FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#67100 --- 11/07/04 08:40 AM FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Loc: Out in the ozone
If you haven't looked into this you should. It really tests your prognostication skills. I made my picks this morning and invite all you die-hard baseballers who, like me right now, are going through some withdrawl pains with the season's ignominious end.

Let's see who among us is the best at picking free agents. Winner among our own little family will win...as usual
BRAGGING RIGHTS on the Sports Forum.

Selections can be made until NOVEMBER 16TH!!!

Advise if you're in and we can all post our picks for comparison.

Good luck!

FingerLakes1.com
#67101 --- 11/07/04 10:03 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
beltran--------ny yankees
beltre---------atlanta
clemens--------texas or he retires again
del gado-------houston
drew-----------pittsburgh
garciaparra----texas
glaus----------white sox (he'll be a DH for rest of career)
kent-----------kansas city
martinez-------boston (he stays)
ordonez--------colorado (40 HR's in that thin air)
perez----------yankees
pavano---------arizona
radke----------philly
renteria-------boston
varitek--------anaheim

that's my prognastications.....biggie

#67102 --- 11/07/04 06:18 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Is this also your order of confidence in each pick? That is, you assign 15 (the highest confidence level) to the Beltran pick, 14 to the Beltre pick, 13 to Clemens on down to your least confident pick (Varitek) which, if it happens, gets you only one total point? Correct?

Now, not to muddy things up and BBC I think it's great that you are "in" BUT, one should not post until the end date. My picks, which I CAN alter on the mlb website, are the same as yours in only 3 instances. Having said that, I may consider changing mine after looking at yours. I may change a LOT of mine after looking at yours.

Suggetsion players is to make your picks and don't post until the mlb closing date so you are locked in to your picks.

We can however discuss things here, like Varitek. I have him staying in Boston because he's the "heart and soul" of that team (as long as the money's right). I was tempted to pick Anaheim too. Why do you think he leaves? Glaus to CWS? They have Frank Thomas!

How about payrolls. Who can afford what. I found a website that lists all the payrolls for 2004. Baltimore's Peter Angelos payroll last year...what do you think it was with Tejada and Palmeiro? I was surprised. How about where a player was born? Got Pettitte and Clemens to the Astros last year. There are some guys who I picked based on where they were born.

Lots of info on line that can color your picks.

I played this last year and was all set to win the grand prize of 2 tickets to opening day, I mean i KNEW all my picks were solid. I think I got 4 right. Sheeesh!

This thing can be a lot of fun and amke for some great dialogue among us all.

Who else is in? Tino, Petey, Highlander, CarlSpackler, Gio, Coach64, Don, RoadGuy, Seymore Lusifer, Tony Kubek, Brooklyn, anyone, anyone, Bueller...let's hear from you.

A special invitation for participation goes out to our desert bound amigo DEACON . Would love to hear your take on this thing.

#67103 --- 11/08/04 10:21 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

Loc: here
I made my picks last week. It is always tough. I only got 4 or 5 right last year.

#67104 --- 11/08/04 02:37 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I have only 2 picks for teams that are the same as BBC's and I just started looking harder at my Pedro pick and confidence based on the Red Sox making him a 2 year $14 mil per offer. I have 13 picks that are different than BBC's and I think I've nailed them all!!! Love how the thinking works on this thing.

BBC, for your Clemens pick, do you mean Houston again or Texas as in the Rangers?

I'll share one on my picks right now. Varitek stays in Boston and I'm REAL confident of that. I have a few others that I'm more confident of though...but not too much more confident.

Roadie, care to share one?

#67105 --- 11/09/04 12:11 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

I agree on Varitek, he's stays in Boston. Radke...a Met?

#67106 --- 11/09/04 04:17 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Radke is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and has spent his entire 10 year career with the Twins, successfully (127-118). Rarely misses a start. I don't see him wandering too far from the frozen northland. Plus, who in their right mind would want to play for the Mets. They are like the LA Clippers of MLB, you go there and become a loser.

Let's go out there baseballers. Start contributing!

#67107 --- 11/09/04 05:45 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I just responded to a post and before it could come up the post was deleted. That's a first for me. Weird!

Who posted? It was about Kevin Brown. Good fodder though.

#67108 --- 11/09/04 05:48 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Highlander Offline

I posted Brown to Atlanta, but then realized he may not fit the free agency profile, or does he ?

#67109 --- 11/09/04 05:51 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

That's OK high. The mlb.com thing lists only 15 of the gozillion (311 actually) free agents. But I don't think Brown is a free agent. Hang on, let's look at the list. Nope, not there. Do you have an inkling that he might get traded?

#67110 --- 11/10/04 10:39 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
roadguy Offline

Quote:

Radke is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin and has spent his entire 10 year career with the Twins, successfully (127-118). Rarely misses a start. I don't see him wandering too far from the frozen northland. Plus, who in their right mind would want to play for the Mets. They are like the LA Clippers of MLB, you go there and become a loser.

Let's go out there baseballers. Start contributing!

I hear you Eddie. I would surprised to see Radke leave the Twins let alone that area.

Take this is into consideration. His age, the salary he will want. The Mets always seem to sign guys like this. You know the "second level" free agents.

The other possibility for him would be the Cards.

#67111 --- 11/11/04 04:05 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

Something on ESPN maybe last night about players that teams "feel" they are stuck with. Giambi and kevin Brown showed up. YIKES! Giambi! Next year could be a tell tale year for Giambi. With all the BALCO steroids rumors and his body giving out last year, one wonders what his physical condition is going into next season. Back room rumors can get ugly.

I'll share another pick in hopes of luring some more dialogue. A mid range (in confidence) pick.

Carlos Delgado to Baltimore. But wait, don't they have Rafael Palmeiro already? Yes they do but I see Carlos drawing checks from Peter Angelos next year.

Anyone care to tell me I'm full of it?

#67112 --- 11/11/04 07:03 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I think the Orioles' priority should be on acquiring starting pitching, hmmmmm ~ as someone else's should be !

#67113 --- 11/14/04 10:53 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

They got Ponson back as a free agent last year and he mentally retired. I'm not sure I'd go to Baltimore if I'm a front line pitcher. I think there's a problem there with Ray Miller and the Lee Mazilli bad breath about "losing the locker room" last year.

Tino, did you make picks on mlb.com? Have you penciled down picks so we can all post after the deadline? I hope you have at least done one. It will make for good banter as the long cold baseball-less winter sets in.

#67114 --- 11/14/04 06:07 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Come on, gang, let's do this thang ! Pencil in your picks!
Mine will be done tomorrow, needed some time to seriously think it out! Prognosticator is my name, winning is my game

#67115 --- 11/15/04 09:22 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

I think I wrestled most with Maglio Ordonez. I think I had him on 4 different teams at different times. Troy Glaus was a tough one too. My Nomah changed a couple of times too but the one I had the most trouble with was Jeff Kent. Could not think of anywhere he would fit. Finally had him going as my least confident pick to the New York...METS! (Had him with the Yankees for a while.) Hey, why not. They like to waste money on players who have peaked, the Mets that is...not the Yankees.

So tomorrow all the picks on the mlb.com site become official and we get to post ours here. I'll be very interested in seeing who's picked who to go where and why. The why part should be especially interesting.

#67116 --- 11/16/04 06:31 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

LAST CHANCE! ENTRIES MUST BE MADE ON mlb.com BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, 16TH

#67117 --- 11/16/04 08:48 AM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
lennon lives Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
i readjusted my picks.....we'll see how it goes

#67118 --- 11/16/04 05:06 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Eddie Offline

You adjusted your picks??? I adjusted mine based on what YOU posted. Holy crap!

#67119 --- 11/16/04 08:00 PM Re: FREE AGENT FRENZY on mlb.com
Tino Offline

Help!! I can't find a team for Drew or Perez !!!! Three hours to go !!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >