#513675 --- 01/19/07 01:10 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
aaaaawwwwwww..no whyed ya go an do dat

FingerLakes1.com
#513676 --- 01/19/07 01:16 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
WaterinMySoul Offline

Loc: Near the Water
cuz I cood and thought it was the "right thing" to do...

#513677 --- 01/19/07 01:24 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
donedirtcheap Offline

Loc: boondocks
well then...you the da girl...I retract mine too

#513678 --- 01/19/07 05:59 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
You guyz are nuts!

#513679 --- 01/19/07 07:10 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Good job you quiters! 2 years 9 months for me.

#513680 --- 01/19/07 07:35 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
Braveheart..... what is the web address of the site that gives you the $$$ saved info?

#513681 --- 01/19/07 07:37 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
btw, this was the LEAD story on ABC news last night!

#513682 --- 01/19/07 07:54 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

Loc: TOV Seneca Falls
AMF

#513683 --- 01/21/07 07:36 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

thanks for the link BH... I might use it as motivation... I have to call MVP tomorrow to see if they accepted the pre-auth for my CHantix.

#513684 --- 01/21/07 09:37 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
LOTE Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Lurking
I haven't had a smoke since yesterday (Saturday) morning...... pretty good for me!

If you're not livin on the edge
you're not livin

#513685 --- 01/26/07 08:20 AM Stopping the urge to smoke
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
One Way to Stop Smoking!

The New York Times
Printer Friendly Format Sponsored By

January 26, 2007
In Clue to Addiction, a Brain Injury Halts Smoking
By BENEDICT CAREY

Scientists studying stroke patients are reporting today that an injury to a specific part of the brain, near the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit. People with the injury who stopped smoking found that their bodies, as one man put it, “forgot the urge to smoke.”

The finding, which appears in the journal Science, is based on a small study. But experts say it is likely to alter the course of addiction research, pointing researchers toward new ideas for treatment.

While no one is suggesting brain injury as a solution for addiction, the finding suggests that therapies might focus on the insula, a prune-size region under the frontal lobes that is thought to register gut feelings and is apparently a critical part of the network that sustains addictive behavior.

Previous research on addicts focused on regions of the cortex involved in thinking and decision making. But while those regions are involved in maintaining habits, the new study suggests that they are not as central as the insula is.

The study did not examine dependence on alcohol, cocaine or other substances. Yet smoking is at least as hard to quit as any other habit, and it probably involves the same brain circuits, experts said. Most smokers who manage to quit do so only after repeated attempts, and the craving for cigarettes usually lasts for years, if not a lifetime.

“This is the first time we’ve shown anything like this, that damage to a specific brain area could remove the problem of addiction entirely,” said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which financed the study, along with the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. “It’s absolutely mind-boggling.”

Others cautioned that scientists still knew little about the widely distributed neural networks involved in sustaining habits.

“One has to be careful not to extrapolate too much based on brain injuries to what’s going on in all addictive behavior, in healthy brains,” said Dr. Martin Paulus, a psychiatric researcher at the University of California, San Diego, and the San Diego V.A. Medical Center. Still, Dr. Paulus said, the study “opens up a whole new way to think about addiction.”

The researchers, from the University of Iowa and the University of Southern California, examined 32 former smokers, all of whom had suffered a brain injury. The men and women were lucid enough to answer a battery of questions about their habits, and to rate how hard it was to quit and the strength of their subsequent urges to smoke.

They all had smoked at least five cigarettes a day for two years or more, and 16 of them said they had quit with ease, losing their cravings entirely.

The researchers performed M.R.I. scans on all of the patients’ brains to specify the location and extent of each injury.

They found that the 16 who had quit easily were far more likely to have an injury to their insula than to any other area. The researchers found no association between a diminished urge to smoke and injuries to other regions of the brain, including tissue surrounding the insula.

“There’s a whole neural circuit critical to maintaining addiction, but if you knock out this one area, it appears to wipe out the behavior,” said Dr. Antoine Bechara, a senior author of the new paper, who is a neuroscientist at the Brain and Creativity Institute at U.S.C. His co-authors were Dr. Hanna Damasio, also of U.S.C., and Nasir Naqvi and David Rudrauf of the University of Iowa.

The patients’ desire to eat, by contrast, was intact. This suggests, the authors wrote, that the insula is critical for behaviors whose bodily effects become pleasurable because they are learned, like cigarette smoking.

The insula, for years a wallflower of brain anatomy, has emerged as a region of interest based in part on recent work by Dr. Antonio Damasio, a neurologist and director of the Brain and Creativity Institute. The insula has widely distributed connections, both in the thinking cortex above, and down below in subcortical areas, like the brain stem, that maintain heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature, the body’s primal survival systems.

Based on his studies and others’, Dr. Damasio argues that the insula, in effect, maps these signals from the body’s physical plant, and integrates them so the conscious brain can interpret them as a coherent emotion.

The system works from the bottom up. First, the body senses cues in the outside world, and responds. The heart rate might elevate at the sight of a stranger’s angry face, for example; other muscles might relax in response to a pleasant whiff of smoke.

All of this happens instantaneously and unconsciously, Dr. Damasio said — until the insula integrates the information and makes it readable to the conscious regions of the brain.

“In a sense it’s not surprising that the insula is an important part of this circuit maintaining addiction, because we realized some years ago that it was going to be a critical platform for emotions,” Dr. Damasio said in a telephone interview. “It is on this platform that we first anticipate pain and pleasure, not just smoking but eating chocolate, drinking a glass of wine, all of it.”

This explains why cravings are so physical, and so hard to shake, he said: they have taken hold in the visceral reaches of the body well before they are even conscious.

Other researchers have found that the insula is activated in unpleasant circumstances, like a bad smell or the anticipation of a painful shock, or even in shoppers when they see a price that seems too high. Damage to the insula is associated with slight impairment of some social function.

While antismoking treatments based on the new findings are still a long way off, the authors suggest that therapies that replicate some of the physical sensations of the habit, like inhalers, could be useful.

And at least two previous studies suggest that people can reduce the sensation of pain by learning to modulate the activity in an area of their brain.

In experiments, healthy volunteers watched real-time M.R.I. images of a cortical region linked strongly to pain sensation and learned to moderate that neural activity, reducing the pain they felt from a heated instrument pressed to their palms. The same kind of technique could be tried with addicts watching images of their insulas.

“The question is, Can you learn to deactivate the insula?” Dr. Volkow said. “Now, everybody’s going to be looking at the insula.”

#513686 --- 01/26/07 08:33 AM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

South County would sure love to be the guy putting the electrodes on the smokers for their behavior modifacation therepy.
AMF

#513687 --- 01/26/07 08:37 AM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

eeeeeeeeeeeeek

#513688 --- 01/26/07 02:33 PM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
~Ellie~ Offline

Loc: FL1 Auxiliary Member 506
Quitting is one day at a time. If you can't get a perscription, use the OTC in combinations. Use the patch following the directions to the letter, and when a strong urge hits, chew the lower 2mg gum.

#513689 --- 01/26/07 04:08 PM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Actually I quit about 15 or 16 years ago...I posted that for Scottie, primarily...it amused me somehow

#513690 --- 01/26/07 05:46 PM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
BraveHeart Offline
Gold Member

The dimly lit room smells of sweat and old blood. The smoker tied to the chair tries to struggle free. His muscles tense as he twists and turns, he tries to yell but the tape muffles his cries.

Behind him a door opens, a figure backlit in the bright light enters the room, He holds something down by his side. The smoker unaware continues to struggle. "Hush now its going to be all right", " after the procedure you will no longer be one of them" the figure whispers softly. A look of terror wells up on the stuggling figure, harder he fights the binds that hold him.

A nervous giggle comes from the walking man. He is now behind the man in the chair. "HOLD STILL, YOU FILTHY SMOKER!!!",, "NOW you get yours"... He grabs the mans forehead and up from his side , a rusty ice pick, he places it behind the mans ear. Trying to twist away , the smoker finnaly gives up. The man with the pick eye starts to twitch. " Another Filthy Smoker corrected" he thinks to himself as he uses all of his weight to drive the pick in. The man in the chair flinches, and blinks for a moment, the blood runs from the wound as the pick is pulled out. He slumps in the chair. " Another who will smoke no more" he says out loud, but the only one who hear him are the rats waiting for thier meal.
AMF

#513691 --- 01/26/07 06:29 PM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
Gold Member

Quote:

South County would sure love to be the guy putting the electrodes on the smokers for their behavior modifacation therepy.

He'd wind up electrocuting himself.

#513692 --- 01/26/07 06:45 PM Re: Stopping the urge to smoke
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

I will be the first to sign up for the insula shock treatments!

#513693 --- 01/26/07 08:53 PM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Gold Member

Brain Damage Gives Clues On How To Quit Smoking With Ease
26 Jan 2007

US Scientists have discovered that when a small area of a smoker's brain is damaged it often makes them quit smoking easily. It is possible that this discovery could lead to treatments that target that same area of the brain to help smokers give up the habit.

The study is published in the current edition of Science.

A neuroscientist at the University Southern California in Los Angeles, Dr Antoine Bechara, conducted the study with two colleagues.

Dr Bechara and colleagues have been looking at the brains of 19 smokers who had suffered damage to the insula. In 6 of the smokers the damage was to the right part of the insula, in the remaining 13 it was to the left. Their insula damage was the result either of a stroke or surgery, for instance to remove tumours.

The insula is a small part of the brain that lies deep inside one of the folds of the cerebral cortex, the outermost region of the brain that is responsible for complex processes like memory, thinking and language (also known as grey matter).

Previous studies have suggested that the insula plays a key role in developing and maintaining addiction urges. For instance when drug addicts see images of drug taking equipment, the insula shows increased activity in brain scans. The same effect occurs in the brains of smokers when they are shown a film of people smoking.

Of the 19 smokers, Dr Bechera and colleagues discovered that 12 of them had abruptly stopped smoking directly after their injury. They had no further urges to smoke and did not smoke again. One ex-smoker, who had been on 40 unfiltered cigarettes a day before his stroke said "my body forgot the urge to smoke". He said he had had no desire to quit before his stroke.

The researchers compared this to a group of 50 smokers who had suffered brain damage, but not to the insula. Although 19 of them did quit, only four of them stopped with as much ease.

Dr Bechara and colleagues classified the permanence and ease of cessation in the two groups. The highest score of permanence and ease would be given to a person who quit within a day of suffering the brain damage, who did not start again, who found it easy (on a scale of 1 to 7 they rated the difficulty as less than 3), and they had no urge to smoke.

On this basis they found that only 4 of the 19 in the non-insula damage group qualified as having stopped with the same level of ease as the insula-damaged quitters.

In both groups, the insula damaged and the non insula damaged, the patients had been smoking at least 5 cigarettes a day for 2 years. In both groups the average age at time of brain damage was over 45, and their average age at the time of the study was 55.

Edythe London, neuropharmacologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, says in the same issue of the journal that this discovery helps to understand what happens in the brains of addicts. It lends support to the idea that the insula plays an important role in regulating the emotional responses involved in addiction. She goes on to say that "Gut feelings that are associated with cravings are probably only experienced after the information is processed in the insula".

Bechera and colleagues hope that these findings will help toward treatments to beat addiction, not only to nioctine and cigarettes but to other substances too.

"Damage to the Insula Disrupts Addiction to Cigarette Smoking."
Nasir H. Naqvi, David Rudrauf, Hanna Damasio, and Antoine Bechara.
Science 26 January 2007: Vol. 315. no. 5811, pp. 531 - 534
DOI: 10.1126/science.1135926

Click here for Abstract.

Written by: Catharine Paddock
Writer: Medical News Today
Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/healthnews.php?newsid=61688

#513694 --- 01/27/07 05:42 AM Re: Smokers/Addicts beware
Spencer~1/06/07 Offline

Loc: Port Charles
3 weeks smoke free me!!

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 >