FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#608998 --- 07/25/07 11:21 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland

Originally Posted By: past tense

Why is female circumcision an unacceptable cultural practice and male circumcision acceptable? It confuses me.

A female circumcision can involve one more more of the following:

removal of the "hood" over the clitoris* I forgot about this one - but it's listed in Wikipedia

removal of the clitoris and part or whole of the labia

sewing closed (to varying degrees) the vaginal opening

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does

You think - maybe????

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

FingerLakes1.com
#609007 --- 07/25/07 11:53 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Regardless, you are still PERMANENTLY ALTERING a physical feature of one's genitalia. That is the definition of genital mutilation. I just find it interesting that we don't think much about one while we're horrified by the other.

#609019 --- 07/25/07 12:15 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Then do you also feel that piercing ones ears, nose, tongue, tattooing is also a form of mutilation? Is in permanently altering a body and making it look different.

I have a pierced ear, a tattoo (plan on getting another) and I don't feel I have mutilated my body in any way.

#609022 --- 07/25/07 12:20 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Of course they are forms of mutilation. I have three holes in one ear and two in the other, plus a navel piercing. However I CHOSE to have those done.

I think because the word "mutilation" is generally used in a negative sense you are reading it with a value judgement when there really isn't one. But any permanent change to the human body is, in fact, mutilation, including piercing and tattooing.

Edited by past tense (07/25/07 12:21 PM)

#609024 --- 07/25/07 12:25 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

You have 4 piercings? Do they allow that in Seneca Falls? lol.

Ok, then in that sense I agree with you, circumcision, piercing, tattoos are a form of altering the human body.

I guess I don't have a problem with male circumcision because I don't find where it has caused any ill effects upon my life, where the things that are done to girls are much more life threatening.

#609028 --- 07/25/07 12:33 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I just think it's a double standard. Messing with your junk is just as bad as messing with mine. IMO.

#609029 --- 07/25/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

LOL. My mind went right to the gutter. hahahaha

#609030 --- 07/25/07 12:38 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

By the way, there is no way in hell, I'm ever gonna do a piercing below the waist. I've seen guys with that and it is just down right scarey.

#609033 --- 07/25/07 12:44 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I had a boyfriend w/ one - back in the day. Wasn't half bad! lol

#609037 --- 07/25/07 12:45 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I'm shocked! Actually I have heard that it does help to improve sensitivity....Nope, still not gonna do it.

#609040 --- 07/25/07 12:47 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I wouldn't either! Ever. But ah - it was fun while it lasted? lol

He had a lot of piercings and tats. In fact, he's the one who convinced me to get my navel pierced. I've been thinking about taking it out since I'm, um, thirty.

#609044 --- 07/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Thirty? You old thing!

There's a guy that works at Spin on Park Ave. He has more piercings than I can count on his face and ears. He's a really nice guy, very friendly. We have been dying to ask him what else he has pierced.

#609046 --- 07/25/07 12:53 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

lol - Spin - is that the coffee place? I had their Blueberry Crunch whole bean in my freezer in NY - loved it! Thank goodness we can at least get good coffee here...

I'd ask him - generally people w/ that many piercings love to talk about it. I know my ex did.

#609051 --- 07/25/07 12:56 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Yes, Spin is the coffee place. I'm dying to dry the Blueberry Crunch. Every time I'm in there I usually am poor and can only afford my drink. But one of these days, I'm gonna buy a bag of it.

I would assume people with many piercings are like people with many tattoos. They are pretty proud of them.

Speaking of tattoos, I'm thinking about getting a Celtic Knot on my shoulder. The other half is thinking about the Ying Yang in the form of lizards.

#609055 --- 07/25/07 12:59 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Fancy!
I chickened out on a tat last year before moving. Maybe next time!

#609056 --- 07/25/07 01:00 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I have the one on my leg. Got it years ago. The worst part was the irritation afterwards. But it healed quickly and wasn't bad at all.

#609145 --- 07/25/07 03:04 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Every time this subject comes up - male circ. - I can't help but think about it...mostly because I never gave it much thought until I met someone who wasn't circumcised. I mean, why would I? I don't even remember one being in my health textbook or anything. Anyway, I just think it's interesting because if you think about it - absent a religions reason (which I don't necessarily think justifies the practice, but it has a basis, a reasoning, whether I agree with it or not) - we basically circumcise because that's what's done. That's what you do. That's how it's done. And I think that's kind of a crazy reason to do anything - especially something like allow a doctor to perform surgery on your newborn son's penis. It's not as routine, I think, when you consider it that way for a minute.

So I thought I'd google "botched circumcision" just to see what came up and - ew.

http://www.fathermag.com/health/circ/horror/horror.shtml

plus some "botch galleries" which - I'm sorry I visited. Won't make that mistake again.

I just really find it fascinating the way one is this huge human rights issue, but to bring up male circumcision as a human rights issue usually meets with disbelief.

#609171 --- 07/25/07 04:04 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
I believe the medical reasoning behind it it is for less infections will occur than with the foreskin..this is what ive heard

#609223 --- 07/25/07 06:44 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: donedirtcheap]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Which has pretty much been debunked. All you have to do is clean it. Is it that tough to clean? It can't take more than an extra 60 seconds.

Edited by past tense (07/25/07 06:45 PM)

#609243 --- 07/25/07 08:23 PM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Regardless, you are still PERMANENTLY ALTERING a physical feature of one's genitalia. That is the definition of genital mutilation. I just find it interesting that we don't think much about one while we're horrified by the other.

Uh huh and here again cause I think you missed it...

Now, I understand that a male circumcision does not prevent orgasm the way a female circucision does

... I would say this is why we are horrified by it. Please tell me you are not suggesting we shouldnt be????

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >