Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#779425 --- 03/28/08 12:45 PM Date set for Connolly's trial
vicky413 Offline

Loc: USA
Date set for Connolly's trial

By CRAIG FOX
Friday, March 28, 2008 9:56 AM CDT

WATERLOO - Former Seneca County Sheriff Leo T. Connolly's trial has been scheduled for Aug. 11.

Connolly, who didn't seek re-election in November, is accused of lying to the grand jury and targeting critics who wrote negative comments about him and the sheriff's department on the public Internet forum, fingerlakes1.com.

Last August, Connolly and five others, including former Undersheriff James Larson, were indicted after an eight-month grand jury investigation into possible misappropriation of property and other wrongdoing in the department.

The charges against Connolly are first-degree perjury, first-degree offering a instrument for filing, second-degree falsifying business records, three counts of official misconduct and rewarding official misconduct.

Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo, who is the Ontario County district attorney, said that this is a unique situation.

“It's a significant case with the defendant and who he is,” Tantillo said, declining to comment on the extensive media coverage that's expected.

At one point, Connolly's attorney, Robert Napier, tried unsuccessfully to get Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey to move the trial to another jurisdiction because of the pretrial publicity it was receiving.

Napier couldn't be reached for comment.

On Feb. 13, Larson pleaded guilty to several felonies and is now serving a 21-month sentence in the Ontario County jail.

On Thursday, Deputy Josh Zona was convicted of petty larceny.

Former part-time Deputy Michael Baroody was convicted in January of petty larceny for taking two tires. Two other deputies, Scott Buck and Chris Constable, also face petty larceny charges, but their trials haven't been scheduled yet.

The probe began in late 2005 with an internal investigation by two sheriff investigators, who had heard of possible thefts in the department.

State police got involved after a suspicious Feb. 3, 2006, fire that destroyed a warehouse at the former Seneca Army Depot, where tires and other departmental property was stored.

cfox@fltimes.com

FingerLakes1.com
#779780 --- 03/28/08 09:31 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: vicky413]
116obama Offline

Loc: Fayette
poor leo

#779819 --- 03/29/08 12:06 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: 116obama]
BEerwoman1 Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Little vendatta here?

#780023 --- 03/29/08 10:28 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: BEerwoman1]
satinnite2003 Offline

Vendatta? Leo sat by and watched the SCSD crumble before his eyes. He knowingly allowed certain individuals to get away with everything they are being convicted of. Poor Leo, give me a break!!!!

#857165 --- 08/10/08 08:58 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: satinnite2003]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Ex-sheriff’s trial starts Monday

WATERLOO — Prospective jurors are expected to pack the Seneca County courtroom Monday morning to wait and see if they’ll be picked to serve in the abuse of power trial of former sheriff Leo T. Connolly.

Last week, Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey sent out affidavits to about 100 residents who were told to be at the courthouse at 9 a.m. Monday. Previously, as many as 700 summonses were sent out to possible jurors.

Prospective witnesses have been told that jury selection could take a couple of days and would be done differently than they are normally, with meetings with possible jurors held one at a time.

Jury commission officials have blocked out two weeks for the trial. Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo, Ontario County’s district attorney, has estimated he’ll call about two dozen witnesses.

On Friday, Connolly’s attorney, Robert Napier of Rochester, said he didn’t want to comment on how many witnesses he’ll call or how he’ll defend his client. He also wouldn’t comment about how easy or difficult it will be to find a jury that can be fair given that the case has received so much media scrutiny.

“It’s the flimsiest case I’ve ever seen,” Napier told the Times two weeks ago.

In late 2005 and early 2006, investigators Robert Lahr and Jason Deal began conducting an internal investigation into whether members of the sheriff’s office were stealing department property. State police got involved in the case after a Feb. 3, 2006, fire destroyed a warehouse at the former Seneca Army Depot where the items had been stored.

No one was ever charged in the fire.

By CRAIG FOX
Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:32 AM CDT
Finger Lakes Times

#857177 --- 08/10/08 09:26 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: newsman38]
seneca_lady Offline

Loc: seneca falls
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Unknown source

#857208 --- 08/10/08 10:52 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: newsman38]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
A family member recieved jury duty via subpoema, strange.

#857234 --- 08/10/08 12:15 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Senecamom]
SoSeneca Offline

Loc: South Seneca Co.
He'll get no jail time.
This is a show trial to appease the masses.

That and I don't want the SCSD to come looking for me.

#857936 --- 08/11/08 03:39 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SoSeneca]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Loc: Waterfalls NY
The picture on the front page of Finger Lakes 1 of Connolly walking by the old sheriff's office is classic. It has an " Inmate Receiving" sign to the right of him. Hopefully that sign will apply to him soon.

#858449 --- 08/12/08 10:35 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
CitizenStraub Offline

Loc: Seneca County, NY
I hope they make an example of him and throw the book at him. Like many Seneca County residents who have almost lost hope in our County Government, I have a hunch he'll walk.

#858452 --- 08/12/08 10:55 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: CitizenStraub]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
I think by all accounts it is a weak case, save the taxpayers money, and let him plead to the misdemeaners, huge fine. Lets heal this thing. I also think Connolly and his family have suffered from this scandal orchestrated by Larson.

#858454 --- 08/12/08 11:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Can't agree, Buddy. You choose the people, you are responsible for those choices. Your people screw up, you screwed up. There is no responsibility anymore. I am not saying it makes Connolly a bad person, but he should have known what was going on and is responsible for the acts as the senior officer. He made poor choices in both the personnel he selected and the lack of oversight provided (at the very least).

#858648 --- 08/12/08 04:56 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
sour mash man Offline

Loc: ny
Greymane is absolutely correct, Connolly's lawyer says all the charges are the fault of his underlings. Not knowing what they were doing?? Spare me the violin concerto. He was elected as the BOSS. He was promised a free ride by the GOP. Just sit back for 4 years. Larson will run things. After all he was trained by Fox. Don't worry, the dept. will be on autopilot. They were like children in a candy store with taxpayer dollars. Connolly didn't know what his underlings were doing. Give me a break. If he took just a 10% interest in the place he would have seen what was going on. This trial will be embarrassing for many people. And don't forget, the county board of supervisors sat by and watched all the money being spent and did nothing. The BOS was the check and balance, what were they afraid of?

#858876 --- 08/12/08 10:18 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sour mash man]
queenbee Offline

Loc: soul quest
Agreed, he will walk as will the others. No one will forget and no one will trust SCSD. They have lost respect in this community and if you don't have the respect and trust of the ppl what's left? Wise-cracks ,jokes and ridicule I am even guilty of that myself and now I think about it , it really is a sad situation. I had an occassion to have a conversation a few months ago with another officer in another county and I asked him what his county thought about it and he said "it was funny, and there are many reasons SCSD is so screwed up". (Actually a SCSD deputy had given me some wrong information) and he said that's why they were in the position they were in, they weren't doing right by the ppl not doing their job. Oh Well.

#858979 --- 08/13/08 05:43 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: queenbee]
ohsama Offline

Loc: Would you like to know?
Bad judgment isn't a crime. The DA has to prove the ex-sheriff actually broke a law.

#859035 --- 08/13/08 08:31 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ohsama]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Another issue is did Connolly have intent in each of the charges, I see the felonies being tossed and convicted of the misdemeaners. A big county court trial, costing big bucks that serves no purpose, The man has been punished enough.

#859309 --- 08/13/08 04:35 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Denny Crane Offline

Loc: Seneca County
What about Sharon Secor?

#859366 --- 08/13/08 06:20 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: Buddy
I think by all accounts it is a weak case, save the taxpayers money, and let him plead to the misdemeaners, huge fine. Lets heal this thing. I also think Connolly and his family have suffered from this scandal orchestrated by Larson.

Ditto Buddy!

#859404 --- 08/13/08 07:48 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
They picked that jury fast.

#859626 --- 08/14/08 05:30 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Sweetcakes]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
of course not, I bet some people were more than willing to sit on that jury

#859628 --- 08/14/08 05:34 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Ranger]
sparky's back Offline

Are relitives allowed to be part of the jury?

#859632 --- 08/14/08 05:46 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Ranger]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Lurking
Originally Posted By: Ranger

I was happier than happy to NOT be chosen to sit on that jury. Most of the people I talked to during jury selection WANTED to be on the jury, but only because they had never done it before and they wanted the experience of it all. And then there were those who were salivating to be on it, just because...

Sparks, I don't believe Tantillo would allow a relative to be chosen. They'd be biased.

If you're not livin on the edge
you're not livin

#859639 --- 08/14/08 06:01 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
sparky's back Offline

Originally Posted By: ~livinontheedge~

I was happier than happy to NOT be chosen to sit on that jury. Most of the people I talked to during jury selection WANTED to be on the jury, but only because they had never done it before and they wanted the experience of it all. And then there were those who were salivating to be on it, just because...

Sparks, I don't believe Tantillo would allow a relative to be chosen. They'd be biased.

Well what if he didn't know?

#859642 --- 08/14/08 06:06 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

They interview them at the 2nd screening on the witness stand. If memory serves me correctly, they ask, under oath, if there is any reason they should not be on the jury....something to that effect and if a relative in fact did say no, they would be committing perjury. Being a relative would be perceived as being biased. I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me on any of that, but that's how I believe they would find out.

you're not livin

#859644 --- 08/14/08 06:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
sparky's back Offline

Hmmm..I will have to find out for sure.

#859645 --- 08/14/08 06:15 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Sorry, it was 6 years ago when I served on a trial jury. You know I can't remember 6 days ago

you're not livin

#859646 --- 08/14/08 06:17 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
sparky's back Offline

Sorry, it was 6 years ago when I served on a trial jury. You know I can't remember 6 days ago

It MUST be all the booze you drink ;\)

#859649 --- 08/14/08 06:19 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: sparky's back

It MUST be all the booze you drink ;\)

Yep, you got it. That's what it is. I'm so happy I know that it's the booze and not dementia setting in.
Yetta has a name for it, boozehag... maybe??? LOL

Edited by ~livinontheedge~ (08/14/08 06:21 AM)

you're not livin

#859668 --- 08/14/08 06:50 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: sparky's back
Hmmm..I will have to find out for sure.

no, you can't be a relative

actually you're not supposed to even be familiar with/or close friends of the defendant, their lawyer, or the DA.

#859670 --- 08/14/08 06:52 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Ranger]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

It's a pretty strict screening process. I wouldn't imagine a relative could get through it without perjuring themselves.

you're not livin

#859679 --- 08/14/08 07:05 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Bonehead Offline

Loc: My Mind

Preponderance of the evidence was enough to indict Leo. I have no doubts that the trial jury will find him guilty. Your giving Larson far too much credit as a ring leader. From the guilty deputies on up, they all have a mind of their own and yet they did wrong. My concern isn't with the verdict or what sort of time Leo may or may not serve. I'm hoping that this trial will loosen up the judicial grip on those GJ Report that have been sealed for far too long.

#859701 --- 08/14/08 07:54 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Bonehead]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

My thinking is Larson was the ringleader and kept Leo in the dark. Poor judgement, poor leadership, and no dedication, are Leo's crimes and that is just an opinion.

#859850 --- 08/14/08 11:54 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/wireready/stories/00906_Greg-OpeningStatements.mp2

all I can say is wow, this is rediculous, video of employees having sex. Why?

#860068 --- 08/14/08 04:47 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
poohbear66 Offline

Loc: ny, usa
Even if the find him guilty, he will walk- he will appeal that takes about 6-9 months then if he loses that he will appeal again, more time to wait and I have heard his health is not good - so he will never to any jail time, so why waste the money?
All of the trials have been found gulity already and how many of them are still in jail? what is the total amount of time they have done compared to the price tag on all this?

#860079 --- 08/14/08 05:13 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Conundrum Offline

talk about poor judgment. watch the R news video. Heres Connolly and son smoking right in front of the "no smoking signs" some never learn......Check the sons look of the deer in the head lights....to funny

#860330 --- 08/14/08 08:52 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Conundrum]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

It don't look good for Leo, they are setting this up so he looks like a jerk and pervert. Leo is the kind of guy, just looking at him, you don't like him. I personally have never met him. But from earlier news footage he came across poorly. I still say save the county some big bucks and let him plead to misdemeaner. Huge fine and let him and his family put this Larson induced scandal behind them. Don't we have better things to do with our monies than waste it on this?

#860409 --- 08/14/08 09:29 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Yeah, What about Sharon Secor?

#860725 --- 08/15/08 10:12 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Denny Crane Offline

What about Sharon?

What about Stenberg ?

What about our District Attorney?

#860747 --- 08/15/08 11:04 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Denny Crane]
Nathan Offline

Loc: up
I liked the part where Leo was never told about Larson's background check, and the JERK who testified said he "thought he just knew".

#860748 --- 08/15/08 11:05 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]
Nathan Offline

Napier is gonna have a field day with this thing.

#860751 --- 08/15/08 11:06 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
Nathan Offline

It's a pretty strict screening process. I wouldn't imagine a relative could get through it without perjuring themselves.

It happened with Donna Cathy. A relative of her husband got on one of her juries.

#860769 --- 08/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]
Greymane Offline

Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter is made president of the company by this big tobacco company. I can't believe that Leo is that stupid.

#860779 --- 08/15/08 12:30 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Nathan Offline

Very incriminating.

Walker also identifed an email she sent to all sheriff's department employees on June 9th 2004 six months after Leo Connolly was elected sheriff. The email-from Sheriff Connolly-indicated Undersheriff James Larson was incharge of the day-to-day activities of the department.

Walker told the court that in 2004 "there were issues" between Connolly and Larson, adding "they didn't get along." She also testifed that there was an attempt to have Connolly reveiw all time sheets in the department, but it took too much time to review so Larson approved them. She also said "I knew I was to keep things from Sheriff Connolly" When asked for examples, she said compaints between employees were to be handled by Larson.

When asked about Larson's treatment towards her as a superior in the department she said he was "demeaning" and Larson sexually harassed her.

Walker also identified a notebook that she had put together at the request of Undersheriff Larson. He ordered her to eveyday print out posts from the forums on http://www.fingerlakes1.com which concerned the sheriffs department and place them in the notebook. She added Leo Connolly never looked at the notebook.

#860811 --- 08/15/08 01:37 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
So what exactly was Connolly really doing as Sheriff? Sitting back, doing nothing, following up on nothing, collecting a pay check and hoping to enjoy a free ride at taxpayer's expense?

#860825 --- 08/15/08 02:07 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Greymane Offline

Now, TRD, that is a terrible accusation. That would lump him with about a quarter of Seneca County's population.

#861143 --- 08/15/08 11:32 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Senecamom]
Spec1902 Offline

Loc: Oz
Originally Posted By: senecamom
A family member recieved jury duty via subpoema, strange.

Seneca--Just in case you were wondering, several hundred jury summons (mine included) were hand-delivered via the Sheriff's Dept and State Police because there wasn't enough time to get them all in the mail.

Also, as someone spoke of earlier, you can't be related to any of the people scheduled for the witness stand either to serve on the jury.

#861146 --- 08/15/08 11:39 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Spec1902]
Senecamom Offline

Not related to any, I wondered if they simply did not have time to get them all in the mail as well.

No one here was selected. Interesting facts coming out...

Thanks.

#861168 --- 08/16/08 02:31 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
OhMyGod Offline

Loc: County
My thinking is Larson was the ringleader and kept Leo in the dark. Poor judgement, poor leadership, and no dedication, are Leo's crimes and that is just an opinion.

Well Buddy, your opinion blows! How can anyone who has the ability to read think that this SMUCK is guilty of nothing more than what you say. For the love of God and all that is Holy, he was elected the friggin Sheriff! I don't care if it was to just sit back and collect a paycheck for 4 years. I don't care if he was personally trained by Fox. He was still elected the BOSS and he should have acted that way. That is the problem from podunck hicksville to the national scene, nobody takes responsiblity for their actions. But of course you know that, don't you Buddy?

Edited by FL1 Mod 2 (08/18/08 11:58 AM)

#861217 --- 08/16/08 07:46 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: OhMyGod]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Come on everyone, Leo was the big FBI agent. You can't tell me he knew nothing. The sheriff's department in not like NYPD where there are thousands of employees at different locations. This is a small department located in one building with a couple of unmaned sub-stations. I am sure everyone there knows everything about what goes on in that department and all about each other both on duty and off. I bet you couldn't brake wind in that place with out the whole department knowing it. Leo is so full of you know what. Open your eyes people. He pulled the wool over your eyes when he ran for sheriff and now he is trying it again. Maybe Seneca County got just what they deserved when they elected that bum into office. Yes, I voted for the other guy.

#862206 --- 08/18/08 11:04 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sour mash man]
juniper_pine Offline

Loc: S. Seneca Cty
I have to agree with sour mash, while noting that I have seen ZERO improvement in the SCSD under the "new" administration." Despite the campaign promises to revive the public's trust in the Dept., it's very clear to me that it is the same old political rhetoric which, we the taxpayers, are being subjected to.

#862213 --- 08/18/08 11:24 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: juniper_pine]
oldmedic Offline

Originally Posted By: juniper_pine
I have to agree with sour mash, while noting that I have seen ZERO improvement in the SCSD under the "new" administration." Despite the campaign promises to revive the public's trust in the Dept., it's very clear to me that it is the same old political rhetoric which, we the taxpayers, are being subjected to.
What inprovements would you like to see made? What problems in the SCSD need change? Need ideas, or is this a statement because you did,nt like the election results?

#862224 --- 08/18/08 12:03 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
Greymane Offline

Yes, if you see problems with the current operations, please be specific.

#862610 --- 08/18/08 07:51 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
handyman Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
I would feel a little bit better with a Sheriff that wasn't involved in some shape or form with whats been going on.

#862642 --- 08/18/08 08:17 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: handyman]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

I've known Stenberg for over 30 years I have never witnessed or heard of him doing anything illegal or improper. He is an in your face kind of man. You either like him or hate him. He is no liar.

#862852 --- 08/19/08 05:28 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
tezzer59 Offline

Loc: finger lakes
I didn't see any reporting on yesterdays testimony. Was there court yesterday?

#862860 --- 08/19/08 05:51 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: tezzer59]
tigger218 Offline

Loc: W'loo
Probably wasn't "news worthy" for the FL times - you know Ty was in town...

#862896 --- 08/19/08 07:04 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: handyman]
oldmedic Offline

Originally Posted By: handyman
I would feel a little bit better with a Sheriff that wasn't involved in some shape or form with whats been going on.
Nice try! The voters didn,t buy that story, and they still don,t!!

#862920 --- 08/19/08 07:39 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
Greymane Offline

That is right, Oldmedic. This has been hashed over for many months. You have two choices. One is a sheriff that could possibly be linked to the mess in your mind (because pretty much anyone in the county could be linked if you try hard enough). The other option is a sheriff from out of the area that has not ties to the area and no experience with the local population. Certainly, Stenberg was a great choice (and, in my opinion, the best choice).

#862925 --- 08/19/08 07:56 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Nathan Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
That is right, Oldmedic. This has been hashed over for many months. You have two choices. One is a sheriff that could possibly be linked to the mess in your mind (because pretty much anyone in the county could be linked if you try hard enough). The other option is a sheriff from out of the area that has not ties to the area and no experience with the local population. Certainly, Stenberg was a great choice (and, in my opinion, the best choice).

Exactly. Steele's people still have red butts over the election.

#862936 --- 08/19/08 08:22 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
Bonehead Offline

Loc: My Mind
Originally Posted By: oldmedic
Nice try! The voters didn,t buy that story, and they still don,t!!

Oldie,you and others know my opinion of Stenberg. Do you believe as I do, that he is the subject of a GJ Report? Hopefully,at the conclusion of this trial,the reports will be made Public for all to see. More,tangible changes need to take place. What bugs me,is,if he is so "honorable" why did he run and why won't he step down? This would be the most "honorable" thing he can do as a result of his,yet to be known, connection to this mess.

#862979 --- 08/19/08 09:23 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Bonehead]
oldmedic Offline

How do you know he is the subject of the GJ report? If working for the DA makes him guilty, isn,t everyone who worked for the county and SCSD guilty?

#862985 --- 08/19/08 09:37 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
Greymane Offline

That certainly seems to be what is implied. Heck, I am certain the State Police and SFPD knew what was going on, as well. We should just lock them all up.

#863043 --- 08/19/08 10:49 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
handyman Offline

I've known Stenberg for over 30 years I have never witnessed or heard of him doing anything illegal or improper. He is an in your face kind of man. You either like him or hate him. He is no liar.

I never implied that he was a liar or anything else. I just said I would feel better if we had a Sheriff that wasn't tied to any of this crap. From reading the most recent reports of the current trial, Mr Stenburg was up to his elbows in what was going on. That isn't saying that he did anything other than what he was told to do but wouldnt you think if a couple of young Sheriff Dept members had the b_lls to stand up and say "this isnt right" and start their own investigation within jeapardizing their own careers, that a respected, retired New York State Trooper employed by the District Attorneys Office would know the difference between something legit and something underhanded. But then, maybe I'm giving them too much credit to be able to know the difference between right and wrong.

#863053 --- 08/19/08 10:59 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: handyman]
oldmedic Offline

I never implied that he was a liar or anything else. I just said I would feel better if we had a Sheriff that wasn't tied to any of this crap. From reading the most recent reports of the current trial, Mr Stenburg was up to his elbows in what was going on. That isn't saying that he did anything other than what he was told to do but wouldnt you think if a couple of young Sheriff Dept members had the b_lls to stand up and say "this isnt right" and start their own investigation within jeapardizing their own careers, that a respected, retired New York State Trooper employed by the District Attorneys Office would know the difference between something legit and something underhanded. But then, maybe I'm giving them too much credit to be able to know the difference between right and wrong.
If it looks like sour grapes, and it smells like sour grapes, Well, you get the picture!!

#863074 --- 08/19/08 11:25 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: oldmedic]
ohsama Offline

Deputies testify about dive trip

By CRAIG FOX

WATERLOO — Two former Seneca County Sheriff Department dive team members testified Monday that they were told that their 2005 diving trip to Florida was a vacation, even though they were being paid.

Investigator Lou VanCleef Jr. and Deputy Chris Constable testified that former Undersheriff James Larson said they didn’t have to put in for vacation time while there.

The four-day January 2005 trip included just one day of diving in Key Largo; and they hung out in Fort Lauderdale and Miami after the second day in the water was canceled because of bad weather, they told Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo.

The statements came in the third day of testimony in the trial of former Sheriff Leo T. Connolly, who is charged with six counts, including falsifying a business record in connection with the trip. He and five other past and current members of the department were indicted last August.

Connolly is accused of providing false information on a Travel Request Form that showed he approved the trip taken by former Chief Deputy Michael Cleere, Larson, VanCleef and Constable to “maintain dive certification.”

Tantillo contends that Connolly knew it was nothing more than a vacation, and the travel form was put together after the fact because county employees back home heard they were in Florida on the county clock.

The four men paid the expenses for travel, lodging and meals out of their own pockets and the county didn’t incur any costs, Constable and VanCleef said.

While they were in the Fort Lauderdale airport on the way home, VanCleef got a phone call from his now ex-wife, Cheryl Walker, telling him that rumors were circulating about the circumstances of the trip, VanCleef testified.

During cross-examination, he also testified that he went to put in time for vacation but Connolly told him “it didn’t matter much if it was in Seneca Lake or Florida” where they dove. VanCleef will be back on the witness stand for more cross-examination this morning.

In earlier testimony, retired County Manager Sharon Secor told jurors that Connolly wanted to submit the Travel Request Form on Jan. 13, 2005, on behalf of the four dive team members because he’d forgotten to do it before they left.

It was so hastily done that Connolly inadvertently signed “2004” when it was actually 2005, and it had to be corrected, Secor testified.

However, defense attorney Robert Napier submitted into evidence a responding e-mail that Secor sent to a county resident assuring the woman that proper procedures were followed.

Napier’s strategy throughout the trial has been to defend Connolly by pointing the finger at Larson, who pleaded guilty for several felonies for stealing department property and targeting residents who criticized him on the Internet public forum, FingerLakes1.com.

While being cross-examined by Napier, several prosecution witnesses have acknowledged that Larson was a dominating figure, who ran the day-to-day operations of the sheriff’s department through threat and coercion. He wouldn’t allow underlings in the department to talk to Connolly without first going through him, they’ve testified.

During direct testimony, Constable and Buck acknowledged that Larson convinced them to take property belonging to the sheriff’s department. Both deputies have been suspended, but Tantillo pointed out that they’ve cooperated in his investigation, so he wants the judge to dismiss the charges.

During cross-examination, Constable and Buck described their former boss as a liar and someone they didn’t trust. They also testified that Larson directed them to look at a state computer system that enables law enforcement to get vital information about residents; in this case, he wanted details about a Fayette couple, Robert and Robin Lukowski, who wrote negative postings about Larson on FingerLakes1.com.

By going on the system, they could find the Lukowskis’ address, vehicle type, year, and registration and whether they had any traffic violations or a criminal record, they said.

Larson then told them to go out, follow them and charge them with anything they could, they both testified. They ignored Larson’s order, they both said, because they thought it was wrong.

Under Napier’s cross-examination, they acknowledged that Connolly had not instructed them to target the couple.

Both Lukowskis also testified, telling Tantillo that their postings included comments supporting Connolly’s Democratic opponent, Robert Steele, in the 2003 sheriff’s race.

In their postings, they also questioned how Connolly could have picked Larson as his runningmate given that he’d been kicked out the banking industry for allegedly forging customer proxy votes while he was an employee of the former Savings Bank of the Finger Lakes, they testified.

Robin Lukowski, who worked at the bank with Larson, told Napier that she didn’t like him. When asked why, she answered, “because he gave me the creeps.”

Current Sheriff Jack Stenberg was on the witness stand for much of the morning, explaining how he became involved in trying to find out the identities of the people who were posting on FingerLakes1.com. when he was an investigator in the Seneca County District Attorney’s office.

Stenberg testified that Connolly was upset that someone was spreading rumors that he was stopped for DWI in Ontario County, and that District Attorney Richard Swinehart, assigned him the case. Earlier in the trial, Christine Deal, who works in Swinehart’s office, noted that Connolly visited that office a couple of times a week.

The investigation also included looking into who’d posted information about a drug arrest involving three men in July 2004. VanCleef testified that he wanted to use one of the men as a confidential informant, but his effectiveness may have been jeopardized by the information about the arrest becoming public.

cfox@fltimes.com

#863431 --- 08/19/08 06:43 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Old Broad Offline

Loc: Whitewater, Ca. USA

Well Buddy, Mr. Connolly was the TOP COP for Seneca County. The BUCK has to stop somewhere and as long as he had the title, then he should have to suffer right along with his underlings. He should have known what Mr. Larson was doing. I say, suffer.

#863464 --- 08/19/08 07:16 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Old Broad]
ohsama Offline

Another disgruntled Steele cheerleader heard from.

#863707 --- 08/19/08 10:24 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Old Broad]
Bill Clark Offline

Loc: Vacationland
Frankly, as the Sheriff he should fall on his sword. Something goes wrong on a Navy ship the commanding officer is responsible. Ergo, the Sheriff is responsible for the conduct of those under his command. 'Nuff said.

#863721 --- 08/19/08 10:33 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Bill Clark]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Well, then Sharon should be shielded from this as well, I mean if the Sheriff didn't know what was going on and it was his responsibility, Sharon didn't obviously know either and it was her responsibility.....

#863906 --- 08/20/08 08:44 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Old Broad]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Old Broad

Well Buddy, Mr. Connolly was the TOP COP for Seneca County. The BUCK has to stop somewhere and as long as he had the title, then he should have to suffer right along with his underlings. He should have known what Mr. Larson was doing. I say, suffer.

I completely agree with you oldbroad. Connolly was the top guy. As such he should have been on top of everything that was going on. If he wasn't, then he obviously wasn't living up to his responsibilities for the position he held and wasn't ensuring that he was doing the best job for the citizens of Seneca County.

#863915 --- 08/20/08 08:52 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
ohsama Offline

Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma

I completely agree with you oldbroad. Connolly was the top guy. As such he should have been on top of everything that was going on. If he wasn't, then he obviously wasn't living up to his responsibilities for the position he held and wasn't ensuring that he was doing the best job for the citizens of Seneca County.

That may be true, but it doesn't prove him guilty of any crime.

#863926 --- 08/20/08 09:09 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ohsama]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Do you honestly think he didn't know what was going on? He would have to be an idiot not to have known.

#863954 --- 08/20/08 09:45 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Nathan Offline

What anyone "believes" is irrelevant. From the testimony presented, so far, it's apparent that Larsen was making a concerted effort to hide certain things from Connolly.

No one has directly connected him to any criminal activity at this point.

#864045 --- 08/20/08 01:23 PM Credible witness?? [Re: Nathan]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
Larson testifies against former boss

By CRAIG FOX
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:15 AM CDT

WATERLOO — Former Seneca County Undersheriff James Larson testified Tuesday that retired Sheriff Leo T. Connolly was obsessed with finding out who was writing negative comments about them on FingerLakes1.com.

When he discovered, in 2005, that a Fayette couple was among the posters, Connolly wanted Larson to find out what vehicles Robert and Robin Lukowski drove and get the word out to the road patrol to stop them if they were seen violating any vehicle and traffic laws, Larson said.

“If they were stopped, they’d be given a ‘zero tolerance,’” Larson told the seven-man, five-women jury, providing perhaps the most damaging testimony, so far, against Connolly.

So, Larson said he had a 911 dispatch supervisor use a state database to access the Lukowskis’ address and the type of cars they drove and also learned that they had a trailer.

Larson then ordered Deputy Chris Constable to go out, follow them and charge them with anything he could, Larson admitted. When Constable was unsuccessful, Larson said he instructed Deputy Scott Buck to do it.

In previous testimony, Buck and Constable testified that they knew it would be wrong to follow the couple and never did it.

Larson also testified that it was Connolly’s idea to cover up a Florida trip that dive team members — Larson, Constable, Investigator Lou VanCleef Jr. and former Chief Deputy Michael Cleere — took on county time in January 2005.

Larson, who organized the trip, told jurors that he got a call from Connolly while the four were in the Philadelphia airport on their way home. That’s when Connolly told him that he’d been mentioned on the Internet forum once again.

“For what now?” he asked.

For taking the Florida trip on county time, Connolly answered, telling him not to worry, he’d take care of it, Larson testified, noting that Connolly said he’d submit a county Travel Request Form to Sharon Secor, who was county manager at the time.

Connolly is accused of falsifying business records for allegedly turning in the travel form, indicating they were in Florida to “maintain dive certification,” when it was really a vacation.

Tantillo contends the travel form was put together after the fact because county employees back home heard they were in Florida on the county clock. The four men paid their own travel, lodging and meals expenses out of their own pockets and the county didn’t incur any costs, Larson said.

For much of his trial strategy, defense attorney Robert Napier has focused on blaming Larson for the wrongdoing within the department. Using testimony from several witnesses, Napier has painted Larson as a dominating figure and someone his underlings didn’t trust.

But Tantillo had tried to lesson the impact of those statements, by asking Larson during direct examination, about how he felt about what he’d done. Larson repeated some of what he’d said at his February sentencing on two counts of fourth-degree possession of stolen property and several counts of official misconduct: that what he’d done was wrong, he regretted it, and it should not reflecton the rest of the department’s integrity.

During cross-examination, Napier asked Larson several times whether he’d targeted the Lukowskis because they knew Larson hadn’t told the sheriff’s department, before he was made undersheriff, that he’d been thrown out of the banking industry for forging customer proxy votes at the former Savings Bank of the Finger Lakes. He and Robin Lukowski worked at the bank years ago.

But Larson told Napier he thought he would have been hired even if he had told them.

Napier also attacked the credibility of Larson’s testimony that he didn’t care about the FingerLakes1 postings and didn’t read them. Napier pointed out that Larson ordered Connolly’s secretary, Cheryl Walker, to make copies of all the postings about the department and put them in a three-ring binder.

During the morning session, VanCleef finished off his testimony from Monday. Much of it centered on the perjury charge against Connolly. VanCleef testified that he never “looked into” who’d posted information about an unpublicized drug arrest in which he’d hoped to turn a local man into a confidential informant, but he learned later that it was senior corrections officer David Jensen who’d written about it.

In his grand jury testimony, Connolly testified that VanCleef handled the investigation into the posting and VanCleef reported to him that “he couldn’t get anywhere with it.”

Napier went after VanCleef’s credibility by submitting an e-mail into evidence that showed Van Cleef had received information from the FingerLakes1.com operator indicating the identities of Jensen, Robert Lukowski, Teri Durso and Tom Castiglione.

An argument is being made that Connolly used the alleged leak about the drug arrest as the reason they were investigating posters and needed their identities.

Seneca County District Attorney Richard Swinehart finished the day’s testimony by saying that Connolly came back from a May 30, 2007, grand jury session admitting that he “had to do some dancing” during Tantillo’s difficult questioning.

But he got through it because Tantillo failed to ask him some questions, and he didn’t answer them completely. If it went further, “it would have been trouble,” Connolly told Swinehart.

Judge W. Patrick Falvey also excused Juror No. 2 without providing an explanation Tuesday. Last week, the juror told Falvey she had a family medical emergency.

#864064 --- 08/20/08 01:37 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ohsama]
SilverFox Offline

Originally Posted By: ohsama

Better take your head out of that dark place and take a good look at OB's location. Since she is in Whitewater CA, I doubt very seriously that she is a "disgruntled Steele cheerleader".

My question would be: If everything is Larson's fault, why did Larson get off with a light sentence to begin with and is now out on parole? At some point, Connolly has to take responsibility for knowing what was going in his department. If he really didn't know, he should have known instead of spending so much time and effort worrying about what was being said on FL1.

#864091 --- 08/20/08 01:59 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SilverFox]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: SilverFox
Originally Posted By: ohsama

Better take your head out of that dark place and take a good look at OB's location. Since she is in Whitewater CA, I doubt very seriously that she is a "disgruntled Steele cheerleader".

My question would be: If everything is Larson's fault, why did Larson get off with a light sentence to begin with and is now out on parole? At some point, Connolly has to take responsibility for knowing what was going in his department. If he really didn't know, he should have known instead of spending so much time and effort worrying about what was being said on FL1.

Sounds like you have him convicted already.

#864095 --- 08/20/08 02:01 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: seneca_lady]
farmboy Offline

That would be a paraphrase of a quote from Ghandi

#864146 --- 08/20/08 03:13 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
SilverFox Offline

Here we go again.

No, I am not on the jury and I do not have all the facts or a final opinion as to his guilt of the things he is charged with. The jury will decide that. All I have is an opinion on what it means to be Seneca County Sheriff.

My response was meant mostly questioning Larson's role since it seems that the defense wants to make Larson solely responsible. My statement as to Connolly's responsibility is the same as the way people feel about President Bush. The head man takes the responsibility for knowing what is going on or, if he doesn't know, trying to find out because he is going to be held responsible either way. The buck has to stop somewhere. Maybe the trial will prove that the buck should have stopped with Larson and his sentence was very inadequate. I do feel that maybe if Connolly had paid more attention to the day to day operation of the department instead of public opinion it might have made a difference. The day to day operation of the department ultimately was his responsibility.

Now spin that anyway you choose. Knit pick away. My opinion will not change. That is all it is - an opinion like everyone else.

#864153 --- 08/20/08 03:24 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]
Old Broad Offline

Loc: Whitewater, Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: Nathan
What anyone "believes" is irrelevant. From the testimony presented, so far, it's apparent that Larsen was making a concerted effort to hide certain things from Connolly.

No one has directly connected him to any criminal activity at this point.

Maybe no one has directly connected Mr. Connolly to any criminal activity, just being the Sheriff makes him liable for anything that happens on his watch. (24/7)

#864232 --- 08/20/08 06:03 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Old Broad]
Senecamom Offline

Swinehart testified the on May 30th when Connolly returned from Grand Jury investigation he said "had to dance around a bit" referring to Tantillo's questioning and said "If he kept asking there would have been trouble".....

I'm not saying one way or another, but that just doesn't sound good.jmo

#864282 --- 08/20/08 07:15 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Senecamom]
waterloo guy Offline

leo got to be worst seneca county sheriff ever.

#864381 --- 08/20/08 08:30 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: waterloo guy

Is this ebonics?

#864473 --- 08/20/08 09:44 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED Offline

Loc: Five Points C25, upon return c...

Ahh, are you sure? I'd think my vote would be for someone else.

#864799 --- 08/21/08 08:46 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
waterloo guy Offline

Originally Posted By: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED

Ahh, are you sure? I'd think my vote would be for someone else.

Who?

#864859 --- 08/21/08 11:02 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
SF Proud Offline

Loc: Beautiful Seneca Falls
Fox

#864864 --- 08/21/08 11:07 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SF Proud]
SFisWonderful Offline

Originally Posted By: SF Proud
Fox

LOL . .. he's probably the one that started this whole mess. The mess with not having bids and giving Preferred Auto all the sherriff work. Letting people off of DWI's because of their last name. Maybe Connolly/Larson thought this was the standard way of doing business. Does STUPID hold up in the court of law?

#864870 --- 08/21/08 11:18 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SFisWonderful]
Nathan Offline

Jury may get Connolly case today

By CRAIG FOX

WATERLOO — Jurors could start deliberating today in the trial of former Seneca County Sheriff Leo T. Connolly.

Testimony ended Wednesday morning, and Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo and defense attorney Robert Napier were to start their

closing statements at 8:30

a.m. today.

Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey will then charge the jury and instruct them in how to proceed with their deliberations.

Tantillo finished up his case by calling former First Assistant District Attorney Robert Mascari to the stand. Napier didn’t call any witnesses, saying that the prosecution failed to prove its case.

He also asked Falvey to dismiss each of the six charges against Connolly for the same reason. Falvey reserved

decision.

Mascari testified that the District Attorney’s Office should never have issued subpoenas to learn the identities of four people who were posting critical comments about Connolly, former Undersheriff James Larson and the sheriff’s department on the FingerLakes1.com forum. Connolly is accused of trying to retaliate against those who posted comments about him.

In earlier testimony, jurors heard that Connolly was upset by the postings and asked District Attorney Richard Swinehart to investigate; Swinehart assigned an investigator who was later elected the current sheriff, Jack Stenberg. Stenberg obtained information from the Internet providers, which gave Connolly the names he needed: Fayette resident Robert Lukowski and three sheriff employees, Teri Durso, David Jensen and Tom Castiglione.

Mascari testified that on April 26, 2006, Swinehart asked him to review the office’s file that contained a one-page handwritten note by Swinehart, a number of the forum postings and the four subpoenas to get their identification. Mascari concluded there was “no basis for issuing them,” he testified.

Mascari also told Tantillo that Connolly came into the District Attorney’s Office regularly and often complained about what had been written about him on the forum.

Connolly once came into the office and asked Mascari to open an investigation into the forum postings, but Mascari told him that to do that his office needed “a good faith basis” to do that, Mascari testified.

He also thought it was significant that the file didn’t include any statements, documents or interviews, and it was unlike any other investigation he had seen, Mascari went on to say.

During cross-examination by Napier, Mascari acknowledged that he was fired by Swinehart (months after the indictments). Later, Tantillo asked more about the firing and Mascari explained that tension had developed between the two after he talked to Tantillo and an FBI agent about corruption in the sheriff’s department and county government.

The relationship got worse after Mascari went public about his view that any public officials who were the subject of a report issued by the grand jury (at the time the indictments were announced) should come forward and not fight having them released to the public, he said.

The reports were given to those they were about, and the Times has confirmed that Swinehart was among the recipients.

Mascari, who is now the chief assistant district attorney for Madison County, also testified that he’d been critical of Swinehart, called a staff meeting in 2006 and brought his personal attorney to it.

At the time of Mascari’s firing, he told the Times that Swinehart’s attorney, David Rothenberg of Rochester, started asking staff questions pertaining to his client and suggested they each retain an attorney.

As he continued testifying about the “incredible tension,” Mascari’s voice cracked. He paused to try to regain his composure, then recalled that it had gotten so bad last March that he offered his resignation before Swinehart fired him.

Swinehart had gotten angry that Mascari distributed a press release on a DWI program without notifying him beforehand and accused Mascari of insubordination, Mascari said.

He was visibly shaken after his testimony and left the courtroom to go try to regain his composure in a conference room. Downstairs, two unidentified county residents stopped to thank him for his public service, told him they were sorry about the way he was treated and wished him luck.

cfox@fltimes.com

#864878 --- 08/21/08 11:38 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Is there ANYONE who isnt smelly in this whole affair?? Good lord!
The county lost a good man in Mr. Mascari.
How long before we can vote the worthless dirty DA OUT??

#864884 --- 08/21/08 11:56 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Jelloshot]
waterloo guy Offline

fox, connolly, larson, swinehart, and bianchi should all be in jail.

#865110 --- 08/21/08 06:47 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
krisbc1 Offline

Loc: Junius
Shhhhh! Don't say a word, not sure how many connolly spys are still out there

#865177 --- 08/21/08 08:13 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: krisbc1]

Is Swinehart the kingpin? He had Larson's wife as his secretary, His ("son, nephew") in as a deputy, etc. Who really is the engineer of the train here?

#865183 --- 08/21/08 08:16 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial *DELETED* [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
JET Offline

Loc: south of 336
Post deleted by FL1 Mod 2

#865188 --- 08/21/08 08:19 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: JET]
Dakota Offline

Loc: Who? Me?
Fact, rumor, or joke?

Potius mori quam foedari

#865204 --- 08/21/08 08:30 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Dakota]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

lie. R NEWS just reported the jury was sent home for the night NO Verdict yet.

#865205 --- 08/21/08 08:30 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Jelloshot]
Dakota Offline

Loc: Who? Me?
Thanks, Jello.

Potius mori quam foedari

#865208 --- 08/21/08 08:31 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SFisWonderful]
Bogie Offline

Loc: Spade & Archer
Originally Posted By: SFisWonderful

Is this ebonics?

'loobonics

\:\/

#865427 --- 08/22/08 06:21 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Bogie]
SF Proud Offline

Loc: Beautiful Seneca Falls
Connolly Trial Extends into Friday

by R News Staff
Published Aug 21, 2008

The case against Seneca County's former sheriff is still in the hands of a jury.

Lawyers delivered closing arguments Thursday morning and the jury got the case shortly after 1 p.m. After deliberating well into the evening, the jury was dismissed around 8:45 without reaching a verdict.

"We certainly and have always believed we had a tremendously conscientious jury that's working through the evidence," defense attorney Bob Napier said. "Six different charges over a three year period, not surprising that it was going to take some time. And we truly remain fully confident of Sheriff Connolly's acquittal in this case."

Leo Connolly is charged with perjury and official misconduct. He and five other current and former Seneca County Sheriff's employees were indicted nearly a year ago.

The charges were a result of a grand jury probe into allegations of stolen department equipment and planned retaliation by Connolly against people openly critical of the sheriff's office.

Connolly has maintained his innocence.

The jury will reconvene at 8:30 Friday morning.

#865863 --- 08/22/08 02:18 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SF Proud]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Connolly jury still deliberating

By CRAIG FOX
Friday, August 22, 2008 11:09 AM CDT

WATERLOO — Jurors returned to a Seneca County courtroom this morning to continue deliberating in the trial of former Sheriff Leo T. Connolly.

They got the case Thursday afternoon and were sent home a little after 8:30 p.m., having deliberated about six hours.

During much of that time, Connolly and his family awaited the verdict at a picnic table in the village park across William Street from the courthouse, where they ate pizza for dinner and his lawyer, Robert Napier of Rochester, talked on his cell phone.

Soon after the sun set, Connolly strolled around the park with his wife, Georgia, on his arm; then they were summoned to the courtroom, where Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey called it a night.

Napier said he’s still confident that Connolly will be exonerated on all six charges.

“We’re certainly pleased that we have a conscientious jury,” he told a handful of reporters outside.

Connolly is accused of three counts of official misconduct for retaliating against three county residents and two county employees for writing critical comments about him on the FingerLakes1.com forum.

He’s also charged with first-degree perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury; first-degree offering a false instrument for filing and second-degree falsifying business records, both regarding false information that he allegedly provided on a county employee travel form to cover up four sheriff department dive team members vacationing on department time.

Connolly faces as much as 14 years in prison if convicted on the charges, which range from Class A misdemeanors to a Class D felony.

About 2:15 p.m., the six-man, six-woman jury sent out a note asking for a 2005 calendar, which they were not allowed to have because it hadn’t been introduced into evidence. About 90 minutes later, they asked for copies of each of the elements of counts three through six.

But Napier objected to giving them copies, so a few minutes later the elements were read to them, instead.

They later wanted definitions for official misconduct and perjury.

As many as 20 family members and friends sat on one side of the courtroom near the defense table, while a couple of state police investigators and about five members of the public sat on the other side during attorney summations Thursday morning.

Napier said several witnesses, including District Attorney Richard Swinehart and current Sheriff Jack Stenberg, testified that Connolly, as sheriff, had the right to direct his officers to initiate investigations.

He also continued to blame the whole matter on former Undersheriff James Larson, who pleaded guilty to several felonies in February.

In his closing, Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo told jurors that Connolly violated his oath of office by breaking laws and for targeting citizens. Emphasizing that point, Tantillo’s voice got louder, and he moved closer to Connolly, pointing his index finger and waving his outstretched arm at him.

“This is astounding that the chief law enforcement officer of Seneca County directed his officers to go after private citizens for exercising their rights,” Tantillo said, adding that he repeated the offense. “It was a pattern, a pattern that you could see.”

#865892 --- 08/22/08 03:02 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Jelloshot]
Nathan Offline

FRIDAY AUGUST 22, 2008 Last modified: Friday, August 22, 2008 2:10 PM CDT

BREAKING NEWS: Judge tells jurors to keep at it

By CRAIG FOX/Finger Lakes Times

WATERLOO — After about 11 hours of deliberating, jurors in the trial of former Seneca County Sheriff Leo T. Connolly asked Acting Judge Patrick Falvey what happens if they can’t reach a verdict.

That was around 1:15 p.m.

Falvey told the jurors to keep working and that he was confident they would reach a verdict.

Around 11 a.m., they asked to have part of the third count against Connolly, an official misconduct charge, read back to them, specifically asking about the meaning of “accomplice.”

Connolly is accused of three counts of official misconduct for allegedly retaliating against three county residents and two county employees for writing critical comments about him on the FingerLakes1.com forum.

He’s also charged with first-degree perjury for allegedly lying to a grand jury; first-degree offering a false instrument for filing and second-degree falsifying business records, both regarding false information that he allegedly provided on a county employee travel form to cover up four sheriff department dive team members vacationing on department time.

#865894 --- 08/22/08 03:07 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Nathan]

Connolly is innocent on all charges and I hope after this trial the sealed files will be demanded to be opened against the DA.

#865905 --- 08/22/08 03:24 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
THE JURY HAS REACHED A DECISION.

I have deliberated avoided this thread but am breaking that vow today to post the latest results in this trial in hopes this will be finally put to rest.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/jury_weighs_case_against_senec.html

Edited by grinch (08/22/08 03:27 PM)

#865915 --- 08/22/08 03:41 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: grinch]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Two misdemeanor charges, wow! Bet he will do hard time. What a joke that whole stupid mess was. That's the way to show um seneca county.

#866421 --- 08/23/08 10:59 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
waterloo guy Offline

Is Swinehart the kingpin? He had Larson's wife as his secretary, His ("son, nephew") in as a deputy, etc. Who really is the engineer of the train here?

hear tell angelo got all these guys their jobs.

#866443 --- 08/23/08 11:22 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: tezzer59]
Know It All Offline

Loc: NY
There was definately court yesterday...but no one else by Leo and family showed up. Was very surprised by that.

#867791 --- 08/25/08 08:11 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
waterloo guy Offline

sunday paper:

After hearing about the verdict, Castiglione said Connolly “could have made a good sheriff, but he sat back and let Larson run the department.” He blames former County Republican Chairman Angelo Bianchi and other leaders in the party at the time for arranging for Connolly to run for sheriff
and switch his state job in Albany with then-Sheriff Tom Fox, and by making Larson the undersheriff.

#867930 --- 08/25/08 12:59 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Let's blame everyone else for the decisions made by one person. Makes sense to me.

you're not livin

#868071 --- 08/25/08 04:09 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
Let's blame everyone else for the decisions made by one person. Makes sense to me.

You are correct. There is a definite lack of personal integrity and moral responsibilty in all levels of government. Personally I believe the Sheriff's position should be based on passing a civil service test. Only those who have demonstrated leadership ability, training, education and having a proper law enforcement background should be allowed to take the test. He should have the proper credentials to warrant being appointed to this all important position of sheriff.

As it stands now it is a popularity contest. Political powers choose who gets to run not who might be the best qualified, just who might be most electable.

That is especially true in small counties.

Little chance of that ever happening.

#868482 --- 08/26/08 08:37 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: grinch]
waterloo guy Offline

Originally Posted By: grinch

You are correct. There is a definite lack of personal integrity and moral responsibilty in all levels of government. Personally I believe the Sheriff's position should be based on passing a civil service test. Only those who have demonstrated leadership ability, training, education and having a proper law enforcement background should be allowed to take the test. He should have the proper credentials to warrant being appointed to this all important position of sheriff.

As it stands now it is a popularity contest. Political powers choose who gets to run not who might be the best qualified, just who might be most electable.

That is especially true in small counties.

Little chance of that ever happening.

leo was retired FBI agent. wooden you think we could of trusted him to not break the law?

#868495 --- 08/26/08 09:08 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Gold Member

I get a real kick out of you idiots who still contend he's guilty of charges the JURY found him NOT GUILTY on.

#868523 --- 08/26/08 10:09 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

"Legally" he is not guilty of the charges. Morally, he is so guilty he wreaks of filth. These are the people that tick me off the most. "You can't CONVICT me of breaking any law, so I am a good guy." If it looks like a crook, walks like a crook and talks like a crook. It is a crook!

#868524 --- 08/26/08 10:15 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

"Legally" he is not guilty of the charges. Morally, he is so guilty he wreaks of filth. These are the people that tick me off the most. "You can't CONVICT me of breaking any law, so I am a good guy." If it looks like a crook, walks like a crook and talks like a crook. It is a crook!

It's a real shame that LEGALLY is what counts in Court. Your opinion means exactly ZERO now that the Jury (who, unlike you, had all the facts) has rendered its verdict.

#868526 --- 08/26/08 10:25 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

You are right. All the jury said is that he abused his power and didn't do his job. That speaks SO WELL for him.

#868570 --- 08/26/08 12:10 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Festus!
I get a real kick out of you idiots who still contend he's guilty of charges the JURY found him NOT GUILTY on.

I never said he was guilty. My post was in reply to waterloo guy stating "Castiglione was blaming former County Republican Chairman Angelo Bianchi and other leaders in the party at the time for arranging for Connolly to run for sheriff".

you're not livin

#868591 --- 08/26/08 12:49 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
Gold Member

I never said he was guilty. My post was in reply to waterloo guy stating "Castiglione was blaming former County Republican Chairman Angelo Bianchi and other leaders in the party at the time for arranging for Connolly to run for sheriff".

I know, that's why I didn't direct my comment toward you.

#868598 --- 08/26/08 01:02 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
waterloo guy Offline

sunday paper:

leo guilty on two counts, could get a year in prison on each count. senetencing is oct 16th.

#868601 --- 08/26/08 01:09 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Gold Member

sunday paper:

leo guilty on two counts, could get a year in prison on each count. senetencing is oct 16th.

He was also acquitted on 4 charges, including the most serious felony charges, and the Judge dismissed one charge before the trial began. Some choose to ignore that fact.

#868641 --- 08/26/08 02:25 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
waterloo guy Offline

sunday paper:

He was also acquitted on 4 charges, including the most serious felony charges, and the Judge dismissed one charge before the trial began. Some choose to ignore that fact.

so does that make Leo a good guy because he was not found guilty of everything he was charged with?

#868645 --- 08/26/08 02:31 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Greymane Offline

So, the lesson is, if you only plunder and don't rape and pillage, you are a great candidate for sheriff.

#868655 --- 08/26/08 02:41 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

What it means is -

THE JURY'S OPINION IS THE ONLY OPINION THAT MATTERS.

#868678 --- 08/26/08 04:18 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

What it means is -

Exactly

you're not livin

#868690 --- 08/26/08 04:33 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: LOTE]
Average Joeeeee Offline

What it mean is = The wool was pulled over the eyes of the jury as it was when that bum ran for sheriff. He is dirty as the day is long and if you think otherwise, take your head out of the sand and smell the air. The air around him stinks of corruption

#868701 --- 08/26/08 04:53 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

There is no need for me to take my head out of the sand and smell the air. Guilty or not, he's no longer the sheriff.

you're not livin

#868704 --- 08/26/08 05:02 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Average Joeeeee
What it mean is = The wool was pulled over the eyes of the jury as it was when that bum ran for sheriff. He is dirty as the day is long and if you think otherwise, take your head out of the sand and smell the air. The air around him stinks of corruption

What wool you IDIOT?

Connolly's attorney did not call one witness, NOT ONE.

#868708 --- 08/26/08 05:10 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

He didn't have to call any, The DA didn't make the cases for the Felonies.

#868812 --- 08/26/08 06:18 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Gold Member

Exactly! Napier didn't have to "pull the wool over their eyes", Tantillo had a very weak case.

#868813 --- 08/26/08 06:19 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Gold Member

AND, most of Tantillo's witnesses were looking to cover their own butts.

#868829 --- 08/26/08 06:38 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
waterloo guy Offline

What it means is -

jury said leo was crooked sheriff. sentenced Oct 16 to 2 years in prison.

#868848 --- 08/26/08 07:00 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

He can't be sentenced to state prison for misdemeaners, county jail, with good time. I would say 5 yrs probation, what do you want the man to die in jail

#868849 --- 08/26/08 07:01 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Gold Member

What it means is -

jury said leo was crooked sheriff. sentenced Oct 16 to 2 years in prison.

I'll wait for the official announcement, from the only guy that matters, the Judge.
Then I'll wait to see how the appeal turns out.
Thanks for your input anyway, MORON.

#869134 --- 08/27/08 05:52 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
BEerwoman1 Offline

Sentence COULD be up to 2 yrs, not is sentenced - that will be found out 10/16.

#869193 --- 08/27/08 07:57 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED]
waterloo guy Offline

angelo bianchi - guilty

leo connolly - guilty

jim larson - guilty

swineharts son/nephew - guilty

birds of a feather flock together.

#869195 --- 08/27/08 07:59 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Gold Member

Now Tantillo has to face a civil suit (in his own county) for (what was it?) withholding evidence?

#869203 --- 08/27/08 08:07 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: HarleyBobT]
Gold Member

http://www.whec.com
Posted at: 07/17/2008 04:24:45 PM

Updated at: 07/17/2008 06:00:14 PM

By: Catherine Varnum

Lawuit filed against Ontario County and district attorney

News 10NBC has learned the first steps have been taken to file a lawsuit against Ontario County and its district attorney.

It stems from a case involving a Greece engineer who was acquitted of putting in faulty septic systems and Walter Casper, who is now serving time for his wife's murder.

“I know the DA's office in Ontario County didn't present all the information that was out there and available.”

Defense attorney Mark Young has piles and piles of paperwork from that case. His client, engineer Dave Simpson of Greece, was charged with six counts of filing a false instrument.

Young was determined to make sure his client didn't get punished for something he says another man did. That other man, was Walter Casper, he is also an engineer and the man serving time for killing his wife by intentionally letting the family van roll off a cliff.

“This could have been stopped early on. It wasn't because people didn't do their job that we hold in high regard and hope they do their job.”

Young is referring to Ontario County District Attorney Mike Tantillo. Young says Tantillo never told the grand jury that it was Casper who originally surveyed the area in Farmington.

The whole situation got started when Casper tested the soil in the area in the late 80's by doing what is called a percolation test. “Time how fast the water dissipates through ground or percs through soil.”

The engineer can then figure out what type of septic system to put in the ground. Dave Simpson used those results to put in systems in but they immediately started to back up.

Young says that's because Casper lied on the perc test. There is no chance it could have changed, “the ground is the ground.”

Young filed a notice of claim late last month saying Tantillo maliciously prosecuted his client and now they’re hopping someone takes responsibility.

“The prosecution has some responsibility to acknowledge when they made a mistake.”

Mike Tantillo didn't want to go on camera today but he did say this notice of claim doesn't have any merit. He says they had abundant evidence to prosecute Simpson and he doesn't expect anything to come out of this.

As for the property, the developer ended up paying a half million dollars to fix everyone's septic tanks. Both parties are meeting in October for what's called a deposition where they'll decide whether to offer Simpson a settlement or go to trial.

#869204 --- 08/27/08 08:07 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

What it means is -

And, that would be the jury that said Leo was guilty of official misconduct for attempting to retaliate against citizens of this county? Such a weak case and he was still found guilty. At least he has your support, Festus.

#869206 --- 08/27/08 08:08 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

What it means is -

And, that would be the jury that said Leo was guilty of official misconduct for attempting to retaliate against citizens of this county? Such a weak case and he was still found guilty. At least he has your support, Festus.

You DO realize that he was CLEARED of the most serious felony charges, don't you?

#869207 --- 08/27/08 08:08 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Greymane Offline

It amazes me, Festus, that you insist on throwing knives at everyone but Leo. You are like the guy who farts in a crowded room and then blames everyone else for your stench.

#869208 --- 08/27/08 08:09 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Gold Member

I would call a conviction on two misdemeanor charges out of the 5 misdemeanors and 2 felonies alleged a weak case.

#869210 --- 08/27/08 08:09 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Gold Member

AND the appeal still has to be heard.

#869215 --- 08/27/08 08:11 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

What it means is -

You DO realize that he was CLEARED of the most serious felony charges, don't you?

I DON'T CARE THAT HE WAS CLEARED ON SOME CHARGES. He was the HEAD LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IN THE COUNTY and used his office to harass and intimidate people he was sworn to protect. Scum in each and every sense of the word.

#869218 --- 08/27/08 08:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

I await the results of the appeal.

#869220 --- 08/27/08 08:15 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Gold Member

Speaking of scum, how's the squatter making out in his effort to keep posession of property he doesn't own?

#869223 --- 08/27/08 08:17 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Lost me. What squatter is that?

#869229 --- 08/27/08 08:21 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

Morse.

#869230 --- 08/27/08 08:23 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Footstepsabove Offline

What it means is -

Just an impression here, as I have no idea the specifics of how or why the jury would find him not guilty of the other "more serious" charges like offering a false instrument for filing, etc.:

In reading the news reports on the daily testimony it struck me as interesting that evidence was offered up that former County Manager Sharon Secor sent an email to a constituent that basically said that when Leo signed off on the Florida trip it was done properly. If it was done properly, then fine, he was not guilty of that charge. On the other hand, if Ms. Secor was doing what a great many of the "high level" government managers and department heads often do, it could be possible that her email was just a "CYA" to keep the questions at bay and the heat off a situation that could potentially embarrass the bosses. This is done all the time by managers or administrators or department heads, and not just in the public sector. In this day and age, putting things in writing can go both ways, and more often than not the "powers that be" have no idea how much is actually documented.

I'm not saying this is what the jury would have said to themselves when considering those kinds of charges, but if it were me I would have to consider that the evidence could go either way and in that case he lucks out.

#869241 --- 08/27/08 08:36 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Footstepsabove]
Gold Member

He was also cleared of a perjury charge.

#869242 --- 08/27/08 08:36 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

Lost me. What squatter is that?

http://forums.fingerlakes1.com/ubbthread...true#Post775777

#869258 --- 08/27/08 09:11 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
sour mash man Offline

Loc: ny
Connolly is only guilty of creating an environment within the dept of entitlement to a few select individuals. In the end, they all turned on him!!!

#869261 --- 08/27/08 09:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Oh, that squatter. No clue. Don't really care.

When you say Leo was cleared, what you really mean is "he was not found guilty" which in no way, shape or form is the same as "he never did it". It is also possible that every single person in the jury believes he did it, but felt that the legal threshold was not met for a guilty verdict.

#869378 --- 08/27/08 12:36 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

I hope if YOU are ever charged with a crime that the jury wants to see a legal threshold met before finding you guilty.

#869413 --- 08/27/08 01:37 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Will you for one minute stop with all this "he was not convicted of this" or "so and so made him do this" or "he was just a pawn". The man was FOUND GUILTY of commiting a crime while in the office of county sheriff. There is NO excuse for that. He ONLY violated the trust of the residents of this county and targeted the very people that pay his salary. That's all.

#869416 --- 08/27/08 01:43 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
waterloo guy Offline

He can't be sentenced to state prison for misdemeaners, county jail, with good time. I would say 5 yrs probation, what do you want the man to die in jail

yes

#869418 --- 08/27/08 01:44 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

He was found guilty of 2 out of 7 charges. YOU, and others like you, keep insisting that he was guilty of ALL charges even though the Jury said "NOT GUILTY" on MOST charges (the Judge threw one out before trial - what's that say about the quality of the indictment?). He was found NOT GUILTY of the most serious felony charges. But you continue to insist he was guilty of ALL charges.

#869431 --- 08/27/08 01:57 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Show me one post where I said he was guilty of all charges. I never said he was guilty of anything but being stupid and incompetent before the jury came back.

#869448 --- 08/27/08 02:07 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Senecamom]
waterloo guy Offline

Originally Posted By: senecamom
Swinehart testified the on May 30th when Connolly returned from Grand Jury investigation he said "had to dance around a bit" referring to Tantillo's questioning and said "If he kept asking there would have been trouble".....

sounds to me like leo was lucky that more charges weren't brought against him.

#869609 --- 08/27/08 05:37 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

Show me one post where I said he was guilty of all charges. I never said he was guilty of anything but being stupid and incompetent before the jury came back.

Right here.

When you say Leo was cleared, what you really mean is "he was not found guilty" which in no way, shape or form is the same as "he never did it". It is also possible that every single person in the jury believes he did it, but felt that the legal threshold was not met for a guilty verdict.

#874683 --- 09/03/08 09:23 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
waterloo guy Offline

angelo bianchi - guilty

leo connolly - guilty

jim larson - guilty

swineharts son/nephew - guilty

birds of a feather flock together.

so who is the kingpin? did we get them all?

#874692 --- 09/03/08 09:29 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Right here.

Ok, so you quoted me saying that it is possible that the jury believes he did it. Show me where I said he was guilty of all charges.

#874694 --- 09/03/08 09:32 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

Right here.

Ok, so you quoted me saying that it is possible that the jury believes he did it. Show me where I said he was guilty of all charges.

#875069 --- 09/03/08 07:15 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Well Festus, I don't see any wheres, Gray saying he is guilty of all charges but I will say he is guilty of enough and he should be locked up for two one year terms not to run concurrent and you can go to the court and cry and say good bye to your buddy. But will that happen? I doubt it. So you might not need your tissues. The same that happened to the rest will happen to him, I'm sure. So Festus, IN YOUR FACE!

#875072 --- 09/03/08 07:19 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Gold Member

He was, as you correctly point out, found guilty of only two of the least serious charges.

#875074 --- 09/03/08 07:21 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Well thats enough for me! A cop found guilty of any crime, he sould get the max!

#875076 --- 09/03/08 07:22 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

If he gets the max which I doubt, it will 8 months concurrent.

Let the victims sue him civilly for gross negligence that would hurt far more than 8 month in jail.

Edited by Buddy (09/03/08 07:24 PM)

#875077 --- 09/03/08 07:24 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Average Joeeeee Offline

What gets me is this, he is guilty and you FESTUS, defend him. He took and oath and betrayed the trust of every resident of Sencea County and the State of New York. That includes you too.

#875079 --- 09/03/08 07:26 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Gold Member

He was cleared on 5 of 7 counts, including the most serious felony charges.

#875080 --- 09/03/08 07:26 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Why concurrent? I understand about the good time, but my wont he get 16 months?

#875081 --- 09/03/08 07:27 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Average Joeeeee Offline

He was cleared on 5 of 7 counts, including the most serious felony charges.

Well big deal. He was found guilty of two crimes, not violations, he sould go to jail.

#875083 --- 09/03/08 07:28 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

He is guilty of misconduct, and it was stupid to do that, what do want blood, the mans family has been through enough. If larson got paroled in 4 months, then why can't Connelly get the same deal. Larson is a confessed thief and probably a whole lot more. Leo was the patsy. He was in over his head. Never should have been sheriff when a good candidate was there. I just would like this to end.

#875084 --- 09/03/08 07:28 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Gold Member

If his appeal fails, he probably will.

#875085 --- 09/03/08 07:29 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Gold Member

He is guilty of misconduct, and it was stupid to do that, what do want blood, the mans family has been through enough. If larson got paroled in 4 months, then why can't Connelly get the same deal. Larson is a confessed thief and probably a whole lot more. Leo was the patsy. He was in over his head. Never should have been sheriff when a good candidate was there. I just would like this to end.

Steele supporters still have a lot of animosity.

#875087 --- 09/03/08 07:29 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Average Joeeeee Offline

He is now a criminal, unless it gets overturned at appeal on some BS tec. He will still be a criminal in my book and alot of others too.

#875089 --- 09/03/08 07:31 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Average Joeeeee
He is now a criminal, unless it gets overturned at appeal on some BS tec. He will still be a criminal in my book and alot of others too.

OK

#875094 --- 09/03/08 07:35 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Been though enough? Enough? of what? I am sorry for his family, but he sould have thaught about that before he tried to be a vigilanty. That's what I called him, A Vigilanty with an badge. Out for his own justice. I am sure he knew what was going on. that small building, things get around, I am sure.

#875095 --- 09/03/08 07:35 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

He is a convicted criminal unless it is overturned and I don't see that happening. He was found guilty and should face the cosequences, but not about and beyond what anyone else would get.

#875099 --- 09/03/08 07:39 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Why not, he was incharge? it was his department and everything that happened there was either because he was incompetent or part of it. Let him face the music. He wrote the song.

#875109 --- 09/03/08 07:47 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

I just see it different, Larson conned him, doesn't make him any less guilty but come on. Jail for an old man, what possible good could that do.

#876215 --- 09/05/08 11:39 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
waterloo guy Offline

I just see it different, Larson conned him, doesn't make him any less guilty but come on. Jail for an old man, what possible good could that do.

maybe stop others from doing it?

#876427 --- 09/05/08 06:12 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Average Joeeeee Offline

If your old enough to become sheriff and old enough to become a criminal, then your not to old to go to jail.

#876743 --- 09/06/08 05:11 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

keep him out of bars, and maybe dry him out

#876763 --- 09/06/08 07:03 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Ranger]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
When he was running for this job he set up a table at St. Anthony's. I knew him from back in the day and went up to him and asked him if he was sure that he wanted to do it and he smiled and shook my hand. That was all. Too bad.

#876767 --- 09/06/08 07:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Ranger]
waterloo guy Offline

keep him out of bars, and maybe dry him out

yup

#877003 --- 09/06/08 05:56 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: waterloo guy]
Hammer Offline

Loc: S.Seneca

Sorry, but I don't find the age issue to be relevant to the issue of disregarding the law, be it as an elected official or a citizen. If the idiot who is getting off with a slap on the wrist was a "younger person," would the Court's determinations have differed?

To me, that is suggesting to our youth that you can be a crook but that you should take advantage of the Seneca County courts by not being "caught" until your are a "senior."

#877005 --- 09/06/08 05:59 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Hammer]
Lawrence Welk Offline

That's suggesting that there are better things for Seneca County tax payers to be putting their money towards rather than putting it towards prisoning a senior citizen. Send him to some classes, take a large chunk of his money and make him pay it to the county, and be done with that whole mess for gods sake. I for one do not want to pay for him to be in jail, getting free meals and living(tax free) after he already jipped seneca county out of so much cash as it is. Am I right?

#877008 --- 09/06/08 06:03 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Lawrence Welk]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

It serves no purpose to put the man in jail, fine the heck out of him and let the civil suits role in. They will destroy him financially. It bothers me that people want blood out of official misconduct, but baby rapers get 6 months. Probation and a fine.

#877019 --- 09/06/08 06:11 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Hammer Offline

Loc: S.Seneca
Festus,

Thank you for you thoughts. I had ZERO idea that you and Marshal Dillan aka Leo had invented KY jelly so long ago. Had you shared it with your fellow cowboys back then, you would be "riding" rich and fat from the profits!!

#877046 --- 09/06/08 07:01 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Hammer
Festus,

Thank you for you thoughts. I had ZERO idea that you and Marshal Dillan aka Leo had invented KY jelly so long ago. Had you shared it with your fellow cowboys back then, you would be "riding" rich and fat from the profits!!

Steele supporters still have a lot of animosity.

#877049 --- 09/06/08 07:05 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Hammer]
Parzlou Offline

Loc: Not Sure
Been trying to avoid this but it has gotten the best of me and i can no longer stay out of it.
IMO Connolly is as dirty as the day is long ! period end of sentence . Now was this proven in a court of law ...... ?... NO on 5 of 7 counts...... BUT !!!! there were 2 convictions of criminal acts by A jury of an acting sheriff and this IMO is deplorable and needs to be acted upon swiftly and as severely as the law will allow. I have also heard around the towns that this man who was sheriff at the time and his deputies were all unwilling minions of the evil mr larson.
Now there is also no question that mr Larson is a convicted criminal and clearly played his part in this whole travesty, and this sheriff and his sworn deputies were only human and people make mistakes maybe we should cut them a break....... BUT ! ! ! ! come on people lets think about this. These people were an elected official and sworn deputies to uphold the laws that govern are society. ....nope sorry cant do it THESE GUYS WERE COPS THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING WAS NOT RIGHT and was against the law.... and they should be, and need to be held to a higher standard

#877053 --- 09/06/08 07:12 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Parzlou]
Wyatt Earp Offline

Loc: Right behind you, Stilwell
They should be held accountable for what was proven. The two the DA is letting off should also be held to account.

#877055 --- 09/06/08 07:14 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Wyatt Earp]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

In my humble opinion, we should get this over with and let this heal and get on with whatever. We have beat this horse to death. I guess Judge Falvey will have the final say. Then it is over.

#1209024 --- 08/17/10 09:46 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
Festis Offline

What it means is -

I DON'T CARE THAT HE WAS CLEARED ON SOME CHARGES. He was the HEAD LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IN THE COUNTY and used his office to harass and intimidate people he was sworn to protect. Scum in each and every sense of the word.

Final answer???

NOT GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES!!!!!!!!!!!

#1209097 --- 08/18/10 09:09 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Festis]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Also found not guilty:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n24_v88/ai_17446892/

The trial of the century, as the double homicide trial of O.J. Simpson has been called, is over but the speculation over how and why he was found not guilty is still running sky high.

For those who want to overhaul the jury system, he said "it's not the jury system they ought to get rid of. It's lying policemen."

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >