Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#779425 --- 03/28/08 12:45 PM Date set for Connolly's trial
vicky413 Offline

Loc: USA
Date set for Connolly's trial

By CRAIG FOX
Friday, March 28, 2008 9:56 AM CDT

WATERLOO - Former Seneca County Sheriff Leo T. Connolly's trial has been scheduled for Aug. 11.

Connolly, who didn't seek re-election in November, is accused of lying to the grand jury and targeting critics who wrote negative comments about him and the sheriff's department on the public Internet forum, fingerlakes1.com.

Last August, Connolly and five others, including former Undersheriff James Larson, were indicted after an eight-month grand jury investigation into possible misappropriation of property and other wrongdoing in the department.

The charges against Connolly are first-degree perjury, first-degree offering a instrument for filing, second-degree falsifying business records, three counts of official misconduct and rewarding official misconduct.

Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo, who is the Ontario County district attorney, said that this is a unique situation.

“It's a significant case with the defendant and who he is,” Tantillo said, declining to comment on the extensive media coverage that's expected.

At one point, Connolly's attorney, Robert Napier, tried unsuccessfully to get Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey to move the trial to another jurisdiction because of the pretrial publicity it was receiving.

Napier couldn't be reached for comment.

On Feb. 13, Larson pleaded guilty to several felonies and is now serving a 21-month sentence in the Ontario County jail.

On Thursday, Deputy Josh Zona was convicted of petty larceny.

Former part-time Deputy Michael Baroody was convicted in January of petty larceny for taking two tires. Two other deputies, Scott Buck and Chris Constable, also face petty larceny charges, but their trials haven't been scheduled yet.

The probe began in late 2005 with an internal investigation by two sheriff investigators, who had heard of possible thefts in the department.

State police got involved after a suspicious Feb. 3, 2006, fire that destroyed a warehouse at the former Seneca Army Depot, where tires and other departmental property was stored.

cfox@fltimes.com

FingerLakes1.com
#779780 --- 03/28/08 09:31 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: vicky413]
116obama Offline

Loc: Fayette
poor leo

#779819 --- 03/29/08 12:06 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: 116obama]
BEerwoman1 Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Little vendatta here?

#780023 --- 03/29/08 10:28 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: BEerwoman1]
satinnite2003 Offline

Vendatta? Leo sat by and watched the SCSD crumble before his eyes. He knowingly allowed certain individuals to get away with everything they are being convicted of. Poor Leo, give me a break!!!!

#857165 --- 08/10/08 08:58 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: satinnite2003]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Ex-sheriff’s trial starts Monday

WATERLOO — Prospective jurors are expected to pack the Seneca County courtroom Monday morning to wait and see if they’ll be picked to serve in the abuse of power trial of former sheriff Leo T. Connolly.

Last week, Acting County Court Judge W. Patrick Falvey sent out affidavits to about 100 residents who were told to be at the courthouse at 9 a.m. Monday. Previously, as many as 700 summonses were sent out to possible jurors.

Prospective witnesses have been told that jury selection could take a couple of days and would be done differently than they are normally, with meetings with possible jurors held one at a time.

Jury commission officials have blocked out two weeks for the trial. Special Prosecutor R. Michael Tantillo, Ontario County’s district attorney, has estimated he’ll call about two dozen witnesses.

On Friday, Connolly’s attorney, Robert Napier of Rochester, said he didn’t want to comment on how many witnesses he’ll call or how he’ll defend his client. He also wouldn’t comment about how easy or difficult it will be to find a jury that can be fair given that the case has received so much media scrutiny.

“It’s the flimsiest case I’ve ever seen,” Napier told the Times two weeks ago.

In late 2005 and early 2006, investigators Robert Lahr and Jason Deal began conducting an internal investigation into whether members of the sheriff’s office were stealing department property. State police got involved in the case after a Feb. 3, 2006, fire destroyed a warehouse at the former Seneca Army Depot where the items had been stored.

No one was ever charged in the fire.

By CRAIG FOX
Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:32 AM CDT
Finger Lakes Times

#857177 --- 08/10/08 09:26 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: newsman38]
seneca_lady Offline

Loc: seneca falls
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Unknown source

#857208 --- 08/10/08 10:52 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: newsman38]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
A family member recieved jury duty via subpoema, strange.

#857234 --- 08/10/08 12:15 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Senecamom]
SoSeneca Offline

Loc: South Seneca Co.
He'll get no jail time.
This is a show trial to appease the masses.

That and I don't want the SCSD to come looking for me.

#857936 --- 08/11/08 03:39 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: SoSeneca]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Loc: Waterfalls NY
The picture on the front page of Finger Lakes 1 of Connolly walking by the old sheriff's office is classic. It has an " Inmate Receiving" sign to the right of him. Hopefully that sign will apply to him soon.

#858449 --- 08/12/08 10:35 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Average Joeeeee]
CitizenStraub Offline

Loc: Seneca County, NY
I hope they make an example of him and throw the book at him. Like many Seneca County residents who have almost lost hope in our County Government, I have a hunch he'll walk.

#858452 --- 08/12/08 10:55 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: CitizenStraub]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
I think by all accounts it is a weak case, save the taxpayers money, and let him plead to the misdemeaners, huge fine. Lets heal this thing. I also think Connolly and his family have suffered from this scandal orchestrated by Larson.

#858454 --- 08/12/08 11:13 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Can't agree, Buddy. You choose the people, you are responsible for those choices. Your people screw up, you screwed up. There is no responsibility anymore. I am not saying it makes Connolly a bad person, but he should have known what was going on and is responsible for the acts as the senior officer. He made poor choices in both the personnel he selected and the lack of oversight provided (at the very least).

#858648 --- 08/12/08 04:56 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Greymane]
sour mash man Offline

Loc: ny
Greymane is absolutely correct, Connolly's lawyer says all the charges are the fault of his underlings. Not knowing what they were doing?? Spare me the violin concerto. He was elected as the BOSS. He was promised a free ride by the GOP. Just sit back for 4 years. Larson will run things. After all he was trained by Fox. Don't worry, the dept. will be on autopilot. They were like children in a candy store with taxpayer dollars. Connolly didn't know what his underlings were doing. Give me a break. If he took just a 10% interest in the place he would have seen what was going on. This trial will be embarrassing for many people. And don't forget, the county board of supervisors sat by and watched all the money being spent and did nothing. The BOS was the check and balance, what were they afraid of?

#858876 --- 08/12/08 10:18 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sour mash man]
queenbee Offline

Loc: soul quest
Agreed, he will walk as will the others. No one will forget and no one will trust SCSD. They have lost respect in this community and if you don't have the respect and trust of the ppl what's left? Wise-cracks ,jokes and ridicule I am even guilty of that myself and now I think about it , it really is a sad situation. I had an occassion to have a conversation a few months ago with another officer in another county and I asked him what his county thought about it and he said "it was funny, and there are many reasons SCSD is so screwed up". (Actually a SCSD deputy had given me some wrong information) and he said that's why they were in the position they were in, they weren't doing right by the ppl not doing their job. Oh Well.

#858979 --- 08/13/08 05:43 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: queenbee]
ohsama Offline

Loc: Would you like to know?
Bad judgment isn't a crime. The DA has to prove the ex-sheriff actually broke a law.

#859035 --- 08/13/08 08:31 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: ohsama]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
Another issue is did Connolly have intent in each of the charges, I see the felonies being tossed and convicted of the misdemeaners. A big county court trial, costing big bucks that serves no purpose, The man has been punished enough.

#859309 --- 08/13/08 04:35 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
Denny Crane Offline

Loc: Seneca County
What about Sharon Secor?

#859366 --- 08/13/08 06:20 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Buddy]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: Buddy
I think by all accounts it is a weak case, save the taxpayers money, and let him plead to the misdemeaners, huge fine. Lets heal this thing. I also think Connolly and his family have suffered from this scandal orchestrated by Larson.

Ditto Buddy!

#859404 --- 08/13/08 07:48 PM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: sparky's back]
Sweetcakes Offline

Loc: Southeast of Disorder
They picked that jury fast.

#859626 --- 08/14/08 05:30 AM Re: Date set for Connolly's trial [Re: Sweetcakes]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
of course not, I bet some people were more than willing to sit on that jury

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >