FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67100 --- 11/07/04 08:40 AM FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
If you haven't looked into this you should. It really tests your prognostication skills. I made my picks this morning and invite all you die-hard baseballers who, like me right now, are going through some withdrawl pains with the season's ignominious end.

Let's see who among us is the best at picking free agents. Winner among our own little family will win...as usual
BRAGGING RIGHTS on the Sports Forum.

Selections can be made until NOVEMBER 16TH!!!

Advise if you're in and we can all post our picks for comparison.

Good luck!

FingerLakes1.com
#67101 --- 11/07/04 10:03 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
beltran--------ny yankees
beltre---------atlanta
clemens--------texas or he retires again
del gado-------houston
drew-----------pittsburgh
garciaparra----texas
glaus----------white sox (he'll be a DH for rest of career)
kent-----------kansas city
martinez-------boston (he stays)
ordonez--------colorado (40 HR's in that thin air)
perez----------yankees
pavano---------arizona
radke----------philly
renteria-------boston
varitek--------anaheim

that's my prognastications.....biggie

#67102 --- 11/07/04 06:18 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Is this also your order of confidence in each pick? That is, you assign 15 (the highest confidence level) to the Beltran pick, 14 to the Beltre pick, 13 to Clemens on down to your least confident pick (Varitek) which, if it happens, gets you only one total point? Correct?

Now, not to muddy things up and BBC I think it's great that you are "in" BUT, one should not post until the end date. My picks, which I CAN alter on the mlb website, are the same as yours in only 3 instances. Having said that, I may consider changing mine after looking at yours. I may change a LOT of mine after looking at yours.

Suggetsion players is to make your picks and don't post until the mlb closing date so you are locked in to your picks.

We can however discuss things here, like Varitek. I have him staying in Boston because he's the "heart and soul" of that team (as long as the money's right). I was tempted to pick Anaheim too. Why do you think he leaves? Glaus to CWS? They have Frank Thomas!

How about payrolls. Who can afford what. I found a website that lists all the payrolls for 2004. Baltimore's Peter Angelos payroll last year...what do you think it was with Tejada and Palmeiro? I was surprised. How about where a player was born? Got Pettitte and Clemens to the Astros last year. There are some guys who I picked based on where they were born.

Lots of info on line that can color your picks.

I played this last year and was all set to win the grand prize of 2 tickets to opening day, I mean i KNEW all my picks were solid. I think I got 4 right. Sheeesh!

This thing can be a lot of fun and amke for some great dialogue among us all.

Who else is in? Tino, Petey, Highlander, CarlSpackler, Gio, Coach64, Don, RoadGuy, Seymore Lusifer, Tony Kubek, Brooklyn, anyone, anyone, Bueller...let's hear from you.

A special invitation for participation goes out to our desert bound amigo DEACON . Would love to hear your take on this thing.

#67103 --- 11/08/04 10:21 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

Loc: here
I made my picks last week. It is always tough. I only got 4 or 5 right last year.

#67104 --- 11/08/04 02:37 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I have only 2 picks for teams that are the same as BBC's and I just started looking harder at my Pedro pick and confidence based on the Red Sox making him a 2 year $14 mil per offer. I have 13 picks that are different than BBC's and I think I've nailed them all!!! Love how the thinking works on this thing.

BBC, for your Clemens pick, do you mean Houston again or Texas as in the Rangers?

I'll share one on my picks right now. Varitek stays in Boston and I'm REAL confident of that. I have a few others that I'm more confident of though...but not too much more confident.

Roadie, care to share one?

#67105 --- 11/09/04 12:11 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

I agree on Varitek, he's stays in Boston. Radke...a Met?

#67106 --- 11/09/04 04:17 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Radke is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and has spent his entire 10 year career with the Twins, successfully (127-118). Rarely misses a start. I don't see him wandering too far from the frozen northland. Plus, who in their right mind would want to play for the Mets. They are like the LA Clippers of MLB, you go there and become a loser.

Let's go out there baseballers. Start contributing!

#67107 --- 11/09/04 05:45 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I just responded to a post and before it could come up the post was deleted. That's a first for me. Weird!

Who posted? It was about Kevin Brown. Good fodder though.

#67108 --- 11/09/04 05:48 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

I posted Brown to Atlanta, but then realized he may not fit the free agency profile, or does he ?

#67109 --- 11/09/04 05:51 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

That's OK high. The mlb.com thing lists only 15 of the gozillion (311 actually) free agents. But I don't think Brown is a free agent. Hang on, let's look at the list. Nope, not there. Do you have an inkling that he might get traded?

#67110 --- 11/10/04 10:39 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

Quote:

Radke is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and has spent his entire 10 year career with the Twins, successfully (127-118). Rarely misses a start. I don't see him wandering too far from the frozen northland. Plus, who in their right mind would want to play for the Mets. They are like the LA Clippers of MLB, you go there and become a loser.

Let's go out there baseballers. Start contributing!

I hear you Eddie. I would surprised to see Radke leave the Twins let alone that area.

Take this is into consideration. His age, the salary he will want. The Mets always seem to sign guys like this. You know the "second level" free agents.

The other possibility for him would be the Cards.

#67111 --- 11/11/04 04:05 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Something on ESPN maybe last night about players that teams "feel" they are stuck with. Giambi and kevin Brown showed up. YIKES! Giambi! Next year could be a tell tale year for Giambi. With all the BALCO steroids rumors and his body giving out last year, one wonders what his physical condition is going into next season. Back room rumors can get ugly.

I'll share another pick in hopes of luring some more dialogue. A mid range (in confidence) pick.

Carlos Delgado to Baltimore. But wait, don't they have Rafael Palmeiro already? Yes they do but I see Carlos drawing checks from Peter Angelos next year.

Anyone care to tell me I'm full of it?

#67112 --- 11/11/04 07:03 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I think the Orioles' priority should be on acquiring starting pitching, hmmmmm ~ as someone else's should be !

#67113 --- 11/14/04 10:53 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

They got Ponson back as a free agent last year and he mentally retired. I'm not sure I'd go to Baltimore if I'm a front line pitcher. I think there's a problem there with Ray Miller and the Lee Mazilli bad breath about "losing the locker room" last year.

Tino, did you make picks on mlb.com? Have you penciled down picks so we can all post after the deadline? I hope you have at least done one. It will make for good banter as the long cold baseball-less winter sets in.

#67114 --- 11/14/04 06:07 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Come on, gang, let's do this thang ! Pencil in your picks!
Mine will be done tomorrow, needed some time to seriously think it out! Prognosticator is my name, winning is my game

#67115 --- 11/15/04 09:22 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I think I wrestled most with Maglio Ordonez. I think I had him on 4 different teams at different times. Troy Glaus was a tough one too. My Nomah changed a couple of times too but the one I had the most trouble with was Jeff Kent. Could not think of anywhere he would fit. Finally had him going as my least confident pick to the New York...METS! (Had him with the Yankees for a while.) Hey, why not. They like to waste money on players who have peaked, the Mets that is...not the Yankees.

So tomorrow all the picks on the mlb.com site become official and we get to post ours here. I'll be very interested in seeing who's picked who to go where and why. The why part should be especially interesting.

#67116 --- 11/16/04 06:31 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

LAST CHANCE! ENTRIES MUST BE MADE ON mlb.com BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, 16TH

#67117 --- 11/16/04 08:48 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

i readjusted my picks.....we'll see how it goes

#67118 --- 11/16/04 05:06 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

You adjusted your picks??? I adjusted mine based on what YOU posted. Holy crap!

#67119 --- 11/16/04 08:00 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Help!! I can't find a team for Drew or Perez !!!! Three hours to go !!!

#67120 --- 11/16/04 08:08 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Vinny Castilla just signed with Montreal. Colorado needs a third baseman. I know who I picked and I think I have a winner with someone going somewhere based on this signing.

Drew and Perez? I know. I made picks for these two at a level 2 and level 6 for confidence. Who the heck knows where their going to end up.

I'm dickering with all my picks right now too.

website for 2004 team payrolls:

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

Who's got money and who doesn't!

Rangers have room but what do they need? Hmmmm, time to look at my picks again. Rangers, hmmm.

#67121 --- 11/16/04 08:36 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

Quote:

Vinny Castilla just signed with Montreal. Colorado needs a third baseman. I know who I picked and I think I have a winner with someone going somewhere based on this signing.

Troy Glaus goin' somewhere ??

#67122 --- 11/16/04 09:56 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Not sayin'

Ah crap, hard to hide it when he's the only third baseman among the 15. Yes I see him switching leagues but hey what do I know?

#67123 --- 11/16/04 10:01 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Where's Nomar going, Chicago or Anaheim?

#67124 --- 11/17/04 06:13 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

BBC you were the first to post your choices (which I believe you've tweaked some) so why don't you start off the listing of your final free agent picks. The rest of us can follow.

#67125 --- 11/17/04 07:27 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

beltran........NYY.......13
beltre.........Anaheim...10
Clemens........Houston......14....but i believe he'll retire again
delgado........cleveland....4
drew...........pittsburgh...12
garciaparra....dodgers......7
glaus..........oakland......2....i think chavez is out,
kent...........arizona......8
martinez.......texas.......1....i see the yankmes talked to him yesterday
ordonez........colorado.....6
pavano.........boston.......5....could be in need of pitchers
perez..........NYY..........9....he's a horse, they can ride him hard
radke..........Mil..........11
renteria.......ariz.........3...this was a tough one,i thought boston for a long time
varitek........boston.......15....he's not going no where

thats all folks...BBC

Edited by big bellied chef (11/17/04 08:32 PM)

#67126 --- 11/17/04 08:19 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

The numbering system is that you give 15 to your most confident pick, 14 to the next and 1 to the pick you have least confidence in. Are the numbers you've assigned reversed? Do you feel most confident that Pedro Martinez will sign with the Texas Rangers? Do you feel least confident that varitek will stay? The numbers you've assigned indicate this yet your words say the opposite.

Please to clarify.

#67127 --- 11/17/04 08:33 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

edited my numbers were reversed

#67128 --- 11/18/04 05:26 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Just FYI, I currently have bragging rights on the Sports Forum based on my postseason awards predictions of CY Young winners and MVP winners, 4 for 4. Ahem, having said that, here are my picks in my unending quest to maintain

MY BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

In order by confidence:

CARLOS BELTRAN......YANKEES...15 (George signs the jewel)
ADRIAN BELTRE.........DODGERS..14 (LA buys the one season)
JASON VARITEK.........RED SOX....13 (he stays)
BRAD RADKE.............TWINS........12 (he says)
TROY GLAUS..............ROCKIES....11 (bombs away!)
CARL PAVANO...........RED SOX.....10 (Ct. boy comes home)
EDGAR RENTERIA......CARDINALS..9 (that GoldGlove carries wt.
PEDRO MARTINEZ......YANKEES.....8 (learned to like Clemens..)
NOMAR......................CUBS...........7 (Ecksein is safe for 1 yr.)
ODALIS PEREZ...........DODGERS....6 (he stays)
MAGGLIO ORDONEZ...TIGERS........5 (5th time I changed him)
ROGER CLEMENS.......ASTROS.......4 (my bet is he retires)
CARLOS DELGADO.....ORIOLES.....3 (Angelos has money)
J.D. DREW..................BRAVES.......2 (who knows?)
JEFF KENT..................METS...........1 (who cares?)

My picks are sooo different from BBC's. Time to post all you others. Write 'em up and let's start the dialogue.

#67129 --- 11/18/04 06:33 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Beltron ....Yanks.. 15 (wait, wait, wait)
Garciapara .Anaheim..14
Martinez....Boston..13 (playing games right now)
Radke...Twins ..12 (Stayin' home)
Varitek...Boston...11 (got Schill backin' him)
DelGado...Mariners..10
Beltre...Dodgers....9
Clemens..Houston....8 (one more year pitching with Andy)
Ordonez..Baltimore..7
Kent.....Detroit....6
Renteria.Cubs.......5
Pavano...Arizona....4
Glaus....Montreal...3
Perez....Dodgers....2
Drew.....Mets.......1

#67130 --- 11/18/04 06:56 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Tino, interesting pix. Man I wrestled with Nomar going to Anaheim. What convinced me to leave him in Chicago was something I read where he "needs" to prove he's healthy for one year before he goes back home to SoCal. Do you know or did you read something that makes you put him out west with a 14! Where's Mia from???

Beltran too huh? Whatever George wants George gets plus the Lofton experiment was a bust and Bernie's on board with the move and I think you have the team's hispanic players probably talking to him like A-Rod, Jorge, Vasquez (who will stay a Yankee).

What else you have, Pedro playing games. I had him on both the Yankees and the Sox. Coin toss for me. You may be right.

Pavano to Arizona...WOW! Replacing Randy Johnson?
No way Glaus goes to Montreal. They just spent their money last week. Bad pick in my book.

Beltre only a 9? He's a lock going back to LA IMO. You picked Ordonez to Baltimore. Almost interchangeable with my Delgado pick.

BBC your picks are so distant from mine I can't begin to think what your thought process was. I am intrigued by your Garciaparra pick to LA. Thought the Dodgers were sold on the current SS Izturis (sp?). Fill me in! You also have Beltre going cross town? Dodgers will NEVER let that happen. Glaus to Oakland smells good. Nice pick. Chavez out??? Did you read something somewhere? Thats's the first I heard of that. I thought he was their cornerstone, of course outside of the Big 3 on the mound. Drew a 12 to Pittsburgh? WHAT DO YOU KNOW????

Ordonez to Colorado is equivalent to my Glaus to Colorado. They need someone to hit 98 homeruns next year and either one can do it up there in the thin air.

Radke??? As close as Milwaukee is to Minnesota and probably closer to Eau Claire, I don't see the Brewers spending any money this year on front line free agents, although it's an interesting pick. Care to share your thought process? Tino, you?

#67131 --- 11/19/04 12:46 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

A couple things. One.. Kent had a meeting with the Tigers. His agent said they have an offer on the table from the Astros. So who knows.

Not that it matters, but I've been a Bucs fan for 30 years.
As for Drew going to Pittsburgh. Won't happen. Littlefield is too scared or stupid to spend the money. He'll waste it on another Mondesi type player. If they sign a free agent with a bat it will be a first baseman. There outfield will most likely be Bay, Redman and possibly Bobby Hill next season.

There is a rumor of Kendall for Klesko. Of course I don't see that happening. Kendall will go somewhere just who will take is big contract is the question.

#67132 --- 11/19/04 01:00 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

I made these picks a couple weeks ago.

Carlos Beltran Yankees 15
Adrian Beltre Braves 12
Roger Clemens Astros 13
Carlos Delgado Braves 4
J.D. Drew Florida 8
Nomar Garciaparra Cubs 10
Troy Glaus Mariners 1
Jeff Kent Rangers 5
Pedro Martinez Red Sox 9
Magglio Ordonez Rockies 3
Carl Pavano Mets 2
Odalis Perez Rangers 7
Brad Radke Mets 6
Edgar Renteria Cardinals 11
Jason Varitek Red Sox 14

#67133 --- 11/19/04 09:00 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Up late last night roadie?

4 have posted so far. Here's a list of common picks by teams and the confidence levels chosen & total confidence pts.:

Beltran to the Yankees - 15,15,13,15 = 58
Varitek stays with Boston - 13,11,15,14 = 53
Clemens stays with Astros - 4,8,14,13 = 39

THAT'S IT!

Other high confidence picks:

Beltre (3 teams) = 45
Radke (3 teams) = 41
Nomar (3 teams) = 38
Pedro ( 3 teams) - 31

You high confidence Clemens pickers need him to not retire. My low pick was based on him retiring.

Who has the most variation with teams and confidence level?

Drew - 4 teams, 1 to 12 confidence levels
Glaus - 4 teams, 1 to 11
Delgado - 4 teams, 3 to 10
Kent - 4 teams, 1 to 8

Looks like J. D. Drew is the biggest "mystery man" out there with 2 of us really curoius about BBC's picking him to Pittsburgh.

Any of you others out there who haven't posted, hey until one of these guys signs there's time for your picks plus you now have the "advantage" of the insight from 4 of us. hahaha Go ahead, make your picks based on what ours are. You're crazy if you do.

#67134 --- 11/19/04 05:45 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Have had another set of picks submitted to me by Mr. S. . Here they are:

Beltran...Cubs...15
Drew...Atlanta...14
Pedro...Boston...13
Renteria...Mets...12
Varitek...Red Sox...11
Beltre...Mets...10
Od.Perez...Astros...9
Ordonez...Wh.Sox...8
Nomar...Mets...7
Glaus...Orioles...6
Delgado...Orioles...5
Pavano...Cards...4
Radke...Twins...3
Kent...SF...2
Clemens...Astros...1

I want some of whatever it is that Mr. S is "taking".

#67135 --- 11/19/04 06:07 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

I DON'T see Clemens retiring again, not the year after he won the NL CY Young .

#67136 --- 11/19/04 09:44 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Yes, Clemens, hard to say though. I too would be surprised if he retires (again).

Have had another submittal of picks. This one is from, well let's say it's Mr. D. Here goes:

Varitek...Boston...15
Beltran...Yankees...14
Clemens...Astros...13
Glaus...Boston...12
Pavano...Arizona...11
Radke...Texas...10
Renteria...Cards...9
Nomar...Cubbies...8
Od.Perez...Marlins...7
Pedro...Yanquis...6
Kent...Rockies...5
Delgado...Rays...4
Ordonez...Giants...3
Drew...Brewers...2
Beltre...Mariners...1

Keep 'em coming!

#67137 --- 11/22/04 06:43 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Quote:

Any of you others out there who haven't posted, hey until one of these guys signs there's time for your picks

Sheez, you people may have until December to make your picks the way things seem to be (not) shakin'. I hear Pavano definitely won't sign anywhere until then !

Hook up, sportsfans !!

#67138 --- 11/27/04 01:53 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY USA
Here are my picks:

Carlos Beltran-Yankees-15.
Adrian Beltre-Dodgers-8.
Roger Clemens-Astros-14.
Carlos Delgado-Orioles-6.
J.D. Drew-Braves-5.
Nomar Garciaparra-Cubs-9.
Troy Glaus-Angels-7.
Jeff Kent-Cubs-1.
Pedro Martinez-Yankees-12.
Magglio Ordonez-Red Sox-4.
Carl Pavano-Red Sox-11.
Brad Radke-Twins-2.
Odalis Perez-Pirates-3.
Edgar Renteria-Cardnials-10.
Jason Varitek-Red Sox-13.

#67139 --- 11/27/04 03:48 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Atta boy Petey. Haven't looked too closely at the latest posts but will summarize.

Like Tino said, still time to get into this. Dec 6th is a big day for signings I think. Something to do with not having to give up a draft pick??? I dunno, something like that.

#67140 --- 11/29/04 12:30 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I've "coerced" another participant. Person does not have a screen name so let's just call him Mr. J. Here's his pix:

Beltran...NYY...10
Beltre...WASH...12
Clemens...HOU...15
Delgado...STL...4
Drew...ATL...13
Nomar...STL...11
Glaus...SF...3
Kent...CHC...1
Pedro...Metsies...14
Ordonyez...SEA...5
Pavano...NYY...8
Perez...TEX...2
Radke...BOS...9
Renteria...MIN...6
Varitek...BOS...7

Mr. J freely admits he has no real clue. Watch him win!

So that makes 8 participants. I think there is only one common pick among all 8. Varitek stays in Boston and rather confidently for all.

Watch him bust everyone's "bracket".

Still time and room for more to add picks.

#67141 --- 12/01/04 05:12 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Is Mr. J, who admittedly knows nothing about this free agency frenzy, going to be the only one to get the Pedro pick CORRECT !

#67142 --- 12/01/04 07:18 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I sincerely doubt it. I think Pedro is just toying with the Yankees. The only thing worse for Steinbrenner than losing a player he wants to the Red Sox is losing him to the Mets. This won't happen. Pedro will be in pinstripes next year.

#67143 --- 12/02/04 07:10 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Rather than start a new thread I figured this was a good place to continue overall discussion of the offseason activities. I'm prompted by the unbelievable request the D-Backs have made of the Yankees in order to obtain Randy Johnson. Have to admit they certainly seem to have adopted the U.S. Air Force slogan, "Aim High". Hope the Yankees don' take the bait. Heck I'm not sure I'd want to see another 40+ yar old pitcher on their roster no matter how much success he's had late in his career. Age is a crapshoot in baseball (obviously with a few notable exceptions) but giving up Javier Vasquez under any conditions is a mistake I feel.

#67144 --- 12/08/04 07:41 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Looks like we have our first two signings of the year from the FA Fenzy list. Nomar and Radke stay respectively with the Cubbies and the Twinkies. Also, many of the 15 have been offered salary arbitration which often leads to resigning with your previous team.

Based on the two signings, the leaderboard is:

EDDIE - 19
TINO - 12
PETEY - 11
ROADGUY - 10
MR. D - 8
MR. S - 2
MR. J - 0
BBC - 0

#67145 --- 12/09/04 07:49 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Read on the net where the Yankees "would be" interested in Carlos Delgado. I guess that kind of speculation supports the Giambi non-status for 2005.

#67146 --- 12/09/04 10:35 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

Looks like Deacon's Diamondbacks will sign Troy Glaus today. Bye, bye, Richie !

#67147 --- 12/09/04 04:59 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Yup, and none of us got it. 8 of us all picked different teams for Glaus and he went to none of them, and I had him as an 11 in confidence. Worse still, Mr. D had him as a 12 going to the Red Sox. Sheesh!

Also read where Jeff Kent signed with the Dodgers. Another goose egg for us all with big bellied chef the biggest loser having Kent as an 8 going to Arizona. Right church, wrong pew BBC!

#67148 --- 12/11/04 06:56 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Jiminy Pete! I spend the day Christmas shopping with the wife and come back to hear my "adopted" son (the Red Sox fan) tell me that the Red Sox signed David Wells. Man he must really hate George Steinbrenner, rubbing salt in the wound like that. PLUS I'd read that Wells would have been interested in coming back to the Yankees but they really didn't pursue him???? Cashman had said "He walked away from us last year. We understand it's a business decision. he has to do what's best for himself and his family" blah, blah, blah. If Wells wanted to stay in New York last year he could have, IMO. This BS about "wanting to finish his career where he grew up", it was a smokescreen to cover his displeasure with getting dissed by the Yankees and leaving the door open to possibly coming back this year after the smoke cleared. So they get the chance to get him back where he belongs this year and they BLOW IT! Wells bled Yankee blue and the front office wouldn't sign this BIG GAME pitcher??? BULL DEFECANT!

Now I hear that Carl Pavano has told his agent to work out a deal with the Yankees. If that happens I see Pedro going back to the Red Sox. Pedro didn't mind playing second fiddle to Curt Schilling but I don't think he'd want to be viewed as the #3 or 4 man in a rotation behind Mussina, Pavano and Brown. So if Pavano goes to New York and Pedro stays in Beantown my bracket is busted. I lose 18 total confidence points. As bad as that is for me it's worse for you Petey. You lose 21 confidence points. (We need Pedro in pinstripes and Pavano eating chowder.) I know Mr. J is rooting for the Carl in New York scenario. He alone has Pavano going to New York and as an 8 in confidence. Tino and Mr. S would like the other shoe to fall, Pedro staying north. You guys both have Pedro as a 13 returning to Boston along with roadguy as a 9. I'm sinking fast here.

But the MAIN reason I posted was to bitch about Cashman. What the fork is he doing. Big WOOOO, Jaret Wright? Who cares? He's probably so effin focused on Randy Johnson (and probably under orders from that baseball genius George Steinbrenner) that he's letting the whole thing slip away. I got a bad feeling about what's been going on so far. I look at Boston and Anaheim really making nice moves and there's my team chasing a 41 year old ego(Johnson, where he'll join the other biggest ego in the game, Kevin Brown), a former burnout who had one good season (Wright) and talking about settling for Eric Milton, who came up through their system. Wow Milton and Vasquez, the 2 biggest go-fer ball pitchers in the bigs last year. Let Cairo go and pick up Mr. Strikeout, Tony Womack??? Gimme a break. Starting to remind me of the early 70's when anyone who wanted could play for the Yankees. There's a problem in the front office. I think it's panic and misdirected "knowledge".

I got a bad feelin' man!

#67149 --- 12/12/04 09:43 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

Who saw Carl Pavano really going to the Yankees? I guess with Boston signing David Wells it might have made it either easier or harder to try and sign Pavano. But I didn't actually realize that it would happen. Now if the Yankees could only steal Pedro from Boston.

#67150 --- 12/12/04 03:19 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Doubt that it will happen for reasns mentioned earlier...Pedro's ego. "Me no quiero esta el startero numero tres or quatro. Quiero numero dos o nada."

#67151 --- 12/13/04 02:43 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Today's Boston Herald is claiming they have learned Pedro will accept a four-year offer from the New York Mets.

4 years 56 million, wow ......

#67152 --- 12/13/04 05:54 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
exyankeeguy Offline

Loc: Gulf of Mexico
Hell, I would play for the worst team in baseball for that price lol. It seems that the Yankees have gone astray again with their farm system. Wasnt Jeter, Williams, Posada and Soriano(i think) products of their farm system? I love the Yankees, but I really think they started to screw up when they got Giambi. No complaints about Matsui, hell, he wasnt in anyones farm. Just crossing my fingers for Johnson and Beltran..then be patient for the farm players to develop. Thats my Christmas wish lol

#67153 --- 12/14/04 09:31 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Outta town on a remote box. Mr. J got his #15 and #14 picks right, Roger and Pedro. I guess it's true, ignorance is bliss.

#67154 --- 12/15/04 11:51 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

No opening day tickets for us, Eddie !

Edgar Renteria has chosen to leave the Cardinals to join the Red Sox, accepting a four-year deal for close to $40 million.

It's all about the money !!!!

#67155 --- 12/16/04 08:11 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Quote:

It seems that the Yankees have gone astray again with their farm system. Wasn't Jeter, Williams, Posada and Soriano(i think) products of their farm system? I love the Yankees, but I really think they started to screw up when they got Giambi. No complaints about Matsui, hell, he wasnt in anyones farm. Just crossing my fingers for Johnson and Beltran..then be patient for the farm players to develop. Thats my Christmas wish lol

Good take EYG. The Yankees really have nothing to offer from their farm system after years of declining to include Soriano in any trades and finally bringing him up. Same with Nick Johnson. Boy I bet they wish they had Nick Johnson back now. They let lefty pitcher Brandon Claussen go to Cincy in a trade last or two years ago to get who, Gabe White??? They are not patient when it comes to their farm system anymore. That's one of the things that's holding up the Randy Johnson trade...no worthwhile minor leaguers for Arizona to build upon.

And yes Tino, it's looking bleak. The mlb.com leader for Free Agent Frenzy has 52 points already.

Assuming the Pedro signing materializes, through 6 signings here are the standings among the 8 of us:

Mr. J - 29
roadguy - 23
Eddie - 23
Mr. D - 21
Tino - 20
Petey - 16
bigbelliedchef - 14
Mr. S - 3

Lots of upward movement via the Clemens "signing". I didn't see that announcement. Did he accept arbitration AND announce that he would come back or is the "signing" simply based on his accepting arbitration? He can still retire I think irrespective of accepting arbitration. Confusing.

If Renteria does sign with Boston it affects none of us. Man that Boston payroll is starting to balloon. Same with the Mets. Lots of money being thrown around.

#67156 --- 12/16/04 07:16 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

On espn.com's Free Agent Tracker I noticed that Tino Martinez is a free agent right now. Maybe George could have enough common sense in bringing Tino back to play first base with the whole Giambi fiasco going on right now. I also read on espn.com that the Diamondbacks and Yankees are talking again about Randy Johnson. This time it is, from what I read, Javier Vasquez would be sent to Los Angeles for Randy Johnson. Another part of this supposed deal would be Shawn Green being traded from the Dodgers to the Diamondbacks.

#67157 --- 12/16/04 07:36 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Tino Martinez would certainly be a sentimental favorite at first base but I don't think it will happen, unfortunately. Yeah it does look like the Yankees are intent on making the Randy Johnson thing happen. I still think they are giving up on Vasquez too soon unless there is an Ed Whitson/Butch Wynegar "mental" thing (about adjusting to the Big Apple) going on.

One more FA Frenzy signing to report. Adrian Beltre to the Mariners. One person picked him. Mr. D at (only) a 1 but a lot of losers in that signing among us most notably EDDIE at a 14 , roadguy and Mr. J at 12s and a 10 spot loss for BBC and Mr. S.

Mr. D solidifies his overall #4 position in our game with 22 points.

Still some big fish out there, most notably Beltran and Varitek, high confidence levels for all of us across the board. Still anybody's game, even you Mr. S.

#67158 --- 12/16/04 10:10 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

It was now just reported on ESPN that the deal that I just talked about earlier about Randy Johnson has just happened. But it is in its early stage right now. Everyone has agree in principle on this trade. If the trade actually goes through it seems that the Yankees could very well have the best starting rotation at the beginning of next year.

#67159 --- 12/17/04 12:16 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

Forget about what I just said about the 3 teams supposedly in the whole Randy Johnson deal. There are a lot of different things that might not let this deal happen.

#67160 --- 12/18/04 05:24 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Another signing official, That makes 8. Renteria to the Red Sox. No one had this pick. Scores remain unchanged since the Beltre signing by Seattle. Latest hot rumor is Pavano to the Yankees. If so Mr. J gets an 8 spot and moves farther into the lead. Claims he knew nothing, huh?

#67161 --- 12/23/04 03:18 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Another signing off the list. Carl Pavano to the Yankees. The guy from Connecticut who always dreamed of pitching for the Red Sox, signs with the Evil Empire.

No one got this pick right...

except the guy who admitted he knew nothing about the picks. Mr. J. with an 8 spot ups his total to 37 FREAKING POINTS!!! and a 14 point lead over second place. Mother puss bucket!

Standings then through 9 signings:

Mr. J. - 37 points
Eddie & roadguy - 23
Mr. D. - 22
Tino - 20
Petey - 16
bigbelliedchef - 14
Mr. S. - 3

4 people have made 3 correct choices:
Mr. J., Eddie, Petey & Mr. D. obviously at various confidence levels.

6 to go and Mr. J. will be hard to catch. We all gain on him with a Varitek to Boston signing and all (except Mr. S.) also gain with a Beltran signing with the Yankees but someone will have to get real lucky with their picks to pass Mr. J.

Oh, the national leader has 68 points! I wonder who his picks were. I hope they show them at the end.

#67162 --- 12/26/04 08:44 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Varitek to Boston, Drew to L.A. 11 signings now. Standings thru 11:

Mr. J - 44 (15,14,8,7)
Petey - 38 (14,13,9,2)
Mr. D - 37 (15,13,8,1)
roadguy - 37 (14,13,10)
Eddie - 36 (13,12,7,4)
Tino - 31 (12,11,8)
bigbelliedchef - 29 (15,14)
Mr. S - 14 (11,2,1)

Beltran, Delgado, Perez and Ordonyez left. Not a bad team right there!

Overall leader has 73.

#67163 --- 12/31/04 09:52 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Sede benvenuta, Tino!

Happy New Year, Sportsfans !!!!

#67164 --- 01/04/05 02:31 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Yankees now NOT going after Beltran??? A FOX Sports article bantered this about. Maybe the $200 mil per year level is George's tolerance zone. Can the bombers win without him? Absolutely! Would he be worth the investment? Absolutely! This guy reminds me of Dave Winfield. He can do it ALL. Do the Yankees let him get away? Doubt it. I still see him in pinstripes next year but i have to give that Omar Minaya guy across the river credit. He knows how to stroke it.

#67165 --- 01/06/05 06:37 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Another apparent signing. Odalis Perez staying with Dodgers (thank you Shawn Green). Two picked him to stay, Eddie at a 6 and Tino at a 2.

Standings through 12 signings:

Mr. J. - 44
Eddie - 42
Petey - 38
Mr. D & roadguy - 37
Tino - 33
bigbelliedchef - 29
Mr. S - 14

A 3 spot jump for Eddie with the Odalis Perez signing. Like I said, thanks Shawn Green for not waiving your no-trade clause and sticking with the Dodgers thereby forcing them to sign Perez (per mlb.com story). Amazing how one thing begets another in the free Agent market...and how things can happen so quickly.

Talk I hear is that if the Mets get Beltran, Delgado will probably end up in Baltimore. Hope so. If that happens we all wash out on Beltran and get a log jam at the top with Eddie at 45 and Petey tying Mr.J at 44 and just Magglio Ordonez left out there. I'd be curious to see what happens to the Clemens points if he decides not to play next year. Would the points come off the board? Don't know.

Getting interesting as we come down to the wire.

#67166 --- 01/09/05 10:43 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Now hear/see talk of the Tigers being interested in Magglio Ordonez.

EXCELLENT, I (alone) picked Magglio to go to Detroit as a 5. Do it Magglio, do it! Worked for Pudge, it can work for you!

Also, no Beltran to Houston. Now who's in the driver's seat? No matter what the Mets say or do nothing happens til the Yankees finish the physical and get the Johnson signing formalized. Then the bidding really starts. Curiosly though, I heard something on the radio going over Beltran's career and it was not very flattering. The report made it sound like he was a "flash in the pan" at the end of the season last year. Maybe he's not as good as everyone thinks but it sure helps when you've got Scott Boras as your agent and he knows how to market his product.

I still see him in pinstripes next year.

#67167 --- 01/10/05 08:53 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

Looks like the deal is set for Beltran and the Mets.

The guy should have stayed in Houston. He has a better chance there to win a WS than with the Mets.

#67168 --- 01/10/05 05:38 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Agree, the Mets are to baseball like the L A Clippers are to basketball. Doesn't matter who's on the team, they won't win.

The Beltran signing changes none of our totals. No one picked him to go to the Metsies. Leader had 76 going into the Beltran signing. Wonder if the lead total will change. I doubt it.

#67169 --- 01/22/05 09:34 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Quote:

I'd be curious to see what happens to the Clemens points if he decides not to play next year. Would the points come off the board? Don't know.

Moot point. $18 mil for Clemens next season. Saw a breakdown on ESPN this morning. If Clemens throws the same number of pitches this seson as he threw last season, at $18 mil what do you think that equals PER PITCH? Per pitch mind you. How much? Let's see the guesses.

#67170 --- 01/23/05 01:06 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Hello? It's still baseball season! It's ALWAYS baseball season. Now let's have some guesses dammit!!! I don't post for my health and I refuse to be ignored (as Glenn Close said to Michael Douglas).

#67171 --- 01/23/05 02:08 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Rounded off to the nearest penny: $ 5246.28 per pitch ?

#67172 --- 01/25/05 07:54 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

DING! DING! DING!

Give that man a fatty. $5K PER PITCH!!! Talk about operating at a whoooole different plane than the rest of "us". This is embarrassing, as a consumer...and I support baseball??? My blinders just got much bigger.

Hearing that Delgado is going to Florida. Florida's payroll last year at $42,143,042 was #25 out of 30 teams. With the Delgado signing bringing the total to 14 signings of the "elite" 15, I was just struck by "What's Florida doing in this mix?" The lowest 2004 total salary team above the Marlins to sign one of the elite was Minnesota at #19 and all they did was retain a player. Discounting retaining a player, the D'backs at #13 were the lowest '04 payroll team in the swamp at $69,780,750. Those with the money spent it and those without continue to bottom feed. And yet I delude myself into thinking there is purity in this game??? I yearn for a salary cap of sorts in baseball and I don't buy into the Yankees not pursuing Beltran beause of the luxury tax thing. With $315M coming in a year (the break even point for George) he could have had Beltran and absorbed the $215M 2005 payroll.

I'm embarrassed as I type.

#67173 --- 02/06/05 02:52 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Last of the 15 on the free Agent frenzy looks to be signed. Magglio Ordonez (do Spanish computers have a key for a tilde?). Going to the Tigers at $15 mil per for 5 years. Not a bad deal for damaged goods but the contract description seems to protect the Tigers in case his knee goes out. That Scott Boras is worth the money if you're a free agent.

Anybody have Mags going to the Tiggers??? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Someone had him and it makes a BIG difference in the final tally. It decides the winner.

#67174 --- 02/16/05 09:15 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

FINAL TALLY

1) EDDIE - 47
2) MR. J - 44
3) PETEY - 38
4) MR. D & ROADGUY - 37
6) TINO - 33
7) BIG BELLIED CHEF - 29
8) MR. S - 14

NUMBER OF CORRECT SELECTIONS

1) EDDIE - 6
2) TINO, MR.D, MR. J, PETEY, - 4
6) ROADGUY, MR.S - 3
8) BIG BELLIED CHEF - 2

A total of 3 15s and 4 14s were nailed. I still can't believe Mr. J picked Pedro to the Mets and as a 14!!!

The locks of the draw were Varitek and Clemens. Everyone scored with them although Varitek was clearly the higher total points producer, 99 to 82.

Thanks to all who participated. March Madness is next!

#67175 --- 02/17/05 08:09 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

I'm a BIG fan of closure, congratulations, Eddie!

#67176 --- 02/11/06 01:44 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

BUMP, FYI.

That's 2 in a row for the thread author.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >