FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#705752 --- 12/10/07 09:57 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: EJD]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: EJD
I am new to this forum and I have only joined for one reason: the statements made by Genie about the "poor moral behavior" of Mark Sissel. I have known Mark for 15 years, he is married to my sister. I would like to publicly state that in all the time that I have known him, he has ALWAYS acted in a moral and honest manner in all aspects of his life, and as a educator always puts the best interests of the students first. The misfortune that he has (and indeed all members of the educational community) is that we are now in the time of the "helicopter parent" who are overly involved in EVERY aspect of thier childrens existence, and are doubly blessed with the moral certanity that they know better than everyone else. It is a matter of state education law NOT to discuss personnel matters in public. As a teacher myself I have experienced the disruption that occurs when a teacher, especially a well liked teacher is dismissed, but I think it is wrong to characterize Mr. Sissel as being immoral because of the upset you feel over the circumstances here.

Genie is exercised over more than the present circumstances; she's "fed up with the abuse of power the school has and would like some straight answers for once." She's called a Fatwa, and even if she doesn't know the facts, it's payback time.

Edited by VM Smith (12/10/07 09:57 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#705780 --- 12/10/07 10:23 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: VM Smith]
Genie Offline

Loc: My Magic Bottle
Maybe it's these Jeans?

Edited by Genie (12/10/07 10:28 AM)

#705794 --- 12/10/07 10:37 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

As I said before, whatever you think he did before, even if he was an axe-murderer, has nothing to do with this situation, and I'm not going to get too excited over it until more facts come out.

Oh sure, they might be able to fire him for proven bad conduct (alledged, at the moment, and from where I sit) that the school finally found out about, but it still has exactly nothing to do with this situation.

You seem overly hasty to blame the school, without knowing the actual facts, which they can't publicize right now, and may be going off half-cocked.

You say that you don't have an axe to grind, but it sure sounds like it.

It may not be the jeans; what are you wearing underneath?

Edited by VM Smith (12/10/07 10:38 AM)

#705804 --- 12/10/07 10:52 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: VM Smith]
Genie Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
As I said before, whatever you think he did before, even if he was an axe-murderer, has nothing to do with this situation, and I'm not going to get too excited over it until more facts come out.

It may not be the jeans; what are you wearing underneath?

I forgot, sorry...ax murderers are extremely credible leaders, especially for our kids...great comparison...NOT.

As far as my under-garments are concerned, I would have to say that it falls into the TMI category.

Edited by Genie (12/10/07 10:53 AM)

#705807 --- 12/10/07 10:55 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: EJD]
Genie Offline

I have known Mark for 15 years, he is married to my sister.

My sympathies to you and your Sister.

#705820 --- 12/10/07 11:23 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You're missing the point again. No matter what he alledgedly did before, it doesn't logically follow that it has any bearing on this situation, especially given that you don't have any idea what the present situation actually involves. You're assuming that it is germane to the termination.

Let me try to explain it to you this way: When someone goes to court, convictions for, and rumors of, past wrongdoings are inadmissable as evidence.

#705823 --- 12/10/07 11:28 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"TMI category."

Three Mile Island? Sounds scary. Do they glow in the dark?

#705846 --- 12/10/07 11:57 AM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
EJD Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Genie
I have known Mark for 15 years, he is married to my sister.

My sympathies to you and your Sister.

No sympathy needed, Mark is a fine upstanding man. I know that MW has had many difficulties over the past few years, but it seems that the members of the comunity there have decided that no administrator is capable of doing the job. I predict a long period of turmoil if all of you continue in this manner. Good Luck!

#705854 --- 12/10/07 12:07 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: EJD]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Interesting screen name. Do you celebrate Eid?

#705855 --- 12/10/07 12:08 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: EJD]
Genie Offline

I know that MW has had many difficulties over the past few years, but it seems that the members of the comunity there have decided that no administrator is capable of doing the job.

Just curious...are you a member of the MW community? Being a big supporter of your Brother-in-law and all, I imagine you will attend the board meeting tonight to hear what the "community" has to say about this situation? You may find that I am not the only person who feels the way I do. It's always good to hear other opinions and views. Perhaps you will say a few words on Mr. Sissel's behalf? That would be enlightening for everyone, I'm sure.

Just a suggestion...

#705858 --- 12/10/07 12:14 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"You may find that I am not the only person who feels the way I do."

Chances are that you're not. I'm not even saying that the firing was just. All I'm saying is that you don't know that it was unjust. I'm sure that the meeting will be interesting.

#705860 --- 12/10/07 12:17 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: VM Smith]
MAKOLLIG JEZVAHTED Offline

Loc: Five Points C25, upon return c...
Too Much Infection....

#705868 --- 12/10/07 12:22 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
EJD Offline

I stand by my statements, You in the community will do what you feel that you need to do to get through this, I do wish you luck in making your school a better place. That is the goal of all members of the educational community whether you choose to believe that or not. Thank you for the invitation to the public forum, I will decline this as it is often too easy to get poked by a pitchfork or burned by a torch at these affairs.

#705882 --- 12/10/07 12:51 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: EJD]
Genie Offline

So you stand by your statements but not in a physical capacity, only verbally and behind the curtain of a public forum?

I will be at the meeting tonight even if I don't stand up and yell "Hey everyone, I'm Genie from the Fingerlakes1 forum!"

Geeze, if people are going to be poked with pitchforks or burn torches at this meeting we should have invited M. Night Shyamalan!!
You think he's available?

#705885 --- 12/10/07 01:09 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
EJD Offline

If you disagree with the management style of a person, and wish you had a different person doing the job that is one thing. It is certainly within your rights as a taxpayer and parent. It does seem unjust however to characterise that person as being immoral and dishonest as a means of achieving this objective.
As you attend the forum this evening and express your views please try to keep clear in your mind that there is a big difference between a person doing their job the way you think it should be done and being a bad person.
Please note that I have no interest in making personal attacks against any members of this community, my sole purpose is to present a point of view about a man's character based on a long friendship. Don't be too quick to judge a person that you don't know. (although it certainly does make it easier to confront a perceived enemy if they can be portrayed as evil)

#705899 --- 12/10/07 01:34 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"only verbally and behind the curtain of a public forum?"

Another sly shot. What do you want him to do, duke it out with them? Get Chuck Norris. LOL. People would only say, "Right,That's his brother in law!". Why should he waste his time?

#705996 --- 12/10/07 02:58 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: VM Smith]
Genie Offline

If this person really thinks Sissel is a great guy, how about showing up to show "moral" support?
I'm not saying this person has to get up and speak. Just listen to what is being said so he can participate in a conversation about it when they all get together for dinner.

Maybe this person knows Sissel on a personal basis and has no idea how he conducts himself at work? What a concept...

My Dad was a hard-ass boss at his place of employment. People used to say "Holy crap, your Dad is my boss!! He's a hard-ass!" I was always stunned to hear this because I could not even imagine my Dad being a hard ass! When I finally had a chance to work with my Dad on some projects, I realized he WAS a hard-ass! Not in a bad way, but definitely a strict boss! Some people are just different outside of work.

Maybe what we don't know won't hurt us and we are afraid to hear the truth.

#705998 --- 12/10/07 02:59 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: VM Smith]
Genie Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Get Chuck Norris. LOL.

Chuck Norris kicks butt!!

#706213 --- 12/10/07 07:32 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
me here Offline

Loc: Auburn, NY
I graduated from Whitman a long time ago and they have always had their share of drama with teachers-as do most school districts-when I was there we went through 2 art teachers because of relationships with students, one of the art teachers is still with the kid she ran off with today-at the time what a scandal this was! Then her replacement basically did the same thing. Stuff like this is nothing new-go yell outrage all ya want the school officials will do what they want to with or without support from the community.

#706230 --- 12/10/07 08:01 PM Re: Whitman Teacher Dismissed #2 [Re: Genie]
Zartan Offline

Loc: Secret COBRA Base
Is that where all your problems stem from. Daddy issues? What a concept. You didn't get enough love at home so now you have to make sure you overcompensate and become way too overbearing for your own kids.

You live in your little commune so when they get older they'll have to be the Gordon Gecko's of the next generation??

As far as certain members of the administration you seem to have a vendetta against I'm just wondering what your personal issues are. Did your child get told they were wrong and it went against your moral beliefs that your child can do no wrong??

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >