Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#773848 --- 03/19/08 06:37 AM Re: You decide [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
Originally Posted By: FL1 Mod 2
There's always a reason, either a complaint from a fellow poster of it being offensive, the use of language or even the implied or abbreviated use of some words.

Implied use of a word? As in gee instead of "Jesus Christ", or freak instead of the f-word? There's a reason why people use euphemisms: It is to avoid use of more explicit language.

And complainers are weenies.

Don't forget "gosh", "darn"; they're probably forbidden by the same "logic". In fact, if we can't suggest words, we should probably be careful about even thinking them, simply because they're evil.

FingerLakes1.com
#773849 --- 03/19/08 06:40 AM Re: You decide [Re: ]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
""No, they don't, they call it a implied word shovel !""

Did they get deleted?

#773897 --- 03/19/08 11:30 AM Re: You decide [Re: VM Smith]
Redbutch Offline

Loc: Geneva
Originally Posted By: VM Smith

Sullivan faces up to 20 years in prison.

Sometimes I think we should bring back public hangings. Go ahead, comment away....

#773956 --- 03/19/08 01:33 PM Re: You decide [Re: Redbutch]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Originally Posted By: Redbutch
Sometimes I think we should bring back public hangings. Go ahead, comment away....

Can you imagine how many state workers it would take to build the gallows? 1 to actually build it and 3 to sit in the truck.

#774021 --- 03/19/08 03:21 PM Re: You decide [Re: Taxpayer14456]
queenbee Offline

Loc: soul quest
FL1 MOd 2 you seem to be doing alot of deleting and splainin lately why is that? A few ppl have noticed and commented on some of these actions, and are these "complainers" always the same ones? If so wouldn't you look at that too? Just askin. How can anyone be offended by the implied use of a word if these complainers didn't already "know" the words how would they know what was being implied? So obviuosly they have heard them before,huh?

#774036 --- 03/19/08 03:40 PM Re: You decide [Re: queenbee]
FL1 Mod 2 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Actually it's been relatively quiet as far as deleting and editing goes.
I've offered explanations simply because I hope that people would learn, and the swearing or implied swearing has decreased dramatically as of late.
The owner has expressed over and over and over what is allowed and what isn’t.
No, the complainers are rarely "the same ones" as you put it.

#774039 --- 03/19/08 03:47 PM Re: You decide [Re: FL1 Mod 2]
queenbee Offline

Isn't that like punishing someone for what they "meant" to do?

#774042 --- 03/19/08 03:52 PM Re: You decide [Re: queenbee]
FL1 Mod 2 Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
If you’re referring to implied words no, they meant to swear, and they did, only they abbreviated it, no difference.

#774085 --- 03/19/08 05:47 PM Re: You decide [Re: FL1 Mod 2]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
If you’re referring to implied words no, they meant to swear, and they did, only they abbreviated it, no difference.

I wouldn't want to be accused of ARGUING WITH A MODERATOR, but, yes, there is a difference. Somebody who uses initials or a euphemism is exercising a modicum of self-control in the hope of avoiding giving offense. Somebody who just goes ahead and uses the whole word is saying that s/h/it doesn't care who s/h/it offends. You MUST be able to see that difference - ?

#774086 --- 03/19/08 05:49 PM Re: You decide [Re: queenbee]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: queenbee
Isn't that like punishing someone for what they "meant" to do?

It's more like punishing someone for what they meant not to do.

#774090 --- 03/19/08 05:51 PM Re: You decide [Re: AbuDhabi]
The Brain Offline

Loc: Looking to deport Rappers.
Are people punished in America for plotting to murder someone, or are they allowed to progress as far as they want until they actually murder someone?

#774206 --- 03/19/08 10:18 PM Re: You decide [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Redbutch Offline

Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456
Originally Posted By: Redbutch

Can you imagine how many state workers it would take to build the gallows? 1 to actually build it and 3 to sit in the truck.

As a state employee I resemble that remark. Of course you forgot the person assigned to do the paperwork. And to mention that the one building it is probably a temporary employee with no benefits. But they would have the prisoners paint it as part of work release.

#774278 --- 03/20/08 12:41 AM Re: You decide [Re: The Brain]
queenbee Offline

Originally Posted By: The Brain
Are people punished in America for plotting to murder someone, or are they allowed to progress as far as they want until they actually murder someone?

Actually Brain I think you can be punished in some way for "plotting" a crime. Is this what we are doing?

#774280 --- 03/20/08 12:51 AM Re: You decide [Re: The Brain]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement

Conspiracy to commit murder and it can carry an equal sentence as murder itself, look at Mansion

#774282 --- 03/20/08 12:59 AM Re: You decide [Re: AbuDhabi]
queenbee Offline

Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

I wouldn't want to be accused of ARGUING WITH A MODERATOR, but, yes, there is a difference. Somebody who uses initials or a euphemism is exercising a modicum of self-control in the hope of avoiding giving offense. Somebody who just goes ahead and uses the whole word is saying that s/h/it doesn't care who s/h/it offends. You MUST be able to see that difference - ?

Now that is suggesting that you know what that poster was thinking at the time. Not everyone interprets things the same and is it possible to be mistaken---of course. I just don't see letters and symbols as offensive,but maybe some do---obviously.
I was under the impression this was mostly intelligent adults posting but I have been wrong before.

#774349 --- 03/20/08 04:32 AM Re: You decide [Re: The Brain]
AbuDhabi Offline

Is anybody here plotting a murder?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2