FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#583173 --- 05/30/07 01:20 PM Serious Mcy vs Car Accident
AreaNews Offline

Loc: new york
At this time, Routes 5&20 is being shut down at Border City Rd / 5&20 East, at Brewer Rd / 5&20 West and at Edwards Rd / Packwood Rd South. There is a serious motorcycle vs car accident at Packwood road and Rts 5&20. One person down not breathing and another barely breathing.

FingerLakes1.com
#583177 --- 05/30/07 01:23 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: AreaNews]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
damn thats like the 5th or 6th in a few days in the area. bummer.

#583178 --- 05/30/07 01:24 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Jelloshot]
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
Damn

#583186 --- 05/30/07 01:32 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Spencer~1/06/07]
Gold Member

Any bets that it's another "I didn't see the motorcycle" incident?

#583200 --- 05/30/07 01:47 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: ]
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
Sad

#583202 --- 05/30/07 01:49 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Spencer~1/06/07]
goingcrazyinny Offline

Loc: NY
Prayers for all involved.....
Please RIDE SAFE!!!!

#583234 --- 05/30/07 02:47 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: goingcrazyinny]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Prayers to the friends and family. Please everyone BE CAREFUL. Look twice. It only takes a second.

#583271 --- 05/30/07 03:51 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Yetta Nother]
AreaNews Offline

Loc: new york
Routes 5&20 are now reopened. The operator of the motorcycle is deceased.

#583275 --- 05/30/07 03:53 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: AreaNews]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
That's a shame. We've noticed the high # of these accidents lately. In addition to car drivers being more cautious I think it's only fair to ask motorcycle drivers to also be more careful. Car drivers do NOT cause all motorcycle accidents.

Bikers up here don't have to wear helmets - and most of them don't.

#583277 --- 05/30/07 03:59 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
Jake's Mom Offline

Loc: NC
So sad I take that corner(Packwood and 5&20) everyday ,it can be tough to get out on the main road this time of day and people get to inpatient. I've seen too many close calls there between all types of vehicles.People need to pay attention and slow down a bit.Prayers to all invovled.

#583279 --- 05/30/07 04:04 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
Night prowler Offline

Loc: ny
You're right PT, I have seen guy's on bikes do some stupid things as well. I think you should have to wear a helmet, not because it should be a law, It is the smart thing to do. I hate to see harm to people. I wish there were more enforcement of the traffic laws, maybe people would pay a little more attention.

#583280 --- 05/30/07 04:10 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Night prowler]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I am sure there is nothing like the feeling of the wind ripping through your hair but by the same token there's probably nothing quite like the feeling of pavement against your head, either. Motorcycles are scary - I understand the appeal, for sure, not for me though - and all due precaution should be taken by everyone on the road. Very sad.

#583289 --- 05/30/07 04:40 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
Andy Offline

Loc: I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
Where does it say this poor fellow wasn't wearing a helmet? I'm willing to bet that if he was on the highway he most likely had one on, it IS the law in NY. I bet this was somebody in a car trying to pull out of packwood rd, and gunned it right in front of the bike. That is my biggest fear when I ride, exactly that type of accident. You have to ride assuming the other guy is going to do something stupid; and if you're lucky, he won't. Deepest sympathies to all involved in this accident.

#583291 --- 05/30/07 04:52 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: Andy]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

It doesn't. The subject came up, as it is related to biking and biker safety. It's obvious no one stated, or otherwise implied, that the specific individual in this accident was not wearing one. But I think it's dangerous, once again, to assume that cars cause all motorcycle accidents, or that motorcycle riders have a lower capacity for dangerous driving than their counterparts in a car. "I bet" it doesn't matter how this happened because the person is just as dead. I resent the implication that my decision to drive a safer vehicle means I'm more likely to cause an accident than a person on a motorcycle and it's something that gets thrown out a LOT on this board.

#583293 --- 05/30/07 05:00 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
findhotleavewet Offline

Loc: waterloo,ny.
both people on the bike where wearing thier helmets. the car did pull out from packwood road and hit the bike head on and then did a 360 male driver from bike was fatal at scene and female rider on bike is very very serious condition

#583295 --- 05/30/07 05:01 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: findhotleavewet]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Oh! There was a second rider? \:\( I hope she pulls through.

#583298 --- 05/30/07 05:17 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
Andy Offline

Loc: I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
PT, I'm not implying that you're not a safe driver, it's just that the majority of the time this is the type of circumstance that causes a car-bike accident. people are trying to pull out and don't see the bike, they just see an opening in between cars and they go. This is another unfortunate example. That is why I say you have to try to be ready for a car to pull out. And if he stays put, well you're ok.

#583299 --- 05/30/07 05:18 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: past tense]
goingcrazyinny Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: past tense
I resent the implication that my decision to drive a safer vehicle means I'm more likely to cause an accident than a person on a motorcycle

Ok, I'm seriously biting my tongue (or rather sitting on my fingers) to avoid the helmet issue since it is a hot button for me, but this I cannot look past. A HUGE majority (over two thirds) of accidents involving a car and a motorcycle are caused by the car driver. That is not to say that a majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers, because there are also a large portion of single motorcycle accidents (no other vehicle involved) that are caused by unsafe cyclists, poor judgement, or untrained/poorly trained riders not knowing how to properly handle a road hazard. I do not know the statistics on this percentage of motorcycle accidents (motorcycle only), but it has been studied and proven that and overwhelming amount of motorcycle v. car accidents are the result of the car driver. Most of the time it is a case of "I didn't see it". Resent it all you want but statistics and years of study do not lie.

#583302 --- 05/30/07 05:25 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: goingcrazyinny]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Yes, yes I KNOW.

My point is that NO ONE ON HERE ever says "motorcycle drivers be more cautious" and frankly, they're the ones zooming around without protective steel and metal around them. It's always "car drivers kill/hurt bikers" and it's NEVER "please be careful while you are out riding your bike this weekend."

Also, those stats you cite fail to mention that the failure to see the bike rider could be reduced BY THE BIKE RIDER by using headlamps, reflective clothing, bright clothing, etc.

So yes, I do resent all the "car drivers kill bikers" talk that fails to mention the safety precautions that BIKERS could take to further their visibility to other drivers on the road. So maybe car drivers cause more accidents by pulling out in front of a bike they didn't see, but what percentage of those have the possibility of being reduced or prevented by bikers who take the time to make themselves as visible as possible? I've read a little about this, too, since I live in a place that has NO helmet laws and where quite a few of the bikers I've observed do 10-25 miles over the posted speed limit.

Edited by past tense (05/30/07 05:26 PM)

#583305 --- 05/30/07 05:32 PM Re: Serious Mcy vs Car Accident [Re: goingcrazyinny]
findhotleavewet Offline

Loc: waterloo,ny.
I think all motorcycles should have a yellow strobe light on them that is visible from all sides like on a pole 2 feet above the rider then they would be much more visible BUT it is summer and people need to look for pedistrians and kids and bikes and kids and motor cycles and kids and with the amount of accidents on 5&20 between the state park and waterloo maybe they should keep the 4 lanes all the way and change the speed limit to 35 mph or both as it is 45 most are doing atleast 50 unless grandma is doing 20 becuase she can not see the road

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >