FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#578566 --- 05/17/07 09:37 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Although I like meat in the sauce, I usually use browned ground beef with the fat poured off. I like lots of veggies (RED sweet peppers, please!) in it, too. I happen to really like brown rice, and often use that instead of pasta. At least I'm getting roughage and vitamins with my carbs.

FingerLakes1.com
#578626 --- 05/18/07 03:10 AM Re: Diet [Re: casey2]
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
Originally Posted By: casey2
Spencer, I wish you luck with your healthy eating habits and your upcoming surgery. I know it is not easy to make major changes in our eating habits but it sounds as though you are in the right track. Keep up the good work.

Thank-You!! \:\)

#578675 --- 05/18/07 05:56 AM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Seriously, VM, you need to try Shirataki noodles...they have NO carbs and only 20 calories per serving (I usually eat a whole package with a whopping 40 calories!) and are made with some wild root that has water soluble fiber that has been proven to lower cholesterol. Great stuff! They have no flavor of their own but lets face it...it's the sauce that we all love anyway. You just need to remember to rinse them under running water before using them (otherwise they have a fishy kind of smell).

#578724 --- 05/18/07 08:53 AM Re: Diet [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Some time ago, I decided to try something new with the boneless chicken breasts. To me there is nothing worse than just a plain old piece of chicken. I took the chicken breast and baked it with a sliced red pepper over it and sprinkled some crumbly blue over it. Talk about something good.

#578749 --- 05/18/07 09:32 AM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Jazz - glad you like TDP! It really is a great website and I like to throw it out there b/c my friend works on it.

Didn't you send me a link in a PM somewhere once about diet or fitness? I'm having PM difficulties (re: locating some of them!) \:\)

#578788 --- 05/18/07 10:56 AM Re: Diet [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"Seriously, VM, you need to try Shirataki noodles."

Maybe I will, thanks. Where can I find them?

#578790 --- 05/18/07 10:59 AM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Ever try just a plain roasted red pepper? You could stuff it, or put various things on it, but just roasting it changes the flavor a lot.

#578794 --- 05/18/07 11:12 AM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Roasted red peppers are the bomb! Did you know a red pepper has more vitamin C then an orange does.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#578801 --- 05/18/07 11:20 AM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
Jazzmine Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
PT I don't think it was me.. but maybe.. my mommy brain is in full effect..

I sat there ( no idea why) last night for over an hour trying to think of Nick Lachey's last name.. only because I couldn't remember it.. He might as well be named Nick Simpson but why did I need to know? I didn't.. it just bothered me I could not remember.. I used to have a tip top memory.. and it's gone \:\( It came to me in my sleep at 3 AM last night and I have been up ever since.. how dumb!

Anyways I do love the site and I am really going to make an effort to get my family eating healthy and exercising..

#578802 --- 05/18/07 11:23 AM Re: Diet [Re: Jazzmine]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Roasted red peppers are great. When I make stuffed peppers, instead of using the green ones, I have started using the red ones. I love the flavor. I also have a great recipe for a roasted red pepper dip.

#578812 --- 05/18/07 11:40 AM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Lurking
Care to share that recipe TRD?

If you're not livin on the edge
you're not livin

#578817 --- 05/18/07 11:46 AM Re: Diet [Re: Gio]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I wouldn't doubt that a bit; I think that green, yellow and red bell peppers are at different stages of ripeness, but are the same fruit.

TRD: I like the greens, and prefer them in a few recipes, but the reds make my mouth water!

#578818 --- 05/18/07 11:46 AM Re: Diet [Re: LOTE]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Sure. When I get home I'll look it up and post it.

#578823 --- 05/18/07 11:49 AM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I love pretty much all veggies with the exception of lima beans.

My partner makes this wonderful brussel sprout dish with lots of garlic and sliced almonds. We usually have it for Christmas dinner with his family.

#578824 --- 05/18/07 11:54 AM Re: Diet [Re: Jazzmine]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I like pregnenolone, but I heed this man's advice and take low doses:

Benefits of Pregnenolone
Some people find pregnenolone improves energy levels, vision, memory, clarity of thinking, wellbeing, and often sexual enjoyment or libido. Pregnenolone may be considered a good brain enhancer in those who are deficient. Studies in rodents show pregnenolone to be one of the most effective and powerful memory boosters. Pregnenolone may increase levels of acetylcholine in the hippocampus and other memory regions in the brain. Some women report lessening of hot flashes or premenstrual symptoms. However, pregnenolone is not risk-free.

Possible Pregnenolone side effects
Overstimulation and insomnia -- low doses could be helpful for sleep when taken in the morning.
Irritability, anger or anxiety -- low doses could actually ease a person into a relaxed feeling, while higher amounts may lead to irritability.
Acne
Headaches
Possible scalp hair loss if used daily for prolonged periods. Pregnenolone converts into DHEA, which in turn converts into testosterone and possibly on to DHT. Pregnenolone also can be converted into progesterone.
Irregularities of heart rhythm, HEART PALPITATIONS, even on as low a dose as 10 mg
Unknown effects on the thyroid gland or other organs and tissues.

Dr. Sahelian says: I do not feel comfortable with the high dosages of DHEA and pregnenolone sold over the counter. I think a maximum of 5 mg is acceptable. Hormones are powerful substances that have significant short and long-term effects. They can be very helpful if used appropriately but can cause serious harm if misused. One of the side effects is heart palpitations or arrhythmias. Use hormones in low doses and for short periods of time. Take frequent breaks which I call 'hormone holidays.'

What form of Pregnenolone is best?
Oral pregnenolone pills work well. Sublingual (sublingual means it melts under the tongue) is an excellent option by bypassing the initial liver metabolism that occurs after swallowing an oral pill.

#578829 --- 05/18/07 12:09 PM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
I wouldn't doubt that a bit; I think that green, yellow and red bell peppers are at different stages of ripeness, but are the same fruit.

TRD: I like the greens, and prefer them in a few recipes, but the reds make my mouth water!

You are correct. Green is unripe and red is ripe. I think yellow is a variety of bell pepper. I also think they can be purple or even a brown color??? I think???

#578831 --- 05/18/07 12:14 PM Re: Diet [Re: Gio]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks for the education, paisano.

#578902 --- 05/18/07 04:02 PM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Thanks for the education, paisano.

You already knew that huh???....

#578913 --- 05/18/07 05:50 PM Re: Diet [Re: Gio]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

No, I had thought the yellow was the intermediate stage of ripeness; I didn't know that it was a variety.

#578999 --- 05/18/07 10:54 PM Re: Diet [Re: VM Smith]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I've looked at more than a few seed catalogues, and I do think that there are other colors; what THEY look like at a certain stage of ripeness, I don't know.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >