FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#574558 --- 05/09/07 03:56 PM 4 year old falls in Gorge
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
I just could not imagine having this happen....

T-burg Fire Dept. pulls child from gorge
By Raymond Drumsta
Journal Staff

TRUMANSBURG — A 4-year-old girl was airlifted from Taughannock Falls State Park in stable condition after the stroller she was in rolled and fell 15 feet into Taughannock Gorge Tuesday afternoon.

Emergency personnel, including Trumansburg firefighters, responded to the scene at about 1 p.m. They initially called for an Ithaca Fire Department rope-rescue team, but cancelled it when they found it wasn't necessary, said Trumansburg Fire Chief Jason Fulton.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We got her out ourselves,” Fulton said.

Emergency medical personnel treated the girl at the scene and stabilized her for the airlift to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, Fulton said. They were worried about the possibility of a head injury, he added.
A Mercy Flight Central helicopter airlifted the girl from a landing zone near the lake shore in Taughannock Falls State Park at about 2:05 p.m.

The girl's condition was stable when she was airlifted from the park, Fulton said.

The girl was in the park with her family on a daytrip, the girl's mother said. They were walking back from the falls when the stroller rolled off the path and fell into the creek, she said.

“My other daughter didn't set the brakes on the stroller,” the mother said. “She bent down to pick up some sunglasses, and the stroller rolled. It happened very quickly.”

Bangs Ambulance and the New York State Park Police also took part in the rescue, Fulton said.

rdrumsta@ithacajournal.com

Originally published May 9, 2007

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

FingerLakes1.com
#574561 --- 05/09/07 04:00 PM Re: 4 year old falls in Gorge [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
There was a story out of Australia recently - an Australian celeb was running w/ her infant (definitely under a year old) and stopped in a park to answer her cell or tie her shoe. She didn't throw the brake and when she turned back from whatever she was doing the stroller was gone. Her child had rolled into the river nearby and died. Very sad. I'll post the link if I find it.

#574569 --- 05/09/07 04:19 PM Re: 4 year old falls in Gorge [Re: past tense]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
I was a paranoid dad when the kids were little. I would have a death grip on strollers when I walked them. I also was constanly watching them with my nerves so tight I'm surprised I didnt have a stroke. It would be so bad i would miss whole conversations with people because i would always be paying attention to where the kids were. I still do it now but not as bad. I only drive around the block evey 30 minutes now to check on them when they leave the house.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#574581 --- 05/09/07 04:29 PM Re: 4 year old falls in Gorge [Re: Gio]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
The location where this Australian woman lost her child had been previously in the news for the same thing - another parent had their stroller slip into the water there. I'm sure they regret the seconds during which their eyes were not on the stroller, but it sounds like some fencing might be in order. Not sure about the Taughannock location where this little one went over though.

#574585 --- 05/09/07 04:39 PM Re: 4 year old falls in Gorge [Re: Gio]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I wouldn't call it "paranoid"; I'd call it being a good parent who payed attention. You'd probably make a good boat Captain; that's mostly a matter of considering what might go wrong at any given point.

#575815 --- 05/11/07 09:38 PM Re: 4 year old falls in Gorge [Re: Gio]
Sunni Offline

Originally Posted By: Gio
I was a paranoid dad when the kids were little. I would have a death grip on strollers when I walked them. I also was constanly watching them with my nerves so tight I'm surprised I didnt have a stroke. It would be so bad i would miss whole conversations with people because i would always be paying attention to where the kids were. I still do it now but not as bad. I only drive around the block evey 30 minutes now to check on them when they leave the house.

What a wonderful parent you are !!!! I understand what you mean, I missed many conversations and I use to pick my son up from a block away when he had his bike if it was dark.