FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#783956 - 04/04/08 04:34 AM Hillside Hires Criminals
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!

By: Catherine Varnum

Hillside employee accused of having sexual contact with a teen

A Hillside employee is in jail after being accused of violating his probation by having sexual contact with a 16-year-old girl. Police are charging Stephen Platania with criminal sexual act.

Stephen Platania is an employee working at Hillside Children's Center. The center helps rehabilitate children.

Prosecutor Robin Schlia said, “Mr. Platania was arraigned on March 20 in Rochester City Court, on charge of criminal sexual act in third, been referred to grand jury for further action.”

Platania made bail but was arrested again Wednesday night on violating his probation. He was charged in 2006 with grand larceny and put on probation for five years. He stole more than $10,000 from the Pepper Hill Farm Inc. Daycare in Brighton. Platania was the operations manager there. It took probation two weeks to process the new charge and realize he was in violation.

“Hillside is very intolerant of any behavior on part of any staff that violate the trust of children,” Hillside's Executive Director Karen Zandi said. She refused to talk about Platania's job status or his arrest.

News 10NBC asked about background checks for employees and how a man with a felony got hired.

“I can't discuss any particulars regarding this situation.” Zandia said. “Our hiring process is based on nationally agreed upon standards, it includes child abuse checks, criminal background checks.”

Platania is scheduled to be in court Friday to face his probation violation charge.

FingerLakes1.com
#784040 - 04/04/08 08:55 AM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: sparky's back]
Gold Member

IF he had a ROD, he MAY have been eligible to work there.

#784256 - 04/04/08 03:01 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: sparky's back]
Goldstar Offline

Loc: here or there
I worked at Hillside. Yes they do hire criminals. Two of the guys that were arrested for the hate crime in Geneva worked there. One of them was on the girls unit. I know for a fact this guy is a womanizing scum! When I was walking with some of my clients and saw him for the first time my heart sank. I couldnt believe my eyes. I do not know if he went back to work there after he served jail time but I know he was just arrested again. Sad thing is he has a degree and that is pretty much all they care about. I obviously did not stay there long.

#784309 - 04/04/08 04:23 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: Goldstar]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: Goldstar
I worked at Hillside. Yes they do hire criminals. Two of the guys that were arrested for the hate crime in Geneva worked there. One of them was on the girls unit. I know for a fact this guy is a womanizing scum! When I was walking with some of my clients and saw him for the first time my heart sank. I couldnt believe my eyes. I do not know if he went back to work there after he served jail time but I know he was just arrested again. Sad thing is he has a degree and that is pretty much all they care about. I obviously did not stay there long.

Is it RS?

#785360 - 04/07/08 12:19 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: sparky's back]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Any place that hires a convicted criminal gets what they deserve.

#785362 - 04/07/08 12:24 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
From what i understand they dont do drug tests either

#785364 - 04/07/08 12:33 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456
Any place that hires a convicted criminal gets what they deserve.

You just cant help being a butt can you?

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#785405 - 04/07/08 01:25 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: Gio]
Red22 Offline

Loc: ny
On more than a few occasions I have heard several Hillside employees discussing clients at very inappropriate times and places, and honestly I can't believe that the behavior of some employees is tolerated.

I just wanted to add that there are employees there that truly do care about the kids and take their job very seriously. Hillside needs more employees like them! \:\)

Edited by Red22 (04/07/08 01:28 PM)

#785430 - 04/07/08 02:24 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: Gio]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Originally Posted By: Gio
You just cant help being a butt can you?

LOL!

#785439 - 04/07/08 02:43 PM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: sparky's back]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Originally Posted By: sparky's back
Originally Posted By: Goldstar

Is it RS?

Sounds like it. \:\)

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#785764 - 04/08/08 11:41 AM Re: Hillside Hires Criminals [Re: sparky's back]
Goldstar Offline

Loc: here or there
Yeah it is. One of the other guys(JB)he was arrested with worked there too. Both get arrested for fighting, and not just once. Not who Id want working with children who already have problems.