FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#716282 --- 12/24/07 01:13 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: VM Smith]
Sallie Offline

Loc: NY
I am a Witch, not a Wiccan either, though I am well versed in Wicca and have taught it plus other beliefs. I have been in covens and grottos. What I have seen many times is people complain or make a big deal out of others faiths and customs.
Next thing you see is a news article some Witch etc.. feels they are being prejudiced against blah blah blah. I tell the students I have had mind their own faith and leave others to theirs. You can't be discriminated against your faith if you don't allow it to happen in the first place. Knowledge is power. Simple education and not pushing your faith on others. Many people after talking to me feel enlightened and have made a new friend.
Simply being myself and people see I believe in my faith.

I like holidays no matter the faith. People create their own saddness around a holiday. They haven't learned to celebrate what they do have, only to morn what they preceive they have lost.
There is nothing wrong with remembering losses but when one lets the past control the now, they are not living and are still losing. I cannot change the past but I sure can shape my future!

FingerLakes1.com
#716307 --- 12/24/07 04:24 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: Sallie]
sparky's back Offline

Loc: At Home..in the kitchen!!
Originally Posted By: Sallie
I am a Witch, not a Wiccan either, though I am well versed in Wicca and have taught it plus other beliefs. I have been in covens and grottos. What I have seen many times is people complain or make a big deal out of others faiths and customs.
Next thing you see is a news article some Witch etc.. feels they are being prejudiced against blah blah blah. I tell the students I have had mind their own faith and leave others to theirs. You can't be discriminated against your faith if you don't allow it to happen in the first place. Knowledge is power. Simple education and not pushing your faith on others. Many people after talking to me feel enlightened and have made a new friend.
Simply being myself and people see I believe in my faith.

I like holidays no matter the faith. People create their own saddness around a holiday. They haven't learned to celebrate what they do have, only to morn what they preceive they have lost.
There is nothing wrong with remembering losses but when one lets the past control the now, they are not living and are still losing. I cannot change the past but I sure can shape my future!

#716405 --- 12/24/07 06:52 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: sparky's back]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
For me this year, it is not so much about the past, though there are people I will always miss at Christmas, namely my parents and my best friend who died in a car accident. Not to mention a son serving in Iraq. But, with the holidays here and soon to be over, my surgery looms near.

I will not let it ruin my Christmas, just a little nervous. Not so much over the actual procedure as being given extreme limitations after. I am very independent and I will have to be very dependent for a while after. I have waited a long time for this surgery, now it is almost here. I have a good support network of family and friends. I just have to rely on them, and I am not one to do that so easily.

But, for today, Christmas Eve is here and I will enjoy every minute of tonight at a friend's family celebration. Then, tomorrow the grandchildren and the children here, and I cannot wait to see them opening gifts. I will miss my son dearly as he is unable to come home until spring. I look forward to next year when he will be home for the holidays.

#716520 --- 12/24/07 11:18 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: Strawberry Jam]
MotherNature Offline

Loc: everywhere

I will not let it ruin my Christmas, just a little nervous. Not so much over the actual procedure as being given extreme limitations after. I am very independent and I will have to be very dependent for a while after. I have waited a long time for this surgery, now it is almost here. I have a good support network of family and friends. I just have to rely on them, and I am not one to do that so easily.

Having recently gone through knee surgery, for once, I have to agree with SBJ. The hardest part for me was letting others do for me (even in the hospital).

I was watching one of many Christmas movies over the weekend, and I heard one of the characters use the title of this thread. Give me a little chuckle.

#716939 --- 12/25/07 06:29 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: thattabeme]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Originally Posted By: thattabeme
...Why can't I find you? When did you go away? Was it after mom died, or after we lost the baby? Why do things just seem to get harder, and harder? I dread this time of year...

I hope you find some sunshine in today, Thattabeme.

#717077 --- 12/25/07 11:58 AM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: VM Smith]
MotherNature Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
"Wiccans celebrate the Yule. (Winter Solstice, celebrating the longest night and the blessings of darkness as well as the rebirth of the sun god. (Wicca/Paganism) (Dec. 21))"

Solstice is at0108 12/22 EST. Don't get the date wrong for your celebration, or the world will end in awful flaming death, and then we'll all have a miserable Christmas.

Ahhh, VM, I never said I was Wiccan. And my statement about when the Yule is came from the Net. Obviously, it's supposed to be the first day of winter (the longest night of the year).

#717086 --- 12/25/07 12:17 PM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: MotherNature]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Upon reading again, I see that you didn't say that. Sorry, it's a density problem.

Solstice varies according to year and location. We had the earliest sunset Dec. 8, and the latest sunrise will be about Jan.4. The wheel turns, and spring is coming!

Hope you're feeling better each day, and happy holidays!

#717090 --- 12/25/07 12:54 PM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: MotherNature]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: MotherNature
Then there's Qwanzaa and Ramadan. Nowhere have I seen anyone wish a happy or holy holiday to those who celebrate these days.

Ramadan is not a day, it's a month. And it ended about two months ago.

#717174 --- 12/25/07 09:51 PM Re: Where are you Christmas? [Re: AbuDhabi]
MotherNature Offline

And quaanza is 6 days. Chanukkah is 8 days and was last week or the week before. What's your point? I couldn't find a date for Ramadan.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10