Topic Options
#577945 --- 05/16/07 11:45 PM MySpace won't give names of sex offenders
Mumsy Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Waterloo
MySpace won't give names of sex offenders
Online networking site says proper legal processes weren't followed

MySpace deletes sex offender profiles
May 16: Social networking site MySpace says it identified, removed and blocked user profiles of convicted sex offenders.

MySpace Says It Is In Process Of Removing Sex Offenders
Freed murderer accused of using MySpace to seek sex with girl
Community Tightens Sex Offender Law

Updated: 3:55 p.m. ET May 16, 2007
RALEIGH, N.C. - Citing federal privacy law, MySpace.com said Tuesday it won’t comply with a request by attorneys general from eight states to hand over the names of registered sex offenders who use the social networking Web site.

MySpace’s chief security officer said the company regularly discloses information to law enforcement officials but the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act says it can only do so when proper legal processes are followed.

“We’re truly disheartened that the AGs chose to send out a letter ... when there was an existing legal process that could have been followed,” the security officer, Hemanshu Nigam, said in an interview.

In a letter Monday, attorneys general from North Carolina, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Ohio and Pennsylvania asked MySpace to provide information about registered sex offenders using the site and where they live.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal on Tuesday blasted MySpace for refusing to share the information and said no subpoena is needed for MySpace to tell the attorneys general how many registered sex offenders use the site “or other information relating to possible parole violations.”

“I am deeply disappointed and troubled by this unreasonable and unfounded rejection of our request for critical information about convicted sex offenders whose profiles are on MySpace,” Blumenthal said. “By refusing this information, MySpace is precluding effective enforcement of parole and probation restrictions that safeguard society.”

Christian Genetski, an attorney who has represented MySpace, said the Electronic Communications Privacy Act requires subpoenas, court orders or search warrants, depending on the information sought.

“It’s a clearly defined law that most providers and prosecutors understand and work with on a daily basis,” Genetski said. “My understanding is (the attorneys general) want the private personal information, and that’s clearly the information the ECPA protects.”

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said “it’s sad that MySpace is going to protect the privacy of sex offenders over the safety of children.”

Nigam said MySpace is serious about identifying and removing sex offenders from its Web site and wants to work with the attorneys general.

“Everybody needs to get together and delete online predators,” Nigam said, adding that MySpace supports state and federal legislation requiring sex offenders to register e-mail addresses. “The attorneys general’s concerns and our concerns are exactly the same.”

In December, MySpace announced it was partnering with Sentinel Tech Holding Corp. to build a database with information on sex offenders in the United States.

Software to identify and remove sex offenders from the site has been used for 12 days, and MySpace has “removed every registered sex offender that we identified out of our more than 175 million profiles,” Nigam said.

It is also working with Sentinel to share the sex offender database and technology with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which works directly with law enforcement officials, Nigam said.
Is MySpace doing the right thing?
MySpace deletes convicted sex offender profiles
Sex offender data sought from MySpace
MySpace building tool to block sex offenders
MySpace, which is owned by News Corp., and other social networking sites allow users to create online profiles with photos, music and personal information, including hometowns and education. Users can send messages to one another and, in many cases, browse other profiles.

MySpace’s policy prevents children under 14 from setting up profiles, but it relies on users to specify their ages

FingerLakes1.com
#577973 --- 05/17/07 12:47 AM Re: MySpace won't give names of sex offenders [Re: Mumsy]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
If a parent does not monitor what thier kids are doing on the internet, they are asking for trouble. And places like myspace are a terrible risk.

Edited by BraveHeart (05/17/07 12:53 AM)
AMF

#577975 --- 05/17/07 12:52 AM Re: MySpace won't give names of sex offenders [Re: BraveHeart]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I totally agree.

If the shoe were on the other foot, and the courts wanted to get at their kid's MySpace account in regard to possible illegal activities, every single one of these parents would be singing about their child's right to privacy in their online accounts.

It's up to parents to monitor their children's internet access and activity - I'm shocked at the number of people MY age that use MySpace. I thought it was just for kids!

It's unfortunate they can't find a legal way to get the information they need from MySpace administrators.

#577999 --- 05/17/07 01:17 AM Re: MySpace won't give names of sex offenders [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
It drives my kids insane that I monitor there internet use. I read emails and IMs. I track every single web site they go to. Yesterday my daughter informed me how wrong it was that I invaded their privacy and violated their rights. Rights??? She seems to have forgotten she lives in my dictatorship with me as the ultimate supreme ruler for life. Well at least until she reaches 18.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#578076 --- 05/17/07 05:16 AM Re: MySpace won't give names of sex offenders [Re: Gio]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: Gio
I read emails and IMs. I track every single web site they go to. Yesterday my daughter informed me how wrong it was that I invaded their privacy and violated their rights. Rights???

IMO you are absolutely correct. Kids have no "right" to privacy. Parents who do not monitor their kids closely are just asking for trouble.