FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#559132 --- 04/12/07 10:47 AM Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
CNN had a decent obit. I know a few of my family members are having a rough day...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/04/12/obit.vonnegut.ap/index.html

What's your favorite Vonnegut novel? Quote? Idea? Joke? I saw him do an interview not too long ago on The Daily Show and he was HILARIOUS.

FingerLakes1.com
#559378 --- 04/12/07 04:43 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: past tense]
greenelf Offline

He was a genius-a cranky, bitter, chainsmoking alcoholic genius. He will be greatly missed.

#559521 --- 04/12/07 07:36 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: greenelf]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
never read any of his work nor really knew much about him....

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#559584 --- 04/12/07 09:45 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: past tense]
alummule Offline

Loc: yes
What's your favorite Vonnegut novel? Quote? Idea? Joke?
By Kurt Vonnegut
Many years ago, I was so innocent I still considered it possible that we could become the humane and reasonable America so many members of my generation used to dream of. We dreamed of such an America during the Great Depression, when there were no jobs. And then we fought and often died for that dream during the Second World War, when there was no peace.

But I know now that there is not a chance in hell of America痴 becoming humane and reasonable. Because power corrupts us, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Human beings are chimpanzees who get crazy drunk on power. By saying that our leaders are power-drunk chimpanzees, am I in danger of wrecking the morale of our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East? Their morale, like so many bodies, is already shot to pieces. They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas.

覧覧覧覧覧覧-

#560155 --- 04/13/07 04:09 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: alummule]
greenelf Offline

Tell it like it is, Kurt.
(Not at all bitter or anything.)

#560221 --- 04/13/07 07:05 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: past tense]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
There are so many good quotes, PT, that I find it hard to pick a favorite, but here are 2 that I like:

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
Kurt Vonnegut

Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything.
Kurt Vonnegut

#560432 --- 04/14/07 01:15 AM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Here's mine (as I remember it, not verbatim):

There are a lot of people who aren't going to make it if they don't get some help -- and they're not going to get it.

#560436 --- 04/14/07 02:13 AM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

4 more that beg to be paired:

Kurt Vonnegut
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
[info][add][mail]
Kurt Vonnegut
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
[info][add][mail]
Kurt Vonnegut
and:

One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.
[info][add][mail]
Kurt Vonnegut, "Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004
- More quotations on: [Television]
Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.
[info][add][mail]
Kurt Vonnegut, "Cold Turkey", In These Times,

I heard him speak at Brown U. in '72. I can't remember what he said, but he was humorous.

#562793 --- 04/17/07 12:48 PM Leave it to Fox News... [Re: VM Smith]
Reinhart Faust Offline

Loc: This Island Earth
... to create such a snide, backhanded video obituary to one of America's greatest authors.

Click here, if you dare.

#562798 --- 04/17/07 12:59 PM Re: Leave it to Fox News... [Re: Reinhart Faust]
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
This is one of his classics and I've had it posted somewhere in every office I've ever had.

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."

#562912 --- 04/17/07 05:29 PM Re: Leave it to Fox News... [Re: Jelloshot]
greenelf Offline

...And so it goes...

#563084 --- 04/17/07 11:30 PM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: greenelf]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: greenelf

Maybe he had a reason to be bitter? Like maybe his perceptions are correct?

#563911 --- 04/19/07 03:33 AM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

You mean like his objection to, and hatred of, war, including Vietnam and Iraq?

#563925 --- 04/19/07 05:00 AM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: VM Smith]
AbuDhabi Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: AbuDhabi

You mean like his objection to, and hatred of, war, including Vietnam and Iraq?

That and all the other inhumanity. And the indifference of god to our plight.

#564004 --- 04/19/07 06:48 AM Re: Kurt Vonnegut: American Literary Icon [Re: AbuDhabi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"Puny man can do nothing at all to help or please God Almighty, and Luck is not the hand of God."
- Sirens of Titan

""The two prime movers in the Universe are Time and Luck."-K.V.