Loc: Out in the ozone
Quote:

...but the dream dies tonight.

TONIGHT!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#7550 --- 10/20/04 06:21 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Mother puss bucket! I guess we have what everyone hoped for/expected...a Game 7. Oh well, if it had to be, it had to be. I will say this about that game. I was disappointed in the umpires. Don't they know who is paying them (off).

Maybe I'll try rooting for the Dead Sox if that's what it takes for the Yankees to win this thing.

Let's go Sssssssss...

CAN'T DO IT!

LET'S GO BRONX BOMBERS!!!

#7551 --- 10/20/04 11:41 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Congratulations to Eddie's little brother's team, they did it the "Old Fashioned Way", they earned it !!!!

Now, what heads will "The General" roll ?

#7552 --- 10/21/04 08:27 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
YUCK! Can it get any worse than last night?!?!?! Nice game Kevin Brown! I hope you never pitch in a Yankee uniform again.

What's up with the Yankee bats the past 2 nights? Seriously!!! The best lineup in baseball? These guys looked like a bunch of undiciplined HACKS at the hands of Derrick Lowe. YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!

Up 3-0 and you lose. First time in MLB history. THESE aren't the Yankees I know! Where is Paul O'Neill, where is the heart?!?!?!

Oh, and by the way.... Contrary to what everyone has been saying in the media since the game ended last night...

THE CURSE IS NOT DEAD! The curse isn't that the Red Sox always lose to the Yankees. The curse is that the Red Sox haven't won a world series title since 1918. Go it? You have a long way to go before the curse is lifted Red Sox nation!

I have not answered the phone yet today as I am sure that the 20-25 times it has rung it is all my old college friends from the Boston area. I need a couple of days before I can handle talking to those CHOWDERHEADS.

#7553 --- 10/21/04 08:38 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Happy Birthday Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Don you should do what I did. I unplugged the phones and turned off my cellphone last night. The calls started about 5 seconds after the grandslam......

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#7554 --- 10/21/04 08:51 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Moonshadow Offline

Loc: New England
(whispers) go red sox...METS RULE....(runs out fast..lol)

#7555 --- 10/21/04 09:29 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

My little brother AND my son's team. (Thought I raised that boy right? ) Got my call from a screaming Red Sox fan at 12:10 this morning. Guess he was entitiled to it.

Head rolling Tino? Can't do much with the players under contract and if Willie Randolph gets the Mets offer I think he's gone. Mel? Back? Maybe not. Base coaches? No problem there. Any cancers on the team? Don't really think so. Lofton complained a bit but I figure he was a one season aquisition anyway. Pitching? Ah herein lies the conversation. Is Vasquez the reincarnation of Ed Whitson and Jeff Weaver? He did have a great first 2/3 of a season. Kevin Brown? We all knew he was a crapshoot from the start with his age and his health history. Loaiza? Who knows, who cares. Mussina and Lieber were and are solid. Middle relief? OVERWORKED during the season and it showed in the LCS. All those long games aggravated the (non admitted) tired arms of Quantrill and Gordon.

Something though was missing from this team, some chemistry, some killer instinct...some Paul O'Neill-ism.

I think the Yankees offense masked a lot of the pitching problems the largest of which was the fact that 4 of last years 5 starters had to be replaced and that had to be the biggest challenge for the coaching staff. We all commented about having no lefty's as starters and turns out none really in the bullpen either. Once Gabe White was let go (remember him) and Heredia went into his funk they were "pitching exposed" and it caught up with them against a really inspired Red Sox team.

I now will root for the RED SOX in the World Series because after all, I am an American League fan, so...

LET'S GO RED SOX KEEP THE TITLE IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE!!!

#7556 --- 10/21/04 10:38 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
roadguy Offline

Loc: here

#7557 --- 10/21/04 11:45 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Deacon Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way. (And, oh by the way, it wouldn't be "keeping" it in the AL, since the title isn't in the AL right now anyway.) However, I do agree that this was a pitching issue for the Yanks. Signing Carlos Beltran (which is pretty much a foregone conclusion) will have the same effect as signing Rodriguez last year: NOTHING. Pitching wins in the playoffs. It's proven every year. Derek Lowe stepped up last night, Schilling stepped up in Game 6, Boston's bullpen stepped up in Games 4 and 5. It seems pretty simple. There are very few guys who have the makeup to pitch under the Bronx microscope. Clearly Loaiza and Vasquez do not. Kevin Brown just doesn't have it anymore. (Kind of like how Pedro just doesn't have it anymore.) This offseason should be all about finding THE RIGHT pitchers for that squad. Until then, they will falter in the playoffs in the same way they have done for the last 4 seasons.

Gio, hopefully you will receive as good as you have given to your brother for all these years. He deserves it...

#7558 --- 10/21/04 12:00 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gold Member

Quote:

Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way.

Thats because yankee fans are better people then Red Sox fans...

Quote:

Gio, hopefully you will receive as good as you have given to your brother for all these years. He deserves it...
Quote:

I have never...well almost never ah never mind your probably right...

#7559 --- 10/21/04 05:36 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way. (And, oh by the way, it wouldn't be "keeping" it in the AL, since the title isn't in the AL right now anyway.)

Gio kind of adressed this (and thank you Gio) and you are right. It is not in the AL and I think I left that in my post although I knew it was wrong.

Now, how can a Yankees fan root for the Red Sox? It's kind of like when Mynderse Academy lost to Naples in the soccer state playin game in Honeoye Falls in the snow in 2000. That was the year Tim Donk set the record for shutouts, the year Mynderse lsot a player in an auto accident before the season started (ironically he passed on Sept. 11, 1999. RIP C.Q.) The thing to do was to congratulate the team that beat you and wish them well down the road to prove that their success was your success. Jeter said it right,"To be the best you have to beat the best". I wish the Red Sox well because i want the baseball world to know that the Red Sox are a battle toughened team that knows what it takes to win because they faced the toughest of obstacles, the NYY, the most successful franchise in sports history.

Does that explain it?

That plus if I wasn't a Yankees fan for more than a lot of years it would be very easy to get behind the Red Sox. They have a certain charisma to them, a don't quit attitude that is a pure part of any game.

#7560 --- 10/22/04 04:20 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Deacon Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I think in most cases, I would agree in that you want to be beaten by the best. But when they are your sworn, mortal enemy, then I think the equation changes. Just my opinion. Back in the day, I would always pull for the Big East in the NCAA tourney, but never Georgetown. They were the enemy, plain and simple. Would a Bills' fan root for the Dolphins in the Super Bowl, just because they are a fellow AFC team? No way...I wouldn't pull for Miami if they were playing the Death Row inmate all-star squad.

Personally, I'd like to see Boston win so everyone (mostly just Yankee fans and Fox Sports) can finally shut up about "the Curse".

#7561 --- 10/22/04 04:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Maybe I'm mellowing with age or I just like a lot of the players on the Boston team but for me, at this point, it's an AL/NL thing. I really do NOT like the NL.

I think though I am somewhat representative of a lot of Yankee fans compared to Boston fans. Yankee fans (IMO) have beaten the Red Sox down so much that when an ABERRATION like the Sox winning happens it's not that big a deal as for Sox fans who HAVE been beaten down and laughed at by Yankees fans (with superiority complexes) and have bought into the curse thing so much that when they DO finally win it is their right to be insultive and exhibit large amounts of braggadacio.

In the final analysis what it comes down to is that the Yankees have been superior to the Sox for so long that when an ACCIDENT occurs it is just that, an ACCIDENT. For Sox fans, it is like the second coming of Christ.

But then again maybe it's just the purist in me and my age. I just don't hate them that much. I agree with your NFL take though but I can't remember (damn Alzheimer's) if I ever rooted against someone because they were MY team's "sworn" enemy.

Do NASCAR die hards root against someone? I guess so if one is to judge by the Jeff Gordon "hatred".

Must be me.

#7562 --- 10/24/04 02:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
The Yankees have offered the bench coach job to Joe Girardi, if Willie Randolph gets the Mets Managerial gig.

If Willie doesn't get the job, the Yankees want Girardi to be the bullpen coach in 2005, with an eye on the bench coach job in the future.

BTW, Jack McKeon has a standing offer for Joe to be the bench coach of the Marlins.

Personally, I hope the Yankees can get Girardi on board.

He is PRECISELY the kind of coach they need. Young, understands today's players, since he played with and against many of them, and a link to the recent championship teams.

Great baseball mind, and a guy who has a bright future. I would like to see the Yankees tap that mind, as opposed to some other team.

#7563 --- 10/24/04 04:43 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Agree about Girardi. Have listened to him on the YES network pre and postgame shows and "Joe Knows!". Funny how it seems the best baseball minds are catchers. The tools of ignorance??? Maybe there's a method to catcher's madness. I don't think the Yankees will let Girardi ever get too far outside the fold as Torre "winds down" (?).

Bench coach in Florida huh? Hey why not, the weather's always warm. Good enough for Sweet Lou, good enough for Joey T.

#7564 --- 10/28/04 09:34 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Randy Johnson, Eric Milton, Carl Pavano...names being bantered about in the press as targets for the Yankees for next year. Hell why not try to get Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn and Bob Gibson too.

#7565 --- 10/29/04 11:18 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Pursuant to my posting on the "Yankees cursed?" thread, which of us Yankee fans is responsible for the bottom falling out against Boston? With baseball being such a superstitious game, what did any of us do differently that "cursed" them? I know what I did wrong and it's monumental and I realized it as I was doing it and could not stop it until it was too late . What did you do differently between games 3 and 4 that contributed? For example, did anyone start sitting in a different chair, drink beer from a different glass, wear a different hat, put your shoes and socks on differently, put a Yankees sticker on your front door, kiss your wife? Before I tell mine, you tell me yours, OK?

Tino, Tony Kubek, Petey, Carl Spackler, Gio, HighLander, Don, Seymore L., SW FL guy...you reading this? Which one of you did it?

#7566 --- 10/29/04 11:22 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gold Member

The Sox won because my brother made the ultimate sacrafice and got married.....I knew there was another reason for him getting hitched...He always said he wouldnt get married until they won...bastard.

I swear to God it wasnt my fault. I only watched game four of the ALSC....

#7567 --- 10/29/04 11:26 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Don't go quoting John Belushi from the "Blues Brothers" movie now. You only watched game 4? You didn't watch the first 3? You changed your viewing habits? You therefore are at fault and contributed to their demise.

Who else?

#7568 --- 10/29/04 11:36 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gold Member

nay!!! if I watch a game they always lose therefore the guys on the FD banned me from watching any important games...its not my fault!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >