FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#650741 --- 09/29/07 10:41 AM Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Done Deal? Looks like it....

major policy change in New York

FingerLakes1.com
#650820 --- 09/29/07 01:51 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: ~Ellie~]
Al Kida Offline

"What we're doing is opening the doors and making it easier for illegal immigrants, terrorists or whatever to come here and be able to perpetrate whatever they want," said Malta.

They say that like it is a bad thing!!!

#650838 --- 09/29/07 03:08 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: Al Kida]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
Republicans attack Governor Spitzer’s plan that would make it easier for illegal immigrants to get a driver’s license. The governor says it’ll make the streets safer in the long run, but Republican lawmakers argue the opposite.
The governor's plan means illegal aliens with a valid foreign passport can walk into a Department of Motor Vehicles office and walk out with a driver's license. Republican state lawmakers joined the Oswego County clerk in North Syracuse to attack that plan, calling it a rollback of security achieved since 9-11. County Clerk George Williams says, “We're lowering that bar by just handing out to the illegal aliens a right to drive.”

The governor contends his plan will lower insurance premiums for all New Yorkers, while at the same time improving security by creating records for police to keep track of illegal aliens. Spitzer says, “As long as I'm governor we will not pretend they do not exist. We will not cut them of from participating in our society.”

This is a hard sell for the governor. Lawmakers say his executive order, which prevents them from voting on it, will open the doors for terrorists. People outside the Syracuse D-M-V say the plan makes no sense.

Republicans plan to introduce legislation to stop the governor's plan. And they vow to sue if the governor doesn’t change his tune.

#650846 --- 09/29/07 03:35 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
~Ellie~ Offline

I think the Governor's plan is wacked...

#650849 --- 09/29/07 03:43 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: ~Ellie~]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

i just found this :

Syracuse Republicans react to governor

Local Republicans say that giving a license to an illegal immigrant is a threat to our country. They say that 7 of the 11 hijackers on 9/11 had government forms of ID from Virginia that allowed them to move freely around the country.

Today, Republican Assemblymen Will Barclay and David Townsend, Jr. Gathered in front of the North Syracuse DMV to voice their concerns. But President of the Syracuse Common Council Bea Gonzalez says that this is necessary. She says the country can't ignore immigrants, the longer they are ignored the more of a problem it becomes.

She says that they drive to work everyday and it makes more sense to have them licensed and insured. The governor estimates there are more than 1 million illegal immigrants in New York.

Updated 9/28 4:22 pm

Governor Eliot Spitzer and Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Commissioner David Swarts announced Friday an administrative policy change that will give all New Yorkers the opportunity to apply for state driver licenses without regard to immigration status. Tied to the policy change, the Governor and Commissioner also announced plans to implement a new regime of anti-fraud measures to increase the security of the licensing system as a new population of New Yorkers comes into the system.

The DMV estimates that tens of thousands of undocumented, unlicensed and uninsured drivers are currently on New York's roads, contributing to increased accidents and hit-and-runs as well as higher auto insurance rates. In addition, bringing more New Yorkers into the system will ensure a greater number of people have a license record.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Governor Spitzer's plan to allow illegal aliens to obtain driver's licenses has stirred up plenty of controversy from Albany to Buffalo. County clerks across the state have said they're against the governor's plan. Today, Assembly Republicans are holding a news conference calling on Spitzer to immediately rescind the plan. And Republican Congressman Thomas Reynolds of Erie County is holding his own news conference this afternoon in suburban Buffalo to denounce Spitzer's license plan for illegal aliens.

Posted 9/27/07

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - Governor Spitzer tore into New York City's mayor for lambasting the state's new driver's license policy for illegal aliens. Spitzer says it's legally and morally wrong for critics to say it will weaken national security and make it tougher for New Yorkers to fly. Spitzer has been besieged by officials at all levels recently over his plan to allow illegal immigrants with valid foreign passports to get driver's licenses. Many local county clerks are incensed over the policy. The Democratic governor's decision comes as the Department of Homeland Security is pushing all 50 states to tighten their identification standards. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the change could lead to the state's licenses not being acceptable proof of identification for air travel. Michael Balboni, New York's homeland security chief, said the new system actually improves security because it creates public records that police can use to ensure true identities.

#650851 --- 09/29/07 03:46 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

illegal aliens with a valid foreign passport ...ok so they have a valid passport ... so what ..so here we are the immigration department is running around scooping up people that are WORKING on farms , out in the field ,doing work that we won't do ... THEY ARE ILLEGAL ...and we want to give them a ok to drive but not work ...where are they going to drive to ..???

#650856 --- 09/29/07 03:57 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
~Ellie~ Offline

it's stoopid

#650884 --- 09/29/07 05:05 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: reilley
The governor's plan means illegal aliens with a valid foreign passport can walk into a Department of Motor Vehicles office and walk out with a driver's license.

Isn't something missing here? Don't they need to show that they know how to drive? Like, at least ask them which one of the wheels is the steering wheel...

#651021 --- 09/30/07 12:04 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: AbuDhabi]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
The governor's plan means illegal aliens with a valid foreign passport can walk into a Department of Motor Vehicles office and walk out with a driver's license.

Isn't something missing here? Don't they need to show that they know how to drive? Like, at least ask them which one of the wheels is the steering wheel...

You are a bigot!!!

Why do you hate illegal aliens and terrorist so much???

#651059 --- 09/30/07 02:16 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: Al Kida]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

you are a idiot ... why do I hate Terrorist ?
Bigot .. never
But ....
Where do I start .....
people killed in terror-related incidents went from 14,618 in 2005 to 20,498 last year
the number of terrorist incidents rose 28.5 percent to 14,338 in 2006, from 11,153 in 2005.
The number of children caught up in indiscriminate bombings and other attacks also soared 80 percent to 700 children killed and 1,100 wounded during the year.

Fatalities (excluding hijackers)
New York City World Trade Center 2,603 died and another 24 remain listed as missing[24][25]
American 11 88[26]
United 175 59[27]
Arlington Pentagon 125[28]
American 77 59[29]
Shanksville United 93 40[30]
Total 2,974 died and another 24 remain listed as missing.

#651066 --- 09/30/07 02:33 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
Al Kida Offline

you are a idiot ... why do I hate Terrorist ?
Bigot .. never
But ....
Where do I start .....
people killed in terror-related incidents went from 14,618 in 2005 to 20,498 last year
the number of terrorist incidents rose 28.5 percent to 14,338 in 2006, from 11,153 in 2005.
The number of children caught up in indiscriminate bombings and other attacks also soared 80 percent to 700 children killed and 1,100 wounded during the year.

Fatalities (excluding hijackers)
New York City World Trade Center 2,603 died and another 24 remain listed as missing[24][25]
American 11 88[26]
United 175 59[27]
Arlington Pentagon 125[28]
American 77 59[29]
Shanksville United 93 40[30]
Total 2,974 died and another 24 remain listed as missing.

And for that you would deny them drivers licenses???

The ACLU will be hearing about this!!!

#651091 --- 09/30/07 06:04 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: Al Kida]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

good i hope so ... cause they are skunk bags too

#651095 --- 09/30/07 07:21 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: Al Kida]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: Al Kida
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

You are a bigot!!!

Why do you hate illegal aliens and terrorist so much???

Hey, give me a break! I like the Russian and Chinese girls just fine.

#655715 --- 10/08/07 05:53 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: AbuDhabi]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Lets give them a NY license and then their next stop will be the welfare office. Valid identification is all thats needed.

#655844 --- 10/08/07 10:00 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: ~Ellie~]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

did anyone know that when a church sponsers a family from another country(honduras or what ever ) that church pays for house/apartment,Food,utlities,clothes,etc ... for 3 to 6 mo. Then as that is going on one looks for a job , IF in that TIME that has past IF they don't find a job, They are taken to SS and with a translator they get help filling out the booklet to get food,housing,medical,and cash and a job,in the mean time they get emergency help.... But If citizens OF USA need help ...where is it ? Zip.

#656604 --- 10/10/07 04:39 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: ~Ellie~]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Now She should get a raise !

Already I like this lady .

Driver's license debate continues
Cortland County Clerk promises to defy Spitzer

Oct 9, 2007 04:45 PM EDT

The Cortland County Clerk is not only promising to disobey Governor Spitzer's directive to allow illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses, she is threatening to have them arrested.

Elizabeth Larkin says the Governor's order violates her oath of office by requiring her to break Federal laws. Larkin says she could be charged as a felon: "if I'm aiding and abetting in any way providing documentation...it's a five year imprisonment term. I have a family. I'm not going to do it."

Larkin is taking the debate one step further. She says unless the Governor rescinds his order, she will post orange signs inside the DMV office in Cortland, in English. They would warn illegal immigrants applying for a license, that they would be immediately reported to the Cortland County Sheriff's Department. When asked if she was threatening them with arrest, Larkin replied: "if they're illegal, that's their choice."

The Cortland County Clerk has written to the Chair of the Cortland County Legislature asking that he present a resolution supporting her position to the full legislature.

#656655 --- 10/10/07 10:58 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: Taxpayer14456]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
Originally Posted By: Taxpayer14456
Lets give them a NY license and then their next stop will be the welfare office. Valid identification is all thats needed.

Ummm...many of them are already hooked up to services.

#656657 --- 10/10/07 11:01 AM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
illegal aliens with a valid foreign passport ...ok so they have a valid passport ... so what ..so here we are the immigration department is running around scooping up people that are WORKING on farms , out in the field ,doing work that we won't do ... THEY ARE ILLEGAL ...and we want to give them a ok to drive but not work ...where are they going to drive to ..???

if they have a valid passport...wouldn't they be legal aliens? I thought the illegals were the ones sneaking into the country without having proper paperwork.

#656767 --- 10/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Illegal immigrants to get NYS driver's license [Re: reilley]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
did anyone know that when a church sponsers a family from another country(honduras or what ever ) that church pays for house/apartment,Food,utlities,clothes,etc ... for 3 to 6 mo. Then as that is going on one looks for a job , IF in that TIME that has past IF they don't find a job, They are taken to SS and with a translator they get help filling out the booklet to get food,housing,medical,and cash and a job,in the mean time they get emergency help.... But If citizens OF USA need help ...where is it ? Zip.

How do they help them get a job without a Social Security number? You can't be hired legally without one. For that matter, how to people here on working Visas hold a job without a social security number?