FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#676904 --- 11/03/07 03:20 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Buddy]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
With what must be a credible witness who claims to have seen the alleged victim alive?

Tough sell to a 2nd jury.

FingerLakes1.com
#677208 --- 11/03/07 01:21 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I hear she ran off with her boyfriend to Alaska.

#677209 --- 11/03/07 01:22 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Ha!!!

#677284 --- 11/03/07 03:48 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Seer Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY, US
Originally Posted By: past tense
With what must be a credible witness who claims to have seen the alleged victim alive?

Tough sell to a 2nd jury.

LOL, He didn't look so credible after his arrest for a domestic.
He looked really bad when his wife came forward and said he was
paid to say he saw Michelle.
I'm sure it was just sour grapes on the part of his wife. LOL

#677322 --- 11/03/07 04:40 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Seer]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
So someone will get off for murder? Sad.

#684468 --- 11/11/07 02:42 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Della]
Seer Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY, US
Did anyone catch this last night on 48 Hours?

#684837 --- 11/11/07 09:31 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Seer]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Seer
LOL, He didn't look so credible after his arrest for a domestic.

"LOL" - is "he" Harris or "he" the new witness?

If you mean Harris, he's not the witness who saw her and as a result earned himself a new trial, right? Because his credibility isn't the point - the witness's credibility IS - and it had to be GOOD to overturn a conviction.

Also, plenty of people get arrested for domestic abuse and don't end up killing their wives. And plenty of people kill their wives without ever getting arrested for domestic violence before they do it. In short, irrelevant.

If you mean "he" the new witness, I wasn't aware that being arrested for domestic violence rendered one inable to utilize one's eyeballs.

He looked really bad when his wife came forward and said he was paid to say he saw Michelle.

"He"? The witness whose new testimony resulted in a new trial? More information to be challenged AT TRIAL, I suppose. I haven't seen or heard a thing about that, but I also haven't watched the 48 Hours that was on last night so if it was included in the report I suppose I will soon.

I'm sure it was just sour grapes on the part of his wife. LOL

You actually make a good point - refuting what appears to be your position. Gee, why would a woman who was allegedly abused by a guy want to make him look bad? I can't imagine.

You're kind of rambling on here about the credibility of the witness, alleged statements made by his wife (?), sour grapes, etc. and basically implying that you "know" more than anyone else about the particular scenario and players. Bully for you. I'll wait for trial. I know, I know, crazy, since I have someone who knows what "really" happened right here on the forum but I'll stick with my plan.

Edited by past tense (11/11/07 09:33 PM)

#685094 --- 11/12/07 08:12 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Everyone knows it was Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with a candle stick holder.

#685249 --- 11/12/07 11:56 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Taxpayer14456]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
I read the 48 Hours version of the story - interesting and they seem to be leaning toward the husband. It's just so bad that the kids have to be exposed to all the stories about their mother. Regardless of what else she did/was, she was still their mom. Who has the kids now, anyway?

#685259 --- 11/12/07 12:10 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Seer]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Did anyone catch this last night on 48 Hours?

I actually saw the 48 hours special. It was interesting. There would be some questions I would have if he was innocent....like how did the blood actually get "spattered" throughout the kitchen and garage.....which they said could only be caused by a forced blunt trauma to the head......and when he had his girlfriend over and she was nervous about Michelle coming home in the middle of the night while she was there spending the night......Cal stated that Michelle wouldn't be coming home.....how did he know that? I feel bad for her family.

#685260 --- 11/12/07 12:12 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Yetta Nother]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
They stated that the witness could not have seen her face or anything inside the vehicle as the hour of the morning and the fog would have kept him from doing that. I do not believe the witness.

#685275 --- 11/12/07 12:21 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Yetta Nother]
SilverRose Offline

I don't know where the girlfriend's brain was at - staying with a possible murderer in the murder victim's home. She should be thanking her lucky stars she wasn't the 2nd victim.

#685290 --- 11/12/07 12:36 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: SilverRose]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Obviously I couldn't have been so lucky for my DVR to actually record the 48 Hours like it was supposed to. Annoying. They'll replay it 283741904837190473821 times like they always do, though.

Personally, while I think it's LIKELY he did it, I am always - regardless of topic - annoyed at anonymous, "in the know" posters who insist they've got the inside track. 'Kay.

#685294 --- 11/12/07 12:41 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
SilverRose Offline

ummm. I don't KNOW that he did it. I did use the term 'possible.' That would be enough for me, personally, not to want to be alone with the guy.

I also stated that the transcript I read seemed to favor the husband being the killer, but maybe I was already convinced due to this thread.

Think I'll just stick to novels. The library is beckoning...besides, I'll be fined if I don't get this Tai Chi tape back today!

#685494 --- 11/12/07 04:28 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: SilverRose]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

All the prosecutor has to do is ask the people in Seneca County what happened. Every piece of speculation would be the god's honest truth.

#717579 --- 12/27/07 05:01 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Taxpayer14456]
The Mask Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Hidden Harbor
The one liner air hole strikith again.

#725227 --- 01/05/08 01:41 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: The Mask]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
He owned a house on the lake near me for a period of time about 8 - 10 years ago. My favorite story was when the new owners contacted the water dept. concerning changing over the water bill it was discovered that Harris hooked up the water line to the house an the sly without telling anyone. Of course there was no water meter either. A regular peach of a guy!

#725538 --- 01/05/08 10:31 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
racefan73 Offline

Loc: seneca-cayuga
Originally Posted By: past tense
I watch too much CourtTV - this stuff doesn't surprise me a bit anymore.
I too watch Court, I mean Tru TV along with 48 Hours and the rest. Have there been any new developments?

#928849 --- 12/01/08 08:29 PM Harris' attorney wants change of venue [Re: racefan73]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Harris' attorney wants change of venue from Tioga County

An attorney for Calvin Harris said intense media coverage has made it impossible to find an impartial jury in Tioga County for his client's second murder trial.

Specifically, Terence Kindlon cited remarks posted on the Press & Sun-Bulletin's various online comment pages. Kindlon also submitted numerous newspaper stories to have the trial moved to another New York county.

A 47-year-old Tioga County businessman, Harris was convicted of the murder of his estranged wife, Michele, in June 2007. However, the trial judge set aside the verdict when testimony from a man, who did not come forward until after the verdict, contradicted a prosecutor's theory of what happened. A second trial has been set for Feb. 17.

In court documents filed Nov. 21 with a state appellate court in Albany, Kindlon asked for a change of venue, something the appeals court hasn't granted to local courts in 41 years.

The centerpiece of the argument is media coverage of the 7-year-old case which Kindlon said has slanted public opinion against Harris.

"The community continues to closely follow all media reports regarding the case, and it will be near impossible to find a single resident of Tioga County or any of the surrounding counties who have not heard about the case, nor formed a vehement resentment towards Calvin Harris due to the last seven years of highly inflammatory media coverage," said Kindlon, of the Albany law firm of Kindlon Shanks & Associates.

Among the reader comments, which are allowed to be posted anonymously, on the newspaper's message boards cited by the attorney was an Oct. 23 entry that read: "Maybe (Calvin Harris) thinks all this attention on him murdering his wife is a small price to pay for killing her. He is an animal ... a greedy animal."

Kindlon, one of two attorneys representing Harris, also cites reader comments made about Kevin Tubbs, the Candor farmer who in post-trial testimony said he saw Michele Harris with an unidentified man hours after the prosecution said she had been killed.

"Do you think that maybe Cal's attorney wants to save Cal some of the precious money that Cal was unwilling to let Michele have as a settlement ... I still think Tubbs had a payoff ..." read another Oct. 23 posting cited in the appeal.

Another submission read: "Dear Cal fan: Let me be a little clearer for the lower mentaility [sic] of mankind. Wether [sic] he is convicted of murder or not, he has been a discrace [sic] to his family, his children, his community. Murderer or not, he will be judged one day when he meets his maker. Is that a little better, understand now?"

Additionally, Kindlon submitted to the appeals court some Press & Sun-Bulletin stories written over seven years about the Harris case. He also cited other newspapers and television coverage, in particular the CBS Network program, "48 Hours Mystery" which featured the Harris case, as also tainting the local jury pool against Harris. The CBS feature aired Nov. 3, 2007, and again, this year, on June 24.

Neither Michele Harris' body, nor a murder weapon, have ever been found.

Kindlon cited other New York cases where a trial was moved because of adverse pre-trial publicity. Included was Kathy Boudin, a member of the radical group the Weather Underground who was convicted in 1984 of murder for her participation in an armed robbery that left three people dead.

Boudin's trial was moved from Rockland to Orange County, and then moved again to Westchester County after attorneys could not pick a jury, Kindlon said.

In 1967, the murder trial of a Binghamton man accused of killing a high school classmate was moved from Broome to Chemung County because of pre-trial publicity. The defendant in that case pleaded guilty to the slaying during jury selection.

By Nancy Dooling • Staff Writer • December 1, 2008
Copyright © 2008 Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin

#931363 --- 12/05/08 06:21 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Cleopatra Offline

Loc: Egypt
Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam
Originally Posted By: seneca_lady
how does things get so out of control that killing them instead of leaving them becomes a better option ?

Good question. Hard to really comprehend, isn't it?

Cal Harris shares NOTHING with ANYONE, including money, his business, his children or his property. He had a lot to lose in a divorce. The family is rich and powerful. Dig deeper into Cal perhaps his past should be fair game just like hers apparently is.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >