FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#699002 --- 11/30/07 07:19 AM Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Study rips failing public-defender systems in some Upstate counties

Public defenders in some Upstate counties are failing to provide adequate legal representation to the poor, an advocacy group charged Thursday.

Niagara, Ontario, Schuyler, Tioga, Washington and Cattaraugus counties were all given failing grades in an assessment of their ability to provide quality legal counsel to the poor accused of crimes in a study by the National Legal Aid and Defender Association.

Schuyler County received an “F” for training public defenders because the county's public defenders “are not provided with nor required to have any training in either criminal defense or family law,” according to the report.

“Neither the county nor the state has specific dedicated funding for continuing legal education of public defense attorneys,” according to the report.

The full report is available at http://www.nysda.org

By Dan Osburn
Gannett News Service
Originally published November 30, 2007

FingerLakes1.com
#699105 --- 11/30/07 09:58 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: newsman38]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
How dare they criticize Schuyler County! This is all just a bunch of lies! Hypocrites! Double-dealers! Witch hunters! Assasins!

It's time to erect roadblocks at the County line. Nobody enters or leaves without permission.

#699172 --- 11/30/07 12:39 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
esmeralda Offline

Loc: fingerlakes
Thats Schuyler county for you...there is a handful of people in Watkins Glen that run the show and it has been this way for the last 20 - 25 years that I have been working in the area...they don't want change...no gravel mine, didn't want WalMart, just a bunch of villagers and politicians who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, preferably with grants and tax payers money...and don't expect them to be accountable for anything!!!

#699183 --- 11/30/07 12:58 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: esmeralda]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: esmeralda
Thats Schuyler county for you...there is a handful of people in Watkins Glen that run the show and it has been this way for the last 20 - 25 years

Well, it ain't that way any more! WE are running things now. Tell those bums to shove over.

#699188 --- 11/30/07 01:11 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
esmeralda Offline

Good Luck moving them over!!!!!!!! Their Christmas Parade is next week, Friday the 7th at 6:30pm...not bad for a small town.

#699503 --- 11/30/07 09:39 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: esmeralda]
AbuDhabi Offline

Good Luck moving them over!!!!!!!! Their Christmas Parade is next week, Friday the 7th at 6:30pm...not bad for a small town.

We'll send Al Kida.

#699556 --- 11/30/07 10:28 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I've almost got the Ford Pinto ready for him. It's now a multi-fuel vehicle. It's got the original exploding gas tank, plus a whole bunch of propane tanks, in the trunk and on the seats. NYS is not going to give him a driver's license after all, but he won't really need it for such a short mission.

Edited by VM Smith (11/30/07 10:30 PM)

#699671 --- 12/01/07 08:47 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I've almost got the Ford Pinto ready for him. It's now a multi-fuel vehicle. It's got the original exploding gas tank, plus a whole bunch of propane tanks, in the trunk and on the seats. NYS is not going to give him a driver's license after all, but he won't really need it for such a short mission.

They should!!!

I am no longer an illegal alien!!!

I am simply an "undocumented immigrant"!!!

If I broke into store and took things I would be "undocumented customer"!!!

#699672 --- 12/01/07 08:48 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

We'll send Al Kida.

I can not participate in such pagan rituals of the great Satin!!!

#699761 --- 12/01/07 11:54 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: Al Kida]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Without the proper documents, you're illegal. You must learn our country's laws, even if you'll only have an intact body until the Christmas parade. Meanwhile, 40 lashes for not showing proper respect to the US legal code!

#699771 --- 12/01/07 12:23 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
esmeralda Offline

Save the Pinto from destruction!!!!! They are cute...very rare...and should be on the endangered species list!!!!! And we have won numerous dust collectors and all that stuff drag racing them...amazing how fast they can go...and illegal...ill eagle...isn't that a sick bird?

#699789 --- 12/01/07 01:30 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: esmeralda]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

They try to save the darn things, but every time they put one in a museum, it blows up! It's as if Stephen King had been on that design team.

"and illegal...ill eagle...isn't that a sick bird?"

Correct; "ill eagle" is a sick bird; it's now our national bird.

#699805 --- 12/01/07 01:58 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
Al Kida Offline

Without the proper documents, you're illegal.

Excuse please!!!

You must not have heard!!!

Originally Posted By: MKB
AK

If you prefer the hyberbolic "alien" and "illegal," that is your choice, but if you enter the legal or legislative arena, undocumented is what they are.

MKB

#699812 --- 12/01/07 02:07 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: Al Kida]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I believe that to be mere sophistry; it's illegal to be undocumented; that's the law.

#700546 --- 12/03/07 12:24 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

I believe that to be mere sophistry; it's illegal to be undocumented; that's the law.

The law in Schuyler County is exactly what we say it is, neither more nor less. I say NO ILLEGALS / INDOCUMENTADOS / MOJADOS, nothing. They make too much noise coming and going in their trucks.

#700550 --- 12/03/07 12:35 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I'd been thinking of building a wall around it, but then I remembered that some of the fruit pickers bring their own ladders. If we defoliate the place with AO, the illegals would be easier to spot. Or we could offer a combination big game license,with a tag for illegals.

#700660 --- 12/03/07 07:40 AM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Or we could offer a combination big game license,with a tag for illegals.

Some would call that "cruel and unusual". But if we made the season 365 days per year, it wouldn't be unusual at all.

Now I'm not saying that's a good idea, but it is worth thinking about.

#700912 --- 12/03/07 01:39 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Maybe my idea was as a little extreme; some might call it retrogradely assholian, and perhaps even uncivilized and barbaric. I was just thinking that it would offer an outlet for some of the more passionate ridge-runners, and might cut down on wife-beating, ax-murdering, crank abuse, etc..

Okay, how about a catch and release bounty program, where they are required to release them at the INS shop, either for cash or for, perhaps, new shag carpet for the trailer? One of those inflatable swimming pools?

The reward possibilities are endless, but whatever, all those low MPG pickups would actually be being used for a patriotic purpose, instead of driving around with an empty bed, or containing the occasional jacked deer.

Edited by VM Smith (12/03/07 01:41 PM)

#700923 --- 12/03/07 01:57 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: VM Smith]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
Okay, how about a catch and release bounty program
I think they have a traing program for this. I beleive it's called the Border Patrol.

#701324 --- 12/03/07 09:47 PM Re: Schuyler Legal System Gets Failing Grade [Re: esmeralda]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Save the Pinto from destruction!!!!! They are cute...very rare...and should be on the endangered species list!!!!! And we have won numerous dust collectors and all that stuff drag racing them...amazing how fast they can go...and illegal...ill eagle...isn't that a sick bird?

Especially if it's brown and a 76... ;\)

Edited by bigbeast (12/03/07 09:47 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >