FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#749831 --- 02/09/08 07:30 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
AnneSmile Offline

Loc: Amusement
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
Originally Posted By: Eomer
True, but those people had mental health issues to begin with.

Then why aren't they getting help?

Because the movies show that it is OK to have anger when it is justified and to the individual they are justified.

As for the kids, their mothers and fathers say that there baby is OK and could not possibly be a harm to anyone else. Our world is in denial when it comes to themselves as part of the problem, the "It cannot happen to me" mentality. Of course they feel it is clear when it happens to someone else that their baby had a problem.

The principal of one of the schools said, "I can be a principal living in fear and turn every incident over to the police or I can take action and deal with the children as it happens" So how do we really know who to send to the psychologist? How do we know when the kid is just a bully or a mentally disturbed person?

How do we know to psychos from the level headed every day crazies? It is usually the quiet one that goes on the rampage, the one that no one notices.

FingerLakes1.com
#749833 --- 02/09/08 07:45 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: AnneSmile

Because the movies show that it is OK to have anger when it is justified and to the individual they are justified.

Yes, I believe you're right.

The movies, the movies...

#749835 --- 02/09/08 07:55 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
I normally take claims that violent music, TV, video games, movies, etc. make people more violent with a grain of salt, but I have to admit that after watching the movie Varsity Blues I was overcome by a momentary but intense urge to bludgeon someone to death.

#749836 --- 02/09/08 07:59 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Reinhart Faust]
AnneSmile Offline

Its not the movie that makes one go out and kill innocent people. It is the mentality of so called justified anger that makes the mentally ill go out and kill who they 'think' are the problem.

Edited by AnneSmile (02/09/08 10:38 PM)

#749837 --- 02/09/08 08:06 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Temporarily Assigned
Popular culture does not reinforce that mentality?

If you feel your feelings are justified any means to an end are justified.

Sounds like a common theme in popular media doesn't it?

#749838 --- 02/09/08 08:12 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

The movie Pay it Forward made me want to do more to help others

So why wouldn't watching a movie like Rambo make someone want revenge on someone who has done them wrong. After all wasn't Rambo considered a hero?

#749841 --- 02/09/08 08:23 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Its not one movie.

And

It was justified to them, as described in your own words.

#749842 --- 02/09/08 08:25 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

Correct, in their mind and those two movies were just examples

I wasn't saying different

#749852 --- 02/09/08 09:02 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Justified in your mind, of course.

#749856 --- 02/09/08 09:07 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

Please clarify?

What is justified in my mind?

Certainly not that the movies justify an excuse for the crazies to kill, just explaining how the crazies THINK they have there idea's reinforced and justifed.

#749857 --- 02/09/08 09:10 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Reinhart Faust]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: Reinhart Faust
after watching the movie Varsity Blues I was overcome by a momentary but intense urge to bludgeon someone to death.

After watching 'Roadhouse' I had same urge!!!

But only towards writer and director!!!

#749860 --- 02/09/08 09:19 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Here's the biggest school killing to date, which happened in 1927

I am very sure George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were behind it!!!

#749866 --- 02/09/08 09:28 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools

They probably don't realize or admit that they have issues, or others don't, or others can't force them to get help, because nothing violent or illegal has yet occurred.

#749868 --- 02/09/08 09:31 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
"How do we know when the kid is just a bully or a mentally disturbed person?"

I think that a bully IS a mentally disturbed person.

#749872 --- 02/09/08 09:35 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

"How do we know when the kid is just a bully or a mentally disturbed person?"

I think that a bully IS a mentally disturbed person.

True, question should be how do we tell who are dangerous and who are not.

When I say dangerous, I mean, who will kill and who will just give you a wedgie

#749884 --- 02/09/08 09:54 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: VM Smith]
AnneSmile Offline

They probably don't realize or admit that they have issues, or others don't, or others can't force them to get help, because nothing violent or illegal has yet occurred.

Look at the VT killings, the killer had a history of mental illness and teachers had concerns about him but the police could not do anything since nothing violent or illegal had occurred, to their knowledge.

So what are we to do in a politically correct society and protecting the rights of others. Is there really a way to tell when this kind of horror is going to happen?

#749890 --- 02/09/08 10:22 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Please clarify?

What is justified in my mind?

Certainly not that the movies justify an excuse for the crazies to kill, just explaining how the crazies THINK they have there idea's reinforced and justifed.

The context of the conversation seems to have been lost.

Except of course in your mind where it is what it is.

#749895 --- 02/09/08 10:35 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: Eomer]
AnneSmile Offline

Insults do not carry good conversation

I never said movies caused violence, I said that people watch them and feel justified by seeing, what their mentally challenged mind seems to see as someone who understands them and hence justified in killing innocent people, for whatever reason.

If you want to discuss why these horrific events happen and how to prevent it then lets continue.

No it is not due to the movies, it is complex and I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

If I am lost then please tell me what the context was supposed to be

#749918 --- 02/09/08 11:45 PM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: dbig]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Originally Posted By: dbig
Saw headlines, but this was not Geneva council!!

Ya think?

#750015 --- 02/10/08 02:23 AM Re: Five shot to death at City Council meeting [Re: AnneSmile]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Insults do not carry good conversation

I never said movies caused violence, I said that people watch them and feel justified by seeing, what their mentally challenged mind seems to see as someone who understands them and hence justified in killing innocent people, for whatever reason.

If you want to discuss why these horrific events happen and how to prevent it then lets continue.

No it is not due to the movies, it is complex and I thought it would be a good conversation to have.

If I am lost then please tell me what the context was supposed to be

Why would my statement be an insult?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >