FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#522762 --- 02/05/07 09:58 PM ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed......
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Does anyone know how the quality of the picture would be if I hooked up a 720P LCD to just an extra cable line in say a bedroom? Will the picture be just as good as a regular tube TV or be better......

I don't want to pay for a second digital box.....

Thanks for any info.....

FingerLakes1.com
#522763 --- 02/06/07 07:20 PM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed......
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
slightly better than an older tube TV. But you might not even notice the difference with a low res analog signal. Also depends on your cable line. Some homes seem to have lots of noise on channels 4-6.

#522764 --- 02/06/07 09:19 PM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed......
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks Rascal.... I need to buy a new TV for the bedroom and hate to buy a 27" 100 pound CRT when for a few hundred more I can have a 32" 50 pound LCD, even though it is a 720P.

The guy at circuit city tells me that it will look like crap on a regular cable line, but I don't really believe him. Wanted to hear from someone who might have more expertise....

Anyone else want to chime in?

#522765 --- 02/07/07 05:18 AM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed......
eminy Offline

compared to the feed they have in store it probably will look like crap. Crispclean LCD displays can be very unforgiving when fed an inferior quality feed

make sure you keep all packing and reciepts and if it looks like crap take it back (or get another digital box upstairs)

movies from DVD would probably look pretty good on it though :-)

#522766 --- 02/07/07 07:57 AM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed......
Bryankees Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
It also depends on how close you will be viewing from. If you get 10-15 feet away from this TV, it would probably look ok on regular cable. But if you are going to be inside of that, I would go a bit smaller with the TV, or the digital box.
Heck.. call Time Warner and tell them you are considering the Dish package to get multiple recievers without extra expense and see if they offer you a deal.

#525055 --- 02/13/07 12:43 PM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed...... [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
AsusP5B Offline

I think it would depend on what size it is. I think overall it will look like crap. First of all you really wouldn't be viewing anything in 720p without using an HDTV cable box - it would be more like 480p so then you have to ask yourself, why have a 720p LCD TV? You might as well call Time Warner to swap the box - it's free to upgrade, just costs more for the ESPN HD tier if you want it. I have a JVC 61" 1080i RP and regular TV looks like crap on it - some stations come in better than others, but most non-HD channels will usually look pretty shoddy on these newer tv's - but the HD quality is to die for and it's hard to ever watch SD again.

Another factor would be what brand is it? That would make a huge difference too.

Eminy is right - DVD's will probably look pretty awesome, and if you use an upconverter DVD player might look even better.

#525185 --- 02/13/07 03:37 PM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed...... [Re: AsusP5B]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Well, I need another tv set and don't want to put money in a CRT when for a few hundred more you can get a 720P LCD. My problem is that the blood sucking Cable company wants more money a month for a second digital box to properly exploit the 720P.

So I was wondering if the 720P would look just as good as a CRT if I did not get the second digital box.....

#525245 --- 02/13/07 05:21 PM Re: ?? LCD 720P on regular cable feed...... [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
AsusP5B Offline

Here's another thought - I don't know how much you have to spend but you could probably get into a nice 42" DLP for under a grand - use that as your primary TV, have Cable swap out the box with an HDTV box so you could enjoy Hi-Def, then put the CRT tv in the bedroom and have the best of both worlds.

Don't be afraid to check out the deals on the web - look for free shipping deals, no tax, and you'll also probably save a couple of hundred dollars on the pricetag to boot. Don't be afraid of refurbished items either. Think about the LCD vs DLP before you purchase the LCD.