FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#750022 --- 02/10/08 02:39 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement
I never said movies caused violence, I said that people watch them and feel justified by seeing, what their mentally challenged mind seems to see as someone who understands them and hence justified in killing innocent people, for whatever reason.

If you want to discuss why these horrific events happen and how to prevent it then lets continue.

No it is not due to the movies, it is complex and I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

Edited by AnneSmile (02/10/08 02:41 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#750042 --- 02/10/08 03:26 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
"So what are we to do in a politically correct society and protecting the rights of others. Is there really a way to tell when this kind of horror is going to happen?"

Well, this society can be too PC, but I'd rather describe it as one that's still relatively free, and as long as it is, and given that our knowledge of what's really in another's head and heart are incomplete, then we'll have to accept that some will do weird and violent things.

Even if we locked up everyone who seemed a little different, that would be still be true, because some people go dangerously and violently nuts after having exhibited no signs of danger or deviancy.

Of course, it would probably be fun, anyway, to bind or restrain some of these people, throw them into water, and see if they floated or sank. But hey, that's just the voices in my head speaking.

#750050 --- 02/10/08 03:48 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

I think I would have been in a straight jacket years ago LOL

If they float then are they normal and the crazies sink to the bottom, HAHAHA That idea didn't work with the witches either.

#750053 --- 02/10/08 04:19 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Sure it worked. You don't see any witches around, do you?

#750057 --- 02/10/08 04:47 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

Good point

You round up the lynch mob and I will prepare the water tanks, or would the area pond be easier BAHAHAHA

Edited by AnneSmile (02/10/08 04:49 AM)

#750066 --- 02/10/08 06:22 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

No problem; I live on the lake, and we could just use the pitch fork and torch crowd that always seems to be following me. I know I could talk them into it; I'll just tell them that the weirdo is possessed by Satan, and that this is what Jesus would do. I'll even forge some notes from their mothers, so they won't worry about the authorities.

#750088 --- 02/10/08 08:48 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: AnneSmile
Its not the movie that makes one go out and kill innocent people. It is the mentality of so called justified anger that makes the mentally ill go out and kill who they 'think' are the problem.

Justified anger: big idea there. We are led to believe that there is something right and good about getting angry.

#750094 --- 02/10/08 10:04 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Ya know...I've been looking at your monkey movie, and thinking that it might push some nutjob over the edge. Would you really want to be responsible for that?

I can see the headline: "Madman Mimics Monkey; Women and Children Suffer Most. Abu Denies Responsibility, Says he Was Teaching Class". Be careful; expats are already viewed with suspicion.

#750152 --- 02/10/08 12:01 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Temporarily Assigned
I never said movies caused violence, I said that people watch them and feel justified by seeing, what their mentally challenged mind seems to see as someone who understands them and hence justified in killing innocent people, for whatever reason.

If you want to discuss why these horrific events happen and how to prevent it then lets continue.

No it is not due to the movies, it is complex and I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

I do not understand how a discussion can continue when you talk in circles and the context of a discussion becomes lost.

#750158 --- 02/10/08 12:09 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Ya know...I've been looking at your monkey movie, and thinking that it might push some nutjob over the edge. Would you really want to be responsible for that?

I can see the headline: "Madman Mimics Monkey; Women and Children Suffer Most. Abu Denies Responsibility, Says he Was Teaching Class". Be careful; expats are already viewed with suspicion.

Actually, it is out of Abu's hands now. I rec'd the "shooting monkey" as a text message on my phone instructing me to "shoot" eveyone in my phone book with him by forwarding it on. Funny, I haven't heard from any of them since. ;\)

Bad lil shooting monkey!

#750239 --- 02/10/08 02:06 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Strawberry Jam]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL!

Now Homeland Security will be knocking at his door. I tried to warn him, but too late.

#750245 --- 02/10/08 02:16 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
If they float then are they normal and the crazies sink to the bottom, HAHAHA That idea didn't work with the witches either.

Wasn't it the other way around?

#750326 --- 02/10/08 03:45 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
AbuDhabi Offline

Okay, Annie, you're new here, so I'm going to give you a couple of tips. It's a rough place, and I see that you can use some help.

I never said movies caused violence...

Never begin a post by saying, "I never said [x]". Instead, call your interlocutor an idiot and ask him why he never learned to read. Then you can proceed with laying out your argument.

You have to work from a position of strength, or you'll be like a kitty in front of a lawn mower.

Quote:
...I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

This is a veiled sarcastic apology, on the order of "Excuse me for living." Don't do this. It is lame. Instead, tell him you hope the lid of the toilet falls on his head while he's drinking his evening martini.

You have to make him respect you.

#750330 --- 02/10/08 03:51 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
AbuDhabi Offline

AS FOR THESE SHOOTING MONKEY JOKES, you people keep it up and I'll go back to the Hitler avatar. You have been warned.

#750333 --- 02/10/08 03:54 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
AS FOR THESE SHOOTING MONKEY JOKES, you people keep it up and I'll go back to the Hitler avatar. You have been warned.

Awww now don't do that! I love the adorable monkey.

#750453 --- 02/10/08 05:59 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Taxpayer14456]
AnneSmile Offline

Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456

Wasn't it the other way around?

My bad, I think you are right

#750455 --- 02/10/08 05:59 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
AnneSmile Offline

Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
Okay, Annie, you're new here, so I'm going to give you a couple of tips. It's a rough place, and I see that you can use some help.

I never said movies caused violence...

Never begin a post by saying, "I never said [x]". Instead, call your interlocutor an idiot and ask him why he never learned to read. Then you can proceed with laying out your argument.

You have to work from a position of strength, or you'll be like a kitty in front of a lawn mower.

Quote:
...I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

This is a veiled sarcastic apology, on the order of "Excuse me for living." Don't do this. It is lame. Instead, tell him you hope the lid of the toilet falls on his head while he's drinking his evening martini.

You have to make him respect you.

HAHAHAHA

#750457 --- 02/10/08 06:01 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

Originally Posted By: Eomer

I do not understand how a discussion can continue when you talk in circles and the context of a discussion becomes lost.

How am I talking in circles? Movies do not cause violence, the morons who see them and THINK that the movie is based on reality so that gives them the SUPPOSED rationale that they THINK that they are justified in killing when in fact they are NOT justified.

Movies do not make normal, rational people kill because rational people know the movie is fiction and that killing people is ignorant and violence is never the way to solve a problem.

#750459 --- 02/10/08 06:06 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"violence is never the way to solve a problem."

Depends on the problem. It ended Manuel Noriega's killing and torture spree, for instance.

#750469 --- 02/10/08 06:21 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

True, but I was talking about senseless violence in terms of everyday America

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >