Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#750075 --- 02/10/08 01:57 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
How about a taste of the tropical highlands? Here's a chiriqui gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/luiggi_t/chiriqui

Nice. Are you going to write up a report for us about your trip?

FingerLakes1.com
#750102 --- 02/10/08 04:58 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
My life would be boring to most people.

It'd go something like. "VMS rented a house in Panama for a month, cheaply, read 12 books, walked his butt off, soaked up the heat and sun, went a few places, had some medical and dental stuff done cheaply, ate well and large, for 1/3 what it'd cost here, and had a few women actually touch his blond head, while their babies stared with rapt attention. He was, once again, charmed by the beauty of the country and the people.

Senor James had to come back for a while, but has gone unrepentingly native, and will soon permanently relocate what's left of himself.".

Really not a lot to say, except that I'll welcome visitors. I had a 4 bdrm, 2 bath to myself, and intend to try to keep that place; I thought the location was perfect. It's about 5 miles from the Pacific, 25 from Volcan Baru, the highest Panamanian point, at 11,400 ft. (I could see all of it from in front of my house, looking up the valley), and about 2.5 road miles from David, Panama's 2nd largest city, with 150,000 pop., and only cows, horses, trees and pasture, and a creek and a river, between me and it (it's about 2/3 of a mile away).

There's plenty of stuff on line about Panama; people don't need another boring travelogue; reading one is often like reading about somebody else having sex. What I really like to read about a country are the statistics, and about the culture and history. After doing that, and comparing it with other countries, the thing to do is go there and see how you like it.

I'd be glad to answer any questions, though. To me it's a state of mind and a different (and warmer) life.

I guess one of the things that I like most is the sheer biological diversity. With over 1000 species of birds seen there, it's got more than in all of the rest of North America and Europe combined. 59 species of hummingbirds, for instance, and I probably saw 8 kinds in my yard. It's got over 2,000 species of native hardwoods. Whales from both the Northern and the Southern hemispheres go there to calve. Panama translates from an indigenous language as "place of many fishes"; they fish for big marlin about 5 miles off shore., etc., etc.. And then there are the flowers, toads and frogs, and the butterflys...and everything. I really think I'd like to open a plant nursery there.

Edited by VM Smith (02/10/08 05:37 AM)

#750105 --- 02/10/08 05:08 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
WOW,Smitty..you do not sound boring at all...Now,changing diapers all day,singing silly songs and making Mickey Mouse Pancakes..is what I do ..But there is never a dull moment,ever..but to be on an Island with no kids..hmmm one could only dream!!

#750124 --- 02/10/08 05:34 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: sparky's back]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"Island with no kids."

It'd be Heaven for a while, and I could handle it better than someone who's had kids, probably, but sooner or later, most of us need people.

Panama does have 1518 islands, though, as well as more coastline than Florida, although it's slightly smaller than South Carolina. It's got 38 people per sq. mile, whereas the lower 48 has 100 per.

#750126 --- 02/10/08 05:36 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
VM, What's the weather like during the hurricane season? Or don't they have massive swings in weather patterns?

#750127 --- 02/10/08 05:37 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Where is that one link you posted a long time ago..I remember reading about cheap housekeepers!!!

#750144 --- 02/10/08 05:52 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

They don't get hurricanes. The country lies between latitude 8&9 N, which is too far south for them. The rest of Central America gets hit, but not Panama. They get small earthquakes, but no big ones, as the fault there is not connected to the Sierra Madre fault that runs down from Mexico. Temp swings only about 3-4 degrees year 'round, as it's only about 480-540 miles from the equator. They do have a wet and a dry season.

Now I'm going to make some Costa Rican mountain estate grown coffee, which is quite similar to Panamanian. Superb, that is.

Edited by VM Smith (02/10/08 07:59 AM)

#750156 --- 02/10/08 06:08 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Mmmmmmmmm Costa Rican coffee!

#750162 --- 02/10/08 06:11 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: sparky's back]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Don't know, but here's one:

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20060711091849918/print

I had a good deal. The owner lived right in back of me, but her slab was higher than my roof peak, so privacy was good, as well as security.

She had a daily yardman, and two different maids. I got to be buddies with the yardman, who used to come down often in the afternoon for a seco or a rum, plus he repaired a few things, and I paid him $2 to sweep and mop the house, including the patio and porch. The maids would wash 1 pair pants, a shirt, and underwear and socks for $1.00 (that was $2.35 in a David laundry last march), and 1 set of bed linen for the same, and bring them back the same day. I didn't buy any clothes, as I did last time, as it was so easy to keep the 3 sets I brought clean.I took 1 very light jacket, for the mountains or for rain,but no sweaters or long sleeve shirts; you don't need them in the lowlands.

Edited by VM Smith (02/10/08 06:13 AM)

#750171 --- 02/10/08 06:17 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: HeavenlyPlaces
Mmmmmmmmm Costa Rican coffee!

It's a dark roast, from the Corrales family, who have been growing, roasting, and grinding it, at 3900 ft., since 1835. Mmnnnn..the 1st sip!

#750180 --- 02/10/08 06:27 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Where in CR are they located?

#750195 --- 02/10/08 06:42 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
seneca_lady Offline

Loc: seneca falls
My life would be boring to most people.

It'd go something like. "VMS rented a house in Panama for a month, cheaply, read 12 books, walked his butt off, soaked up the heat and sun, went a few places, had some medical and dental stuff done cheaply, ate well and large, for 1/3 what it'd cost here, and had a few women actually touch his blond head, while their babies stared with rapt attention. He was, once again, charmed by the beauty of the country and the people.

Senor James had to come back for a while, but has gone unrepentingly native, and will soon permanently relocate what's left of himself.".

Really not a lot to say, except that I'll welcome visitors. I had a 4 bdrm, 2 bath to myself, and intend to try to keep that place; I thought the location was perfect. It's about 5 miles from the Pacific, 25 from Volcan Baru, the highest Panamanian point, at 11,400 ft. (I could see all of it from in front of my house, looking up the valley), and about 2.5 road miles from David, Panama's 2nd largest city, with 150,000 pop., and only cows, horses, trees and pasture, and a creek and a river, between me and it (it's about 2/3 of a mile away).

There's plenty of stuff on line about Panama; people don't need another boring travelogue; reading one is often like reading about somebody else having sex. What I really like to read about a country are the statistics, and about the culture and history. After doing that, and comparing it with other countries, the thing to do is go there and see how you like it.

I'd be glad to answer any questions, though. To me it's a state of mind and a different (and warmer) life.

I guess one of the things that I like most is the sheer biological diversity. With over 1000 species of birds seen there, it's got more than in all of the rest of North America and Europe combined. 59 species of hummingbirds, for instance, and I probably saw 8 kinds in my yard. It's got over 2,000 species of native hardwoods. Whales from both the Northern and the Southern hemispheres go there to calve. Panama translates from an indigenous language as "place of many fishes"; they fish for big marlin about 5 miles off shore., etc., etc.. And then there are the flowers, toads and frogs, and the butterflys...and everything. I really think I'd like to open a plant nursery there.

wow that vacation sounds priceless vm thx for sharing

#750234 --- 02/10/08 07:33 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Finca (farm) Naranjo (naranja is 'orange" in Panama), Alajuela, CR
http://www.cafecorrales.com
506 303 2233

I don't know how CR is, but Panama has no area codes, only the 507 country code. In Panama, land lines are 7 digit, and cells are 8.

#750237 --- 02/10/08 07:46 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: seneca_lady]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I had a great time. If you respect them, aren't impatient with their different cultural clock, and with their English, and you at at least appear to be making the effort to learn some Espanol, they'll treat you like a friend. I also had learned a little about the country, statistics, geography and history of the place, which pleased some of them. Thanks, Google!

I was also lucky that my landlady spoke English well, and that her Spanish-German sons spoke it very well, having gone to college in Maryland, and in Colorado and Oregon. The older one teaches English, and is presently going for his Master's.

The yardman didn't speak a word of English, but he sure knew Don Abuello 7 yr. old rum. What the heck, it's only $13 for a 1.75., and he was a helpful and friendly guy. Seco is the national drink; it's like vodka, but is made from cane, and is $2-6/1iter in the grocery stores, which is where you buy booze.

Edited by VM Smith (02/10/08 07:52 AM)

#750415 --- 02/10/08 11:22 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

If you respect them, aren't impatient with their different cultural clock, and with their English, and you at at least appear to be making the effort to learn some Espanol, they'll treat you like a friend.

And why not make the effort? It's not like there's anything better to do. :-)

Thanks for the report. I think you'll find that some folks who have never set foot outside of the USA will glaze over when you try to talk about your adventures. They just can't relate. It's nothing personal.

Hey, why don't we try to get Sky to go back down there with you? He'd love it. Maybe he could run a jump school for tourists on the beach. Really. People on vacation will try anything.

#750417 --- 02/10/08 11:23 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: AbuDhabi]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
If you respect them, aren't impatient with their different cultural clock, and with their English, and you at at least appear to be making the effort to learn some Espanol, they'll treat you like a friend.

Thanks for the report. I think you'll find that some folks who have never set foot outside of the USA will glaze over when you try to talk about your adventures. They just can't relate. It's nothing personal.

Hey, why don't we try to get Sky to go back down there with you? He'd love it. Maybe he could run a jump school for tourists on the beach. Really. People on vacation will try anything.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#750419 --- 02/10/08 11:25 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: sparky's back]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: sparky's back
WOW,Smitty..you do not sound boring at all...Now,changing diapers all day,singing silly songs and making Mickey Mouse Pancakes..is what I do ..But there is never a dull moment,ever..but to be on an Island with no kids..hmmm one could only dream!!

Ha! You sound like me. I just took the little chip out of the bathtub and turned him over to Mom for lights-out. Today we went out and played in the mud for two hours: never a dull moment!

#750421 --- 02/10/08 11:27 AM Re: Advanced Round [Re: SkySoldier]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: SkySoldier
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I'm serious. You'll have to find someone with a plane, of course, but you just set up shop on the beach and sell jumps. They have little parasailing and jumping deals all over the place in tourist areas in Mexico.

#750721 --- 02/10/08 07:40 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: VM Smith]
MKB Offline

Loc: Village of Seneca Falls, NY
VMS

Opps--either I am not making myself clear, or you are misreading me.

The pipe dreams and destruction of economic development, with the prior destruction of the trolley system and its infrastructure as an example, was in reference to the economic development (away from downtowns) that came with autos. As I don't drive, and haven't been on a horse in decades, far be it from me to badmouth the trolley system.

Non-market forces mean that consumers did not create the demand for autos. Rather, the internal marketing forces of corporations, along with their external "ownership" of legislators, are an excellent example of the creation and manipulation of idealized market forces via corporate advertising and destruction of alternate products/competitors (e.g., trolleys).

There are few needs or wants consumers have that have not been created for them, rather than by their market demands. You may recall Vance Packard's "The Hidden Persuaders" (1950) about the impact of advertising. His eye-opening treatise is, of course, common knowledge now, but it was published while the trolleys were being buried in Canarsie wetlands.

And don't forget the trolley system was introduced into New York City and Brooklyn through backdoor deals between powerful railroad executives and legislators. The wheel of influence just keeps turning, in this case hopefully backward.

MKB

#750770 --- 02/10/08 10:18 PM Re: Advanced Round [Re: MKB]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: MKB
There are few needs or wants consumers have that have not been created for them, rather than by their market demands. You may recall Vance Packard's "The Hidden Persuaders" (1950) about the impact of advertising. His eye-opening treatise is, of course, common knowledge now, but it was published while the trolleys were being buried in Canarsie wetlands.

And don't forget the trolley system was introduced into New York City and Brooklyn through backdoor deals between powerful railroad executives and legislators. The wheel of influence just keeps turning, in this case hopefully backward.

Yes, MKB, there are movers and shakers who herd the sheep.

Poor sheep.

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >