FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#569990 --- 04/29/07 05:15 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Gio]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
VM is correct.

Put aside the technological advances, Gio, and look at the quality of individual soldiers. Yes, the firepower and accuracy of weapons is substantially greater than it was in the 60's, but when you are fighting an insurgency those technical advantages become nullified and the quality of the individual soldier comes to be most important.

FingerLakes1.com
#570091 --- 04/30/07 12:27 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Retired Soldier]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: Retired Soldier
but when you are fighting an insurgency those technical advantages become nullified

Yes. Night vision and unmanned spy planes serve no purpose when fighting an insurgency.

#570131 --- 04/30/07 03:48 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
...and more people with such issues as drug abuse and criminal records.

Oh, no! Not drug-abusing criminals!!

;-)

#570149 --- 04/30/07 06:17 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Al Kida]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Al Kida
but when you are fighting an insurgency those technical advantages become nullified

Yes. Night vision and unmanned spy planes serve no purpose when fighting an insurgency.

I know that English is only a 5th language for you, and that English is difficult, but you must persevere; it is Allah's will. Suppose your donkey contracts an STD, and you have to study up on it? Do you think that the Arab Doctors will have 21st (or even 14th century) knowledge of the malady? Think about how lonely life would be without her companionship and affection? You wouldn't even have Scotch, Western movies, or Hip Hop to console yourself with!

He wrote, "... the firepower and accuracy of weapons is substantially greater than it was in the 60's, but when you are fighting an insurgency THOSE technical...". Aku Aku!

#570156 --- 04/30/07 08:04 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: Al Kida

I know that English is only a 5th language for you, and that English is difficult, but you must persevere; it is Allah's will. Suppose your donkey contracts an STD, and you have to study up on it? Do you think that the Arab Doctors will have 21st (or even 14th century) knowledge of the malady?

If the donkey is one of his wives, he will have to pass the STD on to his other wives so as to be assured of treating them all equally.

#570165 --- 04/30/07 09:20 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi
...and more people with such issues as drug abuse and criminal records.

Oh, no! Not drug-abusing criminals!!

;-)

Well, maybe the services could do with a few of them; others could go to Panama.

#570308 --- 04/30/07 03:48 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: VM Smith]
Sausage Offline

Loc: The Meat Grinder
I would rather that Britney be enlisted in the Air Force and do a world wide tour of her in the blue skirt and black Corfram heels.... yowza!

#570317 --- 04/30/07 04:05 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Sausage]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
pre-shaved head or post?

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#570319 --- 04/30/07 04:06 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Gio]
Sausage Offline

Hmmmm why give me this choice!!!???!?
Arrrgh I cant decide!
post maybe?

#570516 --- 05/01/07 02:40 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: VM Smith]
Al Kida Offline

Do you think that the Arab Doctors will have 21st (or even 14th century) knowledge of the malady?

We need no doctors as Allah provides all that we need.

Infidel!

#570712 --- 05/01/07 01:37 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Al Kida]
Sausage Offline

Yea? And how do you repair the drones?

#570901 --- 05/01/07 10:24 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Sausage]
Al Kida Offline

Originally Posted By: Sausage

I will not stand by while you call Mr. Retired Soldier a drone!!!

Infidel!

#571013 --- 05/02/07 04:07 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Sausage]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: Sausage

The drones strap on vests laden with explosives, and God welcomes them home.

#571286 --- 05/02/07 05:53 PM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: AbuDhabi]
Sausage Offline

Yea to Hell.. heh

#571470 --- 05/03/07 02:02 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Retired Soldier]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
VM is correct.

Put aside the technological advances, Gio, and look at the quality of individual soldiers. Yes, the firepower and accuracy of weapons is substantially greater than it was in the 60's, but when you are fighting an insurgency those technical advantages become nullified and the quality of the individual soldier comes to be most important.

Hog-wash. Put aside the technological advances??? well that is just plain silly. Why put aside the weaponry and aids you have been trained to use to fight with? Your arguement does not hold water.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#571629 --- 05/03/07 10:59 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Gio]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

We are discussing the quality of the individual soldier in Army today versus that of the draft Army of 40-50 years ago. We are not talking about not using current weapons and technology, only separating that factor out of the mix.
People who have no experience in the draft Army are saying it was not as good because people did not want to serve. That is rubbish. Yes, there were college grads that would have preferred to be elsewhere, but they had a lot more to lose than some punk who was there because the judge told him to enlist or go to jail or somebody who was snuck in with a waiver and falsified test scores. Therefore, the college grads soldiered hard, made rank, and then turned down invitations to renlist. Often the punks wanted to reenlist but were barred from doing so because they were misfits in regular society and misfits in the Army.

#571633 --- 05/03/07 11:06 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Retired Soldier]
Al Kida Offline

Often the punks wanted to reenlist but were barred from doing so because they were misfits in regular society and misfits in the Army.

Allah must have truly been smiling upon you when they made an exception in your case. You are a shining example for misfits everywhere!!!

#571637 --- 05/03/07 11:14 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
We are discussing the quality of the
People who have no experience in the draft Army are saying it was not as good because people did not want to serve. That is rubbish.......Often the punks wanted to reenlist but were barred from doing so because they were misfits in regular society and misfits in the Army.

Such a nice way to talk about your fellow soldiers, RS. Punks? What because they were not college educated? Because they were not your social equal?You are just outrageous!

The only reason you want a draft now is to light another fire under the peace activists and start the bonfires to burn draft cards.

#571665 --- 05/03/07 11:44 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Strawberry Jam]
Retired Soldier Offline
Silver Member

SJ, stick to trying to express your own half-baked ideas and stop trying to put words in my mouth. I lived through McNamara's 100,000 where he tried to turn the miltiary into a socialization service by allowing 100,000 sub-par individuals into the service every year. It was a disaster.
The draft provided quality troops. The volunteer Army worked pretty well in peace time but it is not working now because the best and the brightest don't want to serve.

#571671 --- 05/03/07 11:50 AM Re: Pay soars to keep people in military [Re: Retired Soldier]
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
SJ, stick to trying to express your own half-baked ideas and stop trying to put words in my mouth. I lived through McNamara's 100,000 where he tried to turn the miltiary into a socialization service by allowing 100,000 sub-par individuals into the service every year. It was a disaster.
The draft provided quality troops. The volunteer Army worked pretty well in peace time but it is not working now because the best and the brightest don't want to serve.

Excuse me? You do not think that are fine young men and women in the srvice are the best and the brightest? You think our men and women in the service are punks as you said of the drafted ones of years ago?

Well I know several of them and they are by far not "punks" and they are very bright.

You are so anti-military you stink!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >