FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17
Topic Options
#750813 --- 02/11/08 02:00 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Sure, why sit around and wait for the end, when there are interesting things to do?

I once sent Sky a site about skydiving in Panama; I think they go out from 12,500, as I recall. Also one on Harleys there. Those mountain roads look like a biker's dream, to me. With projected and I think, probable growth, given that the country's tourism is 20 yrs. behind CR's there's room for growth in both businesses. It also looks like it would be ideal for soaring and hang gliding, judging by the mountains and hills, the breezes and the thermals.

I hear ya on the not relating. I said something to you yest. about expats being viewed with suspicion. It's almost as if they're viewed as not being right in the head, or even as dirty low-down malcontent traitors (actually, from some, the vibe doesn't say "almost") for wanting to taste a bigger slice of the world pie.

We were born here, and will always be Americans, but we're also part of the larger world, whether we think of it that way or not.

We're humans, not trees, and we have feet, not roots, for a reason; perhaps we should use them more. Americans aren't stupid, but they can be ignorant and provincal.

I believe that there quite possibly may not be another existence plane; if we want to do something, the only time may be that in which we live. "There are no dress rehearsals." as my sister always said.

"El Cóndor Pasa is a song from the zarzuela El Cóndor Pasa by the Peruvian composer Daniel Alomía Robles written in 1913 and based on traditional Andean folk tunes. It is possibly the best-known Peruvian song worldwide, partly due to a cover version by Simon and Garfunkel in 1970 (together with Urubamba group) on their Bridge Over Troubled Water album, which is called El Condor Pasa (If I Could). Paul Simon used only the melody and wrote entirely new, unrelated lyrics."

I know that the original lyrics said something like "Take me back to the old square in La Paz". Simon changed it to where it resonates with where my head is now:

Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the ground
He gives the world
Its saddest sound,
Its saddest sound.

FingerLakes1.com
#750814 --- 02/11/08 02:09 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: MKB]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Comprender.

#750815 --- 02/11/08 02:16 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I hear ya on the not relating. I said something to you yest. about expats being viewed with suspicion. It's almost as if they're viewed as not being right in the head, or even as dirty low-down malcontent traitors (actually, from some, the vibe doesn't say "almost") for wanting to taste a bigger slice of the world pie.

It's kind of like you're cheating by not staying and eating the same pie as everyone else. And then, on top of all of that, you have ABANDONED them... They keep waiting for you to get right and come back.

#750822 --- 02/11/08 03:19 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You nailed it.

I had to leave the VFW. There was one fool who got on my case hard. He's never been out of the country, until a few months ago was still living with his parents while approaching middle age, is not even a vet, and doesn't know squat about squat. He called me a traitor and a communist, and every other name he could come up with; my impending move threatened him personally, as in, "Move to Panama, you communist traitor!".

I went down to the sun and let it, and the laid back ambiance, percolate through me, thought about it, and have now moved my camp to the SMS, where they have a more recent cultural memory of migration in search of something different, and maybe even better, and of provincal, blind, uncomprehending, ignorant distrust and intolerance. That appeals to my Irish immigrant blood, I guess.

They also don't drink nearly so hard, let alone have a coke problem, the signs of which this guy wears like a flashing neon billboard. It's just a guess, and I could well be wrong, but I've seen the movie before.

The W's a good org., but maybe I'm just a poor fit, even though I thought I got along with everyone else there. Maybe they think differently, and just didn't say so. I don't know, and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

My dad was proud of his service, and proud of his country, as I am of his and mine, and thought that WWII had to be fought and won, but never even considered joining a vet's org.. Maybe I now know why.

He didn't wrap himself in the flag, and didn't fly one. He didn't feel the need to; he'd served under one, and worn the uniform, which is pretty much how I feel.

Freakin' "summer soldiers and sunshine patriots"! Sheesh!

I digress from your post, but the event did change me from 99%, to 100%, ready to move. That's just the type of crap that I want to leave behind.

Edited by VM Smith (02/11/08 03:19 AM)

#750824 --- 02/11/08 03:37 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

It's nothing specific to the place or the people; it's the human condition. It's there in Panama, too, but you won't see it, and that will amount to an improvement in what you do see.

I like being in countries where I don't speak the local language because ignorance sometimes is, truly, bliss. I particulalry enjoy sitting in a busy restaurant and not understanding a word of what's going on at the next table. ;-)

#750843 --- 02/11/08 04:18 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Yes, it's in the human condition and nature, but a country without the power to throw its weight around might have a different cultural and political mythology or narrative.

I'm aware that the US army has been Panama's army, too, but not having ever been in a war, or invaded any place, still has to affect the average citizen's thinking.

They don't have the same attitudes we do because their national experience has been so different.

#751456 --- 02/12/08 12:38 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
MKB Offline

Loc: Village of Seneca Falls, NY
Gracias, buenos noches,

Senora Negra

#751966 --- 02/12/08 08:57 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: MKB]
peppie Offline

Loc: local
what the hell does this have to do with the S F Diner? go start your own thread.

#751985 --- 02/12/08 10:40 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: peppie]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: peppie
what the hell does this have to do with the S F Diner? go start your own thread.

Conversations wander. Try to imagine yourself sitting around with a group of people, talking about whatever, and somebody brings up something "off topic". What do you say?

#751992 --- 02/12/08 10:49 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: peppie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The thread had already wandered far into a discussion of other long gone SF businesses. Do you wish that all of the many who were participating in that discussion go start their own threads?

Specifically, MKB's last post was a thank you for me telling her that I finally did understand a post that she made in that discussion.

You should also be aware that your post should have been posted on the "I love to complain because I have no life." thread.

#751996 --- 02/12/08 11:07 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Maybe peppie is one of these English-only types.

#752010 --- 02/12/08 11:34 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: peppie]
MKB Offline

Loc: Village of Seneca Falls, NY
If you read the previous posts, and were a tad bilingual, you would know what it refers to. As with most threads--despite the desires of thread-fast, self-designated Forum cops such as you--this thread has drifted from the Seneca Diner to south of our border.

MKB

#771633 --- 03/15/08 10:50 AM Re: Seneca Falls Diner [Re: RedGreen]
amazed Offline

bump

Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17