FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#665436 --- 10/22/07 01:21 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: joplinnbr1]
wedggie Offline

Originally Posted By: joplinnbr1
The red sux show their true colors...they will soon be watching the world series at home with everyone else. over rated, over hyped and 100 million for Dice K...more like snake eyes lol

Oh, How you do amuse me!

2007 AL Champs....Again! How sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!

FingerLakes1.com
#665585 --- 10/22/07 09:12 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Yup. The Red Sox go to the World Series, while the Yawnkees go on vacation.

#665660 --- 10/22/07 12:07 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: wedggie
I'm hanging tough, Jo-phus!

I'd like to see some Ellsbury instead of Coco-chump tomorrow.

Is it OK to let Coco-chump out of the dog house now, after that great catch in center field at the top of the 9th? ;\)

#666590 --- 10/23/07 11:25 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
wedggie Offline

OK, let him out, but keep him chained to the dugout!

#669148 --- 10/25/07 12:09 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
wedggie Offline

Oh, the Places Tulowitzki and Torrealba Won't Go!

With apologies to Dr. Seuss...

Rox
Sox
Sox on Fox Rox on Fox
Sox on Fox
Rox vs. Sox on Fox
Sox vs. Rox on Fox
Sox vs. Rox in Coors Bandbox

Sox have Jocks
Rox have Jocks
Jocks in Field or Batter's Box
Jocks with Money Box of Stocks
Papi strong as Wild Ox

Fox ex-Jocks sit in Press Box
Listen to Tim McCarver's Vox!
The insanity he Talks and Squawks
Joe Buck oughtta clean his Clocks

Rox beat Sox
Sox beat Rox

No one claims the games are Locks
And on some wood a Nation Knocks
But if the Rox Outfox the Sox
Or Gagne Walks or Beckett Balks
It surely would cause Mocks and Shocks
Requiring Whiskey on the Rocks

... and then, as Manny says, there will always be next year ... -- Mark Stebbins, 10.24.07

#669152 --- 10/25/07 12:12 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
wedggie Offline

13-1 clubbing! Beckett smokes the Rox! 1-0, going for 2!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

#669290 --- 10/25/07 02:33 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
BOSTON -- The Red Sox shouldn't be too overconfident, and the Rockies shouldn't be too frantic.
For the history of opening-game blowouts doesn't necessarily mean that the winner will go on to take the World Series. Despite a 13-1 loss to the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Wednesday night, the Rockies may be just as likely to win Game 2 on Thursday to even the best-of-seven series.

They'll have rookie Ubaldo Jimenez back at the Fens against veteran Curt Schilling in a battle of right-handers.

"One of the strengths this club has had throughout the season is our confidence, and it hasn't been shaken by the results of this game," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle after his club suffered the most lopsided Game 1 loss in World Series history. "Really, it's a series of games. That being said, this is not the way we drew it up. But I feel real confident we'll get back out there and get after it tomorrow."

That being said, three of the four teams that lost the most lopsided first games were able to win the Series. The Dodgers lost, 11-0, to the White Sox in 1959 and went on to win in six games. The Brewers knocked out the Cardinals, 10-0, in 1982 and lost the series in seven. And the 1996 Yankees -- who lost Game 1, 12-1, to the Braves -- lost Game 2 (also at Yankee Stadium), but came back to win the next four and the series in six games.

Only the 1987 Twins, who clubbed the Cardinals, 10-1, in Game 1, went on to win the series in seven games.

Edited by BraveHeart (10/25/07 02:34 PM)
AMF

#669291 --- 10/25/07 02:33 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
stargatersg1 Offline

Loc: Geneva, NY

GO SOCKS GO...WOOHOOOOOOO

#670087 --- 10/26/07 01:48 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: stargatersg1]
wedggie Offline

Originally Posted By: stargatersg1

GO SOCKS GO...WOOHOOOOOOO

"Rox get Oki-doked" 2-1, 2-oh lead, heading "to the mountains" !

SWEEP'em, Boys!

#670164 --- 10/26/07 03:05 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Heading to the mountains with Funky Okajima. ;\)

#670215 --- 10/26/07 03:39 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
Highlander Offline

#670219 --- 10/26/07 03:42 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Highlander]
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
YouKiss looks like a MadMan , a real psyco LOL
AMF

#670757 --- 10/27/07 08:43 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: BraveHeart]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

He kind of reminds me of Jay Buhner.

#671004 --- 10/27/07 03:38 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Funky Okajima

To the tune of Funky Cold Medina...

The Rox came into Boston
Looking for some action
But like our old friend Steinbrenner,
They couldn’t get no satisfaction!

Clint Hurdle told his boys,
"We just won 20 of 21.
Now let's go into Fenway Park
and have a little fun!"

But Francis got spooked
when the crowd yelled "YOOOUK!"
Holliday kept screaming, "WHY?!!"
And both our aces
And Paps' scary faces
Made Tulowitzki cry!

So Clint walked to the Boston dugout
And saw this guy named Tito
Clint said to the guy,
"Why are you so fly?"
He said,
"Funky Ohhh-kajima!"

Funky Ohhh-kajima!

Then Tito told Clint Hurdle
Some more of his tricks
He said, "Make Pedroia your leadoff man
And you'll get lots of hits!
Our number two's lucky goatee
Is thicker than molasses!
And Papi and Manny hit it so far
You have to get out your glasses!
We've got Lugo and Coco
Bringin' all their love
Mike Lowell with his golden bat
And his Golden Glove!

We’ve got slammin' outfielders
Like Ellsbury and Drew
But of course you need
great pitching too
Like Funky Ohhh-kajima!

Funky Ohhh-kajima!

Now, Beckett's got a curve
That could not be any meaner
Then Schilling and Dice-K show up
And take you to the cleaners

Jon Lester is our come back kid
And for Timlin, it's old hat
Del Carmen, Lopez, & Gagne
Might just ruin your at bat!

When we needed one more,
Kyle Snyder was the answer
And of course our lights out closer
Who is one mean Riverdancer

We’ve got Cora, Kielty, and Hinske
Always ready when they get the call
Our back-up catcher Dougie
can even catch a knuckleball!

And you need great vets like Captain Tek
To calm the young guys' fears
We’ve got this great guy, Wake
We’ve counted on for 13 years!"

Clint looked appalled!
He said, "I heard we'd win it all
If I ate a Fenway weinah!"

Tito said, "No, no,
I tell ya, Bro
It's the Funky Ohhh-kajima!"

#671444 --- 10/29/07 09:43 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
And so another season closes. Kinda took the fun out of it with the sweep and all.

#671447 --- 10/29/07 09:44 AM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Greymane]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I don't know. There were a couple of times where I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I'm happy with the results. \:\)

#671602 --- 10/29/07 12:04 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
wedggie Offline

DENVER -- "The Red Sox can have their Nation. The Yankees have the universe."
-- Hank Steinbrenner, New York Yankees senior vice president

Not anymore, they don't.

WORLD SERIES

Rockies-Red Sox
series page

For the second time in four seasons, the Boston Red Sox are World Series champions and the indisputable rulers of the baseball universe as we know it. They are the Roman Empire of the postseason, having won eight World Series games in a row. Hail, Tito.

That the Yankees' Steinbrenner says otherwise is one-third arrogance, one-third ignorance and one-third stupidity. Then again, that sort of self-infatuation helps explain why the Yankees haven't played in a World Series since 2003 and haven't hoisted the sterling silver Commissioner's Trophy above their heads since 2000.

Didn't anybody from the House of Steinbrenner (George and sons Hank and executive vice president Hal) see what the Red Sox just did to the Colorado Rockies? Four games, four wins. They could have played a best-of-17 series, and the Red Sox still would have swept.

This was the Europeans vs. USA in the Ryder Cup, New England Patriots vs. anybody, chocolate eclairs vs. Britney. Less than two weeks ago, the Red Sox were a loss away from playoff elimination. Now, they reek of champagne again.

Sunday night, in the plastic-covered visitors clubhouse of Coors Field, the Red Sox popped open green bottles of Domaine Ste. Michelle and soaked themselves in victory. DH/first baseman David Ortiz, looking ridiculous with blue swim goggles covering his eyes, stood on a small stage and yelled playful obscenities at his teammates. Ballplayers.

Then a half-dozen Red Sox shook their bottles and aimed them at their beloved Big Papi. He danced in the champagne like a child dancing in the gushing water of a fire hydrant.

AP Photo/Ed Andrieski

Let the good times roll. For the second time in four seasons, the Red Sox are on top of the world.

"When I first came here in '03, it was like the most impossible thing to get done," said Ortiz of Boston's winning a world championship.

But then the Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals to claim the 2004 World Series. Now this.

The Nation keeps annexing territory that once belonged to the Yankees. And with each championship, the Red Sox are reversing the conventional financial wisdom of the sport. Fat payrolls -- and the Red Sox have the second-fattest in the majors at $143 million -- can work if the people operating the wallet know what they're doing.

The Red Sox know what they're doing. They are what the other big-money franchises -- New York Mets ($116 million payroll in 2007), Los Angeles Angels ($109 million), Chicago White Sox ($109 million), Los Angeles Dodgers ($108 million), Seattle Mariners ($106 million), Chicago Cubs ($99 million), Detroit Tigers ($95 million), Baltimore Orioles ($95 million) and, yes, even the Yankees ($195 million) -- want to be when they grow up.

"I think if you look at who the stars were of this Series, it's not all about payroll," said Red Sox owner John Henry. "It's never all about payroll. … But it takes 25 guys to win. The guys at the bottom of this pay scale were just as important to this team … [pause for Henry getting champagne-sprayed by shortstop Julio Lugo] … as the guys at the top."

Ortiz made a beeline toward Henry. There were hugs, then Ortiz announced, "The best owner in baseball." Henry beamed.

"I think we have a good, young team," Henry said. "I think we have a solid team that's going to be strong for some time. But the competition isn't getting any easier in the American League. It's a really tough league."

Money guarantees nothing in baseball except expectations. But what happened to the Red Sox this season, as well as in 2004, isn't an accident. They spent money, lots of it, but they mostly spent it wisely. They did a lot of things wisely.

This is the 103rd World Series. Only two teams have won successive championships by 4-0 sweeps: the Red Sox (2007, '04) and, before they began to self-destruct, the Yankees (1998-99). It is entirely possible, if not probable, that Boston could win it all next season too.

The Red Sox are the Warren Buffetts of baseball. They invest and trade well.

While the Yankees were committing $120 million to Jason Giambi in 2002, the Red Sox waited a year and took a $1.25 million flier on a DH discarded by the Minnesota Twins. Maybe you've heard of him … Ortiz.

When the Yankees signed starting pitcher Carl Pavano, the Red Sox would later trade for Pavano's Florida Marlins teammate, Josh Beckett. To be fair, Boston also pursued Pavano. Pavano's Yankees career is deader than a Barry Bonds-Bud Selig photo op. Meanwhile, Beckett is building a résumé that one day could include Cooperstown.

The Red Sox aren't nostalgic or sentimental. Pedro Martinez? Johnny Damon? Enjoy New York, fellas. General manager Theo Epstein and his staff designate a value to a player and rarely waver from that value. That's why Damon is in a Yankees uni and Pedro in a Mets uni. Epstein isn't afraid of selective personnel turnover. If he were, that '04 team might be intact still.

Did I mention the 2005 draft? Pedro's departure meant a supplemental choice used to select Clay Buchholz, whose second career start resulted in a no-hitter last month. Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who apparently hits nothing but doubles, was taken with the Orlando Cabrera pick. He hit .438 for the Series. Pitcher Craig Hansen came with the Derek Lowe pick.

Depending on the situation, the Red Sox aren't afraid to ignore slotting and signability issues. They invest heavily in scouting the Caribbean and Asia. They understand baseball has no borders.

They aren't perfect. (Hello, Edgar Renteria. And until recently, hello, J.D. Drew.) But if Epstein wants someone, if he's absolutely convinced that player will be the difference between a duck boat parade or losing, the Red Sox will cowboy up.

They outbid and outsmarted the Yankees on Daisuke Matsuzaka. So the Yankees settled for Dice-K Really Lite, Kei Igawa. Igawa was a disaster, finishing 2-3 with a 6.25 ERA.

"We just know that we're blesssed to have great resources," Epstein said. "But that in and of itself doesn't get you anywhere, as other teams have shown."

Greed, as Gordon Gekko said, is good. Or it can be. The Red Sox want more. More playoff appearances (that's the starting point for Epstein) and, if possible, more moments like Sunday night, when commissioner Selig handed them another World Series trophy.

A payroll of $143 million, when used the way the Red Sox use those dollars, can result in more of everything, including another championship run next season.

"This team is built well," said veteran reliever Mike Timlin. "You can't predict what's going to happen, but this team is built extremely well."

The outfield of Manny Being Manny, Ellsbury and Drew returns. Third baseman, Series MVP and free agent-to-be Mike Lowell will be asked back at a nice raise. If he leaves, Kevin Youkilis might take his place. Or maybe, just maybe, the Red Sox will romance Alex Rodriguez again (his ego-driven agent, Scott Boras, chose Sunday night to make the announcement of A-Rod's opt-out). It isn't as if they can't afford him, although Red Sox fans chanted "Don't sign A-Rod" as the Boston players and management mingled on the field hours after the game.

Big Papi is signed through 2010, with a club option in 2011. Dustin Pedroia looks like a fixture at second. Lugo? Not sure. Catcher and captain Jason Varitek is here for at least another season.

The starting rotation is a half-light-year ahead of the Yankees'. Beckett, Jon Lester, Buchholz, Dice-K, Tim Wakefield, possibly Curt Schilling (doubt it) or a free agent (don't doubt it). And the bullpen is mostly state-of-the-art (with Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima, Manny Delcarmen as the centerpieces).

Manager Terry Francona will return, as will Epstein, who appears to have designated his gorilla suit (remember his walkout two years ago?) for assignment.

"We've got a lot of young guys, we've got a lot of talent, a lot of guys in their prime," said Lester, who won the Game 4 clincher. "It should be fun for years to come, hopefully. Put some runs together and be in the playoffs every year."

Henry had it right when he said Steinbrenner and the Yankees "can have Mars and Pluto. We'll take Red Sox Nation."

They'll take that. And more trophies.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com. He co-authored Jerome Bettis' autobiography, "The Bus: My Life In and Out of a Helmet," which is available now.

#671610 --- 10/29/07 12:10 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: wedggie]
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
I find it interesting that instead of celebrating a WS Championship, they are still trying to prove that they are not inferior to the Yankees. Celebrats have fun, worry about the Yankees next year. Freakin Chowds...lol.

#671620 --- 10/29/07 12:23 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Coach64]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Coach64
I find it interesting that instead of celebrating a WS Championship, they are still trying to prove that they are not inferior to the Yankees.

No need to prove anything. One team went to the World Series, while another went into their off season. One club is a rising dynasty, while the other is quickly becoming a bunch of has-beens. Now that Torre has left town (smart move), watch the rest of the pin-stripped stars follow him.

#671626 --- 10/29/07 12:28 PM Re: RED SOX 2007 [Re: Josephus]
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
Im not disagreeing with you, im commenting on the article and RSN in general....If the Yankees had just won, i wouldnt be concerened with how much better the they were than the Sox, I would know that since they had just won the title.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >