FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#574417 --- 05/09/07 02:09 PM Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot?
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Updated:2007-05-09 03:18:25
Sharpton Denies Disputing Romney's Faith
By GLEN JOHNSON
AP
BOSTON (May 9) -- The Rev. Al Sharpton, who recently urged that radio host Don Imus be fired for making a racially insensitive remark, said in a debate that "those of us who believe in God" will defeat Republican Mitt Romney for the White House. But Sharpton denied he was questioning the Mormon's own belief in God.

Rather, the New York Democrat said he was contrasting himself with Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author he was debating at the time.

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," Sharpton said Monday during a debate with Hitchens at the New York Public Library's Beaux-Arts headquarters.

The comment was first reported Tuesday in a blog on The New York Times's Web site.

The Romney campaign, which has been wary of campaign trail criticism of Romney's faith, jumped on the Sharpton comment. If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve as president.

"It is terribly disheartening and disappointing to hear Reverend Sharpton offer such appalling comments about a fellow American's faith," said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. "America is a nation of many faiths and common values, and bigotry toward anyone because of their beliefs is unacceptable."

Romney himself said Monday during an appearance on Fox News program "Hannity and Colmes": "I think there are differences between different faiths in this country. And there will be battles between different religions. ... That's a great thing about this country. We don't decide who's going to be in office based on what church they go to."

In a tape of the debate, Sharpton can be heard defending the role of religion in the civil rights movement and shunning any suggestion that there wasn't a religious underpinning to the efforts of its leader, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Then Sharpton spoke of Romney, although a tape reviewed by The Associated Press does not reveal why.

In a later interview with the AP, Sharpton denied questioning Romney's belief in God and suggested the Romney camp was trying to stir up a controversy because of their political differences.

"What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican," Sharpton said. "A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don't believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God."

He said he was contrasting himself and other believers with Hitchens, who is the author of a new book, "God Is Not Great."

Last month, Sharpton led the calls for Imus' ouster last month after the talk show host referred to members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-05-08 23:14:07

FingerLakes1.com
#574425 --- 05/09/07 02:12 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
Al Sharpton is a loser and a scum bag, he's always been a scum bag and will always be a scum bag, he's a racist and a band wagon jumper, so I guess adding bigot to his vast resume is appropriate.

#574543 --- 05/09/07 03:44 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Jelloshot]
LaughinWillow Offline

Loc: State of Emergency
It's hard to say what he actually meant without hearing the tape of it. If he was debating an atheist, it's certainly possible that he was referring to the person he was debating rather than making a comment about Mormons. As it is, some significant percentage of americans have said in repeated polls that they wouldn't vote for a non-christian for president - so I'd say most of the country is bigoted.

#574546 --- 05/09/07 03:47 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Strawberry Jam]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Sure; he's always been an ignorant, loudmouthed bigot. I'd be really surprised if any on these forums say otherwise.

Edited by VM Smith (05/09/07 03:48 PM)

#574560 --- 05/09/07 03:59 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: VM Smith]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
Mormons are evil...everyone knows that. I say you go big Al!!!

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#574562 --- 05/09/07 04:06 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Gio]
Sausage Offline

Loc: The Meat Grinder
Never been to Hill Cumora?

#574568 --- 05/09/07 04:16 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: LaughinWillow]
mutantmaster Offline

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Don King...they're all the same person!

#574593 --- 05/09/07 04:46 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Sausage]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Al Sharpton is a big mouth. I don't personally pay much attention to what comes out of his mouth.

Yes, I have been to the Pagent at HC. It was the first and only time I actually paid any attention to the beliefs of the Mormon's. Their beliefs are kind of freakish to me, but then again, many of the beliefs of most religeous groups are out there in left field at times.

#574594 --- 05/09/07 04:50 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I don't see how believing you get your own planet is any more or less weird than thinking a piece of bread and a cup of wine turn into flesh and blood (literally) and then consuming them - on a weekly basis - for salvation. Let's face it - religion is weird, and you have to be able to suspend belief and knowledge of the physical world in order to subscribe to almost any of it: Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or otherwise.

That being said, we need people like Sharpton just like we need people like Fred Phelps - otherwise how would we know where the hell the middle is?

#574605 --- 05/09/07 05:02 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: past tense]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The scarey thing is that we're all blood relatives of people like Sharpton and Phelps.

Edited by VM Smith (05/09/07 05:02 PM)

#574608 --- 05/09/07 05:05 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: past tense]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I really could do without the likes of Fred Phelps.

#574980 --- 05/10/07 04:50 AM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Hey, you know what's funny? I looked at this real quick and I thought it said, "Al Sharpton: Is he a faggot?" HA HA HA HA!!

#575166 --- 05/10/07 04:27 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: AbuDhabi]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva
The Mormons can brag about there top person being on the FBI's 10 most wanted list at one time. That is a major accomplishment.

Besides who wants more then one wife...sheesh?

#575176 --- 05/10/07 04:49 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
What top Mormon was on the 10 Most Wanted list?

#575182 --- 05/10/07 05:09 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Josephus]
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Warren Jeffs?

#575346 --- 05/10/07 08:03 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
1m4u Offline

Loc: Yates Co
Warren Jeffs is not a "Morman"

#575350 --- 05/10/07 08:04 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: TRD_Tacoma]
1m4u Offline

Loc: Yates Co
Warren Jeffs is not a "Mormon"

#575416 --- 05/10/07 09:16 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: 1m4u]
greenelf Offline

Hey, the official Mormon church is anti-polygamy now-has been for a while. (Anybody watching HBO's "Big Love?" Gives you little insight into what a hassle multi-partner marriage really is.) The Mormons absolutely believe in God-they just think Jesus hung out in South America for a while-and there's a town in Japan that believes he hung out there, too. I mean, he's Jesus-who's to say he couldn't be in several places at once? Al Sharpton in a clever lying old carpetbagger obsessed with himself-I have heard him make completely ridiculous statements on many occasions-and I think I saw him get into a near fistfight on the Morton Downey Junior Show back in the 80's. He has as much chance of ever holding a serious political office as a snowball in hell.

#575461 --- 05/11/07 12:24 AM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: greenelf]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

He's a Mormon 'mutt'.

Kind of like Al Sharpton....what church is he a reverend of???

#575640 --- 05/11/07 12:55 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: Taxpayer14456]
greenelf Offline

...the Church of What's Happenin' Now, Baby......

#576031 --- 05/12/07 03:46 PM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: greenelf]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

The church of me me me

#576175 --- 05/13/07 02:24 AM Re: Al Sharpton: Is he a bigot? [Re: greenelf]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"I mean, he's Jesus-who's to say he couldn't be in several places at once?"

I once saw Him in an oil slick on cayuga Lake; he was waving to me, while playing a Jew's harp. That would be a miracle, right there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >