FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#612705 --- 08/02/07 03:21 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
OMG..............Another important and full of useful information thread!

FingerLakes1.com
#612767 --- 08/02/07 07:00 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
pixie Offline

Loc: Romulus
trailers ? I dont think so, try nice big expensive houses, Ps bahamas is not a third world country, you must not travel much. My service as a EMT is free I do not get paid as a bahamas boat crew. Some day you may need a fireman or a EMT hope they help you ,it may change your poor additude.

Edited by pixie (08/02/07 07:04 AM)

#612821 --- 08/02/07 08:45 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: pixie]
SybilstwinII Offline

Go back to south seneca and apply band aids, you're qualified. I am a fireman sweetie and former emt and wouldn't have you help my dog. Big expensive house in romulus? come on, you're delusional.

#612826 --- 08/02/07 08:51 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
pixie Offline

who said i was a sweety are you gay ? if your a fire man let my expensive house burn please. your additude is so nice.

#612830 --- 08/02/07 08:55 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: pixie]
SybilstwinII Offline

Well "pixie" your name says so much about gay. And I'm not one of your "part time" hobby fireman in romulus, they might let it burn

#612831 --- 08/02/07 08:59 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Originally Posted By: SybilstwinII
And I'm not one of your "part time" hobby fireman in romulus

I would say you're really not much of anything since I have yet to see a productive comment from you about the topic.

#612837 --- 08/02/07 09:04 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: Greymane]
SybilstwinII Offline

How about the plant is FAR LESS of a hazard than what used to be there.

#612851 --- 08/02/07 09:32 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: Greymane]
pixie Offline

pixie is just a web name

#612854 --- 08/02/07 09:35 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Originally Posted By: SybilstwinII
How about the plant is FAR LESS of a hazard than what used to be there.

Now there is logic for you. "There used to be raw nuclear material there, so anything less than that is alright with me."

How about, "there used to be murderers here, so I am alright with the pedophiles"?

#612855 --- 08/02/07 09:36 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: SybilstwinII]
pixie Offline

the army is long gone and so is its bombs, but its polution is still there. We now face a diffrent threat. because something in the past was bad does that mean we need to allow anythng less today. We do not need to add on to the polution we need to keep working to clean up the land we live on.

#612879 --- 08/02/07 10:10 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: pixie]
fire safety Offline

Sybilstwinll,

I would say the best way to prove the statement that the Ethanol Plant is less dangerous then what the Government had there is to get the SEQR (State Environmental Quality Review completed so that everyone who cares can go to local government office and review it. It shouldn't take to long as one for Wal-Mart in Seneca Falls is only one 5" d-ring three ring binder.

#612883 --- 08/02/07 10:19 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: pixie]
MidFingerLaker Offline

Loc: Seneca County
What does it tell us about the ethanol project that the best thing the advocates can come up with is that it might not be as bad as a dump for toxic and radioactive waste?!

Let's see:

One the one hand, we have a project that will create serious safety hazards, pollute the air and water, create smell and visual blight, kill off the wildlife and use up almost 5000 acres to permanently prevent us from getting a more economically productive tenant for the depot site, and which will be a drain to taxpayers for the forseeable future.

On the other hand, we have 35 new jobs and a facility that might not be as bad as a radioactive toxic waste site.

Tough call!

#612896 --- 08/02/07 10:51 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: MidFingerLaker]
pixie Offline

STATIC ELECTRICITY CAUSED ETHANOL FIRE AND SIOUX CENTER BLAST

By TOM BARTON
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

An explosion that caused the evacuation of about 2,000 residents and which left one man in critical condition Wednesday afternoon was caused by static electricity, according to officials with the State Fire Marshal's Office.

State fire inspectors in a press release issued Wednesday, said the driver of a semi tractor/trailer, whose name was not being released, was loading gasoline from a rail car to the tanker Tuesday afternoon at Farmer's Co-op Society in Sioux Center when vapors were ignited by static electricity.

The driver suffered severe burns and was taken to St. Elizabeth Hope Center in Lincoln, Neb., which has a burn ward.

The explosion and subsequent fire resulted in the evacuation of about 2,000 of Sioux Center's 6,600 residents. They were allowed to return later in the evening.

The Sioux Center Fire Department was called to the fire around 4:45 p.m. Firefighters from five local volunteer fire departments and a crew from the Sioux City Fire Department hazardous materials unit responded and had the blaze contained by 9 p.m. The gas leak was under control by 11 p.m.

Some residents said they could see the smoke from well beyond the half-mile evacuation radius.

The fire, which followed the explosion at the Farmers Co-op Society, melted the truck's aluminum tank.

Sioux Center Fire Chief David Van Holland said no buildings were damaged, but that the town could have been devastated.

"Yes, it could have," he said. "It was pretty large," he said.

Authorities evacuated a a half-mile area around the site, just west of the town's business district that included a mall and grocery store. The evacuation covered nearly one-third of the town's population.

Local emergency management officials in Polk County used the explosion Wednesday to highlight the need for hazardous materials training involving ethanol.

The State Fire Marshal's Office said of the three train lines at the farmer's co-op, there were 13 rail cars on the middle line, which were filled with some amount of ethanol, along with nine cars on the west track which contained amounts of gasoline.

"Growth of the ethanol industry is great for all Iowans, but the awareness and education of the emergency responder community needs to keep pace with that development," said A.J. Mumm, director of the Polk County Emergency Management Agency in release sent Wednesday afternoon.

Emergency management representatives from Boone, Story, Marshall, Dallas, Polk, Madison, Warren and Marion counties will meet Wednesday night for an ethanol emergency training workshop.

"Yesterday's incident in Northwest Iowa is an unfortunate reminder of the importance of our planning, training and disaster exercise efforts," said Lori Morissey, Story County Emergency Management coordinator.

-- The Associated Press Contributed to this report

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

ATTACHMENT 4 of 4
The Evansville Courier & Press, Evansville, Indiana
Monday, July 30, 2007 http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/jul/30/overturned-semi-leaking-ethanol
/

UPDATE: WIND IS WORKING FOR EMERGENCY
CREWS AT SCENE OF LEAKING TANKER

- - -
Photo caption:
A tanker truck containing more than 7,000 gallons of ethanol has
overturned on Old Henderson Road.
- - -

A tanker truck loaded with 7,800 gallons of ethanol has overturned on Old Henderson Road and is leaking, creating a potentially hazardous situation.

"The material is very flammable, if it found an ignition source," said Lt. Dennis Daniel of the Vanderburgh Sheriff's Office, explaining why officials have requested a "safety zone" of one-half mile.

The wind direction is working to the advantage of rescue workers because fumes are headed toward corn fields and the river, rather than residential areas.

The accident occurred around 10:15 a.m. when a northbound semi on Old Henderson Road overturned. Daniel said the driver, Kyle Boyd, 25, of Princeton, Ind., was driving for Superior Fuels of Newton, Ill. when the tanker's wheels went off the edge of the road. That, he said, pulled the whole 18-wheeled rig over on its side.

The Perry Township Volunteer Fire Department is in charge of the scene, but the Evansville Fire Department is assisting with its HazMat team. The Indiana Department of Environmental Managemetn is also on the scene.

Bennett has been taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, officals said.

EARLIER

According to emergency dispatches, the leaking chemical, believed to be ethanol, is leaking at a rate of 50 gallons per minute. Evaluation of environmental impact of the leak also is being called for from the scene.

Ethanol is flammable in both its liquid and vapor forms. It is an irritant to eyes and can cause a variety of health problems ranging in severity if ingested or inhaled.

Old Henderson Road is closed in both directions as crews continue to cleanup the site.

#612902 --- 08/02/07 11:00 AM Re: our local fire dept and the ethanol plant [Re: pixie]
SybilstwinII Offline

First of all , not an advocate . Dumbest idea yet. Second of all, are you naive enough to think that stuff is not already there ?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2