FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#582770 - 05/29/07 02:13 PM Harris Trial
ibepokenmore Offline

Loc: waterloo
I am trying to figure out why it matters that the victim Michelle's nightlife makes a difference in her dissappearing? Why does it matter the woman worked a job and went out after ,people do it all the time. They did this to danelle VanDams parents too. This woman is missing, her children miss her and her family too. and they have to listen to what some attorney is trying to smudge her to hope to get her husband off. Why is it okay to bring up past acts on the victim but never the one who commited the crime?

FingerLakes1.com
#582773 - 05/29/07 02:22 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: ibepokenmore]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
It might be distasteful, but in a case like this one where there appears to be little to no evidence that a crime even occurred it does the defense well to set up the victim as the bad guy. Talking about her nightlife and her activites with other men isn't just about smearing her but about illustrating that her own actions and interactions provide other possible suspects in her alleged murder.

It's not entirely true that the past actions of the defendant are not admissible - past convictions are, I think, fair game.

Frankly, this guy has a good shot at acquittal - there's hardly any evidence of anything beyond him being a complete jerk.

#582805 - 05/29/07 04:17 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
You are right Past Tense, it is a circumstantial evidence trial, and her conduct is a possible part of her cirumstance. The defense's side should make signifigant doubt. But Juries by and large are not very smart, and go along with the prosecution. I hope justice is served.

#582808 - 05/29/07 04:21 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Buddy]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I'm not sure that a conviction, even in a case in which the defendant is guilty but that guilt has not been proven, is "justice". It's complicated.

#582811 - 05/29/07 04:34 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Jazzmine Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
I wish this was on court tv instead of Phil Spector

#582921 - 05/29/07 08:29 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
The prosecution cannot even prove a crime was committed. I will make this statement, a conviction with no proof will be set aside by an appeals court.

#587463 - 06/08/07 05:54 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Buddy]
Headless Horseman Offline

He was found guilty.

#587498 - 06/08/07 06:27 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Headless Horseman]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Jury finds Harris guilty
Updated: 6/8/2007 6:22 AM
By: Kaitlyn Ross

Several jurors wept as they read the verdict for Cal Harris, murder in the second degree: guilty.

Cal Harris' father Dwight does not think there was enough evidence in the case to convict his son.

It was a miscarriage of justice," Dwight Harris said.

Joe Cawley, Cal's Defense Attorney said, "The jury worked hard, we're obviously very disappointed though."

The prosecution however, thought everything added up to a guilty verdict.

Tioga County District Attorney Gerald Keene said, "I don't think it was one particular piece of evidence. I think it was all the circumstances, the overwhelming motive he had, his controlling behavior and all the blood evidence there, I don't think there was any other explanation than that's where she was killed."

When the verdict was read, Cal repeatedly screamed "NO!" and sobbed. Michele's family said they don't feel any sympathy for him however and that his verdict does not bring them closure.

Shannon Taylor, Michele's sister-in-law said, "It doesn't bring her back, it doesn't change anything."

WATCH THE VIDEO

Harris found guilty

Several jurors wept as they read the verdict for Cal Harris, murder in the second degree: guilty.

Michele's brother Greg agreed, "Hopefully Cal will someday tell us where she is, he's taken so much from us. Hopefully he can have a little bit of compassion in his soul after he's taken Michele from us."

The jury found him guilty without Michele's body and District Attorney Keene doesn't think Michele will ever be found.

"When he said I have a place to put you and you'll never be found, I think he meant that and she's never going to be found," Keene said.

Without a body however, defense attorney Joe Cawley thinks they have a good chance of having Cal's case heard again.

Cawley said, "We'll weigh our options, I'm sure an appeal will be made and we'll take it from there."

Until then, Cal Harris will remain behind bars, his $500,000 bail revoked.

#591447 - 06/17/07 04:47 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
lotsofquestions Offline

Loc: around the corner
I know players in this tragedy. When someone has a huge problem with their temper, and always has and has a history of deceptive behavior that is well known they may be looked at in an unfavorable way. While that doesn't make him guilty, it sure helps to understand how the conviction may have transpired

#591759 - 06/18/07 11:42 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: lotsofquestions]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I'll be interested to see the 48 Hours planned for this case. Perhaps it will present the evidence presented at trial in a more compelling way than it was presented in the papers.

I don't have a problem with a conviction without a body but - I haven't read anything about ANY evidence at all. Perhaps someone could enlighten us as to what evidence was presented?

#591772 - 06/18/07 11:49 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: past tense
I'll be interested to see the 48 Hours planned for this case. Perhaps it will present the evidence presented at trial in a more compelling way than it was presented in the papers.

I don't have a problem with a conviction without a body but - I haven't read anything about ANY evidence at all. Perhaps someone could enlighten us as to what evidence was presented?

Here ya go:

Juror From Cal Harris Murder Trial Speaks Out
Video High
Harris was convicted of 2nd degree murder in Tioga County Court, for killing his wife Michele on September 11th, 2001.

Her body has never been found, nor has a murder weapon.

The jury deliberated for only a few hours before making it's decision.

According to the juror we spoke with, 10 of the 12 jurors believed Cal was guilty as soon as deliberations began.

He believes Michele was killed in the Harris home, and the DNA evidence seals it.

A forensic expert, called by the prosecution, said blood stains found in the kitchen and garage belonged only to Michelle.

The juror told us there was too much blood for it to be accidental.

He believes Cal had the opportunity to kill her, and something to gain by it.

The two were in the middle of a divorce when Michelle disappeared, and Cal stood to lose millions of dollars.

The juror said Cal showed no concern for Michele after her disappearance.

That he went to work the next day, didn't help in the search, and had his mistress stay overnight two weeks later, on Michele's birthday.

A quote made by Harris stuck with the juror:

The prosecution claimed Harris said "no way, that's impossible," when told by his father Michele had been found.

And during the trial, the juror told us Cal seemed incincere in his reactions, and would to cry at "weird" times, almost like it was scripted.

Story Created: Jun 7, 2007 at 11:23 PM EDT

Story Updated: Jun 7, 2007 at 11:42 PM EDT

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/7895657.html

#591774 - 06/18/07 11:51 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

It is kind of reminiscent of the Peterson case...only this time, the body was not found. Not saying I agree with the conviction, just showing some of the evidence as indicated by the juror.

#591832 - 06/18/07 12:54 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

So there was blood evidence? Interesting - I'd like to know more about it - how much, where was it found, etc. I'm glad 48 Hours decided to profile the case.

I'm curious as to where the husband was the night of the disappearance, etc.

#591833 - 06/18/07 12:58 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Not where, HOW...lol. Oy, I'm losing it today.

#591977 - 06/18/07 11:10 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Just Google Cal Harris, murder....and TONS comes up.

#592370 - 06/19/07 07:39 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Strawberry Jam]
seneca_lady Offline

Loc: seneca falls
how does things get so out of control that killing them instead of leaving them becomes a better option ?

#592531 - 06/20/07 05:58 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: seneca_lady]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: seneca_lady
how does things get so out of control that killing them instead of leaving them becomes a better option ?

Good question. Hard to really comprehend, isn't it?

#592613 - 06/20/07 07:51 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Jazzmine Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
$$$$$$$$$$$

#592675 - 06/20/07 10:10 AM Re: Harris Trial [Re: Jazzmine]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I watch too much CourtTV - this stuff doesn't surprise me a bit anymore.

#592851 - 06/20/07 01:30 PM Re: Harris Trial [Re: past tense]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
I love Court TV. I also love Forensic Files.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >