FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#598653 --- 07/02/07 11:57 PM This is tragic
Aces_Up Offline

Loc: Nunja Business
This happened in Kentucky. That poor little girl. My heart just got a shock when I heard and read about this.

READ HERE

Kings Island ride shut down after accident in Kentucky
Friday, June 22, 2007 11:47 AM

A popular amusement park ride at Kings Island is shut down today after a girl's feet were severed on a similar ride in Kentucky yesterday.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. shut down five similar rides on its 12 properties and is having them inspected. All were made by the European manufacturer Intamin, which also constructed the Kentucky ride.

A 13-year-old girl was on the Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville when a cable apparently wrapped around her legs and severed them above the ankle. The accident happened around 4:45 p.m. yesterday.

The ride lifts passengers 177 feet straight up, then drops 154 feet, reaching a speed of 54 mph, according to the park's Web site.

Craig Ross, spokesman for Kings Island just north of Cincinnati, said Intamin contacted Cedar Fair last night and asked that the rides be shut down.

Drop Zone at Kings Island opened in 1999, and there have been no accidents reported on the ride.

Cedar Point has two similar rides, Demon Drop and Power Tower. They were not made by Intamin and remained open today.

Ross said all rides at Cedar Fair parks are inspected daily.

FingerLakes1.com
#598658 --- 07/03/07 12:10 AM Re: This is tragic [Re: Aces_Up]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
HOLY CRAP!

Poor girl, I hope she recovers from this. It's like something out of a horror flick!

#599069 --- 07/03/07 07:46 PM Re: This is tragic [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Teacup Ride Puts Girl In Intensive Care
AP
Posted: 2007-07-03 13:46:24
Filed Under: Nation
DANIA BEACH, Fla. (July 2) - A 13-year-old girl was hospitalized after hitting her head while on a spinning teacup ride at an amusement park.

Photo Gallery: Amusement Park Accidents
CNN A 13-year-old girl hit her head Thursday while riding the Magic Teacup at Boomers amusement park near Fort Lauderdale, Fla. As of Monday, she was in intensive care.
< Previous 1 of 7 Next >
Natashia West was injured Thursday on the Magic Teacup ride at Boomers, just south of Fort Lauderdale. She remained sedated in intensive care Monday with head injuries.

"All I want is for her to be the same little girl she was," said Donnie Jackson, her father.

The ride carries passengers inside round cups. At the center of each cup is a wheel riders can turn to control how fast it spins. It was not clear how Natashia hit her head or what part of the ride she hit it on.

State officials inspected the ride Friday and found no mechanical problems, agency spokesman Terence McElroy said.

The department has not concluded its investigation but expects to release a report later this week. The ride was cleared by the department to open but remained closed Monday, McElroy said. A routine inspection by the department in April also found the ride to have no mechanical problems.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-07-03 09:14:54

#599081 --- 07/03/07 08:06 PM Re: This is tragic [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
This is just ridiculous. I cannot imagine the pain this poor little girl went through.

#599086 --- 07/03/07 08:09 PM Re: This is tragic [Re: Yetta Nother]
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
And i thought news was slow in the UP. This happened two weeks ago.