FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#582058 --- 05/27/07 12:20 AM 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war
Gold Member

Boy beaten to death while mother serves in Iraq

CALUMET CITY, Illinois (AP) -- A man beat his girlfriend's 4-year-old son to death after she left the boy in his care while she was deployed to Iraq, police said.

Donnell Parker, 23, was charged Friday with first-degree murder in the death of Cameron Smith. The boy was found dead in his bed Thursday in a suburb south of Chicago.

Parker told police he beat the boy, but would not say why, said Calumet City police Chief Patrick O'Meara. It was not immediately known if Parker had an attorney.

Cameron was punched in the head, stomach and chest, and whipped with a belt from Tuesday to Wednesday evening, O'Meara said. An autopsy found he died of blunt-force trauma to the abdomen and head, O'Meara said.

The boy's 7-year-old sister and 8-year-old brother had also been in Parker's care, O'Meara said. They were put in the custody of their maternal grandparents after Cameron was found dead.

Cameron's mother, Sgt. Lavanda Smith, 28, was headed back to Illinois Friday after spending only 10 hours at her new duty station in Iraq.

She was called to active duty in April with her Army National Guard unit and was sent to Fort Benning, Georgia, on May 12 in preparation for deployment, said Lt. Col. Alicia Tate-Nadeau, an Illinois National Guard spokeswoman.

Family members said Cameron's father, Gary Smith Jr., 27, had been deployed to Iraq last August and last saw his three children on a brief leave in January.

Family members said the Smiths had been married for eight years, and had both been in the military most of that time. O'Meara said Lavanda Smith had apparently been living with Parker for about a year.

Parker was scheduled to appear Saturday in bond court in suburban Markham, Illinois.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/26/beating.death.ap/index.html

FingerLakes1.com
#582064 --- 05/27/07 12:47 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: ]
Al Kida Offline

It goes without saying this is President Bush fault!!!

#582091 --- 05/27/07 04:48 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: Al Kida]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
This is a horribly, tragic story. But, who is to say this scumbag would not have done the same thing had Mom not been sent overseas? She was living with the guy for a year before she left. Why didn't she choose a more long term family member to care for them? I mean, why this guy over his maternal or paternal grandparents?

It could have happened even if she was home and working in the same town.

#582121 --- 05/27/07 10:45 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: Strawberry Jam]
SilverRose Offline

Loc: Heart of the Lakes
Some people just have to blame the President for whatever happens. Amazing that some think he controls every aspect of each of our lives.

I agree with you SBJ - there are children killed every year in this country whose family are NOT serving in Iraq. I don't understand why the children weren't left with blood relatives, either, but...there may have been a valid reason.

In any case, my heart breaks for that little boy - to have been hurt that badly and no one to help him....

#582194 --- 05/27/07 04:08 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: SilverRose]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
While I personally agree that abuse like this happens all the time, what I do think is true is that Bush is generally screwing the troops over, destroying families, keeping parents from their children, and killing the parents of thousands of children. All for nothing - a failed occupation that will almost certainly end as soon as he is out of office. But only after he ruins hundreds or thousands more lives. This story is only a tiny part of that picture. Would it have happened if the mom hadn't gone to Iraq? Perhaps. But perhaps it wouldn't have.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that this is a horrible tragedy, and that it should never have happened to this innocent child.

#582210 --- 05/27/07 04:59 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: Strawberry Jam]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: Strawberry Jam
This is a horribly, tragic story. But, who is to say this scumbag would not have done the same thing had Mom not been sent overseas? She was living with the guy for a year before she left. Why didn't she choose a more long term family member to care for them? I mean, why this guy over his maternal or paternal grandparents?

It could have happened even if she was home and working in the same town.

But it didn't. And you said yourself they lived together for a YEAR before she left.

I'm not saying it's "President Bush's fault". But I certainly see Festus' point about the child being another casualty of the war. It might be poetic license, but I see what he MEANS.

He never said "Bush killed this baby!" C'mon now.

#582220 --- 05/27/07 05:42 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: SilverRose]
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: SilverRose
Some people just have to blame the President for whatever happens. Amazing that some think he controls every aspect of each of our lives.

I agree with you SBJ - there are children killed every year in this country whose family are NOT serving in Iraq. I don't understand why the children weren't left with blood relatives, either, but...there may have been a valid reason.

In any case, my heart breaks for that little boy - to have been hurt that badly and no one to help him....

You and Al Kida are the only ones blaming this on Bush.

#582298 --- 05/28/07 12:03 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: ]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: Festus!

That is because it is his fault. He started this war of choice on his own!!! All the consequences are now his fault.

When I go to Burger King and Steve is not there working the fryer because he is in Iraq and the new guy cooks the fries too long .... Bush's fault!!!

When I have to work more overtime at work because Ryan who always worked all the overtime is not there because he is in Iraq . . . Bush's fault!!!

When I have to mow Eric's lawn all summer because he is in Iraq . . . Bush's fault!!!

#582300 --- 05/28/07 12:13 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: Al Kida]
Gold Member

If that's the way you feel, I guess it's OK.

#582303 --- 05/28/07 12:18 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: ]
Gold Member

Personally, I'd say it was the "fault" of a system that allows a single mother (or BOTH parents) to be deployed in a war zone, but that's just me.

#582340 --- 05/28/07 02:32 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: ]
Al Kida Offline

Personally, I'd say it was the "fault" of a system that allows a single mother (or BOTH parents) to be deployed in a war zone, but that's just me.

But it is OK for a single father??? How long have you been a sexist!!!

#582371 --- 05/28/07 10:26 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: ]
SilverRose Offline

[quote=SilverRose]Some people just have to blame the President for whatever happens. Amazing that some think he controls every aspect of each of our lives.

[/quote

ah. A better reading of my post might be in order. I did NOT say this was President Bush's fault. If anything, I think it's ridiculous to blame everything that happens on a single man. CONGRESS voted us into this war. How come no one ever mentions that?

#582373 --- 05/28/07 10:30 AM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: Al Kida]
SilverRose Offline

Originally Posted By: Al Kida

That is because it is his fault. He started this war of choice on his own!!! All the consequences are now his fault.

When I go to Burger King and Steve is not there working the fryer because he is in Iraq and the new guy cooks the fries too long .... Bush's fault!!!

When I have to work more overtime at work because Ryan who always worked all the overtime is not there because he is in Iraq . . . Bush's fault!!!

When I have to mow Eric's lawn all summer because he is in Iraq . . . Bush's fault!!!

Hey, I don't have anyone in Iraq, but I could use help mowing my lawn.... Especially if it's free, like I'm sure you do for Eric's family.

#582403 --- 05/28/07 12:24 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: SilverRose]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
One only needs to look back a few pages on this website to find articles of parents killing their own children in cold blood, or doing them great harm. Many posted in the sarcastic title of "Parent of the Year" or "Mother of the Year". None are related to the Iraq war.

What this man did is atrocious, horribly tragic and intolerable. But we cannot say for certain this would not have ended the same way had the child's Mom been simply across town working and this monster was left in charge.

What I do not understand is why two parents can be sent overseas at the same time, and it has happened before (not the child being killed, parents both sent overseas). I know that brothers in the same family have the option not to both be sent, why do they not have the same for parents when small children are involved at home? Not because I think that child may still be alive, but because it is the right thing to do.

My heart goes out to this child's family...all of them. This man is a monster and makes my blood boil.

#582470 --- 05/28/07 05:48 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: SilverRose]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

ah. A better reading of my post might be in order. I did NOT say this was President Bush's fault. If anything, I think it's ridiculous to blame everything that happens on a single man. CONGRESS voted us into this war. How come no one ever mentions that?

I think a better reading of Festus' post is in order. He's saying that YOU TWO are twisting his post to say "this is president bush's fault". He merely pointed out that this little boy's death is, at least in part, a function of both of the parents being deployed to Iraq. He said NOTHING about President Bush. Subsequent posters attributed that statement TO HIM.

#582477 --- 05/28/07 06:05 PM Re: 4 year old is latest US victim of Iraq war [Re: SilverRose]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Please point out the place in Festus' post where he "had to blame President Bush". Thank you.