FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
#458764 --- 12/18/06 12:21 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I totally understand the being alone. That is one reason I have refused going through a knee replacement procedure.

FingerLakes1.com
#458765 --- 12/18/06 01:09 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Being alone has its good points and its bad points. I don't mind it so much during the warmer months as I am usually outside working in the yard. It is the winter months that I find it to be a downer.

Silverfox, my aunt had a knee replacement a couple years ago. It was the best thing she ever did. For the first time in years she was able to walk without limping and being in pain. Her recovery period was quite remarkable.

#458766 --- 12/18/06 01:29 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
I agree, TRD. Being alone has good points: do what you want when you want, and have meals you like...etc. It is the darker months, the days are shorter and the nights are longer.
But, I try to get out and visit when it gets too quiet here, and I want to have conversations and such. (The dog usually tells the same stories...lol).
I guess I am dreading this whole procedure more because during the other ones, someone was always here to watch over me and help me when needed. That someone chose to walk away and I truly understand that now.
Just all hitting at the same time: shorter daylight, holidays, procedure...oy vay!
I am looking forward to a New Year and a new start. 2006 was a little rough on me. Better days are ahead, I just know it.

#458767 --- 12/18/06 01:36 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

I find meal times to be difficult. If I have to cook for just myself, I end up not cooking at all and then I end up snacking on everything that I should not eat.

What exactly will they do in this procedure? It isn't one that I am familiar with. Before you get the procedure, stock up on some good magazines, books, movies (no tear jerking chick flicks ). You will make it through with no troubles. Friends and family will be there to help you through it.

And yes, 2007 is going to be a better year!

#458768 --- 12/18/06 01:46 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

The discogram is a procedure where they inject fluids right into your discs to try to illicit (sp) pain, track where it effects you, pain level, nerve roots, etc. They try to mimic pain you get on a daily basis basically, or to see if it worsens at all. Then, after the fluid is injected, along with an antibiotic, there is also contrast in it, and I will be sent for a CT scan to see how bad the discs really are, and if it is more than the 2 they have been looking at...they only treated one bad one last year...and that went downhill, too. The disc now effects the opposite side of my body then it originally had.
I will be a semi-concious state as I have to tell them how bad it hurts, where, what when and how.
Fun, huh?

#458769 --- 12/18/06 01:57 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

That doesn't sound like much fun. Is this a same day procedure? I hope they send you home with some good pain meds.

Good luck and I hope this helps them determine what needs to be done to eliminate your pain and make you feel well again.

#458770 --- 12/18/06 02:02 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Same day procedure. I will go in around 9 and hopefully at home by early afternoon.
I am hoping this gives the occupational physiatrist something to go on to get me back to the working world. I am a very hard working person. Before all of this it was not unusal for me to work doubles and volunteer to stay on longer shifts when needed.
I am not one unwilling to work and just collect comp. That is not how i was raised. I have pride, and that is why I own a home as a single Mom and I fight for what is mine.
Thanks for the good wishes, TRD.
No tear jerker movies here...lol. I think I am going to borrow my son in laws "Band of Brothers" movie set.

#458771 --- 12/18/06 02:06 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

You need something with real off beat humor to watch. Try Six Feet Under. It is still one of my favorite HBO series.

Have they ever talked about putting the steel rods in your back? I know a couple people that had that done to help with back problems and it seemed to help.

#458772 --- 12/18/06 02:10 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

I LOVE Six Feet Under.
Haven't watched in a few weeks, though.

Surgery is the last option to explore. Though I am in pain, Iam still "flexible" and would like to maintain that.
I would not have seteel rods put in. They would do a laminectomy, inwhich they would remove my original bone structre there, and replace it with a graph from my hip bone.
I am trying to combat it all with PT regimine and walking, along with mild pain killers (no narcs) and anti-inflammatory drugs.

#458773 --- 12/18/06 04:05 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
TRD, I have no cartiledge in either knee. The left is worse because of an old injury that dislocated the knee cap. I am able to get along pretty good since I had physical therapy. As long as I do my stretching exercises as least once a day and use the glider for at least 10 min. It is tolerable. I was also taught how to walk with less stress on the knee joint.

Statin drugs made the arthritis worse because it caused the leg muscles to contract. Massage and physical therapy have gotten me mobile again. So replacement surgery is post poned until I can't avoid it any longer. Dr. said I have the worst case scenerio - bone on bone on bone - and that he has had people with less problem demand surgery.

I know most people have good results. I am just not ready to go through the PT afterwards and am unwilling to bother my family to help me thru recouperation at this time. I have had 4 major surgery so far in life (including a botched one at Strong) and I know that once you are cut things are never the same. Guess I am chicken to go under the knife again as long as I can function with exercise.

But thanks for sharing your aunt's experience with me.

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year.

Edited by SilverFox (12/18/06 05:50 PM)

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12