FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#7449 --- 08/14/04 08:31 AM NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
The Worlds's most successful sports franchise.

FingerLakes1.com
#7450 --- 08/16/04 01:56 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

Loc: riiiiiight???
Will Giambi make a difference down the stretch? He said he wants to be back. That lineup would be better with him in it, although Olerud is a class act, and a good fit with this team.

#7451 --- 08/16/04 06:57 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Yes, Giambi will make a difference. Unfortunately his return will probably mean the release of Tony Clark.

Newest Yankee: SHANE SPENCER ! ! !

Welcome back to my former favorite Yankee (after O'Neill retired).

#7452 --- 08/19/04 08:28 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Eddie, is Spencer going to shave that goat chin hair ??

#7453 --- 08/19/04 11:36 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES. . .
StillLearning Offline

...are the best!

#7454 --- 08/21/04 05:11 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

Eddie, is Spencer going to shave that goat chin hair ??

If he gets recalled from AAA he will. May have already shaved it.

Get the feeling the Yankees are treading water a litle bit right now. Lead over Dead Sox under double digits but no matter about that. Just get an unpleasnat feeling about the way things are going. 5-4 road trip but....

Game's back on. 4 hour rain delay??? Down 5-1.

LET'S GO BOMBERS!!!

#7455 --- 08/25/04 11:52 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

The Yanks go through this slumpy period every season. They went into it a few weeks earlier than normal this year. In years past when they've gone into these slumps, they've had dependable starting pitching. I'm not sure about that this year!

#7456 --- 08/29/04 06:58 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

4 and a half game lead right now. It's getting interesting. When do the Dead Sox come to town?

#7457 --- 09/03/04 06:29 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Much like the Yankees "woke up" last year after being no=hit by Houston, I hope they continue to have their eyes wide open after the 22-0 debacle. 2-0 since that game now. Schedule in near future favors the yankees rather than the Red Sox although Anaheim had to win games in Boston and just got swept. Texas coming to Boston must have wins too. Sox go out to Oakland soon. Hope we get some help from the A's because it looks like a dogfight the rest of the way.

Nice to see Steve Karsay back especially with the recent weak outings by Quantrill and Gordon. Any idea what the Giambi return schedule looks like?

Down the stretch pitching needs to suck it up and do their job. Especially disappointed with the inconsistencies of the starters Mussina and Vasquez and Brown. Torre knew going in that pitching was the key and the lack of dependability has put the yankees in this close division race now. Need the starters to step up big time, like Lieber did last night. Maybe Torre should raise his voice too. Sometimes a kick in the rear end is better than an arm around the shoulder regardless of who the player is.

#7458 --- 09/04/04 08:16 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Will someone, anyone please beat the Red Sox!!! This is getting old. If things keep going the way they've started this weekend, by the time the red Sox begin their game in Oakland on Monday night they could be...in first palce in the AL East. At that point I would have to give them kudos. Heck, they deserve a kudo or two right now, but I won't give 'em any.

Holy Moley, I just read on mlb.com that Kevin Brown punched a wall and broke his left hand now!!! Nice, realllly nice. So let's see, the yankees now have one dependable starter in El Duque. Maybe they should have found a way to get Randy Johnson last month (but never for Posada).

This could be a real memorable September in New York.

#7459 --- 09/08/04 09:38 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Brooklyn Offline

You know the old saying,what goes around comes around? ell could this be the year the Red Sox make up for 1947, '48, '49, '78.
-Brooklyn

#7460 --- 09/12/04 10:29 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

No, it won't be.

The Yankees motto over the last three weeks has been:

BEND...BUT DON'T BREAK

I cannot wait for this weekend's series in the Bronx. For the true baseball purist, THIS is what you live for.

#7461 --- 09/13/04 01:28 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

In a strange sort of way, I am disappointed The Bombers won't be seeing Schilling or (nemesis) Wakefield this week-end, unless Francona changes the rotation !

Here's what the rotation could look like:

Fri - El Duque vs Arroyo
Sat - Lieber vs Lowe
Sun - Mussina vs Pedro

#7462 --- 09/13/04 01:34 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Quote:

No, it won't be.

The Yankees motto over the last three weeks has been:

BEND...BUT DON'T BREAK

I cannot wait for this weekend's series in the Bronx. For the true baseball purist, THIS is what you live for.

maybe so but I would feel a whole lot better if they were 12+ games ahead of Boston.....

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#7463 --- 09/13/04 08:08 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Highlander Offline

Question: Besides pitching, what scares you about this Yankee team this year ?

Answer: Their inability to hit with men in scoring position !

#7464 --- 09/14/04 07:02 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

High, I read your question, thought of my answer, then read your answer. We have the same answers. Men in scoring position looks like their Achilles heel.

In spite of the (another) embarrassing loss yesterday, at least when Boston comes to town on Friday, the Yankees will still be in first place. Albeit by possibly only a half game but still first place.

BEND BUT DON'T BREAK but let's get some consistent pitching. Oh and thanks again Kevin Brown. Your replacement did a helluva job yesterday, you moron (Brown).

#7465 --- 09/15/04 04:44 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Yankees 3 - Royals 0. Didn't know it was a getaway day afternoon game but looking at GameDay on mlb.com it looks like it was a textbook Yankee win. Starter goes 7, Gordon 1, and Mo gets the save.
Derek Jeter AGAIN leads his team to the victory, and how about that reject tony Clark. Doesn't play in a week and gets a dinger. Good choice Mr. Torre for your first baseman today.

Like I said textbook.

That's 4 and 1/2 now right? Hey Red Sox nation morons, let's hear it from you, you sorry bunch of second placers! See you in the Bronx this weekend. REALLY looking forward to it. Bring everything you got because we ain't backing down from you pansies.

Second place...get used to it.

#7466 --- 09/15/04 07:38 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Did I hear right, a rookie, Metsy giveaway (going against Pedro) beat the Sox last night ????

#7467 --- 09/17/04 12:34 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Scott Kazmir beat him.

Regarding tonight's game, I smell a rainout. Too bad. That means a double header sometime this weekend and you can be sure it will be a day-nighter. George won't want to miss the revenue from 2 full houses in one day.

#7468 --- 09/18/04 07:46 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Of All the gin joints in all the world why did she...I mean, of all the pitchers at all the times during the season why did Rivera have to pick last night to be "off"? I fell asleep on the couch during the rain delay and the wife was nice enough to wake me up at the start of the 9th. 2-1 Yankees, Rivera pitching...GAME OVER! Big fat OUCH!

I also think Lofton should have laid out for that ball. Sheffield was right behind him. The hits the Red Sox got in the 9th were the same kind of hit(s) that Luis Gonzalez got when the Yankees lost the series to Arizona. Rivera doesn't seem to get hit hard when he pitches. He gives up these broken bat, seeing eye dunkers. That's gotta drive him crazy.

Kudos to Sturtze and Gordon.

We'll get 'em today.

#7469 --- 09/22/04 05:16 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

19 posts before this one and I've got 11 of them. i feel like I'm talking to myself. Feel free to be "dialogious" gang.

2 junkballers tonight, Duque and Lilly. Should be fun.

#7470 --- 09/24/04 02:24 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Thank you Orioles. THank you Terry Francona. Thank you Byung Yun Kim. Word in Boston is that the press is frying Francona about "giving up" on the game and bringing in Kim. Somewhere grady Little is smiling.

LESS THAN 4 HOURS TIL GAME TIME

GO YANKEES!!!

#7471 --- 09/24/04 04:10 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

I'm freakin' talking to my freakin' self here. Is anybody out there? Tell me at least to go piss off so I know you can fog a mirror. I'm getting tired of seeing Eddie Matthews face on the Yankees thread! Should I switch it to half a peace sign?

SHEEESH!!!

#7472 --- 09/24/04 04:34 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Yeah, it is frustrating talking to oneself, isn't it ?
But, I've learned, it's not worth blowing a 'head gasket' over !

After watching the Sox - Yanks series in the Bronx, one must ask "what lack of pitching you talkin' about ,Willis" ?

Hopefully, we'll see three good games this week-end in Fenway. Maybe even another classic. Jeter said it 'best', "Ya gotta beat one of the best of the best to be the best"!!!

I'll be watching, Eddie, gotta get that home field advantage !!!!!!!!

P.S. Where's Petey ??

#7473 --- 09/25/04 10:06 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Quote:

"What can I say -- just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy," Martinez said. "I can't find a way to beat them at this point. ... They're that good. They're that hot right now -- at least against me. I wish they would disappear and not come back."

#7474 --- 09/25/04 11:15 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Amazing you post a Martinez quote Tino. I logged on to quote Martinez also as he said, (and I love it), "I wish they would disappear and never come back. I'd like to face any other team right now. To pitch a good game, make good pitches and still can't beat them. It's frustrating."

Talk about being inside someone's head! I love this stuff.

Yes, where is Petey and Tony Kubek and bryankees et al???

#7475 --- 09/25/04 11:32 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY USA
Tino, what's up? Sorry that I haven't been online here if you've been looking for me. I've been too busy trying to keep up on the Yankees and seeing the Red Sox trying to make a pathetic excuse of a run to try and overtake the Yankees in the East.

#7476 --- 09/25/04 06:17 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Petey, welcome back !!

How do we get into Schilling's head ?????

#7477 --- 09/25/04 09:52 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Tino, Schilling is very good at Fenway this year. He would be very, very hard to beat him at home. Trying to get into his head may be just even harder to do. After the game on Sunday (with the Yankees hopefully winning), that would clinch the A.L. East for the 9th straight year. But that is a good question. I have no idea how the Yankees would get into Schilling's head.

#7478 --- 09/26/04 08:17 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Yes, welcome back Petey. Was that docuflick on ESPN last night about you????

Unfortunately you are premature in the clinching on Sunday thing. After last night's implosion they still have a magic number of 4 so it will have to happen in the Bronx.

A win today would be very nice but I think a good outing by Brown is most important. With vasquez apparently "lost in space" Brown has to show he's ready. But beating Schilling would really be special.

Joe Girardi made an interesting comment about Joe Torre last night while the Yankees were letting the Sox have their way. He said that if the Yankees had lost the first game he'd be managing this (2nd game) differenly. Normally he would have brought Gordon in to shut the door but thinking longer term he tried things with the "second tier" relievers, of which Paul Quantrill is quickly becoming a member (in my opinion). He also noted when Ramirez came up against Quantrill that Paul is a sinker ball/low ball pitcher and Manny is a low ball hitter. Said Quantrill should go with his strength rather than try to throw the ball up in the strike zone. His "strength" might work on any other hitter but not someone as good as Ramirez. I think Torre should have gone to another pitcher, a high ball pitcher in that situation but maybe Torre wanted to see what Quantrill could do and was ready to sacrifice the game??? God I hope his thought process isn't THAT convoluted.

Rubber game today. Should be fun.

GO BOMBERS

#7479 --- 09/26/04 10:20 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

If the Yankees win today, they go up by five and a half. That would make it even harder on Boston to try and win the East. Yesterday's game was just a formality in the Yankees' way to winning another divisional crown. Granted, it might be tough for Brown the first few innings trying to catch the ball being thrown back to him by Posada, but I have a feeling that he will still pitch well enough for the win.

#7480 --- 09/26/04 04:52 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

CLANG!!! Well so much for Kevin Brown making a positive statement. Good thing it only counts once. At least Loiza looked good... er, ah, nevermind.

Schilling looked Cy worthy today.

Still in first place and have all this Red Sox nonsense out of the way.

Heck, after winning on friday night I didn't care about the next 2 games and as a matter of fact I went to the dog show at Sampson today rather than glue myself to the tube to watch today's game. Why? The Yankees made their statement on Friday night.

As Paul Hogan would say, "No worries mate".

#7481 --- 09/28/04 05:57 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

POSTPONED tonight. Goddam Jeanne! Now watch, the Yankees will get stuck with a doubleheader. Yup there it is, 2 games tomorrow.

#7482 --- 09/29/04 07:39 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Won * 1, magic number down to 3
Ahead in # 2, 4 to 2 !!!
At the moment, Boston down by 1
in the 4th.

Lots of game left to be played tonight !

Eddie, do you think Duke REALLY has a tired
shoulder, or are they simply strategically resting him ?

#7483 --- 09/29/04 09:09 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Resting him. Keeping Moose and Lieber on their regular days, especially Moose.

Tino, your namesake came up big tonight against the Red Sox.

A true Yankee even if he isn't wearing the pinstripes anymore. Beating the Red Sox is in Martinez blood.

#7484 --- 09/29/04 10:27 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

*1*

Yep, cut Tino, and he bleeds pinstripes !

#7485 --- 09/29/04 11:22 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Would like to see Minnesota lose out so the yankees get them in the first round. Don't like the west coast trip thing plus the yankees seem to have Minnesota's number. If Anaheim gets hot like they did 2 years ago they could be tough to beat based on adrenalin, know what I mean. They're on a 5 game win streak right now.

#7486 --- 09/30/04 05:44 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Magic number for the Yankees is now 1 with them taking the double header from the Twins coupled with the Boston loss last night.

#7487 --- 09/30/04 09:33 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

Bryankees is reincarnated as CarlSpackler.. actually, I forgot the login at somepoint.. so I just switched...
Anyway.. just watched Bernie go Boom.. Burn baby burn! The Yankees win the penent.. THUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YANKEEEEEEEEES WIN!!!!!!!

I actually called the shot, was talking with my mom, and I needed Bernie to get a hit in my fantasy league, so I called the HR. Good for Bernie.. I hope it helps me cash in. Actually, Torre just said many of the guys will rest the last few games, so I think that maybe the last time I play Bernie for the year. Being a Yankee fan is a beautiful thing.

#7488 --- 09/30/04 09:44 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

Being a Yankee fan is a beautiful thing.

DITTO!

#7489 --- 09/30/04 09:53 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

and I let my Pink Sox fan friend know that ALL the time...

#7490 --- 10/01/04 06:27 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

On foxsports.com, it was reported that 9 kids in summit, n.j. found box-seat tickets to the New York Yankees playoff games. Instead of keeping them and going to any of the playoff games, they give them back to Wachovia Bank. In return for their honesty, they are given stupid New Jersey Nets tickets. If it was me, at that age, I would of kept the tickets and gone to the games. Who would not want to keep the tickets and go to a playoff game or games to possibly see a team win a world championship. The Nets are definitely not going to do it this year.

#7491 --- 10/01/04 07:54 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Betcha you do see those kids in George's box during the playoffs. Give this time to develop Petey. George won't miss a chance to show that he's a good guy.

P.S. Yankee scrubs getting one hit thru 7 innings as they sleep walk through a totally meaningless game which I'm not even bothering to watch.

#7492 --- 10/01/04 10:53 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Ichiro just broke Sisler's record. It was great stuff!

#7493 --- 10/03/04 05:11 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Sweet, we get Minnesota. 15-3 against them in the last 3 years including a recent 3 game sweep. Sweet, got the right match up, avoided the hot team Anaheim.

Atlanta gets the hotty in the NL, Houston.

Second season starting. Here we go baby!!!

GO BRONX BOMBERS!!!!

#7494 --- 10/03/04 05:22 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
I hate it whenever we play Anaheim, what is it with them?
What's the record against them anyway?

#7495 --- 10/03/04 05:26 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

4 and 5 this year I think and they have no problem winning when they play in New York. I'm going to gag on my next statement but:

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

#7496 --- 10/03/04 08:02 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Thank God we have Minnesota again this year. I couldn't bare the idea of playing Anaheim in the playoffs this year with what happened 2 years ago. With the way the Yankees have played against the Twins the past few years, it might be easy to say that the Yankees are going to move to the ALCS in at least 4 games.

Does anyone know how Boston and Anaheim did against each other this year.

#7497 --- 10/04/04 02:08 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

9 games played, 5-4 Sox. When do the playoff rosters get announced?

Do you put Giambi on the first round roster? By performance, no. By Joe's loyalty thing, yes. I think he's on yet my first impression is that he isn't. Who else is "at risk"? If Giambi is on then is Olerud off or Clark? Don't need 3 first basemen but who should sit??? Probably Clark. Bubba? I think yes for pinch running? Ruben? yes too. Karsay? No. Quantrill? Tough one. Been shaky lately, overworked. Sturtze? DEFINITELY! Lofton? He could easily be left off IMO. Loaiza? Nope.

Real curious about Giambi especially.

#7498 --- 10/04/04 04:16 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Highlander Offline

I just heard it confirmed, Giambi is off the first round roster !

#7499 --- 10/04/04 08:31 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Are the playoff rosters posted somewhere on line? Been looking for them but can't find them.

#7500 --- 10/04/04 10:11 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Highlander Offline

I don't know about that, Ed. I heard the Giambi omission in an interview w/ Joe Torre on the YES Network.

10/04/2004 2:05 PM ET
Statement from George M. Steinbrenner
Principal Owner, New York Yankees

"I'm just hopeful -- hopeful that the pitching is OK and that we are playing championship baseball. I am hopeful for New York and I want to give New York a championship."

Where's that authoritative confidence, General ?

#7501 --- 10/05/04 06:01 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Finally found out about rosters. They need to be finalized by 10 a.m. today. Chatter seems to be if Loaiza is added as "insurance" against El Duque's questionability then that would probably leave Giambi off the roster. Torre's interview on YES did sound like Quantrill was on the roster though. Didn't hear about first base but I suspect it's both Clark and Olerud on w/ Giambi therefore out.

#7502 --- 10/05/04 07:52 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Eddie,

How could you possibly even question El Duque's post season experience. Yes, his last two starts have not been particularly great. In part, there might of been one of his last starts where he threw 120 some odd pitches. But he should not be left off of the post season roster. Who would you carry then. Crosby?

#7503 --- 10/06/04 08:51 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

Well we're down 0-1 to the Twins, just like last year. I'm not feeling quite so confident this time around however.

I was upset to see Mariano Rivera come out to pitch the top of the 9th last night. Almost felt like we wasted him. We might need him in the next 2-3 games. I would have atleast liked to see Torre try someone else first and see if they could get through the 9th without allowing any baserunners before Rivera came out.

Santana showed why he should be the AL Cy Young winner. Mussina pitched great but made more mistakes. Santana was outstading at letting the Yankees get on base but never cross home plate.

I was really hoping for a win last night. Thinking that Mussina was out best chance at a sure thing. Unfortunately Santana was better and now the Yanks are in serious trouble.

#7504 --- 10/06/04 11:51 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

They mentioned a stat during last night's game that pointed out the fact the Yankees historically lose game one of the playoff series a large percentage of the time.I can't remember the exact number. So, 'No worries, Mate'! I have faith in our Boys, the bats will come to life!!

The last time The Yankees were eliminated in Yankee Stadium was 22 years ago !

#7505 --- 10/06/04 10:33 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

YANKEES WIN!!!!! DAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES WIIIIIIN!!!!!

#7506 --- 10/06/04 10:46 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
StillLearning Offline

Did they win yesturday?

#7507 --- 10/08/04 04:32 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Yankee 'memory' is so very easily manipulated ~ If Brown can come up BIG tonight, all will be forgotten as well as forgiven ! I hope he surprises, the 'ole shock and awe, a lot of people this evening! I am receiving some positive vibes, hope I'm right!

It don't come easy, ya know it don't come easy!

#7508 --- 10/08/04 05:05 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues and you know it don't come easy Thank you Mr. Starkey.

I have good feelings too Tino. Just have the 'Derek taking over feeling', the " we have an appointment with some people from Boston and we'd reather not break our plans" feeling.

Read where Kevin Brown, uncharacteristically, called a team meeting when he came back from the injury and cleared the air by apologizing for hurting the team thru his stupidity and said that he just let his competitive nature get the best of him. Obviously his independent nature has not allowed the Joe Torre mantra to sink in yet. It's team first Kevin, we know you are trying your best. Just keep trying and remember to do things in the TEAM'S best interest. Derek, Bernie, Jorge know. Gary and Alex have learned as have many others. For Kevin Brown it seems to have taken a little longer.

Yes, good feelings about this evening.

LET'S GO YANKEES!!!

#7509 --- 10/08/04 05:17 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Quote:

Just have the 'Derek taking over feeling'

Ah yes, the Mr. October air apparent!

I don't ask for much, I only want your trust,
And you know it don't come easy.

#7510 --- 10/08/04 10:28 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

no no no.. Mr. NOVEMBER!!!! Mr. October is passe..

Derek is amazing. I convinced a Red Sox fan that he is the premier shortstop in the league, despite what stats say. He really has no peers as far as I am concerned. He may not be the guy that goes 4-5 when they pile on for a nice 10-2 win.. but he will go 2-4 in those clutch games where the team needs him. Look at the first 2 games. A key bunt, lead off homerun to set the tone, a great defensive play on a ball up the middle. They seem routine, but when Jeter does it, there is a special something about it. I don't want to sound like a homer or anything, but there really is no other guy in the league that can set the tone quite like Jeter. Ok.. I am a homer, but Jeter rocks!

#7511 --- 10/09/04 07:28 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Had a conversation with my die-hard Red Sox fan brother on just that same topic about Jeter. After I told him I was rooting for the Sox to win and he said that he's rooting for the Yankees (we need the rematch) he confided his envy for Jeter. The guy is just the comsumate team player and leader. "Yes Mr. Torre, what do you need me to do? Lead off the game with a 440 foot home run? Yes sir. Lay down a sacrifice bunt? Yes sir. Sacrifice fly? Yes sir. Ground out to the right side to advance the runner from second to third so someone else can drive him in? I can do that for you sir."

If ever the naming of a team captain was appropriate, it seems that the naming of Jeter has been the most correct ever.

MVP? NO contest on the Yankees and even Gary Sheffield the apparent MVP based on stats this year would agree. They can do without any player... except Jeter.

Maybe he should be called Mr. Marapmajunlyaugseptober.

#7512 --- 10/09/04 12:09 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Torre said of Jeter: "He'll kid me a lot when he leads off -- 'Now you want me to take pitches' -- and winks because he knows he's not going to do that.

#7513 --- 10/09/04 12:14 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

YES!

#7514 --- 10/09/04 08:02 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

RUBEN SIERRA!!! Off the scrap heap and into Yankee history.

The right man at the right place at the right time.

Now that it's set, it can be said,

BRING ON THE DEAD SOX!!!

#7515 --- 10/10/04 07:16 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

I liked Psycho Steve Lyons call of the game last night when he correctly predicted that Sierra was looking to "go out and hook one into the right field seats"!
Wow.. Good solid outing my Loaiza. Would like Vasquez to have gone that far and pitched better. Oh well. Kudos to Torre for being 'smart' enough to save Moose for the first game of the ALCS.(yeah.. saving the Moose for game 5 my butt!)
Torre says.. we're the Yankees, they're the RedSox. It's supposed to be...

#7516 --- 10/10/04 10:39 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Vasquez just pitched himself out of contention for a start against Boston (I think and hope). With his penchant for giving up home runs he would get slaughtered against the Red Sox. Maybe El Duque's arm will recover enough for him to go in game 3 v the Dead Sox. An 80% Hernandez looks to be better than a 100% Vasquez right now. What a crapshoot Vasquez has become. We could see a game 3 by committee for the Yankees.

#7517 --- 10/10/04 08:31 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Houston, we may have a problem....

It is being reported a cousin of Mrs. Rivera was electrocuted along with his son while cleaning Mariano's pool which was surrounded by an electric fence at his home in Panama City.

Reportedly, Mrs. Rivera is enroute to that location, supposedly accompanied by Mo.

Of course, our thoughts & prayers are with the Rivera family !

It is not clear at this time if Mariano will be on the Tuesday night game roster !!!!

#7518 --- 10/12/04 04:57 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

He can get there late. They won't need him until, oh about...11:15 tonight.

#7519 --- 10/12/04 05:12 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Who does Curt Schilling think he is? That arrogant son of a gun actually thinks he is going to shut up 55,000+ fans. He has absolutely no idea what he is getting himself into tonight.

#7520 --- 10/12/04 05:15 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Has anyone actually seen those T-shirts that were pulled by MLB yesterday that said "Hey Red Sox ... Who's your daddy?" in person?

#7521 --- 10/12/04 06:02 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Saw a picture of one on-line yesterday. Had the words "Hey Red Sox, Who's your Daddy?" and a picture of a red baby pacifier with the Boston red Sox logo on the sucker end of it. Too bad mlb pulled them off the market. Want to see it? Go to:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3075706

Can't wait to hear the chant tomorrow when Martinez pitches. I expect it will be like the "Let's Go Yankees" Clap, clap, clap clap clap. With the last three claps being real close together...except it will "Who's your Daddy, clap, clap, clap clap clap. It should be awesome!

#7522 --- 10/13/04 06:32 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

There is no reason that I should NOT have fingernails today. NO REASON. That game last night got a lot more interesting than it needed to.

Oh, and congratulations to Johnny Damon on his
GOLDEN SOMBRERO!!!

#7523 --- 10/13/04 09:11 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

Holy Cow! Last night's game turned around in a blink of an eye. It's a shame we had to use Mariano. All game long I was thinking how this game was going to be such a godsend seeing that the Yanks could rest their bullpen. Not the case!

Tonight we see if the Yanks truly are Pedro's daddy. If they score on him early expect it to snowball as the Yankee Stadium crowd will be going nuts! On the other side of the ball we'll have to see which Jon Lieber shows up.

There is NOTHING in sports better than this series!

#7524 --- 10/13/04 11:25 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

I hope Jon Lieber does not throw everything down the middle as he is prone to do. This "throws strikes, works fast" thing may not be the best plan against a team that can knock the stuffing out of the ball, i.e. the Red Sox. He needs to work the corners and set people up because if his mindset is to "walk no one at all costs" then the Sox are going to be sitting dead red all night against him...and that scares the bejezzuz out of me.

...and yes it does not get any better than this.

#7525 --- 10/13/04 06:33 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

I feel as bad about Curt Schilling being hurt as Red Sox fans feel about El Duque's arm problem.

****** for tat baby. Pitch him, it's a long off season.

#7526 --- 10/13/04 06:34 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Breast for tat? Gimme a break!

#7527 --- 10/14/04 06:32 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Elliot Offen Offline

Leiber was outstanding. Better than expected. As Jim Rome would say, C3POlerud came through big last night. That's a professional.

Of course, all the Yankees are professionals when you compare them to the wannabe rebel Redintheface sox. I mean seriously, can they try any harder to be the anti-Yankees? They don't want to be anything the Yankees are..
The Boss says "Clean Shaven", so the Dead Sox grow facial hair and that Captain Caveman and Jericurl stuff.
The Boss demands that players play like champions, so the Bad Hair Sox play like a solid second place team.

Yup, they are the Anti-Yankees for sure!

Oh yeah.. Who's your Daddy??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25025&item=5130865692&rd=1

#7528 --- 10/14/04 07:18 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
SW FL guy Offline

Loc: SW FL
Lieber was "nails" last night-period !
(more Jim Rome gloss ??)
and the chants of "who's your Daddy"
and "Pedro" reminded me of the
"Darryl" chants back in the day !!
Talk about getting into someone's head !

#7529 --- 10/14/04 04:00 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

the Dead Sox

Thank you Carl. I thought I was the only one who used this moniker.

Further, in my exuberance last night, albeit controlled, I felt a need to "make a statement" about my feelings. I made up a "sticker" and I put it in the back of my car on the window so all the world could see how I felt. The sign may not have been novel but I'd never seen it before. It said, in 2 separate sections for the car, one on the left, one on the right:

THE RED SOX ARE LIKE THE WIND...
...THEY BLOW!!!

I peeled it off at lunch time because you know what, I don't HATE the Red Sox. If I wasn't a Yankees fan I could root for (most of) the PLAYERS on that team. It's just not the Yankees style to lower yourself to their level. Granted they are the BEST second place team ever...and isn't that enough when you come right down to it.

#7530 --- 10/14/04 08:54 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Any concerns about 'overworked' Gordon's ineffectiveness in the post season so far? I heard Torre say it was more about him being too 'psyched/hyped' !

#7531 --- 10/16/04 09:01 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Mildly concerned. I think Quantrill is probably the more overworked guy. Haven't seen him much in the postseason and not at all yet in the LCS.

#7532 --- 10/16/04 04:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Sympathetically listening to Duke and the Drivers (an old Boston band) as I count down to a 3-0 margin.

#7533 --- 10/16/04 04:46 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Followed by the idiots theme song, "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride".

Sing it Ace!

#7534 --- 10/16/04 06:16 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

My prediction, Brownie will do well for 3 innings, then it's a crap shoot (damp, cold weather + bad back)

He owes us the extra effort !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7535 --- 10/17/04 07:30 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Now that was a very enjoyable game.....

#7536 --- 10/17/04 11:02 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

what a game. I may have even felt embarrased for the dead sox once....nawwww, Stephen King is a jerk.

How quiet was it at the Green Monster? Quiet enough to hear the Yankees bats crack hits and runs....

#7537 --- 10/17/04 02:10 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

I felt pity but only momentarily.

Is it BROOM time???

#7538 --- 10/17/04 06:18 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

How bout them Yankees?

I heard a report before the ALCS even started that the Red Sox were favored to beat the Yankees. By the way the Yankees have hit and the way their pitching has been (with the exception of last night), I think that they are sending a signal out to the people out there that were thinking that the Yankees were not going to be that good this year after losing Clemens, Pettite and Wells.

#7539 --- 10/18/04 06:02 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Moonshadow Offline

Loc: New England
Mets rule, Yankees drool!

#7540 --- 10/18/04 08:45 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Well, you didn't expect the Sox to just roll over and play dead now did you? 5 o'clock start today.

GO YANKEES!!!

#7541 --- 10/18/04 08:51 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

Considering that the Yanks will face Pedro tonight and Schilling Tuesday, this series is far from over. The law of averages would suggest that Pedro beats the Yankees tonight. Personally I would like to see them score 10 runs on him by the 3rd inning and get this thing over with before it starts to get too interesting.

5:00 start tonight is GREAT! No more trying to stay awake until 1:30 AM like last night.

Go Yanks!

#7542 --- 10/18/04 09:28 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Agree, it is interesting enough.

#7543 --- 10/18/04 11:09 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

A five o'clock start time today, ugh. Hitters are going to have to deal with the shadows !

#7544 --- 10/18/04 12:12 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

I am glad the DEAD SOCKS fans had to sit thru 11 1/2 of NY YANKEE dominance, only to see a 1 run victory. This 1 AM stuff has to stop.......I missed the bottom of the 11th - just as well!

#7545 --- 10/18/04 04:43 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Okay, I'm watching this home plate ump very closely now! He better be consistent w/ that at the knees pitch call !!

Burn, Bernie, burn !!

#7546 --- 10/19/04 11:12 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Petey Offline

Gosh. What is up with Quantrill? That is back to back nights that he gave up the game winning hit to Ortiz. Plus, with Oleroud still hurt I wonder how much of a difference it would of made if Giambi was activated for this series.

#7547 --- 10/19/04 03:42 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quantrill HAS been shaky. Too many innings and appearances this year. I think he set a record for appearances.

Giambi? None!

All night long last night I "smelled" a big hit from Tony Clark, big as in home run. He came close on the double near the pesky pole but the Sox caught the break of the series when that ball went into the stands.

Finally, OK RED SOX, YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!

...but the dream dies tonight.

#7548 --- 10/19/04 06:54 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Petey, hopefully, we're going to win at home in front of 55,000 cheering, faithful fans !!!

#7549 --- 10/19/04 07:20 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

...but the dream dies tonight.

TONIGHT!!!

#7550 --- 10/20/04 06:21 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Mother puss bucket! I guess we have what everyone hoped for/expected...a Game 7. Oh well, if it had to be, it had to be. I will say this about that game. I was disappointed in the umpires. Don't they know who is paying them (off).

Maybe I'll try rooting for the Dead Sox if that's what it takes for the Yankees to win this thing.

Let's go Sssssssss...

CAN'T DO IT!

LET'S GO BRONX BOMBERS!!!

#7551 --- 10/20/04 11:41 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

Congratulations to Eddie's little brother's team, they did it the "Old Fashioned Way", they earned it !!!!

Now, what heads will "The General" roll ?

#7552 --- 10/21/04 08:27 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Don Offline

YUCK! Can it get any worse than last night?!?!?! Nice game Kevin Brown! I hope you never pitch in a Yankee uniform again.

What's up with the Yankee bats the past 2 nights? Seriously!!! The best lineup in baseball? These guys looked like a bunch of undiciplined HACKS at the hands of Derrick Lowe. YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!

Up 3-0 and you lose. First time in MLB history. THESE aren't the Yankees I know! Where is Paul O'Neill, where is the heart?!?!?!

Oh, and by the way.... Contrary to what everyone has been saying in the media since the game ended last night...

THE CURSE IS NOT DEAD! The curse isn't that the Red Sox always lose to the Yankees. The curse is that the Red Sox haven't won a world series title since 1918. Go it? You have a long way to go before the curse is lifted Red Sox nation!

I have not answered the phone yet today as I am sure that the 20-25 times it has rung it is all my old college friends from the Boston area. I need a couple of days before I can handle talking to those CHOWDERHEADS.

#7553 --- 10/21/04 08:38 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Don you should do what I did. I unplugged the phones and turned off my cellphone last night. The calls started about 5 seconds after the grandslam......

#7554 --- 10/21/04 08:51 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Moonshadow Offline

Loc: New England
(whispers) go red sox...METS RULE....(runs out fast..lol)

#7555 --- 10/21/04 09:29 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

My little brother AND my son's team. (Thought I raised that boy right? ) Got my call from a screaming Red Sox fan at 12:10 this morning. Guess he was entitiled to it.

Head rolling Tino? Can't do much with the players under contract and if Willie Randolph gets the Mets offer I think he's gone. Mel? Back? Maybe not. Base coaches? No problem there. Any cancers on the team? Don't really think so. Lofton complained a bit but I figure he was a one season aquisition anyway. Pitching? Ah herein lies the conversation. Is Vasquez the reincarnation of Ed Whitson and Jeff Weaver? He did have a great first 2/3 of a season. Kevin Brown? We all knew he was a crapshoot from the start with his age and his health history. Loaiza? Who knows, who cares. Mussina and Lieber were and are solid. Middle relief? OVERWORKED during the season and it showed in the LCS. All those long games aggravated the (non admitted) tired arms of Quantrill and Gordon.

Something though was missing from this team, some chemistry, some killer instinct...some Paul O'Neill-ism.

I think the Yankees offense masked a lot of the pitching problems the largest of which was the fact that 4 of last years 5 starters had to be replaced and that had to be the biggest challenge for the coaching staff. We all commented about having no lefty's as starters and turns out none really in the bullpen either. Once Gabe White was let go (remember him) and Heredia went into his funk they were "pitching exposed" and it caught up with them against a really inspired Red Sox team.

I now will root for the RED SOX in the World Series because after all, I am an American League fan, so...

LET'S GO RED SOX KEEP THE TITLE IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE!!!

#7556 --- 10/21/04 10:38 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
roadguy Offline

Loc: here

#7557 --- 10/21/04 11:45 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Deacon Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way. (And, oh by the way, it wouldn't be "keeping" it in the AL, since the title isn't in the AL right now anyway.) However, I do agree that this was a pitching issue for the Yanks. Signing Carlos Beltran (which is pretty much a foregone conclusion) will have the same effect as signing Rodriguez last year: NOTHING. Pitching wins in the playoffs. It's proven every year. Derek Lowe stepped up last night, Schilling stepped up in Game 6, Boston's bullpen stepped up in Games 4 and 5. It seems pretty simple. There are very few guys who have the makeup to pitch under the Bronx microscope. Clearly Loaiza and Vasquez do not. Kevin Brown just doesn't have it anymore. (Kind of like how Pedro just doesn't have it anymore.) This offseason should be all about finding THE RIGHT pitchers for that squad. Until then, they will falter in the playoffs in the same way they have done for the last 4 seasons.

Gio, hopefully you will receive as good as you have given to your brother for all these years. He deserves it...

#7558 --- 10/21/04 12:00 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Quote:

Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way.

Thats because yankee fans are better people then Red Sox fans...

Quote:

Gio, hopefully you will receive as good as you have given to your brother for all these years. He deserves it...
Quote:

I have never...well almost never ah never mind your probably right...

#7559 --- 10/21/04 05:36 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

Eddie, I am appalled. Would a Red Sox fan root for the Yankees in the World Series to "keep it in the AL"? No freakin' way. (And, oh by the way, it wouldn't be "keeping" it in the AL, since the title isn't in the AL right now anyway.)

Gio kind of adressed this (and thank you Gio) and you are right. It is not in the AL and I think I left that in my post although I knew it was wrong.

Now, how can a Yankees fan root for the Red Sox? It's kind of like when Mynderse Academy lost to Naples in the soccer state playin game in Honeoye Falls in the snow in 2000. That was the year Tim Donk set the record for shutouts, the year Mynderse lsot a player in an auto accident before the season started (ironically he passed on Sept. 11, 1999. RIP C.Q.) The thing to do was to congratulate the team that beat you and wish them well down the road to prove that their success was your success. Jeter said it right,"To be the best you have to beat the best". I wish the Red Sox well because i want the baseball world to know that the Red Sox are a battle toughened team that knows what it takes to win because they faced the toughest of obstacles, the NYY, the most successful franchise in sports history.

Does that explain it?

That plus if I wasn't a Yankees fan for more than a lot of years it would be very easy to get behind the Red Sox. They have a certain charisma to them, a don't quit attitude that is a pure part of any game.

#7560 --- 10/22/04 04:20 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Deacon Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I think in most cases, I would agree in that you want to be beaten by the best. But when they are your sworn, mortal enemy, then I think the equation changes. Just my opinion. Back in the day, I would always pull for the Big East in the NCAA tourney, but never Georgetown. They were the enemy, plain and simple. Would a Bills' fan root for the Dolphins in the Super Bowl, just because they are a fellow AFC team? No way...I wouldn't pull for Miami if they were playing the Death Row inmate all-star squad.

Personally, I'd like to see Boston win so everyone (mostly just Yankee fans and Fox Sports) can finally shut up about "the Curse".

#7561 --- 10/22/04 04:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Maybe I'm mellowing with age or I just like a lot of the players on the Boston team but for me, at this point, it's an AL/NL thing. I really do NOT like the NL.

I think though I am somewhat representative of a lot of Yankee fans compared to Boston fans. Yankee fans (IMO) have beaten the Red Sox down so much that when an ABERRATION like the Sox winning happens it's not that big a deal as for Sox fans who HAVE been beaten down and laughed at by Yankees fans (with superiority complexes) and have bought into the curse thing so much that when they DO finally win it is their right to be insultive and exhibit large amounts of braggadacio.

In the final analysis what it comes down to is that the Yankees have been superior to the Sox for so long that when an ACCIDENT occurs it is just that, an ACCIDENT. For Sox fans, it is like the second coming of Christ.

But then again maybe it's just the purist in me and my age. I just don't hate them that much. I agree with your NFL take though but I can't remember (damn Alzheimer's) if I ever rooted against someone because they were MY team's "sworn" enemy.

Do NASCAR die hards root against someone? I guess so if one is to judge by the Jeff Gordon "hatred".

Must be me.

#7562 --- 10/24/04 02:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

The Yankees have offered the bench coach job to Joe Girardi, if Willie Randolph gets the Mets Managerial gig.

If Willie doesn't get the job, the Yankees want Girardi to be the bullpen coach in 2005, with an eye on the bench coach job in the future.

BTW, Jack McKeon has a standing offer for Joe to be the bench coach of the Marlins.

Personally, I hope the Yankees can get Girardi on board.

He is PRECISELY the kind of coach they need. Young, understands today's players, since he played with and against many of them, and a link to the recent championship teams.

Great baseball mind, and a guy who has a bright future. I would like to see the Yankees tap that mind, as opposed to some other team.

#7563 --- 10/24/04 04:43 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Agree about Girardi. Have listened to him on the YES network pre and postgame shows and "Joe Knows!". Funny how it seems the best baseball minds are catchers. The tools of ignorance??? Maybe there's a method to catcher's madness. I don't think the Yankees will let Girardi ever get too far outside the fold as Torre "winds down" (?).

Bench coach in Florida huh? Hey why not, the weather's always warm. Good enough for Sweet Lou, good enough for Joey T.

#7564 --- 10/28/04 09:34 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Randy Johnson, Eric Milton, Carl Pavano...names being bantered about in the press as targets for the Yankees for next year. Hell why not try to get Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn and Bob Gibson too.

#7565 --- 10/29/04 11:18 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Pursuant to my posting on the "Yankees cursed?" thread, which of us Yankee fans is responsible for the bottom falling out against Boston? With baseball being such a superstitious game, what did any of us do differently that "cursed" them? I know what I did wrong and it's monumental and I realized it as I was doing it and could not stop it until it was too late . What did you do differently between games 3 and 4 that contributed? For example, did anyone start sitting in a different chair, drink beer from a different glass, wear a different hat, put your shoes and socks on differently, put a Yankees sticker on your front door, kiss your wife? Before I tell mine, you tell me yours, OK?

Tino, Tony Kubek, Petey, Carl Spackler, Gio, HighLander, Don, Seymore L., SW FL guy...you reading this? Which one of you did it?

#7566 --- 10/29/04 11:22 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

The Sox won because my brother made the ultimate sacrafice and got married.....I knew there was another reason for him getting hitched...He always said he wouldnt get married until they won...bastard.

I swear to God it wasnt my fault. I only watched game four of the ALSC....

#7567 --- 10/29/04 11:26 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Don't go quoting John Belushi from the "Blues Brothers" movie now. You only watched game 4? You didn't watch the first 3? You changed your viewing habits? You therefore are at fault and contributed to their demise.

Who else?

#7568 --- 10/29/04 11:36 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

nay!!! if I watch a game they always lose therefore the guys on the FD banned me from watching any important games...its not my fault!!!!!!!

#7569 --- 10/29/04 11:41 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

So let me get this straight. You correctly did not watch games 1,2 & 3 and they won, right? You then watched game 4 and they lost, right? WHY DID YOU DO THAT??? Why did you watch? You planted the seed of negativity.

Not "nay" but "yea", you were part of the problem.

Who else?

#7570 --- 10/29/04 11:43 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

My mother hosted a birthday dinner for my spouse on game seven evening! Can you imagine that, I had to watch the beginning of the game from a different location than normal !?

Therefore, it is my mother-in-laws fault for giving birth to her third child many moons ago !

#7571 --- 10/29/04 11:47 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

see....I knew I was innocent....its Tino's fault! He should be burned at the stake by his own admission of guilt!!!

#7572 --- 10/29/04 12:12 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Tino's mother-in-law and mother are indirectly at fault.
Tino is at fault for watching in a different place.
Gio, you are not innocent. Accept responsibility for contributing to their failure. You do accept, yes?

There is no need to mete out punishment. The Yankees loss is our punishment. This isn't supposed to be like the Spanish Inquisition although
" NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!". This is more like a Washington investigation.

Who else?

#7573 --- 10/31/04 09:26 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

OK, my turn as it seems many have gone and hidden. I bought yankee bumper stickers and static cling decals on friday in Watkins Glen. Put some on the car, on mirrors, at home, put a message across the back window of my car (that i did take down after a half a day because it's not my style) that said "The Red Sox are like the wind..." on the left, then on the right I finished with "...they BLOW!"

Damage was done, my fault, I hurt my team.

Who else?

#7574 --- 11/04/04 07:08 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

New topic. Mel gone, Willie gone... Heard Mel might have been forced out. Knew he came back reluctantly last year. The pitching staff was his responsibility last year and it did have it's problems but in all fairness he had to work with a whoooole lot of new people and some had some serious problems during the year. Guess someone's gotta take the fall when you blow it like the Yankees did at the end.

Good luck Willie. You're going to need it.
Happy trails Mel. You were a rock.

#7575 --- 11/04/04 07:26 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

I'd like to see 'Louisiana Lightning' as Mel's replacement and Girardi sitting along side Torre on the bench!

Hey, Tino's a free agent!

We are Family !

#7576 --- 11/04/04 07:38 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Gio Offline
Gold Member

I thought Mel was leaving at the end of this year anyways??? Did I misunderstand?

Willie to the Mets....THE METS!!??!!!

#7577 --- 11/04/04 07:41 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Tino's a free agent, hmmmm. Bring him back where though? The Yankees right now have 4 first baseman. Lee, Giambi, Clark and Olerud. Granted many of them will be gone next year but as nice as it sounds I don't see it happening. Too bad but one can dream right Tino?

Guidry as pitching coach. Heard Neil Allen was in line for it. I seem to recall that name. Think he pitched in the bigs, maybe for LA or the Mets...or maybe he was an astronaut. Got an astronaut sounding name!

Girardi on the bench would be very nice but are you training him for something or having him give Joe advice? I think Joe G would have to do some minor league coaching before he got to the dance. After all it's not like he's Don Mattingly or something. I just hope Bucky Dent doesn't end up sitting next to Joe. Just don't like Dent as a guy involved in big league decisions.

#7578 --- 11/06/04 09:12 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
Mattingly is going to be the bench coach because in my eyes he is the heir to the throne and very honestly could be the manager at the start of next season. With this move i belive that they will make Paul Oneill the hitting coach. The pitching coach, thats another story, as i have not heard any rumblings of that nature but if clemens, were not pitching, than i would throw his name into the fire, because george deffinately wants him going inot the hall wearing the interlocking NY.

#7579 --- 11/06/04 02:05 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Highlander Offline

I certainly can't vouch for this article's reliability.

NY Times Article

Quote:

Yankees Are Said to Be Hiring Girardi as Bench Coach
By JACK CURRY

Published: November 6, 2004

While the Yankees wait for their pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre, to change his mind about retiring, they are ready to hire Joe Girardi to replace Willie Randolph as bench coach.
The Yankees would not comment yesterday on Girardi's status, but Girardi has told associates that he has agreed to sit beside Manager Joe Torre next season.
Girardi spent last season announcing games for the YES Network, but he has long had a desire to return to the Yankees in an on-the-field capacity.
With Girardi poised to become the bench coach, he would presumably surpass Don Mattingly as the leading candidate to succeed Torre. Randolph and Mattingly were considered the top candidates from the 2004 staff, but Randolph is now managing the Mets and Mattingly, as batting coach, has slipped a rung beneath Girardi

#7580 --- 01/03/05 05:26 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Quote:

I'd like to see 'Louisiana Lightning' as Mel's replacement and Girardi sitting along side Torre on the bench!

Hey, Tino's a free agent!

We are Family !

"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. When you wish upon a star your DREAMS come true"

Congratulations Tino...on your namesake coming back home! Si, Si, sede benvenuta, Tino! Welcome home friend!

What are Paullie and Scott up to these days?

#7581 --- 01/06/05 11:18 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA

#7582 --- 01/07/05 06:17 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Nice picture Rascal. I guess the next obvious question would be I wonder if Alex squats when he pees.

#7583 --- 01/08/05 09:48 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
exyankeeguy Offline

Loc: Gulf of Mexico
In all honesty, I dont blame A-Rod for attempting that. Considering the umps, he almost got away with it. Damn conferences that they have lol. That ump Derringer in the KC St Louis series would have been proud if that call had stood lmao

#7584 --- 01/09/05 10:20 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Yankees resign Sierra.
EXCELLENT!!!
I feel like breaking into a McDonalds commercial..."I'm lovin' it."

#7585 --- 01/10/05 09:11 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
roadguy Offline

Loc: here
Wow...the Yankees average age gets older and older with each signing.

It's going to be interesting in a few years when all these guys retire. Considering the wonderful farm system they have now.

Wait!! I get it! George wants the Yankees to be the Oakland Raiders of baseball.

#7586 --- 01/10/05 05:42 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

Not older...more seasoned.

#7587 --- 01/15/05 07:40 PM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Tino Offline

I noticed Randy is already conforming, he's sans the mullet !

#7588 --- 01/17/05 11:35 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
exyankeeguy Offline

Loc: Gulf of Mexico
I dont think we have to worry about that mean streak Randy has. If he treats the media that way, just imagine how he'll treat the Red Sox! lol

#7589 --- 01/22/05 09:47 AM Re: NEW YORK YANKEES
Eddie Offline

I find it interesting that with all the teams shuffling their line ups during the offseason, the Yankees starting 8 will only have a change at second base. I do wonder who Bernie Williams' back up will be in centerfield. Bubba Crosby? Hope so. I liked the way he carried himself last year. Who will be the back up utility infielder? Enrique Wilson is gone to Baltimore, Cairo is with the Mets now. Will it be that farmhand who subbed for Jeter when his shoulder got blown out? Maybe they'll sign Jose Vizcaino again. They always find someone who does a credible job though.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >