FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#608313 --- 07/24/07 05:35 AM Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
from yahoo.com:

Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread By MERAIAH FOLEY, Associated Press Writer
4 minutes ago

SYDNEY, Australia - An American health official urged international agencies Tuesday to step up their promotion of circumcision to slow the spread of HIV, saying that men without the procedure face greater risk of contracting the virus from infected female partners.

ADVERTISEMENT

The World Health Organization says male circumcision reduces the risk of female-to-male transmission of the disease by around 60 percent. But only 30 percent of men worldwide have had the procedure, mostly in countries where it is common for religious or health reasons.

Robert Bailey, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Illinois, said uncircumcised men are 2- 1/2 times more likely to contract the virus from female partners, based on testing in parts of Africa hardest-hit by the epidemic.

Bailey told a major international AIDS conference in Sydney, Australia, that world health agencies should be aggressive in implementing the procedure in light of mounting evidence of its effectiveness in preventing new HIV infections.

"Circumcision could drive the epidemic to a declining state toward extinction. ... We must make safe, affordable, voluntary circumcision available now," he said.

"But no one stands to profit from male circumcision no one but the 4,000 in Africa who will be infected tomorrow," said Bailey, who has conducted circumcision-related studies in Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia and the United States.

Circumcision, the removal of the foreskin from the penis, has long been suspected of reducing men's susceptibility to HIV infection because the skin cells in the foreskin are especially vulnerable to the virus.

The World Health Organization issued a statement in March urging heterosexual men to undergo the procedure because of compelling evidence that it reduces their risk of getting the disease.

However, it cautioned that male circumcision is not a complete protection against HIV, and said men should still use condoms and take other precautions such as abstinence, delaying the start of sexual activity and reducing the number of sexual partners.

Michel Kazatchkine, the executive director of the international health agency The Global Fund, said the organization had not received any requests for funding for circumcision, and noted that the WHO advice on the topic had only been released in March.

"I believe that the evidence is overwhelming for the efficacy of circumcision," Kazatchkine told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the meeting. "And if countries come to us ... I see no reason at all why we wouldn't fund that."

FingerLakes1.com
#608375 --- 07/24/07 06:57 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
That is an interesting article, SBJ. I'm not sure I understand why the skin on the foreskin is more susceptible to HIV infection vs the rest of the skin on the male penis. Unless, the foreskin is more likely to become irritated or raw, therefore giving a place for the HIV virus to enter the man's blood stream?

#608393 --- 07/24/07 07:18 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I am not sure why, but the article notes the skin cells of the foreskin are more susceptible to infection. I do not know why.

Both of my sons are circumcized, we did so becaue my ex hubby is also, and did not want the boys to think they were "freaks" if they ever saw his. But, the US Army would not cover circumcision in their hospitals, we had to have it done off base and pay a co-pay. Why? Because the Army felt that it was an unnecessary surgery. Foreskin, if kept clean, causes no greater risk of infection, they said. The key words, kept clean, and I have seen elderly men have to go get the procedure because they had not done so.

I always thought it was a personal choice. My brothers are not cirmcumcized. (I know because of conversations...lol) and neither are their sons. But, I chose to do so for my sons because my ex was.

This article really threw me for a loop.

But, if you think about the poverty in Africa and the level of cleanliness/hygiene associated with it (clean water supply, etc) (or lack there of), I guess it makes sense.

#608401 --- 07/24/07 07:29 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I just found it strange that the foreskin cells are more susceptible. Maybe it does have something to do with lack of cleanliness. After all, if any skin is not kept clean and dry, it will develop infections, rash, etc.

#608402 --- 07/24/07 07:30 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Oh, and thanks for the visual of your brothers! LOL.

#608404 --- 07/24/07 07:31 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Most of my gay friends go "eewwweee" when it comes to uncircumsized...

#608409 --- 07/24/07 07:48 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma
Oh, and thanks for the visual of your brothers! LOL.

Hey! I never had a viusual...dont want one...ewwwww...LOL.

#608411 --- 07/24/07 07:52 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I didn't want a visual either. Unfortunately, I tend to be a very visual person.

#608453 --- 07/24/07 10:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Not to mention that circumcision is genital mutilation.

We get so upset over this issue when it comes to discussing females, but how is it less shocking when it comes to males? I think most of us would object to the practice for a female even if it were done surgically and safely but we don't bat an eye for male children because it's done routinely, every day.

After a lot of reading on the subject over the years I think it's barbaric.

#608466 --- 07/24/07 10:47 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I think it comes down to personal choice. Though my son's could not have told me yes or no then, they tell me today they are glad they are circumcized.

I was truly shocked by this article though, as I have often read and was taught that it had no real medical necessity. Now, this report says circumcision could help decrease HIV cases.

Vedy, vedy confusing indeed.

#608469 --- 07/24/07 10:50 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
I wonder how some of the people who jumped all over that girl for the tail docking feel about circumcision...

#608475 --- 07/24/07 10:56 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Yeah, but from a gay man's stand point, an uncut one requires way too much maintenance and upkeep.

#608480 --- 07/24/07 11:00 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
TMI, please some of us lead sheltered and cut lives.

#608481 --- 07/24/07 11:01 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Della
I wonder how some of the people who jumped all over that girl for the tail docking feel about circumcision...

I'm all for circumcision. I can honestly say, if I had not been circumcised as an infant, I would have been a bit irate with my mother...

OH, and both my dogs have docked tails. It's part of the breed.

#608483 --- 07/24/07 11:01 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Buddy
TMI, please some of us lead sheltered and cut lives.

In my view, cut is necessary.

#608491 --- 07/24/07 11:07 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

I totally agree

#608499 --- 07/24/07 11:10 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma

I'm all for circumcision. I can honestly say, if I had not been circumcised as an infant, I would have been a bit irate with my mother...

OH, and both my dogs have docked tails. It's part of the breed.

If it were "part of the breed" they would be born that way. It is part of the AKC standard for the breed which they are working on changing for many breeds.

#608500 --- 07/24/07 11:11 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
to be honest, for aesthetic reasons, I prefer circumcised...is that being selfish? oh probably, but I'm being honest!

#608501 --- 07/24/07 11:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Carerinoa]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Well, I like their little nubs. It is part of their character and fits them quite well.

#608503 --- 07/24/07 11:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: fingerlakeslover
to be honest, for aesthetic reasons, I prefer circumcised...is that being selfish? oh probably, but I'm being honest!

Not at all. I agree 100%

#608504 --- 07/24/07 11:14 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
This is just my opinion but if men weren't circumcised as babies they would not have it done when they get older even if they wanted to be cicrumcised. Men are babies when it comes to any pain in that area.

#608509 --- 07/24/07 11:18 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Carerinoa]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Actually, if I had not been circumcised as a baby, I would have had it done as an adult. I just don't like the looks of uncircumcised and I am too much of a clean freak to deal with all the care it requires when uncircumcised.

#608510 --- 07/24/07 11:18 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Carerinoa]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

While likely true on the whole, it's not entirely true. Some men who did not have it done as an infant have had it done as adults. But you are right - by and large it is something that most adult men would not have electively.

#608512 --- 07/24/07 11:19 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

But TRD, if you hadn't been uncircumcised as a child you might not have your current aversion to the uncircumsized penis. It's simply what you're used to.

#608518 --- 07/24/07 11:24 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

No, I can honestly say, there is no way I would want to deal with all the upkeep to keeping it clean. An uncircumcised member gets nasty very quickly.

#608522 --- 07/24/07 11:26 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

LOL

I say you're still reaching, and you can't possibly know how you'd feel about your ween other than how you feel about it now, but I suppose that's fair enough.

None of my uncut friends seem to have a problem keeping it clean, though. For example, it never took my uncut roommate in college any longer in the bathroom that my cut roommates.

#608526 --- 07/24/07 11:29 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

That's because they were all playing with their fav. toy! lol

#608567 --- 07/24/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Originally Posted By: past tense
LOL

I say you're still reaching, and you can't possibly know how you'd feel about your ween other than how you feel about it now, but I suppose that's fair enough.

None of my uncut friends seem to have a problem keeping it clean, though. For example, it never took my uncut roommate in college any longer in the bathroom that my cut roommates.

My o My....quite a bunch of Johnson friends you have there....

Maybe as a young stud it isn't a problem keeping the underware lint out from underneath the hood but as you age and get older it does become a problem as smegma and more frequent urination become a breeding ground for yeast carrying puss.....

#608579 --- 07/24/07 12:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't bring myself to put in those terms...yuck!

#608580 --- 07/24/07 12:51 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Good thing we can always count on Lusi!!

#608594 --- 07/24/07 01:13 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

In college I lived with three men (and two women) my first year off-campus and four men my last year on campus. I've mentioned one of my roommates was from Greece, and he was not (and still is not) circumcised. We had many a conversation about snipping vs. not. As we all know, snipping is not widely practiced (culturally) outside of the US - it's a religious rite for Jewish males, but there is really no "reason" outside of that to perform a disfiguring surgery on a newborn infant. It perpetuates mainly because people want their children's johnsons to match their daddy's.

Why is female circumcision an unacceptable cultural practice and male circumcision acceptable? It confuses me. Even if female circumcision is performed in a sterile environment we decry it as a practice but no one bats an eye as the foreskin is removed from hundreds - thousands? - of male infants every day.

#608623 --- 07/24/07 01:48 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Ok, I will admit my ignorance here. When the circumcise a woman, what exactly are they removing?

#608631 --- 07/24/07 02:00 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

A female circumcision can involve one more more of the following:

removal of the "hood" over the clitoris* I forgot about this one - but it's listed in Wikipedia

removal of the clitoris and part or whole of the labia

sewing closed (to varying degrees) the vaginal opening

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does, but regardless they are both genital mutilation.

Edited by past tense (07/24/07 02:01 PM)

#608637 --- 07/24/07 02:10 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
LOL

My o My....quite a bunch of Johnson friends you have there....

Maybe as a young stud it isn't a problem keeping the underware lint out from underneath the hood but as you age and get older it does become a problem as smegma and more frequent urination become a breeding ground for yeast carrying puss.....

vomits

#608803 --- 07/24/07 09:45 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

removal of the "hood" over the clitoris* I forgot about this one - but it's listed in Wikipedia

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does, but regardless they are both genital mutilation.

These are two completely different procedures and result in two completely different affects. You cannot compare them as similiar when they are so different. I will say hood removal is probally closest to male circumcision. Call it genital mutilation (male circumcision), I call it advanced civilized grooming.

If you really believed this then explain why you shave your legs........

#608826 --- 07/25/07 12:20 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

It's not comparing apples and oranges - it's a permanent disfigurement to one's genital area. Circumcision of males IS genital mutilation. Shaving one's legs is not permanent - and how do you know that I do?

#608922 --- 07/25/07 07:39 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Thanks PT. I was kind of thinking that was the case, but I wasn't sure.

Based on what is done to a female, it sounds like it is done to a girl in order to prevent her from being sexually active or sexually appealing.

#608923 --- 07/25/07 07:41 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

It's not comparing apples and oranges - it's a permanent disfigurement to one's genital area. Circumcision of males IS genital mutilation. Shaving one's legs is not permanent - and how do you know that I do?

I'm not sure I would call male circumcision a disfirgurement. I personally like the way I look with the circumcision. Actually, all my gay male friends prefer a nice circumcised one over an uncut one.

#608967 --- 07/25/07 09:19 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
fingerlakeslover Offline

I'm with you, Tacoma. It's not disfiguring for a male in the least. When done to a woman, on the other hand, it is not only disfiguring but can be deadly. I watched a show on TV a few years ago where a women from Africa had this done to her...she was only 12 at the time and was taken from her home to a secluded area, accompanied by her mother as well, who participated in this. She was sewn closed using a long thorn from a bush and string. This was done to many young women to prevent them having sex. Their clitoris was cut off, as well. Many died from infection.

#608990 --- 07/25/07 10:50 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I don't understand how anyone can say that male circumcision isn't mutilation. You are permanently altering a body part to appear in a way different than nature, or God, or what/whoever intended it to look. If it were "meant" to look that way you'd be born that way. Whether you agree with the practice or not, it is genital mutilation.

And of course most people "prefer" the look of a circumcised penis - it's what they are used to. That's like wondering why most American men "prefer" a woman who shaves her legs and under her arms - it's what they're used to.

Edited by past tense (07/25/07 10:52 AM)

#608998 --- 07/25/07 11:21 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland

Why is female circumcision an unacceptable cultural practice and male circumcision acceptable? It confuses me.

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does

You think - maybe????

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#609007 --- 07/25/07 11:53 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Regardless, you are still PERMANENTLY ALTERING a physical feature of one's genitalia. That is the definition of genital mutilation. I just find it interesting that we don't think much about one while we're horrified by the other.

#609019 --- 07/25/07 12:15 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Then do you also feel that piercing ones ears, nose, tongue, tattooing is also a form of mutilation? Is in permanently altering a body and making it look different.

I have a pierced ear, a tattoo (plan on getting another) and I don't feel I have mutilated my body in any way.

#609022 --- 07/25/07 12:20 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Of course they are forms of mutilation. I have three holes in one ear and two in the other, plus a navel piercing. However I CHOSE to have those done.

I think because the word "mutilation" is generally used in a negative sense you are reading it with a value judgement when there really isn't one. But any permanent change to the human body is, in fact, mutilation, including piercing and tattooing.

Edited by past tense (07/25/07 12:21 PM)

#609024 --- 07/25/07 12:25 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

You have 4 piercings? Do they allow that in Seneca Falls? lol.

Ok, then in that sense I agree with you, circumcision, piercing, tattoos are a form of altering the human body.

I guess I don't have a problem with male circumcision because I don't find where it has caused any ill effects upon my life, where the things that are done to girls are much more life threatening.

#609028 --- 07/25/07 12:33 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I just think it's a double standard. Messing with your junk is just as bad as messing with mine. IMO.

#609029 --- 07/25/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

LOL. My mind went right to the gutter. hahahaha

#609030 --- 07/25/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

By the way, there is no way in hell, I'm ever gonna do a piercing below the waist. I've seen guys with that and it is just down right scarey.

#609033 --- 07/25/07 12:44 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I had a boyfriend w/ one - back in the day. Wasn't half bad! lol

#609037 --- 07/25/07 12:45 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I'm shocked! Actually I have heard that it does help to improve sensitivity....Nope, still not gonna do it.

#609040 --- 07/25/07 12:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I wouldn't either! Ever. But ah - it was fun while it lasted? lol

He had a lot of piercings and tats. In fact, he's the one who convinced me to get my navel pierced. I've been thinking about taking it out since I'm, um, thirty.

#609044 --- 07/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Thirty? You old thing!

There's a guy that works at Spin on Park Ave. He has more piercings than I can count on his face and ears. He's a really nice guy, very friendly. We have been dying to ask him what else he has pierced.

#609046 --- 07/25/07 12:53 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

lol - Spin - is that the coffee place? I had their Blueberry Crunch whole bean in my freezer in NY - loved it! Thank goodness we can at least get good coffee here...

I'd ask him - generally people w/ that many piercings love to talk about it. I know my ex did.

#609051 --- 07/25/07 12:56 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Yes, Spin is the coffee place. I'm dying to dry the Blueberry Crunch. Every time I'm in there I usually am poor and can only afford my drink. But one of these days, I'm gonna buy a bag of it.

I would assume people with many piercings are like people with many tattoos. They are pretty proud of them.

Speaking of tattoos, I'm thinking about getting a Celtic Knot on my shoulder. The other half is thinking about the Ying Yang in the form of lizards.

#609055 --- 07/25/07 12:59 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Fancy!
I chickened out on a tat last year before moving. Maybe next time!

#609056 --- 07/25/07 01:00 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I have the one on my leg. Got it years ago. The worst part was the irritation afterwards. But it healed quickly and wasn't bad at all.

#609145 --- 07/25/07 03:04 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Every time this subject comes up - male circ. - I can't help but think about it...mostly because I never gave it much thought until I met someone who wasn't circumcised. I mean, why would I? I don't even remember one being in my health textbook or anything. Anyway, I just think it's interesting because if you think about it - absent a religions reason (which I don't necessarily think justifies the practice, but it has a basis, a reasoning, whether I agree with it or not) - we basically circumcise because that's what's done. That's what you do. That's how it's done. And I think that's kind of a crazy reason to do anything - especially something like allow a doctor to perform surgery on your newborn son's penis. It's not as routine, I think, when you consider it that way for a minute.

So I thought I'd google "botched circumcision" just to see what came up and - ew.

http://www.fathermag.com/health/circ/horror/horror.shtml

plus some "botch galleries" which - I'm sorry I visited. Won't make that mistake again.

I just really find it fascinating the way one is this huge human rights issue, but to bring up male circumcision as a human rights issue usually meets with disbelief.

#609171 --- 07/25/07 04:04 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I believe the medical reasoning behind it it is for less infections will occur than with the foreskin..this is what ive heard

#609223 --- 07/25/07 06:44 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: donedirtcheap]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Which has pretty much been debunked. All you have to do is clean it. Is it that tough to clean? It can't take more than an extra 60 seconds.

Edited by past tense (07/25/07 06:45 PM)

#609243 --- 07/25/07 08:23 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Regardless, you are still PERMANENTLY ALTERING a physical feature of one's genitalia. That is the definition of genital mutilation. I just find it interesting that we don't think much about one while we're horrified by the other.

Uh huh and here again cause I think you missed it...

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does

... I would say this is why we are horrified by it. Please tell me you are not suggesting we shouldnt be????

#609269 --- 07/25/07 09:49 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Did PT give "GOD" credit for creating foreskin? I thought I have read everything but.....

My reverse prince albert piercing has been real sensitive lately....

#609275 --- 07/25/07 10:42 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
Which has pretty much been debunked. All you have to do is clean it. Is it that tough to clean? It can't take more than an extra 60 seconds.

Hey now...you want me to spend twice the amount of time washing it than using it??? Wait...I think Im up to 35 seconds now...

#609366 --- 07/26/07 08:50 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: donedirtcheap]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Hahahaha!!

#609371 --- 07/26/07 09:14 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: donedirtcheap]
Wyatt Earp Offline

Loc: Right behind you, Stilwell
Originally Posted By: donedirtcheap

Hey now...you want me to spend twice the amount of time washing it than using it??? Wait...I think Im up to 35 seconds now...

Can you get her to clean it for you?

#609379 --- 07/26/07 09:37 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Wyatt Earp]
Della Offline
Gold Member

My thought is if you aren't keeping it clean you may have a hard time finding someone willing to clean it for you.

#609508 --- 07/26/07 02:04 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
At a recent first aid and CPR training I attended......they said that if anyone had Boobonic(<<<<<spelling)Plague..... somewhere down the line of their family that that is some kind of natural protection against the Aids virus and that those people will not get it.

#609512 --- 07/26/07 02:14 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Gio

Uh huh and here again cause I think you missed it...

... I would say this is why we are horrified by it. Please tell me you are not suggesting we shouldnt be????

I didn't suggest anyone SHOULD NOT be horrified by female genital mutilation. I'm am suggesting that it's interesting that we aren't horrified by male genital mutilation that goes on every day, covered by insurance, in the US. A practice that hardly has a consensus in the medical community as one that provides any real health benefits.

At this point, in my opinion, we do it 'cause that's how it's done' rather than for a solid medical reason. I think that's kind of insane. Especially after viewing some of the images of botched circumcisions. Seems like an extreme procedure when you could just - you know - clean it more thoroughly.

#609654 --- 07/26/07 08:15 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
MorganHills Offline

Loc: On a tangent
disease harbinger. earlier the better. it is not mutilation; it is modification and speeding of nature's vestigal ridding of needless tissue.

#609662 --- 07/26/07 08:23 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

[quote=Gio][quote=past tense]

To be perfectly honest with you I never gave it any thought what so ever untill I read an article about female ones being forcefully done to women in some African tribal societies. Again I do not understand your confusion on the whole matter. If circumcision prevented a male from having an orgasm it would be just as horrific as a female one. How is that confusing to you? Or am I just making it too simple?

#609664 --- 07/26/07 08:25 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: MorganHills]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: MorganHills
it is modification and speeding of nature's vestigal ridding of needless tissue.

Great!

That's what I'll say about abortion during our next forum debate on the subject.

#609667 --- 07/26/07 08:27 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

[quote=Gio][quote=past tense]

To be perfectly honest with you I never gave it any thought what so ever untill I read an article about female ones being forcefully done to women in some African tribal societies. Again I do not understand your confusion on the whole matter. If circumcision prevented a male from having an orgasm it would be just as horrific as a female one. How is that confusing to you? Or am I just making it too simple?

Well. I think there are a FEW other aspects of female circumcision that are horrifying, other than the inability to have orgasm.

I just think it's weird that people don't see male circumcision the same way - not ALL female circumcisions result in a woman's inability to orgasm, but those are just as "horrific" as those that do. The whole mindset that male circumcision is not mutilation - which it is - is fascinating.

#609672 --- 07/26/07 08:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
MorganHills Offline

foreskin ain't no baby PT

#609673 --- 07/26/07 08:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Because people think of mutilation as a bloody corpse hacked to pieces and stuck in a blender or something like that. A violent act of anger and hatred.

#609694 --- 07/26/07 09:42 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
MorganHills Offline

#609695 --- 07/26/07 09:43 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Not completely "debunked". I have had to take care of elderly male patients that have had to have circumcision done because they had NOT kept it clean. The foreskin can be like any other area where bacteria will grow. It is a dark, moist place and if not cared for properly, can cause infection and then make a circumcision necessary.

It isn't so much that it is "tough to clean" as much as elderly men tend to stop taking care of themselves, especially if they live alone, are widowed, etc. Not only can the foreskin get inflamed, it can lead to urinary tract infections, which could lead to kidney problems and possibly, prostate infections.

I still believe that it is a personal choice, I would never think circumcision should be an "absolute" necessity (ie: mandated by law). I think it should be up to the parents of the baby boy. The foreskin has no real purpose, and it does not change anything medically speaking. Except reducing the risk of infection given that it can be a bacterial breeding ground IF cleaning is not done.

Some people get their baby girl's ears pierced, which can also be construed as a form of mutilation, and the baby is not old enough to give consent.

#609697 --- 07/26/07 09:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

it is modification and speeding of nature's vestigal ridding of needless tissue.

Great!

That's what I'll say about abortion during our next forum debate on the subject.

Just as your leg hair will grow back so will baby tissue...comparing apples to oranges....

#609800 --- 07/27/07 09:09 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
fingerlakeslover Offline

dang lusi, I hate clowns...scary ass pic ya got there!

#609814 --- 07/27/07 09:54 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Now I can't read anymore of his posts

#609816 --- 07/27/07 09:56 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
fingerlakeslover Offline

I know Della, reminds me of that movie "It"...oh wait, that's the Joker from Batman, right? oh well, a clown is a clown..shiversssss

#609835 --- 07/27/07 10:25 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Clowns are creepy. I say get rid of the foreskin too.

#609844 --- 07/27/07 10:53 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Yetta Nother]
fingerlakeslover Offline

lolol, my sentiments exactly, yetta

#609846 --- 07/27/07 10:55 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I have never seen a clown show his foreskin...now THAT would be creepy!

#609853 --- 07/27/07 11:03 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Della Offline
Gold Member

especially if it was a vertically challenged clown showing his foreskin!

#609855 --- 07/27/07 11:04 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

You ladies must all know him then, LMAO

#609869 --- 07/27/07 11:19 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
fingerlakeslover Offline

ok, now my clown nightmares are not only scary but perverted...ewwwww

#609877 --- 07/27/07 11:38 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

I would guess most of you from Seneca Falls know him quite well. HE HE, he is a character

#609886 --- 07/27/07 11:59 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
fingerlakeslover Offline

know who? of course, I'm not from Seneca Falls so not sure who you're talking about, buddy \:\(

#609906 --- 07/27/07 12:29 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam

Not completely "debunked". I have had to take care of elderly male patients that have had to have circumcision done because they had NOT kept it clean.

Exaaaaaaaaaactly. "Because they had not kept it clean".

Keep it clean - need to mutilate eliminated.

#609907 --- 07/27/07 12:29 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: MorganHills]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

foreskin ain't no baby PT

Neither is a zygote, MH.

#609908 --- 07/27/07 12:30 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Because people think of mutilation as a bloody corpse hacked to pieces and stuck in a blender or something like that. A violent act of anger and hatred.

People think of - key phrase.

#609911 --- 07/27/07 12:35 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Not completely "debunked". I have had to take care of elderly male patients that have had to have circumcision done because they had NOT kept it clean.

Exaaaaaaaaaactly. "Because they had not kept it clean".

Keep it clean - need to mutilate eliminated.

Unfortunately, many elderly forget the necessity in keeping it clean.

#609913 --- 07/27/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

So we should mutilate babies because in 80 years they might forget to clean it?

I'm still not convinced.

#609919 --- 07/27/07 12:44 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I am not trying to convince you, PT. As I said, it is is a personal choice to be made by the parents of the baby boy, not society. If you chose to have a child that turned out be male, and not have it circumcized, that is your perogative and I would not question it.

Most circumcisions done today are decided by the parents, and most decisions are based on what the father is: cut or uncut. Simple as that.

#609923 --- 07/27/07 12:53 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I'm just starting to think about it since I'd have to make a decision if I had a child. I have no idea how JP feels about it to be honest, but I'm sure he'd want a male child to look like him. To me, that's not a good reason to lop off the end of a child's penis.

Other than religious reasons I can't really fathom why we still continue this practice. And even then "religious reasons" seems - scary. Especially when you consider that a Jewish circumcision is performed by a mohel, in a home during a bris, not a doctor in a hospital.

I'm just trying to think this out, basically.

#609927 --- 07/27/07 01:00 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Truthfully, PT, most of the guys I know that are cut are very happy that they were cut as infants. The general consensus is it is much cleaner and there is less chance of smell. Even during the course of a hot day, sweating in your clothing, an uncut penis is a breeding ground and gets pretty nasty pretty quick.

We actually had this conversation the other night in the local gay bar that I frequent. Pretty much everyone there said they would rather be cut then uncut.

I should also add, the ones that like the uncut, like the funky smell that goes with an unclean uncut penis.

Edited by TRD_Tacoma (07/27/07 01:01 PM)

#609928 --- 07/27/07 01:01 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
fingerlakeslover Offline

I'm just starting to think about it since I'd have to make a decision if I had a child. I have no idea how JP feels about it to be honest, but I'm sure he'd want a male child to look like him. To me, that's not a good reason to lop off the end of a child's penis.

Other than religious reasons I can't really fathom why we still continue this practice. And even then "religious reasons" seems - scary. Especially when you consider that a Jewish circumcision is performed by a mohel, in a home during a bris, not a doctor in a hospital.

I'm just trying to think this out, basically.

they are not "lopping of the end" of the penis...they are removing some of the foreskin...in my opinion, this is not mutilation..it is a surgical procedure done which has no ill effect on a man as he ages...he is able to perform sexually, able to orgasm, he is able to impregnate, able to urinate....when done in a woman, this I consider to be mutilation...it is done forcibly, the woman may most likely never bear children due to scarring and infections, she is unable to climax and of course, may never have sex. Like I said...my opinion

#609930 --- 07/27/07 01:07 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I know that in your opinion it is not mutilation, however it IS mutilation. Permanent physical disfigurement is mutilation. Just like a piercing or a tattoo is mutilation - perhaps not the "limb chopped off by a machete in Rwanda" style mutilation you are thinking of - it is mutilation. "Mutilation" is not necessarily done by force, without consent, etc. I voluntarily mutilated my body six times with various piercings.

I think the problem some of you are having is getting past the sort of value-laden term "mutilation" when it's not really as value laden as you think.

Also, I'd ask men whose circumcisions were botched if there were "no ill effects" before you write circumcision off as a harmless procedure.

#609931 --- 07/27/07 01:10 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

It will boil down to you and JP making that decision together, PT. Only you and he can make the decision and noone should judge you for it either way.

But, to be clear, no "lopping off of the end of the penis" is occuring. It is a flap of skin, not part of the penis, that is being removed.

#609932 --- 07/27/07 01:16 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

It's NOT a part of the penis?

I'm pretty sure my uncut friends would disagree with that.

We don't plan on having kids but if we did, and we had a boy, I think it would be hard for me to decide.

Not that I take everything on the I-net to be true, but I found this interesting at this link:

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~rich/MGM/primer.html

"A typical western medical circumcision results in the loss of approximately 1/2 of the total surface area of the penis and between 50 and 80% or more of its erogenous sexual nerves, [8, 9, 10] including:

The Taylor "ridged band" [sometimes called the "frenar band"], the primary erogenous zone of the male body. This unique, highly specialized and exquisitely sensitive structure is equipped with soft ridges designed by nature to stimulate the female's inner labia and G-spot during intercourse.

The frenulum, the highly erogenous V-shaped tethering structure on the underside of the head of the penis.

Between 10,000 and 20,000 specialized erotogenic nerve endings of several types, which can feel slight variations in pressure and stretching, subtle changes in temperature, and fine gradations in texture.

Thousands of coiled fine-touch receptors called Meissner's corpuscles, which are also found in the fingertips.
Also lost are:

The foreskin's gliding action, the non-abrasive gliding of the shaft of the penis within its own sheath, which facilitates smooth, comfortable and pleasurable intercourse for both partners.

The "subpreputual wetness" which protects the mucosa of the glans (and inner foreskin), and which contains immunoglobulin antibodies and antibacterial and antiviral proteins such as the pathogen-killing enzyme lysozyme, a potent HIV killer which is also found in tears and mothers' milk.

Estrogen receptors, the purpose of which is not fully understood.

The foreskin's apocrine glands, which produce pheromones.

The protection and lubrication of the erogenous surface of the penis, which is designed by nature to be an internal organ like the vagina. Natural sex involves contact between two internal organs. [11] "

Not part of the penis?

#609933 --- 07/27/07 01:23 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I gotta say, from personal experience...none of the circumcized men I have known have complained about any of that. ;\)

#609934 --- 07/27/07 01:26 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

How could they know the difference?

#609936 --- 07/27/07 01:29 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Ok my question is how many boys hang around naked with their fathers to even notice a bif difference? Once my son was potty trained I don't think they spent a lot of time together with my ex husband naked.

#609937 --- 07/27/07 01:31 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I think it's a general desire for their penises to match - I don't think necessarily so they can have mother's day mugs printed up with their respective matching parts on them ;\)

#609938 --- 07/27/07 01:32 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

And for the record, when my uncut friend would boast about how much "more" sensation he had than cut males, I would say the same thing - how can you possibly know?

I guess the only ones that could know are men who have been circumcised as adults. And all I can say to that is OW.

#609939 --- 07/27/07 01:32 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

How could they know the difference?

Notice the wink, it was a post made in fun.
The answer is they would not know. Nor would an uncircumcized male know if it was any "different" to be cut as far as sexual stimulation/lubrication.

I still beleive it is a personal choice. My sons are not upset that they are circumcized, they haven't disowned me for making that decision with their father. Life goes on.

#609940 --- 07/27/07 01:33 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
fingerlakeslover Offline

I think the key words here were "lopping off the end of the penis"...the end of the penis is not lopped off..it is fully intact...the skin surrounding the head of the penis is removed, exposing the head of the penis and the most sensitive area of the organ, the glans.

#609942 --- 07/27/07 01:34 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I think it's a general desire for their penises to match - I don't think necessarily so they can have mother's day mugs printed up with their respective matching parts on them ;\)

OMG! HAHAHAHAHA!

Nope, never thought of having that done.

#609943 --- 07/27/07 01:34 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

And I think we all know that it was a turn of phrase.

Also, I think it's arguable that the most sensitive part of the penis is exposed - I think it's quite possibly the most sensitive part of the penis that is removed. Bummer.

#609945 --- 07/27/07 01:35 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

And if it IS the most sensitive part of the penis that is removed, the part that enhances sexual pleasure, this procedure is a LOT closer to female circumcision that some of you want to believe.

#609946 --- 07/27/07 01:36 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

What better way to spend a rainy afternoon...discussing penises.

#609948 --- 07/27/07 01:36 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Hey!

It's raining here, too!

Except it's morning

#609949 --- 07/27/07 01:37 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I can think of only ONE better way to spend a rainy day with penises...other than discussing them, of course...

lol

#609952 --- 07/27/07 01:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I can think of only ONE better way to spend a rainy day with penises...other than discussing them, of course...

lol

Funny, I had the same thought....

#609953 --- 07/27/07 01:39 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Well, I guess we'll never know now...not that I think my husband has any regrets about being circumcised...sure seems pretty sensitive to him. And, why are men having circumcisions done as adults if sex is even better uncut? Perhaps due to infections from not keeping under the foreskin clean...but then again, why not take a few more moments to clean it and keep that foreskin that makes sex so much more appealing. Hmmmm...pondering that

#609955 --- 07/27/07 01:41 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
fingerlakeslover Offline

not raining here...maybe it will hold out for the night..cruisin night tonight

#609956 --- 07/27/07 01:41 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I also keep picturing the boy from "Kindergarten Cop" "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina"...I just know that will be my grandson in kindergarten!

My daughter had to explain to him the difference when he walked in on her peeing. He asked her, "Mommy, you don't have a "peter", do you pee out your butt?"

My daughter called me, both laughing and wondering where to start with this'un?

#609958 --- 07/27/07 01:41 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

You are right, FLL, it stopped raining here, too. Sun is out.

#609960 --- 07/27/07 01:43 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Well, I guess we'll never know now...not that I think my husband has any regrets about being circumcised...sure seems pretty sensitive to him. And, why are men having circumcisions done as adults if sex is even better uncut? Perhaps due to infections from not keeping under the foreskin clean...but then again, why not take a few more moments to clean it and keep that foreskin that makes sex so much more appealing. Hmmmm...pondering that

Personally, if I was a male that was uncut as a baby, I would not want anyone cutting skin off as an adult from my penis. But, that is because I dont especially like pain.

#609961 --- 07/27/07 01:45 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Personally, if I was a male that was uncut as a baby, I would not want anyone cutting skin off as an adult from my penis. But, that is because I dont especially like pain.

I guess I wouldn't mind having it done if they knocked me out first, lol

#609964 --- 07/27/07 01:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Don't forget the painkillers for AFTER!

#609965 --- 07/27/07 01:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
fingerlakeslover Offline

ah well, it's Friday...my day to end the circumcision debate, lol. Cut, uncut...mutilation, not mutilation.....just thank goodness for penises!!

#609966 --- 07/27/07 01:48 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Well, while we are on the topic...if circumcision is mutilation, what is say, having your tubes tied or a vasectomy? Just curious, not arguing.

#609967 --- 07/27/07 01:50 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Usually those are not mostly for cosmetic reasons and hopefully you are an adult making the choice when that is done.

#609968 --- 07/27/07 01:50 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Well, if it you look at it with LESS stimulation if cut, would more men like that better to extend the duration of erection?

And why do I feel like I am being naughty on the forum?

#609970 --- 07/27/07 01:52 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Usually those are not mostly for cosmetic reasons and hopefully you are an adult making the choice when that is done.

No doubt they should ONLY be decided as an adult. But, they can have the same effects, decreased sex drive, decreased lubrication, etc.

#609973 --- 07/27/07 01:55 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

There are a variety of straightforward, proven medical reasons (more convincing, or more medically defensible) for those procedures. Also, they aren't "cosmetic" as Della points out - they are internal. While I suppose any procudure that changes your body - heart transplant, removal of a lung, etc. could be considered "mutilation" those procedures aren't done "because that's how it's done".

#609977 --- 07/27/07 01:59 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I dont think ANY procedure done to a human being should be done because "that is how it is done". My ex and I discussed the procedure and did not make up our mind right away. It just came down to he was circumcized, he wanted them to be. After me researching studies on pain felt by the infant, infections from vs not having them done, etc. Believe it or not, I was not sure if we should or should not.

That is why I said it is a decision to be made by parents together.

#609979 --- 07/27/07 02:01 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Definitely the parents should decide, but I think in the years since you had your sons circumcised research has shown that the "health benefits" of circumcision aren't as "cut and dried" (no pun intended, I swear! lol) as were once thought...that's why I think it's such a relevant topic today. Especially if we are removing extremely sensitive tissue - tissue that would be comparable to clitoral tissue in a woman - then it makes the issue a little, um, fuzzier...

I'm having a hard time picking adjectives here...

#609985 --- 07/27/07 02:08 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Actually, my sons were born around the time the medical community dubbed them "medically unnecesary". My ex was in the Army, I had one son in a military hospital, they would not do the procedure there. We had to take him to a doc off post, and the waiting list was THREE MONTHS!

The second was born off base (Ft Devons MA did not have a labor and delivery floor) and was done the day after he was born. They took him from me, and about two hours later, they were not back with him. I walked down, and saw the *snip* just as I walked into the nursery area. I about passed out. Cried...cried and cried again. They assured me he was fine. I just didn't like blood, (I wasn't a nurse then...lol).

#609986 --- 07/27/07 02:10 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Three months!

Jeez.

#609988 --- 07/27/07 02:11 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

lol

Funny, I had the same thought....

I am thinking I should leave Sky's and go back to my guy friend's for more "research".....hehehehehe.

Ahem, for the good of the debate...of course. ;\)

#609992 --- 07/27/07 02:19 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

I have never seen a clown show his foreskin...now THAT would be creepy!

OMG......LMAO.

#609996 --- 07/27/07 02:31 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Yetta Nother]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

I would like to do more research on this as well.

#610150 --- 07/27/07 09:09 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
MorganHills Offline

o man, we need to tip a cuppla wines for this discussion,,,if I cruise up to AK we'll do er ;\)

#610177 --- 07/27/07 10:16 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Eomer Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Temporarily Assigned
Definitely the parents should decide, but I think in the years since you had your sons circumcised research has shown that the "health benefits" of circumcision aren't as "cut and dried" (no pun intended, I swear! lol) as were once thought...that's why I think it's such a relevant topic today. Especially if we are removing extremely sensitive tissue - tissue that would be comparable to clitoral tissue in a woman - then it makes the issue a little, um, fuzzier...

I'm having a hard time picking adjectives here...

Come on now this is no laughing matter!!!

Show a little sensativity here please!

#610190 --- 07/27/07 11:35 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

I could not imagine it being anymore sensitive if I were UnC'd.....I'd never make it out of my pants...

#610240 --- 07/28/07 07:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
I could not imagine it being anymore sensitive if I were UnC'd.....I'd never make it out of my pants...

too funny!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >