FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 82 of 83 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 >
Topic Options
#750659 --- 02/10/08 05:24 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
BAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHA!

He still does not see that he is the one who misquoted Petraeus statement.

I believe as you told someone else, rbs'er...you need to get your meds checked.

FingerLakes1.com
#750662 --- 02/10/08 05:38 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

And because you didn't listen to the video I posted, try to read...take your time...sound out each word, rbs'er.

September 11, 2007
Read More: Iraq

Petraeus now thinks Iraq war has made America safer

In response to a question from Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), following up on an earlier question from Warner (see post below), Petraeus amended his answer to say yes, America is safer thanks to the Iraq war.

Petraeus clearly bungled this question from Warner earlier, and anti-war groups are already circulating the video of his "I don't know" response.

Bayh, a pretty conservative Democrat, asked if he could "follow up on an excellent question by Sen. Warner -- are safer now?"

Petraeus, who had been testifying for eight and half hours now, pounced on the opportunity to revise his response, explaining that he was basically surprised when Warner asked it originally.

"I think we have very, very clear national interests in Iraq," Petraeus said. "The answer ... is yes."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0907/Petraeus_now_thinks_Iraq_war_has_made_America_safer.html

#750676 --- 02/10/08 06:09 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Right. The White House fell on him like a ton of bricks so he said the political thing they wanted him to say.
To say he bungled the question is true only in the poliotical sense. He told the truth and then had to say he didn't mean what he said.
The fact is that he did say he didn't know if the war was making the US safer. Clear and true.

Edited by Retired Soldier (02/10/08 06:10 PM)

#750679 --- 02/10/08 06:17 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Retired Soldier
The fact is that he did say he didn't know if the war was making the US safer.

Yet you had him saying:

Even General Petreaus says the war in Iraq is not making us safer? ?

Do you see YOUR misrepresentation yet? Saying he did not know is not the same as "it is not making us safer".

Capiche?

(Anyone else thinking "who's on 1st" here?) \:\/

#750749 --- 02/10/08 08:56 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

I have been through this before. If the war was making us safer he would have said he was. He avoided the question by saying he did not know, but by saying he did not know he admitted it wasn't.
I have long realized you are living in a parallel universe. Your support for the war solely because your son is there proved that to me.
At this point, even a minority of military families support the war. They see the cost after every rotation and realize that the results have not been worth the price.

#750801 --- 02/11/08 12:59 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
Seized Docs Show Al Qaeda in Iraq Is Weakened
Sunday, February 10, 2008

Feb. 8: A U.S. soldier with the 2nd Battalion, 319th Airborne Field, studies a map as he patrols the Azamiyah neighborhood in north Baghdad, Iraq.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/344186/0_61_iraq_top_medium.jpg

BAGHDAD — A diary and another document seized during U.S. raids show some Al Qaeda in Iraq leaders fear the terror group is crumbling, with many fighters defecting to American-backed neighborhood groups, the U.S. military said Sunday.

The military revealed two documents discovered by American troops in November: a 39-page memo written by a mid- to high-level Al Qaeda official with knowledge of the group's operations in Iraq's western Anbar province, and a 16-page diary written by another group leader north of Baghdad.

Click here for the English translation of the diary. (PDF)
http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/021008_AbuTariqDiary.pdf

Click here for the original version of the diary. (PDF)

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Abu_Tariq_Diary_-_Redacted_lowres.pdf

In the Anbar document, the author describes an Al Qaeda in crisis, with citizens growing weary of militants' presence and foreign fighters too eager to participate in suicide missions rather than continuing to fight, said Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, a U.S. military spokesman.

"We lost cities and afterward, villages... We find ourselves in a wasteland desert," Smith quoted the document as saying.

The memo — believed to have been written in summer 2007 — cites militants' increasing difficulty in moving around and transporting weapons and suicide belts because of better equipped Iraqi police and more watchful citizens, Smith said.

Click here for video.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.h...1&News&43&&&new

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

#750896 --- 02/11/08 05:38 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: SkySoldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Senior Taliban Member, Mansoor Dadullah, Killed in Pakistan Raid
Monday, February 11, 2008

Associated Press

QUETTA, Pakistan — Pakistani security forces killed a top figure in the Taliban militia fighting U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, and captured four other militants Monday, a military official said.

Mansoor Dadullah, brother of the Taliban's slain military commander Mullah Dadullah, was among five militants captured after a shootout near a seminary in Zhob district of southwestern Baluchistan province around 10 a.m., a local intelligence official told The Associated Press.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330274,00.html

#750979 --- 02/11/08 08:12 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

The Army alone has a $72 billion bill for new equipment waiting for the next president. The bush administration has put it off for political reasons.

War Demands Strain Military Readiness
Associated Press | February 09, 2008
WASHINGTON - A classified Pentagon assessment concludes that long battlefield tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, along with persistent terrorist activity and other threats, have prevented the U.S. military from improving its ability to respond to any new crisis, The Associated Press has learned.

Despite security gains in Iraq, there is still a "significant" risk that the strained U.S. military cannot quickly and fully respond to another outbreak elsewhere in the world, according to the report.

Last year the Pentagon raised that threat risk from "moderate" to "significant." This year, the report will maintain that "significant" risk level - pointing to the U.S. military's ongoing struggle against a stubborn insurgency in Iraq and its lead role in the NATO-led war in Afghanistan.

The Pentagon, however, will say that efforts to increase the size of the military, replace equipment and bolster partnerships overseas will help lower the risk over time, defense officials said Friday. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the classified report.

#750982 --- 02/11/08 08:16 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Yeh, and Congress hasn't been holding on to a spending bill for last year, which includes the pay raises for our military and necessary items for their safety and wellbeing in warzones. Real good way of showing the troops you DO support them.

#750984 --- 02/11/08 08:18 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Now Gates is trying to tell Europeans that Iraq is not Afghanistan. Afghanistan is an important part of the war on terror. Iraq is....

Gates Cites Europe's Anger Over War
Associated Press | February 09, 2008
MUNICH, Germany - Lingering anger in Europe over the U.S. invasion of Iraq explains why some allies are reluctant to heed U.S. calls for more combat troops in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Friday. It was his first public acknowledgment of such a link to the Iraq war.

Gates said he would attempt in a speech here Sunday at an international security conference to decouple perceptions of the Iraq war, in which NATO has no fighting role, from views of Afghanistan, where NATO is in charge of the fighting but has fallen short on commanders' requests for more troops.

On a flight to Munich from Vilnius, Lithuania, where he attended two days of NATO talks dominated by Afghanistan, Gates associated Iraq with what lay behind Europe's general skepticism about fighting in Afghanistan.

"From our perspective, I worry that for many Europeans the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan are confused," he told reporters traveling with him, implicitly acknowledging a political cost of the Iraq invasion.

"I think they combine the two," he added. "Many of them I think have a problem with our involvement in Iraq and project that to Afghanistan and don't understand the very different - for them - very different kind of threat" posed by al-Qaida in Afghanistan, as opposed to the militant group in Iraq that goes by the same name and is thought to be led by foreign terrorists linked to al-Qaida.

#750996 --- 02/11/08 08:49 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Your point? Oh, you don't have one. Because you don't read very well. I don't see where he calls either Afghanistan or Iraq more important than the other. You are whacked....nothing new there.

#751001 --- 02/11/08 09:08 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

I forgot. Your fourth grade reading comprehension does limit your ability to understand these things. Others have no problem understanding it.

#751010 --- 02/11/08 09:17 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Others have no problem understanding it.

Nope, just you...as usual.

#751016 --- 02/11/08 09:51 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Last modified Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:33 PM PST

Marine Corps Commandant General James T. Conway talks about the current status of the Marine Corps during an interview with the North County Times at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar on Saturday.

Top Marine warns against leaving Iraq too soon

By: MARK WALKER - Staff Writer
Gen. James Conway says ongoing conflicts are just the opening battles in war on terror

MIRAMAR MARINE CORPS AIR STATION ---- Withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq without a clear victory in hand would be a strategic mistake with disastrous long-term consequences, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway said in an exclusive interview Saturday.
"We can't back away," Conway said. "Some people think we can walk away, but we can't. If we do, it will not be the world that we knew and loved before all this started."

In the region to visit Camp Pendleton and Miramar and speak at a defense industry gathering, Conway sat down with the North County Times for an hourlong interview Saturday.

He discussed a wide array of issues, including training, weapons and an upcoming weight-loss plan to get what he called "puffy Marines" in fighting trim.

The long war
The four-star general said the fight against al-Qaida and insurgents in Iraq and the Taliban in Afghanistan are only opening battles in an international war on terror that could last two decades or more.
"We can argue about how we got in this fight, but that is old news," Conway said. "This is a fight between us and religious extremism."
Conway shied away from directly addressing the pledges by Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama to remove troops from Iraq. Instead, he stressed his view of the conflicts.

"I think we are in the first battles of the long war," he said. "People talk about the war in Iraq or the war in Afghanistan. I don't think those are wars ---- they are the first battles we are experiencing."

Defeating extremist movements could take "inside of 30 years" if nations now sympathetic to that view don't adopt new policies, said Conway.

"These people will play a whack-a-mole game with us," he said. "Where we squeeze them, they will go someplace else and then we will have to go there. Other nations will have to help us defeat the enemy and discourage their people from accepting the philosophy of extremism."

That is happening in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and to some extent in Pakistan, he said.

In many parts of Iraq, such as the Anbar province where about 11,000 Camp Pendleton and Miramar Marines and sailors are serving, Conway said al-Qaida has "overplayed its hand."

"They've been exposed and people have looked behind the cover and don't like what they see."

To turn the tide and shorten the length of the global conflict, Islamic moderates need to be nurtured, he said.

"We have got to empower the moderates within their religion," Conway said. "For us as Westerners to try and kill or capture the extremists, it will probably take a long time. But if we can get moderates to join the effort, it could wrap up much more quickly."

Anbar and Afghanistan
The shift in Anbar over the last year, which has seen Sunni tribes turn against al-Qaida and more Iraqi army battalions assume responsibility for security, continues to fuel unresolved questions about the Marine Corps' role in the once-volatile province.

Conway cited an anecdote Defense Secretary Robert Gates shared after a recent trip to Iraq.

"He talked to a corporal who said there's nobody to shoot anymore," Conway said

Last year, the commandant proposed shifting his troops from Iraq to Afghanistan, to reorient the Marines back to its core mission of invasion and combat and away from the long-term civil affairs effort in Iraq.

Conway dismissed reports last week that Sunni insurgents believe they can regain the support of Anbar's population through continued reductions in violence.

"It's too late," he said. "The Sunnis, and arguably the Iraqi population in general, have turned away from the al-Qaida movement in Iraq. They've looked into the abyss ---- the campaign of murder and intimidation ---- and they don't like what they see."
Another Petraeus report
Conway said the short-term future for Marines in Anbar depends on what Gen. David Petraeus, the overall U.S. commander, says he needs when he reports to Congress this spring. Conway said he does not believe the Marines will be sent to other trouble spots north and south of Baghdad.

If he can substantially cut troop levels in Iraq, Conway said he may propose large Marine units join the Army in rotating into Afghanistan.

The commandant said he continues to discuss Afghanistan with Gates even though the secretary rejected Conway's original pitch last fall. In January, Gates responded to pleas from commanders for more troops in Afghanistan by ordering 3,200 Marines there this spring. The assignment came after some NATO countries balked at sending more of their troops.

The Afghanistan assignment for Marines has been billed as a "one-time only" assignment in order to quell a springtime surge by the Taliban being forecast by military planners. But Conway is not backing away from his original idea, saying he could see a continuing role for a substantial number of Marines in Afghanistan.
Conway also said it would take a few more years ---- and the service's planned expansion from fewer than 190,000 Marines today to 202,000 ---- to refocus the Corps as a ship-borne expeditionary force ready to respond to trouble around the world.

'Puffy Marines'
On the home front, Conway said he would continue his campaign to improve the appearance of Marines. Last year, he banned tattoos on the neck and below the elbow.

By this summer, a new policy setting weight standards for Marines proportional to height will take effect.

"I see some Marines that are pretty puffy and we need to get away from that," said Conway. "That's not who we are, and even though it's sort of a national problem, it's not one we need accept."

Overweight troops able to score high enough to pass current fitness exams are in the crosshairs, he said.

"We are going to say that you need to be within height and weight standards," he said, "and if not, we are going to take a close look at your body makeup."

Age and gender will be considered, but troops deemed overweight will be given 60 days to meet the expected standard. Marines who fail a re-examination will receive a cautionary letter and another two months to make weight. Those who fail a second time will be put on a formal weight-loss program overseen by their commander.

"That will then be reflected in their record and that is not healthy for promotion, school selection or things like that," Conway said.

Around the Horn
On other issues, Conway said:

The Corps continues to improve its screening for and treatment of traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder. Five to 10 percent of Marines returning from Iraq have symptoms of the brain injury, usually caused by explosions, while the number of post-traumatic stress cases has increased from 596 in 2004 to 1,869 in 2007, according to figures obtained from the Marine Corps last week.

Additional Marines could be sent to the Horn of Africa to help those nations improve their security forces.

The service is speeding development of high-tech training using simulators for ground forces.

Miramar almost certainly will be home of the first West Coast Osprey aircraft unit around 2010.

More programs and funding for family support programs in response to deployment stress are in the works.

Contact staff writer Mark Walker at (760) 740-3529 or mlwalker@nctimes.com.

#751076 --- 02/11/08 11:30 AM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

February 11th, 2008
Northern Iraq operation ‘on track’ but Mosul remains major hot spot
Posted: 10:30 AM ET
BAGHDAD (CNN) — The commander of U.S. troops in northern Iraq says the four-province military sweep against al Qaeda in Iraq insurgents in the restive region north of Baghdad has been achieving success and is “on track.”

But Mosul — the city where Iraqi military leaders are planning an offensive — remains a tough, complicated trouble spot, said Maj. Gen. Mark Hertling, speaking Monday to reporters at the Pentagon from Iraq.

He discussed Operation Iron Harvest, kicked off about six weeks ago in Nineveh, Salaheddin, Diyala and Tameem provinces. He said there have been 74 operations at the company level and above. More than 70 high-value insurgents have been captured or killed, he said, and hundreds of “enemy fighters” have been captured or killed.

#751252 --- 02/11/08 04:35 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I have been through this before. If the war was making us safer he would have said he was. He avoided the question by saying he did not know, but by saying he did not know he admitted it wasn't.
I have long realized you are living in a parallel universe. Your support for the war solely because your son is there proved that to me. At this point, even a minority of military families support the war. They see the cost after every rotation and realize that the results have not been worth the price.

Funny, he didn't serve in Iraq until 2007 to present day. I have supported the war since the beginning. \:\/

#751254 --- 02/11/08 04:36 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

He also did not join the Army until July 2003, by delayed entry. He went active duty in July 2004. So...what now, rbs'er? \:\/

#751259 --- 02/11/08 04:46 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

I rest my case. Most Mothers I know have taken a different approach. A majority of military families, like a majority of Americans, no longer think the Iraq war was worth fighting.
Some people are intelligent enough to realize they have been wrong and change. Some stick their heads in the sand along with a failed president and support the unsupportable.

#751262 --- 02/11/08 04:48 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Please rest your case, you don't have one. Thank you for throwing in the towel.

#751265 --- 02/11/08 04:50 PM Re: The reason we are WINNING in Afghanistan and I [Re: Retired Soldier]
SkySoldier Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Finger Lakes National Forest, ...
How is that sand you got your ugly butted face buried in rbser?

Can you hear the ocean?

We can fix that.

America is not THE problem.

Next time. Vote for the AMERICAN.

Page 82 of 83 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 >