FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#75088 --- 11/22/04 08:18 PM Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose this should really go in the depression thread, but I felt it deserved a place of its own. I've been talking with a couple people on the forum who mentioned what a hard time of the year this is for them because of friends and family members who will not be with them this year. For some it's the first time, for others it goes back a ways.
I thought this might be one way to stop during this busy season and just think about them, shed tears, or leave them a special note, and then just delete it when you are done. Or leave them something; a picture, a poem, a song that was special to them.
If I don't see another post on this entire thread, that's OK. I can see how many people stopped here, and if it provides solice to just 1 or 2, it's worth it.

FingerLakes1.com
#75089 --- 11/22/04 08:27 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

#75090 --- 11/23/04 08:04 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
KoDSC Offline

Loc: Here.
I'm doing something along the same lines for our grandmothers and uncle at our wedding in August. 5 flowers and candles, at our table.

#75091 --- 11/23/04 03:02 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

Several of the veterans groups have been doing this of a couple years now. They set a small table just slightly off to one side of the head table. It's set up for one person. Someone stands up and explains what each item on the table means. It's really quite touching. I've seen it done twice at Marine Corp Birthday Balls.

#75092 --- 11/23/04 04:37 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
blossom Offline

Loc: south
McBratt Thanks for giving me a place to say this,

God blessed our family with this wonderful spirit, but took her much too soon. She made us laugh, and she made us cry. She challenged us to be a little quicker, yet a little more patient. She let us lean on her when we needed to and let us hold her when she need us to. She made each and every day brighter, happier and more fun. She gave us two wonderful little reminders of her beauty and strength in her children. This is our first Thanksgiving without her, we miss her more than I can put into words. If there is a way for the angels to carry these words to her then please tell her we love her and miss her. Let her know she never leaves our thoughts and that our promises to her will be kept. Rest peacefully sweetie...auntie L!!

#75093 --- 11/23/04 06:59 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

#75094 --- 11/23/04 10:02 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those who grieve in private.

#75095 --- 11/24/04 07:55 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

For two I called friend who are no more.
And For two I called friend who are no longer on this earth.

#75096 --- 11/25/04 12:31 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Thena Offline

Loc: The places of my mind
For my Father - another holiday has passed
For my friend - may you be watching them from up above

For my in-laws - for a first year of sepertation may it ease from here

#75097 --- 11/25/04 04:11 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Anonymous
Unregistered

#75098 --- 11/29/04 07:04 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Hogg Wild Offline

Loc: The House That Love Built
ditto

#75099 --- 11/30/04 08:46 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Ditchwitch Offline

Loc: Muddy,Swampy Places in the Fin...
Quote:

Several of the veterans groups have been doing this of a couple years now. They set a small table just slightly off to one side of the head table. It's set up for one person. Someone stands up and explains what each item on the table means. It's really quite touching. I've seen it done twice at Marine Corp Birthday Balls.

We do this at Samhain,it's an ancient Celtic tradition, called the Silent Supper, or Dumb Supper(dumb being the archaic term for speechless, silent). A Table is set,food and drink provided,and the departed are remembered and honored .
On the note of veterans...do you know,evey religious tradition is entitled to a symbol of the faith on the veteran's cross in military cemeteries?? It's an entitlement accorded to Islam(crescent & star),Judaism(Star Of David) Christians,Shinto,etc. Except,naturally, those of Pagan faiths.They are buried, in spite of spousal or family dispute, with a Christian crucifix on their stone. We are trying to get this issue resolved,via the Pagan Headstone Campaign. We have the right to access to our clergy while serving in the military ( I am a legal minister)and prison system, but must have our wishes ignored if we are military dead.

http://www.witchvox.com/military/pvhc.html

Veteran Headstone Campaign
December 2003
Recently it has come to my attention that, while there are thirty-two (32) different religious symbols allowed on veterans' headstones, mine will have to remain bare. If members of religious organizations with as few members in the US military as The Aaronic Order, The Native American Church, Baha'i, Konko-Kyo, Sufism, Tenrikyo, Seicho-no-ie, The Church of World Messianity, the Moravian Church and Enkankar are entitled to religious, why, may I ask, are not Wiccans entitled to our religious symbol, the Pentagram?

Support the campaign the pressure the Department of Veterans Affairs to authorize a 33rd headstone symbol, a Pentacle so that Pagan veterans can be buried under a headstone that shows their religion rather than a blank stone.

How Can I Help?

Most importantly of all:

1. Write to your Congress representative

2. Write to your Senate representative

3. Write to the VA

4. Contact military chaplains who are Pagan and Pagan allies. They know the system and might help sponsor this effort.

For more information please visit the web site at:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/headstonecampaign/index.html

#75100 --- 11/30/04 09:31 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
To Mom and Dad...
This is our 15th Holidays without you, Mom and 6th without you Dad. I hope you are celebrating them together and watching over us all as we think of you at this time, as we all do each and everday. Miss you much...Love you even more....the "baby of the family"...

DW....i will look in to how I can help from here. I am not a pagan...but I do belive you should have the right to YOUR proper burials. In this day and age, it is a scandal to me that they would NOT recognize your wishes....this lends to the very old age custom to look down on "witches" as evil...and that is a disgrace to a nation that promises "freedom of religion".

#75101 --- 11/30/04 08:42 PM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Bam Offline

Loc: somewhere
my empty place at our table of thanksgiving dinner was my mother. she's in california. just not the same with out my mom.

#75102 --- 12/01/04 09:18 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
cookie Offline

Loc: Seneca County

This is for my Mom and Dad who I miss every day.

When the warmth of the sun touches my face,
I see your smile and feel your embrace.

I hear the whisper of love in the wind
And I know that you are close to me again

The rain speaks of tears and the thunder of pain,
But soon the sun comes the earth to reclaim.

As the days come and go and the world moves on,
I know you're still here, you'll never be gone.

On the night the Angel came and took your hand,
We cried as you left for an unknown land.

But Heaven rejoiced as you came into sight,
For your soul was a diamond, shining so bright!

I LOVE YOU MOM AND DAD

#75103 --- 12/01/04 09:21 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Beautiful, Cookie.

#75104 --- 12/01/04 10:12 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
KoDSC Offline

"If tears could build a stairway
and Memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again."
-------------------------------

Maybe you guys can help me out. Ubu and I saw this beautiful poem in a wedding mag on a candle, that was lit in memory of those there in spirit. We can't find the magazine nor poem ANYwhere anymore. I really wanted to get that poem again and write it up for the memory table...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

#75105 --- 12/01/04 10:16 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:

"If tears could build a stairway
and Memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again."
-------------------------------

Maybe you guys can help me out. Ubu and I saw this beautiful poem in a wedding mag on a candle, that was lit in memory of those there in spirit. We can't find the magazine nor poem ANYwhere anymore. I really wanted to get that poem again and write it up for the memory table...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

The only time I have seen this poem was in the cemetery here in town, a person had it embossed on bronze and placed at the gravesite of a loved one..I thought it was beautiful poem.

#75106 --- 12/01/04 10:20 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
KoDSC Offline

It a totally different poem I'm hunting for though. A special wedding memorial poem.

#75107 --- 12/01/04 10:30 AM Re: Empty Place at the Table
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 ... 27 28 >