FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#576897 --- 05/14/07 09:17 PM Red dove Inn
cafechick Offline

Loc: ny
Anyone tried the Red Dove Inn yet. I would love to hear your opinion. I didnt have a very good first impression but I try every place twice before I form a permanent opinion.

FingerLakes1.com
#576904 --- 05/14/07 10:15 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: cafechick]
quinn Offline

The Red Dove Inn? I have heard of the Red Dove Tavern! I think you've got the name wrong. Have heard all great things actually. You must have been there on an off night.

#576905 --- 05/14/07 10:24 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: quinn]
Time On My Hands Offline

Loc: Geneva
Only time will tell and the postings from other forum members both good and bad. They supplied the food for Chamber of Commerce after hours held at the Red Jacket last week and I thought it was pretty pathetic!

#576936 --- 05/15/07 02:25 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Time On My Hands]
geronimo Offline

Loc: here, there and everywhere
by the sound of the dishes they have the prices right, but the style wrong, I don't think many people in Geneva would want something cooked with Brie - tends be known more as girls name than as a cheese.

Why can't there be something uncomplicated?

#577336 --- 05/15/07 03:34 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: geronimo]
FuHugh Offline

Loc: Seneca Lake
Excellent brunch on Sunday, the french toast is outstanding!, Service was excellent, even when they have been slammed.

This is just what the doctor ordered for downtown Geneva! Good food at a reasonable cost!

BTW

Hanger and Mash (aka: steak&potatoes)!!! Yummy, who needs greens when you got mash!

#577341 --- 05/15/07 03:52 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: FuHugh]
Time On My Hands Offline

Wow...best they can do is French Toast..terrific....Geneva is now famous for French Toast,Pizza & wings!

#577343 --- 05/15/07 04:21 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: geronimo]
Time On My Hands Offline

I agree. Real tasty, uncomplicated food made with 100% fresh ingredients and local farm produce complimented with some fresh local fish and game also, real home made bread ( or from a local bakery that makes fresh bread and not the frozen pre formed dough that supermarkets bake here!)

How about including:

Caramalised pear salad with roquefort cheese and maple/balsamic dressing
Freshly baked Quiche Lorraine
Steak Pie with Guiness
Almond coated lake trout fried gently in butter and olive oil
Breaded Chicken or Pork cutlets served with French Fries, a wedge of lemon and mayonaise
Daily Roast (Beef,Pork,Venison,Turkey,Lamb) and all the trimmings
Chicken Korma curry made with ground almonds, fresh cream, natural yoghurt and served with saffron pillau rice and Nan bread
Local produced beef and pork farm sausages braised in an onion gravy served with cheddar mashed potatoes, fresh garden peas and butter glazed carrots
BBQ broiled Fillet Mignon with a bernaise sauce, lyonaise potatoes (that is sliced potatoes and onions baked in a rich creamy sauce)or French fries and butter glazed asparagus
Creme Caramel, Creme Brullee or home made baked NY cheesecake made with real creme cheese, fresh orange and lemon juice and rind and served with fresh whipped cream and drizzled with a Grand Marnier sauce. Home made Tirimisu (made with ladies fingers, sabion, italian cream cheese, real filter coffee and massala wine)

Ah.....well......dream on!

#577344 --- 05/15/07 04:33 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Time On My Hands]
FuHugh Offline

A little elaboration if you don't mind. I have noticed that the "negative" commentary hasn't explained what they didn't like about the food/service they recieved?

Please do tell!

#577348 --- 05/15/07 04:45 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: FuHugh]
cafechick Offline

well, I can tell you that the owner was our waitress. Our food took 55 minutes to come out, only to have the next door table hand us the salt and pepper from thier table (ugh). I do not care for someone's butt to be in my face and that's what happened when they are 3-deep at the bar.(no place for bar people to congregate).I was told that they opened last weekend which is why we went there, but now I find out their first day was last Sunday or Monday.I dont agree with anyone who says steak and mashed pot. are enough, and who needs vegetables. People in this country are too darn fat and they could use a lot less starches and a whole lot more veggies. I know they have a lot of kinks to get out of thier system. I wish them luck.

#577350 --- 05/15/07 04:49 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Time On My Hands]
FuHugh Offline

A little elaboration if you don't mind. I have noticed that the "negative" commentary hasn't explained what they didn't like about the food/service they recieved?

Please do tell!

#577363 --- 05/15/07 05:35 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: cafechick]
The Smith Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY
I've been there three times and each time have had a fabulous experience. The flank steak sandwich with brie and caramelized onions is superb, the carrot and ginger soup served with a side of Normal bread(?) was perfect, my wife's brie sandwich with roasted peppers, tomato, and onions was quite tasty (the leftovers didn't re-heat too well, but you can't hold that against the chef), and a friend's falafel sandwich looked really good -- he finished it in short order. The martini I had after the Derek Trucks show Saturday was delicious and my friends enjoyed theirs as well (Abbie(?) the bartender is known for being quite the mixologist).

There's nothing wrong with being a little fancy. Especially if the price is reasonable.

My only critique is the shoesting fries: while delicious, they are too labor-intensive and messy (if you like catsup) to properly enjoy. But that's a quibble.

And it's creme brule French toast -- that's worth being known for.

I thought the Chamber offering was a very nice sampling. It's not supposed to be a full dinner, is it?

Congratulations to Rune and Julietta -- I hope they have years of success ahead of them.

Edited by The Smith (05/15/07 05:36 PM)

#577364 --- 05/15/07 05:35 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: FuHugh]
Red22 Offline

We went there for drinks on Saturday night. I thought it was nice. The bartenders were nice and I love the atmosphere, it reminds me of Sonny's a little bit.

It looks like the menu is constantly evolving. They write it out on a chalkboard, but it does ensure that only the freshest ingredients are used.

I haven't tried the food yet but I plan to. As far as waiting 55 minutes, give the place a break. They just opened and I'm sure they plan on making improvements as they go along.

#577375 --- 05/15/07 06:18 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: cafechick]
Bianca Offline

I was there last weekend and was very impressed. Loved the atmosphere, I had a salad that was excellent but very small, I thought it was over priced - $7.50 and I was still hungry after I ate it. It'll be a nice place for happy hour.

#577377 --- 05/15/07 06:26 PM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: cafechick]
Time On My Hands Offline

Well said. They are just starting out, they need time to get it right. I was not impressed but that was outside catering!

#577542 --- 05/16/07 05:38 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Time On My Hands]
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
where is this place?

#577631 --- 05/16/07 09:15 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Where's the love]
Red22 Offline

It is the old Downtown Deli on Castle St. in Geneva. Right next to Trotta's. You should go check it out.

#577634 --- 05/16/07 09:18 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: Red22]
dbig Offline

Is that part of town safe at night?

#577651 --- 05/16/07 09:33 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: dbig]
Red22 Offline

It's just like anywhere else in Geneva.

I don't really understand what you are saying. Do you think it would be unsafe because of Trotta's? Or just because it is on that side of the block?

From my experiences, downtown Geneva is all the same after 11:00 anyways. I don't really think it's unsafe, but at the same time if I am walking I am always careful and watch what is going on around me.

Most of the time it seems like any fights or stabbings that happen are a result of some sort of conflict with one another. It seems unlikely, so far, that someone is going to commit a violent crime against you for no reason. But like I said, people should be careful anyways.

#577670 --- 05/16/07 09:57 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: dbig]
BleuEyed Offline

Why is it the everything that is posted on these forums has to be negative? I dont post very often but do read the forums and I can not believe how negative alot of people are.

Red Dove Tavern is new, give them a break and a chance to make it. Upscale food is great to have in the area especially since all of the tourism reports that are done on the Finger Lakes mention that it is needed for the continued growth of the industry and instead of having people leave the county with their money I think its great to offer it right here in Ontario County so that the money stays here.

In regards to Geneva, there is alot of growth going on and the more that we can support it, the better it will be to live in and attract new residents, money and industries. Sure there are places that arent safe but I think you can find that in any community.

It just seems to me that so many people just use the forums to bad mouth Geneva. Its like they are foaming at the mouth when someone says something positive about Geneva and cant wait to attack it like a rabid dog. This is not directed in anyone in particular.

#577680 --- 05/16/07 10:21 AM Re: Red dove Inn [Re: BleuEyed]
Red22 Offline

I loved the place. Have you been there BE?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >