FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#654530 --- 10/05/07 03:04 PM Spacey meets Chavez
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Well another actor has made it to my "do not watch list" along with Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, and Danny Glover ....do these people seriously think it isn't anti-American to schmooz with dictators and American haters? IMO there are better ways to show your dissatisfaction with our government w/o getting into bed with the likes of Chavez......

Spacey meets Chavez in Venezuela
Tuesday October 2, 2007

Kevin Spacey met Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, one of the most outspoken critics of the US in Latin America, yesterday. It is unclear what the pair talked about, as neither was keen to spill the beans to the press after their three-hour encounter in the presidential palace in Caracas. Earlier that day Spacey visited a $13m film studio founded last year by the government to support local film-making - details of the rest of his visit were not released to the press. Chavez has often said he wants Venezuela to produce its own films to counter America's "cultural imperialism" - although he does like some Hollywood films. Spacey is the third US actor to visit the Latin American leader, after Sean Penn and Danny Glover.

FingerLakes1.com
#654543 --- 10/05/07 03:21 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: ~Ellie~]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm always kind of fascinated at how much stock the average conservative puts into liberal celebrities and their political stances, alliances, etc. I couldn't care less about what such conservative stars as Charlton Heston, James Stewart, Danny Aillo, Doris Day, Fred Thompson, Ted Nugent, etc. think (or thought), do (or did) in their political lives. They are artists and I enjoy their art. For example, in addition to supporting blacklisting in Hollywood in the 50s, James Stewart was reportedly terribly bigoted against blacks but I still adore his movies.

It would just never occur to me to not enjoy art because I don't believe what the artist believes in real life. I'm not psyched that for example, Charlton Heston might donate money I use to purchase one of his films, or a ticket to one, to the NRA but I'm not going to NOT go to the movie because of it.

I wonder if liberals do this? I've only ever read or heard this expressed by conservatives vis-a-vis "liberal" "anti-American" artists and actors.

That's not to say that anyone should or shouldn't see any movie they like for whatever reasons - I just tend to not see things in which actors are whose work I don't enjoy, rather than letting their personal opinions inform my art consumption.

Edited by past tense (10/05/07 03:46 PM)

#654553 --- 10/05/07 03:53 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: past tense]
~Ellie~ Offline

That's why you have to love the USA, the freedom of choice. Unfortunately I don't think the people of Venezuela will have many choices once Chavez is through establishing his government running everything. And isn't he in the process of making his position a life time one? Nope, I can't respect any American who goes down to schmooz with him. It's my loss, but I think I can deal with it.

#654555 --- 10/05/07 03:55 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: ~Ellie~]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

It is too bad - all of the people on your list are stellar artists.

#654561 --- 10/05/07 04:21 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: past tense]
~Ellie~ Offline

Yeah but I'll live....

#654563 --- 10/05/07 04:22 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: ~Ellie~]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I'm sure you'll manage.

#654613 --- 10/05/07 07:58 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Who is Kevin Spacey and Sean Penn?

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#654682 --- 10/05/07 11:36 PM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Traitors, duh.

I want to see Penn's new film (he was producer) "Into the Wild". It's pretty controversial up this way, and in fact some of the film was shot in Alaska (unusual - a lot of "Alaska" movies are shot completely in Canada - as is "Men in Trees" that show on TV). Rumor has it they had a local screening (attended by Penn) at my favorite bar up here.

#654765 --- 10/06/07 06:16 AM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: ~Ellie~]
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
Originally Posted By: ~Ellie~
Well another actor has made it to my "do not watch list" along with Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, and Danny Glover ....do these people seriously think it isn't anti-American to schmooz with dictators and American haters? IMO there are better ways to show your dissatisfaction with our government w/o getting into bed with the likes of Chavez......

Spacey meets Chavez in Venezuela
Tuesday October 2, 2007

Kevin Spacey met Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez, one of the most outspoken critics of the US in Latin America, yesterday. It is unclear what the pair talked about, as neither was keen to spill the beans to the press after their three-hour encounter in the presidential palace in Caracas. Earlier that day Spacey visited a $13m film studio founded last year by the government to support local film-making - details of the rest of his visit were not released to the press. Chavez has often said he wants Venezuela to produce its own films to counter America's "cultural imperialism" - although he does like some Hollywood films. Spacey is the third US actor to visit the Latin American leader, after Sean Penn and Danny Glover.

Believe it or not I agree with what you're doing and I only wish it was a sentiment that more people shared. I wish that people would get informed about the actions of others and engage in boycotts when and where they can as their own form of silent protest. I wish people would get informed about the small business destroying, wages lowering, union busting, benefits denying activities of Wal-Mart and refuse to do their shopping there. I wish people would get informed about the price fixing, supply choking, environment fouling, labor abusing practices of the major oil companies and drive less or carpool or do something to reduce their gas consumption.

Despite the rapidly deflating value of the dollar I believe that in many ways the power of our dollar is more powerful than our vote and between election cycles it's just about the only real voice we have that any of these corporate swine will listen to. And maybe if everyone, or at least a good chunk of us, decided to withhold those dollars from people and groups and companies that engaged in these kinds of shenanigans, we might actually have something in this country that approaches the general appearance of democracy and our biggest problem actually would be Hollywood stars visiting foreign leaders who our government and media tell us that we should hate.

#654824 --- 10/06/07 09:04 AM Re: Spacey meets Chavez [Re: Reinhart Faust]
~Ellie~ Offline

You know what your problem is Rienhart? You "assume" too much, for your comments to have any validation.