FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#577162 --- 05/15/07 11:29 AM Diet
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
We talk a lot about fitness in terms of exercise but not FOOD. We've cleaned up our act at our house, doubling the number of fruits and veggies in our diets and reducing our sodium intake as well. I think I threw up the URL for The Daily Plate before (www.thedailyplate.com) and it's what we use to track our diets AND exercise.

So lets talk food as it relates to Health and Wellness.

FingerLakes1.com
#577190 --- 05/15/07 11:58 AM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
I have become much more conscious about the ingredients in the foods I eat. I take more time looking at the labels to see how much fat, fiber, and sugar is in the food. A couple years ago, I completely removed candy and soda from my diet and started eating foods higher in fiber. The weight loss wasn't what surprised me the most. What surprised me is I would walk into a store and could smell the sugar coming from the candy bar counter. It was so strong that it would make me feel sick to my stomach.

#577207 --- 05/15/07 12:21 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

The big difference that I am finding is a consciousness of how my body reacts to food. We have made a BIG effort to reduce the amount of processed/packaged foods we eat as well. So now when we do "splurge" and eat out at a restaurant or go hog wild at home and cook something rich, or not quite as nutritious, I find I can really feel my body working less efficiently. I think age is likely a factor in this as well. It's one of the reasons I'm interested in doing the nutritional cleanse I talked about in the other thread I created today.

#577213 --- 05/15/07 12:34 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I agree, there is a big difference in how my body reacts and feels based on the different types of food I eat. For example, if I eat something that is fried, I can pretty much figure I will be lethargic. I've learned to avoid milk at all costs. The lactose intollerance is just too much to deal with. If I go out to breakfast and have eggs, bacon/sausage, etc, I pretty much know that the remainder of the day will be a wash with me feeling ill and wanting to do nothing other than lay on the couch.

#577217 --- 05/15/07 12:41 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

We've replaced our creamer w/ soy creamer but the lactose intolerance hasn't reached such proportions that I have to give it all up...yet. I actually prefer the taste of soy to the regular cream and it's a lot richer than fat-free half and half, or CoffeeMate, which often contain preservatives and/or chemical additives.

#577219 --- 05/15/07 12:46 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I have been using the coffeemate in my coffee. It doesn't seem to effect me the way even a splash of milk will. The biggest problem is the amount of sugar in the coffeemate.

#577222 --- 05/15/07 12:48 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Yeah, the sugar and the additives is why we've given it up - higher in calories, too. Silk Soy Creamer is the best but you really have to like soy flavor and it's an acquired taste I think...

#577243 --- 05/15/07 01:18 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

A friend of mine has switched to soy. It doesn't seem to lactose problems that milk does.

The one thing I am really looking forward to is the availability of fresh veggies during the summer months. Now that the weather is warmer, I will be visiting the public market every Sat. morning for fresh fruits and veggies.

#577245 --- 05/15/07 01:20 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Cutting out the sugar is really becoming important for me since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Fortunately it is borderline so medication is not necessary.

#577272 --- 05/15/07 01:45 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Farmer's market time! We have one too apparently but it just opened last weekend and it's only open two days a week...I'll take it though!

We have a store (THE store) called Fred Meyer which is a part of the Kroger chain. It's not much compared to a Wegmans but they have this bulk wall that is INCREDIBLE. They have any kind of grain you can imagine (even those weird ones they cook w/ on Food TV), dried fruit, nuts, etc. for a fraction of the packaged stuff. Not only is it ALL organic, it's unbelievably affordable (!), and you only have to buy what you NEED - a novel concept. Instead of spending 10 bucks on a jar of pine nuts for one recipe I can buy a couple of tablespoons for 1/3 the price. Love it.

#577277 --- 05/15/07 01:48 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I'd take 2 days a week too. The Fortunately for me, the Rochester Public Market is open 2 days a week, Tuesdays and Sat. Then on Thursday, there is the public market in Greece during the day and the one in Irondequoit in the evening. It is nice as it ensures that I can have fresh fruit and veggies every day of the week without paying the prices at Wegman's.

#577278 --- 05/15/07 01:49 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Plus it's good to buy local! We try to as much as possible. Unfortunately things like milk are more than double the price. A gallon of local dairy milk is over five dollars!

#577288 --- 05/15/07 01:52 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

The last time we bought milk was over a month ago. It ended up spoiling before we even opened it up.

#577329 --- 05/15/07 03:19 PM Re: Diet [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
casey2 Offline

My sister was recently diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. It is worthwhile to go to a diabetic dietician at your local hospital to find out how foods will affect you. Carbs play a big part and you will be surprised how many foods are high in carbs, not just the most obvious ones such as bread and macaroni. Exericse helps too. I am learning a lot just listening to my sister. Good luck to you.

#577376 --- 05/15/07 06:21 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
As many of you know I am having gastro surgery sometime late summer. I have been to the nutritonist 3 times so far and have one more meeting. Oh the things I have learned.
I have switched everything to light products,starting with my favorite, French Vanilla and cheese..yogurt..mayo..dressing..rye bread..chips..cheerios for my cereal..butter.. my plate for dinner has to be half veggies no matter what, and a protein with each meal..I eat a hard boil egg before most meals..ONE snack a day to be no more than 150 calories,this is tough!!! BUT it is working along with a 15 minute walk..working up to more time. My arthritis makes it tough sometimes to do.

#577378 --- 05/15/07 06:28 PM Re: Diet [Re: Spencer~1/06/07]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Half veggies is a GREAT way to "visualize" your dinner. It was hard for me at first to give up my carbs but I just feel so much better. I love Stoneyfield Farms Organic Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt - it comes in a BIG tub and I just add my own fruit instead of buying individual yogurts. So much cheaper!

We just stopped buying snack food altogether. Instead we keep stuff from the bulk wall on hand - soynuts, wasabi peas, dried fruit, low-fat granola - and snack on fruits and veggies.

#577410 --- 05/15/07 08:10 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
It has not been easy at all, but slowly it is all falling into place. It's a life style change,the whole household has no choice in the changes I have made in the cuppboards and fridge as I am the only food shopper,but the BF does still get his ice cream and I will have yogurt or a small container of peaches in place of that.

#577467 --- 05/15/07 10:13 PM Re: Diet [Re: Spencer~1/06/07]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

It makes eating "treats" so much better than it was before! When we get pizza or when we go out to eat we really appreciate it so much more. And you are right - it's about thinking about YOUR diet rather than going ON a diet - lifestyle change.

#577468 --- 05/15/07 10:13 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

And the money we save?! OMG

#577472 --- 05/15/07 10:25 PM Re: Diet [Re: past tense]
Anonymous
Unregistered

actually the savings are not all obvious, look at the medical bills and prescriptions that would combat hypertension, diabetes and other conditions that are directly related to excess weight. spence, keep up the good work, remember you are doing this for you and the future of your family, all will prosper when you succeed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >