FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67140 --- 11/29/04 12:30 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
I've "coerced" another participant. Person does not have a screen name so let's just call him Mr. J. Here's his pix:

Beltran...NYY...10
Beltre...WASH...12
Clemens...HOU...15
Delgado...STL...4
Drew...ATL...13
Nomar...STL...11
Glaus...SF...3
Kent...CHC...1
Pedro...Metsies...14
Ordonyez...SEA...5
Pavano...NYY...8
Perez...TEX...2
Radke...BOS...9
Renteria...MIN...6
Varitek...BOS...7

Mr. J freely admits he has no real clue. Watch him win!

So that makes 8 participants. I think there is only one common pick among all 8. Varitek stays in Boston and rather confidently for all.

Watch him bust everyone's "bracket".

Still time and room for more to add picks.

FingerLakes1.com
#67141 --- 12/01/04 05:12 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Is Mr. J, who admittedly knows nothing about this free agency frenzy, going to be the only one to get the Pedro pick CORRECT !

#67142 --- 12/01/04 07:18 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I sincerely doubt it. I think Pedro is just toying with the Yankees. The only thing worse for Steinbrenner than losing a player he wants to the Red Sox is losing him to the Mets. This won't happen. Pedro will be in pinstripes next year.

#67143 --- 12/02/04 07:10 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Rather than start a new thread I figured this was a good place to continue overall discussion of the offseason activities. I'm prompted by the unbelievable request the D-Backs have made of the Yankees in order to obtain Randy Johnson. Have to admit they certainly seem to have adopted the U.S. Air Force slogan, "Aim High". Hope the Yankees don' take the bait. Heck I'm not sure I'd want to see another 40+ yar old pitcher on their roster no matter how much success he's had late in his career. Age is a crapshoot in baseball (obviously with a few notable exceptions) but giving up Javier Vasquez under any conditions is a mistake I feel.

#67144 --- 12/08/04 07:41 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Looks like we have our first two signings of the year from the FA Fenzy list. Nomar and Radke stay respectively with the Cubbies and the Twinkies. Also, many of the 15 have been offered salary arbitration which often leads to resigning with your previous team.

Based on the two signings, the leaderboard is:

EDDIE - 19
TINO - 12
PETEY - 11
ROADGUY - 10
MR. D - 8
MR. S - 2
MR. J - 0
BBC - 0

#67145 --- 12/09/04 07:49 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Read on the net where the Yankees "would be" interested in Carlos Delgado. I guess that kind of speculation supports the Giambi non-status for 2005.

#67146 --- 12/09/04 10:35 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

Looks like Deacon's Diamondbacks will sign Troy Glaus today. Bye, bye, Richie !

#67147 --- 12/09/04 04:59 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Yup, and none of us got it. 8 of us all picked different teams for Glaus and he went to none of them, and I had him as an 11 in confidence. Worse still, Mr. D had him as a 12 going to the Red Sox. Sheesh!

Also read where Jeff Kent signed with the Dodgers. Another goose egg for us all with big bellied chef the biggest loser having Kent as an 8 going to Arizona. Right church, wrong pew BBC!

#67148 --- 12/11/04 06:56 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Jiminy Pete! I spend the day Christmas shopping with the wife and come back to hear my "adopted" son (the Red Sox fan) tell me that the Red Sox signed David Wells. Man he must really hate George Steinbrenner, rubbing salt in the wound like that. PLUS I'd read that Wells would have been interested in coming back to the Yankees but they really didn't pursue him???? Cashman had said "He walked away from us last year. We understand it's a business decision. he has to do what's best for himself and his family" blah, blah, blah. If Wells wanted to stay in New York last year he could have, IMO. This BS about "wanting to finish his career where he grew up", it was a smokescreen to cover his displeasure with getting dissed by the Yankees and leaving the door open to possibly coming back this year after the smoke cleared. So they get the chance to get him back where he belongs this year and they BLOW IT! Wells bled Yankee blue and the front office wouldn't sign this BIG GAME pitcher??? BULL DEFECANT!

Now I hear that Carl Pavano has told his agent to work out a deal with the Yankees. If that happens I see Pedro going back to the Red Sox. Pedro didn't mind playing second fiddle to Curt Schilling but I don't think he'd want to be viewed as the #3 or 4 man in a rotation behind Mussina, Pavano and Brown. So if Pavano goes to New York and Pedro stays in Beantown my bracket is busted. I lose 18 total confidence points. As bad as that is for me it's worse for you Petey. You lose 21 confidence points. (We need Pedro in pinstripes and Pavano eating chowder.) I know Mr. J is rooting for the Carl in New York scenario. He alone has Pavano going to New York and as an 8 in confidence. Tino and Mr. S would like the other shoe to fall, Pedro staying north. You guys both have Pedro as a 13 returning to Boston along with roadguy as a 9. I'm sinking fast here.

But the MAIN reason I posted was to bitch about Cashman. What the fork is he doing. Big WOOOO, Jaret Wright? Who cares? He's probably so effin focused on Randy Johnson (and probably under orders from that baseball genius George Steinbrenner) that he's letting the whole thing slip away. I got a bad feeling about what's been going on so far. I look at Boston and Anaheim really making nice moves and there's my team chasing a 41 year old ego(Johnson, where he'll join the other biggest ego in the game, Kevin Brown), a former burnout who had one good season (Wright) and talking about settling for Eric Milton, who came up through their system. Wow Milton and Vasquez, the 2 biggest go-fer ball pitchers in the bigs last year. Let Cairo go and pick up Mr. Strikeout, Tony Womack??? Gimme a break. Starting to remind me of the early 70's when anyone who wanted could play for the Yankees. There's a problem in the front office. I think it's panic and misdirected "knowledge".

I got a bad feelin' man!

#67149 --- 12/12/04 09:43 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY USA
Who saw Carl Pavano really going to the Yankees? I guess with Boston signing David Wells it might have made it either easier or harder to try and sign Pavano. But I didn't actually realize that it would happen. Now if the Yankees could only steal Pedro from Boston.

#67150 --- 12/12/04 03:19 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Doubt that it will happen for reasns mentioned earlier...Pedro's ego. "Me no quiero esta el startero numero tres or quatro. Quiero numero dos o nada."

#67151 --- 12/13/04 02:43 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Today's Boston Herald is claiming they have learned Pedro will accept a four-year offer from the New York Mets.

4 years 56 million, wow ......

#67152 --- 12/13/04 05:54 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
exyankeeguy Offline

Loc: Gulf of Mexico
Hell, I would play for the worst team in baseball for that price lol. It seems that the Yankees have gone astray again with their farm system. Wasnt Jeter, Williams, Posada and Soriano(i think) products of their farm system? I love the Yankees, but I really think they started to screw up when they got Giambi. No complaints about Matsui, hell, he wasnt in anyones farm. Just crossing my fingers for Johnson and Beltran..then be patient for the farm players to develop. Thats my Christmas wish lol

#67153 --- 12/14/04 09:31 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Outta town on a remote box. Mr. J got his #15 and #14 picks right, Roger and Pedro. I guess it's true, ignorance is bliss.

#67154 --- 12/15/04 11:51 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

No opening day tickets for us, Eddie !

Edgar Renteria has chosen to leave the Cardinals to join the Red Sox, accepting a four-year deal for close to $40 million.

It's all about the money !!!!

#67155 --- 12/16/04 08:11 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Quote:

It seems that the Yankees have gone astray again with their farm system. Wasn't Jeter, Williams, Posada and Soriano(i think) products of their farm system? I love the Yankees, but I really think they started to screw up when they got Giambi. No complaints about Matsui, hell, he wasnt in anyones farm. Just crossing my fingers for Johnson and Beltran..then be patient for the farm players to develop. Thats my Christmas wish lol

Good take EYG. The Yankees really have nothing to offer from their farm system after years of declining to include Soriano in any trades and finally bringing him up. Same with Nick Johnson. Boy I bet they wish they had Nick Johnson back now. They let lefty pitcher Brandon Claussen go to Cincy in a trade last or two years ago to get who, Gabe White??? They are not patient when it comes to their farm system anymore. That's one of the things that's holding up the Randy Johnson trade...no worthwhile minor leaguers for Arizona to build upon.

And yes Tino, it's looking bleak. The mlb.com leader for Free Agent Frenzy has 52 points already.

Assuming the Pedro signing materializes, through 6 signings here are the standings among the 8 of us:

Mr. J - 29
roadguy - 23
Eddie - 23
Mr. D - 21
Tino - 20
Petey - 16
bigbelliedchef - 14
Mr. S - 3

Lots of upward movement via the Clemens "signing". I didn't see that announcement. Did he accept arbitration AND announce that he would come back or is the "signing" simply based on his accepting arbitration? He can still retire I think irrespective of accepting arbitration. Confusing.

If Renteria does sign with Boston it affects none of us. Man that Boston payroll is starting to balloon. Same with the Mets. Lots of money being thrown around.

#67156 --- 12/16/04 07:16 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

On espn.com's Free Agent Tracker I noticed that Tino Martinez is a free agent right now. Maybe George could have enough common sense in bringing Tino back to play first base with the whole Giambi fiasco going on right now. I also read on espn.com that the Diamondbacks and Yankees are talking again about Randy Johnson. This time it is, from what I read, Javier Vasquez would be sent to Los Angeles for Randy Johnson. Another part of this supposed deal would be Shawn Green being traded from the Dodgers to the Diamondbacks.

#67157 --- 12/16/04 07:36 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Tino Martinez would certainly be a sentimental favorite at first base but I don't think it will happen, unfortunately. Yeah it does look like the Yankees are intent on making the Randy Johnson thing happen. I still think they are giving up on Vasquez too soon unless there is an Ed Whitson/Butch Wynegar "mental" thing (about adjusting to the Big Apple) going on.

One more FA Frenzy signing to report. Adrian Beltre to the Mariners. One person picked him. Mr. D at (only) a 1 but a lot of losers in that signing among us most notably EDDIE at a 14 , roadguy and Mr. J at 12s and a 10 spot loss for BBC and Mr. S.

Mr. D solidifies his overall #4 position in our game with 22 points.

Still some big fish out there, most notably Beltran and Varitek, high confidence levels for all of us across the board. Still anybody's game, even you Mr. S.

#67158 --- 12/16/04 10:10 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

It was now just reported on ESPN that the deal that I just talked about earlier about Randy Johnson has just happened. But it is in its early stage right now. Everyone has agree in principle on this trade. If the trade actually goes through it seems that the Yankees could very well have the best starting rotation at the beginning of next year.

#67159 --- 12/17/04 12:16 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Petey Offline

Forget about what I just said about the 3 teams supposedly in the whole Randy Johnson deal. There are a lot of different things that might not let this deal happen.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >