FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#614924 --- 08/07/07 03:19 PM ban texting while driving.....
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Nine in 10 Americans say ban texting while driving .......
Tue Aug 7, 8:06 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ninety-one percent of Americans believe sending text messages while driving is as dangerous as driving after having a couple of drinks, but 57 percent admit to doing it, a poll released on Tuesday said.

The Harris Interactive survey commissioned by mobile messaging service Pinger Inc. found 89 percent of respondents believe texting while driving is dangerous and should be outlawed.

Even so, 66 percent of the adults surveyed who drive and use text messaging told pollsters they had read text messages or e-mails while driving. Fifty-seven percent admitted to sending them.

The state of Washington in May passed the first ban in the United States on texting while driving and at least six other states including New York, California and Florida are considering similar legislation, Pinger said in a statement releasing the survey results.

The survey found that men and women sent text messages while driving at equal rates but that the young did so more frequently. Sixty-four percent of those who admitted to sending text messages while driving were aged 18 to 34 while 6 percent were 55 or older.

FingerLakes1.com
#614941 --- 08/07/07 03:40 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: ~Ellie~]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
It is against the law to eat while driving. How many people do that? If you ban texting, they will just find something else to do (or ignore the ban like most do with the cell phones). I am not saying it is a bad idea, just not very enforceable.

#614947 --- 08/07/07 03:47 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: Greymane]
Sausage Offline

Loc: The Meat Grinder
A new study from the joint Wisconsin/Illinois Driving Task Force concluded that though texting while driving is dangerous, 89% of respondants to an un-scientific poll results stated that picking your ass while driving was equally as dangerous.

But seriously, doing anything while driving other than driving is dangerous at best, extremely hazardous at least.

#614963 --- 08/07/07 04:15 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: Greymane]
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Originally Posted By: Greymane
It is against the law to eat while driving. How many people do that? If you ban texting, they will just find something else to do (or ignore the ban like most do with the cell phones). I am not saying it is a bad idea, just not very enforceable.

for real?

#615004 --- 08/07/07 05:27 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: ~Ellie~]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Actually, I must amend my post. It appears in most states, including New York, it is not illegal to eat while driving. However, I imaging you could easily be ticketed for reckless driving while eating.

#615011 --- 08/07/07 05:45 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: ~Ellie~]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
When NYS banned driving while using a hand-held cp, what were they NOT THINKING of? No, Sausage, it wasn't ass-picking. Seriously, I think that driving and texting is MORE dangerous than driving and talking.

#615026 --- 08/07/07 06:17 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: VM Smith]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
I think the law would be great, IF they enforce it. But there are vast ways drivers can be "stupid". Changing the radio, reading a map, reading a newspaper, applying make up, popping a zit (seen that...ewww), fidgeting with the lighter in the vehicle, eating, opening a beverage container, etc. I am guilty of many of these myself (zit is one exception). You cannot outlaw stupid, if you want to call it "stupid".

#615073 --- 08/07/07 07:09 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
I love the ones that read a newspaper while driving. How do you follow a line of text in a paper or a book while trying to keep your eyes on the road?

#615098 --- 08/07/07 07:34 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: Strawberry Jam]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"popping a zit"

When he isn't ass-picking, Sausage usually does that, but only at high speed while on the interstate.

#615102 --- 08/07/07 07:37 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: VM Smith]
Sausage Offline

Loc: The Meat Grinder
I guess you didnt get the joke, idiot.

Picked your ass lately in frot of a woman? I bet so!

Edited by Sausage (08/07/07 07:38 PM)

#615189 --- 08/07/07 08:54 PM Re: ban texting while driving..... [Re: Sausage]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Sausage
I guess you didnt get the joke, idiot.

Picked your ass lately in frot of a woman? I bet so!

I got the "joke", but I forgot to laugh.

I actually have done that recently, but only because she said that it was the only way she could get aroused. You'd probably be pissed if I told you who the woman was.