FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#608313 --- 07/24/07 05:35 AM Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
from yahoo.com:

Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread By MERAIAH FOLEY, Associated Press Writer
4 minutes ago

SYDNEY, Australia - An American health official urged international agencies Tuesday to step up their promotion of circumcision to slow the spread of HIV, saying that men without the procedure face greater risk of contracting the virus from infected female partners.

ADVERTISEMENT

The World Health Organization says male circumcision reduces the risk of female-to-male transmission of the disease by around 60 percent. But only 30 percent of men worldwide have had the procedure, mostly in countries where it is common for religious or health reasons.

Robert Bailey, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Illinois, said uncircumcised men are 2- 1/2 times more likely to contract the virus from female partners, based on testing in parts of Africa hardest-hit by the epidemic.

Bailey told a major international AIDS conference in Sydney, Australia, that world health agencies should be aggressive in implementing the procedure in light of mounting evidence of its effectiveness in preventing new HIV infections.

"Circumcision could drive the epidemic to a declining state toward extinction. ... We must make safe, affordable, voluntary circumcision available now," he said.

"But no one stands to profit from male circumcision no one but the 4,000 in Africa who will be infected tomorrow," said Bailey, who has conducted circumcision-related studies in Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia and the United States.

Circumcision, the removal of the foreskin from the penis, has long been suspected of reducing men's susceptibility to HIV infection because the skin cells in the foreskin are especially vulnerable to the virus.

The World Health Organization issued a statement in March urging heterosexual men to undergo the procedure because of compelling evidence that it reduces their risk of getting the disease.

However, it cautioned that male circumcision is not a complete protection against HIV, and said men should still use condoms and take other precautions such as abstinence, delaying the start of sexual activity and reducing the number of sexual partners.

Michel Kazatchkine, the executive director of the international health agency The Global Fund, said the organization had not received any requests for funding for circumcision, and noted that the WHO advice on the topic had only been released in March.

"I believe that the evidence is overwhelming for the efficacy of circumcision," Kazatchkine told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the meeting. "And if countries come to us ... I see no reason at all why we wouldn't fund that."

FingerLakes1.com
#608375 --- 07/24/07 06:57 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
That is an interesting article, SBJ. I'm not sure I understand why the skin on the foreskin is more susceptible to HIV infection vs the rest of the skin on the male penis. Unless, the foreskin is more likely to become irritated or raw, therefore giving a place for the HIV virus to enter the man's blood stream?

#608393 --- 07/24/07 07:18 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I am not sure why, but the article notes the skin cells of the foreskin are more susceptible to infection. I do not know why.

Both of my sons are circumcized, we did so becaue my ex hubby is also, and did not want the boys to think they were "freaks" if they ever saw his. But, the US Army would not cover circumcision in their hospitals, we had to have it done off base and pay a co-pay. Why? Because the Army felt that it was an unnecessary surgery. Foreskin, if kept clean, causes no greater risk of infection, they said. The key words, kept clean, and I have seen elderly men have to go get the procedure because they had not done so.

I always thought it was a personal choice. My brothers are not cirmcumcized. (I know because of conversations...lol) and neither are their sons. But, I chose to do so for my sons because my ex was.

This article really threw me for a loop.

But, if you think about the poverty in Africa and the level of cleanliness/hygiene associated with it (clean water supply, etc) (or lack there of), I guess it makes sense.

#608401 --- 07/24/07 07:29 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I just found it strange that the foreskin cells are more susceptible. Maybe it does have something to do with lack of cleanliness. After all, if any skin is not kept clean and dry, it will develop infections, rash, etc.

#608402 --- 07/24/07 07:30 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Oh, and thanks for the visual of your brothers! LOL.

#608404 --- 07/24/07 07:31 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Most of my gay friends go "eewwweee" when it comes to uncircumsized...

#608409 --- 07/24/07 07:48 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma
Oh, and thanks for the visual of your brothers! LOL.

Hey! I never had a viusual...dont want one...ewwwww...LOL.

#608411 --- 07/24/07 07:52 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I didn't want a visual either. Unfortunately, I tend to be a very visual person.

#608453 --- 07/24/07 10:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Not to mention that circumcision is genital mutilation.

We get so upset over this issue when it comes to discussing females, but how is it less shocking when it comes to males? I think most of us would object to the practice for a female even if it were done surgically and safely but we don't bat an eye for male children because it's done routinely, every day.

After a lot of reading on the subject over the years I think it's barbaric.

#608466 --- 07/24/07 10:47 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I think it comes down to personal choice. Though my son's could not have told me yes or no then, they tell me today they are glad they are circumcized.

I was truly shocked by this article though, as I have often read and was taught that it had no real medical necessity. Now, this report says circumcision could help decrease HIV cases.

Vedy, vedy confusing indeed.

#608469 --- 07/24/07 10:50 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
I wonder how some of the people who jumped all over that girl for the tail docking feel about circumcision...

#608475 --- 07/24/07 10:56 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Yeah, but from a gay man's stand point, an uncut one requires way too much maintenance and upkeep.

#608480 --- 07/24/07 11:00 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
TMI, please some of us lead sheltered and cut lives.

#608481 --- 07/24/07 11:01 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Della]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Della
I wonder how some of the people who jumped all over that girl for the tail docking feel about circumcision...

I'm all for circumcision. I can honestly say, if I had not been circumcised as an infant, I would have been a bit irate with my mother...

OH, and both my dogs have docked tails. It's part of the breed.

#608483 --- 07/24/07 11:01 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Buddy
TMI, please some of us lead sheltered and cut lives.

In my view, cut is necessary.

#608491 --- 07/24/07 11:07 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
I totally agree

#608499 --- 07/24/07 11:10 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: TRD_Tacoma
Originally Posted By: Della

I'm all for circumcision. I can honestly say, if I had not been circumcised as an infant, I would have been a bit irate with my mother...

OH, and both my dogs have docked tails. It's part of the breed.

If it were "part of the breed" they would be born that way. It is part of the AKC standard for the breed which they are working on changing for many breeds.

#608500 --- 07/24/07 11:11 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Buddy]
fingerlakeslover Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
to be honest, for aesthetic reasons, I prefer circumcised...is that being selfish? oh probably, but I'm being honest!

#608501 --- 07/24/07 11:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: Carerinoa]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Well, I like their little nubs. It is part of their character and fits them quite well.

#608503 --- 07/24/07 11:12 AM Re: Circumcision key to curbing AIDS spread [Re: fingerlakeslover]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: fingerlakeslover
to be honest, for aesthetic reasons, I prefer circumcised...is that being selfish? oh probably, but I'm being honest!

Not at all. I agree 100%

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >