FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#596009 --- 06/27/07 12:51 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: past tense]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: past tense

But of course, any excuse to whine about/dig at SC.

Yeah the first time that has ever happend
AMF

FingerLakes1.com
#596010 --- 06/27/07 12:51 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: past tense]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Yeah the first time that has ever happend
AMF

#596013 --- 06/27/07 12:54 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: BraveHeart]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I know it's not the first time - that's why I said ANY excuse.

I just think stealing and election fraud are a big deal and I don't care if anyone - SC or otherwise - "promised" something bigger at some point in time.

It's a sad thing because we pride ourselves on our political process in this country. Corruption is corruption and whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony or something that goes unpunished that we never know about, it's disheartening to me.

But of course, the important thing is that SC was "wrong" or whatever. THAT'S the important part.

#596014 --- 06/27/07 12:54 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: BraveHeart]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
I'm curious,is the judge a republican?
and just because the little NAZI got off easy doesnt mean he hasnt been pulling strings and intimidating and coercing people in the party for a LONG TIME... if you dont think he has, then I have some prime ocean front property for sale near Denver for anyone interested..

#596015 --- 06/27/07 12:55 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: Jelloshot]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

"But of course, the important thing is that SC was "wrong" or whatever. THAT'S the important part. "

That is true ;o)
AMF

#596016 --- 06/27/07 12:56 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: Jelloshot]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

And what if the judge was a < gasp > democrat.

Maybe he got his strings pulled.
AMF

#596019 --- 06/27/07 12:56 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: past tense]
Gold Member

Yeah, but who cares about what South county said was "going to happen"? This HAPPENED and it's a big deal.

LOL - I love the "so what he had to leave office, he was leaving anyway" line though. That's rich! lol

Personally, I think 30 days in jail would have been a much more significant punishment. He got his wrist slapped.

#596020 --- 06/27/07 12:57 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I was surprised at the sentence. It's light.

#596022 --- 06/27/07 12:58 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

I'm just curious, and I'm sure the DA had agreed to the outcome or "deal"

#596023 --- 06/27/07 12:59 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: past tense]
Gold Member

And that's what makes it seem to some like "no big deal".

I didn't even see anything about returning the money to its intended recipient.

#596024 --- 06/27/07 01:00 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

I would have expected a stiffer sentence.
AMF

#596026 --- 06/27/07 01:03 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Gold Member

another excerpt from the FLT article

Tunney was named special
prosecutor in May 2005.
He acknowledged that there
may be criticism of the disposition
but said he’s not
going to lose sleep over it.
“If somebody with as
much information or knowledge
with the situation that
I have wants to discuss the
matter, perhaps we can
have a meaningful conversation,”
he said. “For all
anybody knows, this conviction
was the highest possible
offense under the circumstances.
People are in
no position to draw conclusions.
I understand it may
occur. This was a considered
disposition and under the
circumstances, an appropriate
one.”

#596030 --- 06/27/07 01:06 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: past tense]
Gold Member

I know it's not the first time - that's why I said ANY excuse.

I just think stealing and election fraud are a big deal and I don't care if anyone - SC or otherwise - "promised" something bigger at some point in time.

It's a sad thing because we pride ourselves on our political process in this country. Corruption is corruption and whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony or something that goes unpunished that we never know about, it's disheartening to me.

But of course, the important thing is that SC was "wrong" or whatever. THAT'S the important part.

He wasn't charged with "stealing and election fraud" (THOSE were some of the charges made by your close friend, SC).

From the FLT

Seneca County
Republican Committee Chairman
Angelo Bianchi was charged Monday
with violating state election
law by improperly diverting campaign
contributions.

#596032 --- 06/27/07 01:09 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Well I'll bet that it wasn’t the highest conviction possible , maybe just the easiest one to prove, and the key words being "the deal", but hey something is better than nothing, and getting him out of office and out of the party committee is probably the best thing to happen to the SRC in a loooong time. It appears that part of the deal is the end of his political career, am I correct in that assumption?

#596034 --- 06/27/07 01:14 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
"For all anybody knows, this conviction was the highest possible
offense under the circumstances."

What the heck is that? Is that a nice way of saying, we (politicians) are all covering each others' backsides and you can't prove otherwise?

#596035 --- 06/27/07 01:16 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: Greymane]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Greymane

It means it the highest possible conviction that they could fully prosecute on without a long drawn out trial, imo.

#596037 --- 06/27/07 01:16 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

He's expressed his willingness to discuss his decision.

“If somebody with as
much information or knowledge
with the situation that
I have wants to discuss the
matter, perhaps we can
have a meaningful conversation,”

#596039 --- 06/27/07 01:19 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Gold Member

They finally got the whole article online.

WEDNESDAY JUNE 27, 2007 Last modified: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:43 AM CDT

Seneca GOP boss to resign: Bianchi pleads guilty to diverting campaign contributions

By DENISE M. CHAMPAGNE

JUNIUS - Seneca County Republican Committee Chairman Angelo Bianchi was charged Monday with violating state election law by improperly diverting campaign contributions.

He pleaded guilty to the Class A misdemeanor Monday in Junius Town Court and has until July 31 to step down. His resignation is part of a plea deal between his attorney, David Rothenberg of Rochester, and special prosecutor John Tunney, district attorney of Steuben County.

Bianchi, chairman of the Republican Party since 1993, admitted depositing nine checks - totaling $5,450 and intended for state Sen. Michael Nozzolio's re-election campaign - into his own accounts between Jan. 1, 2003, and Dec. 31, 2004, and redistributing the money to various campaigns in his own name, disguising the identity of the original contributors.

Tunney said Election Law requires contributions be recorded in the name of the actual donor.

The checks were from:

Clough Harbour & Associates, $1,500.

Larry Fairchild, $500.

Raymond Gardeski, $500.

William Lucarelli, $500.

BBL PAC (political action committee), $400 and $750.

Thomas Tortora, $500.

Leo Connolly, $500. (Connolly was elected sheriff during that time, taking office on Jan. 1, 2004)

And Donald Decicca, $300.

Tunney said motive was not discussed. He acknowledged there were more checks to other parties but would not give totals.

“There were lots of political entities who received money from political donations from Mr. Bianchi,” Tunney said. “I'm not going to begin naming them all anymore than I'm going to name the folks who made political contributions. I'm not going to talk about who gave and who didn't.”

Contacted this morning, Connolly said that during his professional life, he's “made a number of contributions to many political organizations.”

Nozzolio had no comment and referred all questions to Tunney. Bianchi did not return phone calls Tuesday and this morning.

Depositions from Justin McCarthy, Nozzolio's campaign coordinator, and State Police Sr. Inv. Christopher Baldwin were among the documents presented to Junius Justice Brian Laird.

“To my knowledge, the campaign has never received the funds,” noted the deposition by McCarthy. “Angelo Bianchi was not authorized by the campaign committee to deposit any donations to (Nozzolio's) accounts or any other accounts. If he did accept checks made payable to Nozzolio for Senate, I would expect those checks to be delivered to the campaign committee for official deposit and disclosure.”

Laird said he was called Monday afternoon and asked if he could do an arraignment. He said he could at 6 p.m. but was not told what it pertained to.

Tunney and Rothenberg said Laird was picked as a neutral party who has not had past dealings with Bianchi.

“That was an acceptable venue for resolving this matter,” said Rothenberg. “It's a misdemeanor. Any town court is fine. We didn't want to involve a town court where Mr. Bianchi had been actively involved in anyone's campaign.”

“I would like to stress what he pleaded to was a technical violation of the very complicated election law for which he's very sorry,” Rothenberg added. “He expressed that. All of the contributions went to the Republican Party.”

Bianchi, 70, of 1715 County House Road, Fayette, was accompanied to court by his wife, Judith, and Rothenberg. He was not brought in by police, although Baldwin also appeared.

Laird fined Bianchi $100 and imposed several conditions.

Bianchi is barred from membership in the Republican Committee and directly or indirectly trying to influence its activities, including decisions about candidates to support.

He is not to handle political contributions or be a signatory for any account set up for political funds.

Bianchi also waived his right to appeal.

Tunney said the deal satisfies any other potential criminal charges - provided Bianchi adheres to the conditions - and concludes his grand jury investigation.

A concurrent grand jury investigation by Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo, involving possible wrongdoing within the Seneca County sheriff's department, is expected to wrap soon.

Bianchi's resignation has party leaders checking into procedures on how to appoint a replacement.

“I'm obviously disappointed in what's taken place,” Republican Committee First Vice Chair Michael O'Brien said this morning. “The committee at hand will go ahead and have a meeting and they will decide who will be the next chairman.”

O'Brien said he's not interested in the position and plans to get out of politics when his term as town councilman expires in 2009.

“I don't know what to make of it,” said Kathryn Peterson, second vice chair of the county Republican Committee. “This has never happened in the Republican Party before.”

Ted Young, chairman of the Seneca County Democratic Committee, had no comment.

“That's all their business,” he said this morning.

Tunney was named special prosecutor in May 2005. He acknowledged that there may be criticism of the disposition but said he's not going to lose sleep over it.

“If somebody with as much information or knowledge with the situation that I have wants to discuss the matter, perhaps we can have a meaningful conversation,” he said. “For all anybody knows, this conviction was the highest possible offense under the circumstances. People are in no position to draw conclusions. I understand it may occur. This was a considered disposition and under the circumstances, an appropriate one.”

Tantillo, who was appointed special prosecutor to investigate the sheriff's department, wouldn't comment about the Bianchi case.

“It's not my case,” Tantillo said. “It's inappropriate for me to comment about [Tunney's] case, and it would be inappropriate for him to comment about mine.”

Regarding his own investigation, Tantillo would only confirm that the grand jury term ends next Tuesday but he could request that it be extended if necessary.

For the past six months, Tantillo has been meeting with the grand jury almost weekly. Several members of the sheriff's department, county supervisors and staff members have testified since it convened in January.

State police began investigating the sheriff's department after a Feb. 3, 2006, fire at the former Seneca Army Depot that destroyed sheriff's department equipment, evidence and a vehicle.

Times staff writer Craig Fox contributed to this story.

dchampagne@fltimes.com

#596041 --- 06/27/07 01:22 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: ]
Bodyguard Offline

Loc: Geneva, N.Y.
PT > Quote

SC has always been wrong.It's a good thing SC doesn't live in a glass house!

#596044 --- 06/27/07 01:23 PM Re: Angelo Bianchi Arrested, Pleads Guilty [Re: Greymane]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Greymane

What the heck is that? Is that a nice way of saying, we (politicians) are all covering each others' backsides and you can't prove otherwise?

Quote:
Tunney said the deal satisfies any other potential criminal charges - provided Bianchi adheres to the conditions - and concludes his grand jury investigation.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >