FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#600458 --- 07/06/07 03:39 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: past tense]
mangamia Offline

Loc: NY,USA
good for you, past tense! You know I also thought of trying one just to see what it would taste like...but now that you have done it, lol...I guess I know that it will taste yucky! The Chantix is for any smoker, regardless of how many/day or how many years smoking. But the fact that you did it without any medical help is awesome. Congrats to you. How long has it been for you? Isn't nice to finally be in control? That's one of the best parts of quitting, aside from the health benefits.

FingerLakes1.com
#600460 --- 07/06/07 03:42 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: past tense]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools

#600471 --- 07/06/07 04:07 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: VM Smith]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I quit five months ago. I didn't use anything - just moving to AK!

The health benefits are huge. I hiked 15 miles on Wednesday and there is no way I could have done that five months ago.

#600565 --- 07/07/07 06:45 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: past tense]
groucho Offline

Has anyone had any side effects with Chantix other than the nausea? From what I've read on other sites there can be bone and muscle pain, anxiety and really bad GI problems.

#600774 --- 07/08/07 05:44 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: groucho]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
I noticed no ill effects at all using Chantix, and only used it for the month. I have more problems with my stomach, taking ibeprophin. I smoked about a pack a day since I was 15/16, close to 40 years. It's been just over 3 weeks, and altho I might feel like I'd like to smoke, I'm just not going to. If you're looking for a reason not to quit smoking, then don't. You'll only quit when you really want to, anyway. Actually it was only a half-hearted attempt in my case. But without the usual feelings of anxiety about the need for a cigarette, it was very easy to quit. And altho 3 weeks isn't all that long a time to be without a smoke, for me it is. So now I just choose not to smoke. What's you're choice? Are you trying to talk yourself into it, or out of it. There's worse side-effects with other drugs than with Chantix. So don't let that stop you.

#600790 --- 07/08/07 06:22 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: Ranger]
groucho Offline

I appreciate what you're saying about looking for an excuse, but my Dr. & I have found that I'm very "sensitive" to medications. It took me months to recover from the side effects of Toprol XL, a blood pressure medication. A pretty miserable time. I've tried several BP meds & seem to have finally found one that woorks for me & has no side effects, that I can find.

#600799 --- 07/08/07 06:44 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: groucho]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Then, I'd suggest that if you really want to quit smoking you will. I know it's not easy but I also know it can be done. I was a three pack a day smoker when I quit...cold turkey...no excuses...so I KNOW it can be done. Just throw away what you have and tough out the first two weeks...actually the first three days are the hardest...but that two week hurdle really does seem to make a difference...then 1 month...then 2 months...well you get the picture. Sometimes it helps to just take it one step at a time....like: I'm not gonna smoke today until AFTER I have my coffee...and then...well maybe not until AFTER I have breakfast and clean up the kitchen...then ohhhh I'll brush my teeth and call "Aunt Sally" or whomever...what I found was that often brushing my teeth and postponing the cigarette I wanted by assuring myself I COULD have it later...got me over the hump. Honestly, Groucho...you can do it.

#600996 --- 07/08/07 04:31 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Oompa Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
If you have smoked for 40 years, why quit now? the damage is done and there is not enough time to recover your body from the years of abuse. You should just keep smoking and enjoying that as one of your small life pleasures.......smoke smoke that cigarette.....

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read, and totally untrue.

#601184 --- 07/09/07 09:57 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: Oompa]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
a friend is very senitive to meds and Chantix didn't both her at all ... that was one that we were worried about with her .... but nope nothing .... she is doing fine

#601188 --- 07/09/07 10:01 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: reilley]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

PT its for any smoker .... and my motivation ...... 7 grandkids

#601261 --- 07/09/07 12:14 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: reilley]
groucho Offline

Originally Posted By: reilley
a friend is very senitive to meds and Chantix didn't both her at all ... that was one that we were worried about with her .... but nope nothing .... she is doing fine

I can't even take benadryl. Makes me very anxious, which the Yoprol XL did, after I'd been on it a year. Made a couple of trips to the ER & then the anxiety got so bad, I couldn't stand it. Benzos wouldn't touch it, and after checking on askapatient.com, I discovered that about 1 in 3 who were on the Toprol, long term, had the same problem.

#601270 --- 07/09/07 12:34 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: groucho]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

just try it ... your dr knows history , if you get a reaction ...which I don't think you will (unless you work your self up to a hyper state which people can do with out knowing it ) if you want to quit ... try it ..have your dr give you a two week script cause it is expensive see how it works .. i got a upset stomach eating or not but I get that with anything I ingest . Good luck ..try it ....

#601279 --- 07/09/07 01:23 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: reilley]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
If you can't take medicine and you want to stop smoking you have to do it cold turkey. Period.

In order to quit smoking you spend day after day NOT lighting a cigarette. That's the long and short of it.

#601686 --- 07/10/07 11:58 AM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: past tense]
mangamia Offline

Chantix has no ill effects with any other medication that you may be taking, so that will not be a problem at all. The Chantix itself may cause nausea, and not an all day thing, but maybe 20 min out of your day...a small price to may to stop smoking as easily as Chantix allows you to. There may be a fleeting moment of wanting a cigarette, but, wow, no crazy anxiety, no withdrawal....it can't get any easier than this! I went into this half-heartedly, too....but to my surprise, I quit! It feels so good to say that. If you're on blood pressure meds, Groucho, it's most likely a very good idea to quit smoking as soon as possible. Good luck.

#601700 --- 07/10/07 12:16 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: mangamia]
groucho Offline

I do appreciate the input, especially that it seems easy to quit smoking with Chantix. I had also inquired about surgery for snoring, but I thought, since my wife has been after me for years to quit, that stopping smoking, in itself, might be enough to tone down the buzz saw. I won't be able to see the Dr this week, but maybe next week. Just wish my wife and I weren't under so much stress right now, which may not help with my quitting. It's got to do with our adult daughter and her husband, but that's a story that belongs on Jerry Springer, not here.

#601705 --- 07/10/07 12:24 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: groucho]
mangamia Offline

lol, speaking of snoring...my hubby said I haven't snored since I stopped smoking! woohoo! So there ya go...it might just help a lot just to stop and not need anything else. Won't know until ya try. And as far as the stress goes....there will never be a time in your life that will be without stress completely...I hope you see your doctor next week and talk to him/her about it.

#601706 --- 07/10/07 12:26 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: mangamia]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
besides you can use the money from not buying smokes for some killer new clothes for Jerry!!

#601713 --- 07/10/07 01:07 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: Della]
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Look on the bright side...it's the best time of year for quitting. Feeling stressed? Take a nice long walk and enjoy the summer, it'll be gone before we know it.

#601766 --- 07/10/07 02:41 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: ~Ellie~]
reilley Offline
Silver Member

i read somewhere that if you want to smoke ..take a walk ,it helps ... i did that the other nite (morning really) at 3 am ... so out the door i went in my jammies and flashlight... kinda scary out there when you don't know what some of those sounds are... like what sounds do deer make , do they talk to each other ..lol jk

#602135 --- 07/11/07 12:00 PM Re: Stopping smoking with Chantix [Re: reilley]
Oompa Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes, NY
OK people... I am proud to say this: Sun 1 1/2 smokes, Mon 1 smoke, Tuesday & Today- NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >