FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#576365 --- 05/13/07 08:31 PM Mitch McConnell leaves it up to the Iraqis
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Rather than make a decision on the facts of the failure in Iraq Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is leaving it up to the Iraqis to decide for him. Isn't that leadership?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top-ranking Republican in the U.S. Senate on Sunday expressed frustration with the Iraqi government, saying Republicans were "overwhelmingly disappointed" with the lack of political progress.
"The Iraqi government is a huge disappointment," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told CNN'S Late Editing on Sunday.
Citing media reports, McConnell said some lawmakers in Iraq's parliament wanted a vote to ask the United States to leave.

"I want to assure you, if they vote to ask us to leave, we'll be glad to comply with their request," he said.

FingerLakes1.com
#576369 --- 05/13/07 09:19 PM Re: Mitch McConnell leaves it up to the Iraqis [Re: Retired Soldier]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
I think the Iraqi government probably realizes that their biggest problem is the presence of a foreign occupying force in their country. Having the people responsible for tens of thousands of deaths and the sorry state of that country (just read today that the WHO says that 70% of Iraqis don't even have basic sanitation) is without a doubt destroying the tiny bit of credibility the Iraqi government had in the first place, and making it physically impossible to improve the situation there at all. I also think that if the Iraqi people AND their government want Bush to get out (not to mention the people in the US who he's supposedly "serving" while completely ignoring their feelings regarding this failed mess), he should listen. Who, after all, does he think he is?

#576382 --- 05/13/07 10:00 PM Re: Mitch McConnell leaves it up to the Iraqis [Re: LaughinWillow]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Since getting out will be even more complicated than going in, he needs to listen and begin planning the withdrawal now, or he will leave a huge mess for the Democratic President who will succeed him. Unfortunately, I don't think bush2 will come out of his bubble until January '09.