loc: NY
My family recently watched a documentary type dvd about health care, which I feel our country really needs to overhaul......in watching this, "Sicko" - Michael Moore, it opened our eyes enough for family members to say why can't the U.S. do the same? I hope our presidential candidates address health care in our country. Canada, France, Britain and even Cuba have what looks to be a better system. The dvd is worth watching and makes you think. Has anyone else viewed it?

FingerLakes1.com
#794934 --- 04/24/08 11:10 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: mom2five]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Michael Moore is a quack. If you believed 10% of that movie make an appointment with a shrink first thing tomorrow morning.....

#794938 --- 04/25/08 12:41 AM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
mom2five Offline

Z Genius----- all I was saying was that he brought up some points that other countries have been able to make work in their health care systems.......my son and daughter have traveled to other countries and have seen this. I for one cannot afford health insurance and luckily my sons and daughters have been relatively healthy enough that it hasn't become an issue. They now do have some benefits through work, so there is alittle relief for them. I would love to see some changes, for one, in my situation.....and I am not the only one. Something needs to change. Too many unemployed, unisured people and our government needs to do something.

So maybe the guy is a quack, but there could be something in what he says---there are other countries that do different for their people. My comment was just a concern for the people who may need help and the thoughts of a possibility of a better health care system with all the major illnesses. It just seems that alot of people are left out in the cold when it comes to being able to get health care....because it is too expensive. I know alot of people who could benefit from having insurance, deserving it, but can't because they don't have the money to have it, and still at the same time earn too much money to receive any assistance. Then we have the abusers of the system, taking, taking and taking------when they can work, but no, can't do that. They take from the ones who do or have worked that can't get it. And in conclusion, NO, I don't need professional help for just making a statement..........I don't necessarily agree with alot of stuff on here but I don't comment on someone I don't know. Everyone has their own opinions, doesn't make it right to cut people down. So right or wrong,I stated something that concerned me and I guess I shouldn't.

Edited by mom2five (04/25/08 01:02 AM)

#795013 --- 04/25/08 06:29 AM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: mom2five]
Brightday Offline

mom2five. Right on to you. Americans deserve good health care and its coverage.Michael Moore is a TRUE Genius, and recognized by much better minds than those in the minority that put him down.

M. Moore is unkept in his appearance, but his documentaries are brilliant, well-down and right on track.

Here to better and more health care and coverage for all Americans.

#795147 --- 04/25/08 09:26 AM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Brightday]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
There is much that needs to be done with healthcare in this country, but Fat Pants doesn't have the first clue what that might be. He is a sensationalist hack and should be shot. I know I am holding back here, but I can't say how I really feel about him.

#795156 --- 04/25/08 10:02 AM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: mom2five]
reddocer Offline

mom--America has the best health care in the world--Perhaps you are confusing health care insurance with health care Mike Moore HAS NO CLUE.

#795244 --- 04/25/08 12:46 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: reddocer]
1DoctorWhoDalek1 Offline

Loc: NY, Seneca County
Originally Posted By: reddocer
mom--America has the best health care in the world--Perhaps you are confusing health care insurance with health care Mike Moore HAS NO CLUE.

And I am sure that the poster of this thread was simultaneously bringing up the issue of the insurance end of this problem as well as the care. Health insurance and health care are, in fact, tied together and both seem to be exibiting problems. What gave off any indicator that she was getting the two confused?

Surely there must be something unsatisfactory as to how things are being handled if citizens are becoming that concerned. If our health care is so amazing, then why does one with a possibly broken foot due to a box of tiles have to wait around five hours in a non-busy, adequately-staffed hospital before they get any attention? As everyone may gather from the previous statement, it happened to me years ago and I can tell you, I was wondering what was happening to the care aspect.

Those that believe that health care/insurance is perfect these days must have relatively smooth sailing and get the attention they need when they need it unlike so many of us that are, in reality, being denied left and right or kept waiting.

No, I am not by any means defending Mr. Moore as I am not necessarily a fan of his; I am merely expressing my opinion influenced by experience regarding this hot-button issue. Maybe some people other than myself understand the point of this post and actually take it seriously.

#795248 --- 04/25/08 12:54 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: 1DoctorWhoDalek1]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Don't know where you live, and I know this may not be the norm, but between myself, my wife and kids, I have been in the ER three times in the last year. NEVER have I waited more than a half hour for care. NEVER have I felt I was being ignored.

As far as people being concerned about healthcare, Americans are concerned that vaccinations cause autism and cell phones cause brain tumors, yet we still allow cigarettes to be sold in stores. Do you think we have a priority issue?

#795316 --- 04/25/08 02:32 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Greymane]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
This is from 2003, but I have to agree with the author, spot on about MM.

http://timblair.spleenville.com/archives/004446.php

October 11, 2003
MOORE MONEY

Suppose you’re a fat stupid guy with no great education and not even enough motivation to last more than a single day on a production line. You complain all the time, your appearance is terrible, you struggle with accuracy, and you make enemies easily. You think the government is conspiring against you. Your overall skill-set barely qualifies you for homelessness.

With these talents, where on earth might you expect to become a millionaire?

Why, only in the US, which rewards Michael Moore with terrific wealth. His truly is a great American story; blessed only with the ability to bitch and moan and eat, Moore proves by example that even plus-size pullthroughs can make it big. Or, in his case, morbidly obese.

Yet according to Moore, nobody has a realistic shot at wealth:

Listen, friends, you have to face the truth: you are never going to be rich. The chance of that happening is about one in a million. Not only are you never going to be rich, but you are going to have to live the rest of your life busting your butt just to pay the cable bill and the music and art classes for your kid at the public school where they used to be free.

And it is only going to get worse. Forget about a pension, forget about social security, forget about your kids taking care of you when you get old because they are barely going to have the money to take care of themselves.

I wonder how Moore’s fans feel reading this rich guy telling them they’ll never be able to live in his rarefied circumstances -- having bought a copy of his book, thereby making him even richer. Like idiots, probably.

UPDATE. Another Moore contradiction. Here he is in The Guardian:

[Moore] believes some well-placed suicide bombs or terrorist attacks could change everything. "At that point, you will find millions of Americans clamouring for martial law ... The American people will be so freaked out they will demand that the White House take action, round up anyone and everyone. That's what I fear."

And here he is on the Today Show:

"There is no terrorist threat."

UPDATE II. Commenters note that according to Moore’s math -- the likelihood of getting rich is “about one in a million” -- only 280 millionaires must exist in the US. In fact, there are two million. Therefore, your chances of Moore-like riches: 140/1. I like those odds!

Posted by Tim Blair at October 11, 2003 04:26 AM

#795321 --- 04/25/08 02:39 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
There was a meeting in Brighton last night on the Healthcare crisis sponsored by the League of Women Voters.
The reality is that universal health care would lower costs. At the moment our healthcare system is oriented towards health insurance companies and drug companies making profits, not on providing available, quality health care. It will remain that way and costs will continue to rise at 3-4x the increase in wages as long health insurance and drug companies can convince people that universal health care would lead to a lowering of care.
It will certainly lead to a lowering of their profits.

#795526 --- 04/25/08 06:39 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Retired Soldier]
Odysseus Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Originally Posted By: Retired Soldier
There was a meeting in Brighton last night on the Healthcare crisis sponsored by the League of Women Voters.
The reality is that universal health care would lower costs.
At the moment our healthcare system is oriented towards health insurance companies and drug companies making profits, not on providing available, quality health care. It will remain that way and costs will continue to rise at 3-4x the increase in wages as long health insurance and drug companies can convince people that universal health care would lead to a lowering of care.

You are living in a Liberal Dream World - the reality is that there is no health care crisis and that nothing the government has ever stuck their sticky fingers in has ever resulted in lower costs

#795552 --- 04/25/08 07:03 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Greymane]
stargatersg1 Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
Originally Posted By: Greymane
Don't know where you live, and I know this may not be the norm, but between myself, my wife and kids, I have been in the ER three times in the last year. NEVER have I waited more than a half hour for care. NEVER have I felt I was being ignored.

As far as people being concerned about healthcare, Americans are concerned that vaccinations cause autism and cell phones cause brain tumors, yet we still allow cigarettes to be sold in stores. Do you think we have a priority issue?

I have been in the ER on a number of occassions and at different times of the day.
One sunday night around 10pm, I was taken to the ER with chest pains. I was tended to right away and after a number of tests , etc etc and having to wait a certain amount of time between results, I got home a 5:30 am monday. Now this is not unusual when it is a possible heart concern. Certain blood tests have to be taken 4 hours apart to determine if it is indeed a heart attack. I was fine BTW.
Another time , a Saturday afternoon around 5 pm I was in the Er for an elbow injury. That visit took about 3 hours.
At 9 AM on a Monday morning, I spent 3 hours with a muscle spasm in the neck. I had to return the next day at 5pm for severe neck strain and I got home around 8 pm that time.
It all depends too on emergency cases that are more serious. Of course they will treat an accident or possible heart attack before a sore elbow.

#795555 --- 04/25/08 07:07 PM Re: Documentary-type dvd about health care... [Re: Odysseus]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Odysseus
Originally Posted By: Retired Soldier
The reality is that universal health care would lower costs.
At the moment our healthcare system is oriented towards health insurance companies and drug companies making profits, not on providing available, quality health care. It will remain that way and costs will continue to rise at 3-4x the increase in wages as long health insurance and drug companies can convince people that universal health care would lead to a lowering of care.

You are living in a Liberal Dream World - the reality is that there is no health care crisis and that nothing the government has ever stuck their sticky fingers in has ever resulted in lower costs

As usual, you are the one living on another planet. The two most important issues for voters are the economy and healthcare. A majority of doctors believe there is a healthcare crisis and that we need universal healthcare.
But, you have never let facts interfere with what you want to believe and I don't suppose you will begin now.