FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#458544 --- 10/05/06 09:27 AM Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Rochester
Is anyone else experiencing depression, anxiety, sleeplessness due to the change in the seasons? The past week has been absolulely horrible for me. I finally had to make an appointment with my doctor and get a prescription for Effexor to try and take the edge of the moodiness I have been feeling. According to my doctor, most people who have this disorder, generally start feeling the effects in early October. It seems this year it has hit me much harder than other years.

If you suffer from this, what do you do to try and combat it?

FingerLakes1.com
#458545 --- 10/05/06 09:51 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Jelloshot Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Right behind you.
At our agency we have been installing new flourescent bulbs called Broad Spectrum bulbs, for people with this disorder. They give off a different light,closer to simulated sunlight than the traditional "blue" lights. Some studys have shown that they help people with SAD.

#458546 --- 10/05/06 10:00 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

Interesting. I'm going to look into that and see if they can install these bulbs into the fixtures above my desk.

#458547 --- 10/05/06 12:14 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Quote:

Is anyone else experiencing depression, anxiety, sleeplessness due to the change in the seasons? The past week has been absolulely horrible for me. I finally had to make an appointment with my doctor and get a prescription for Effexor to try and take the edge of the moodiness I have been feeling. According to my doctor, most people who have this disorder, generally start feeling the effects in early October. It seems this year it has hit me much harder than other years.

If you suffer from this, what do you do to try and combat it?

I moved to the Gulf. :-)

I used to have the winter blues in upstate NY and in Seattle. I think that exercising and keeping busy helped. Also getting laid regularly, battling my caffeine deficiency, and smoking an occasional joint.

#458548 --- 10/05/06 12:21 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm very nervous about SAD, with my upcoming move to AK. I've been reading a lot about it lately.

#458549 --- 10/05/06 12:26 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

It's strange. Some years I don't feel much of an effect. Other years, like this one, I can barely function. The past week, I haven't been able to even stare at the television at night. Most evenings I find myself wondering from room to room in the house not knowing what to do with myself. It is very unnerving. The night before last, I ended up going outside and taking a walk at 11 pm because I couldn't stand being in the house a minute longer.

#458550 --- 10/05/06 12:39 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
PT, I recommend getting a couple of full spectrum light fixtures...that will help during those long, long, winter nights.

#458551 --- 10/05/06 10:51 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Thanks for the post, TRD. I have been down for about the last week or 10 days and wondered what the heck was wrong with me. Glad to know I am not alone and maybe it is a seasonal thing. It probably is. I hate it when the leaves begin to fall because I know it will be a long time before the trees have leaves again.

#458552 --- 10/06/06 07:24 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
TRD_Tacoma Offline
Silver Member

There is nothing worse then seeing the leaves fall from the trees. The thought that it will be months before they are green again is very depressing.

#458553 --- 10/06/06 09:20 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Mumsy Offline
Silver Member

me it's the opposite- i get so tired and have no energy to do anything- this time of year i wished i worked nights again- i'd have the whole day to do what i want and work when it gets dark-

#458554 --- 10/06/06 09:49 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
SilverFox Offline

Amen, TRD, amen.

#458555 --- 10/06/06 08:41 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
I have two broad spectrum lights and a case of wine, bring it on SAD, I'll kick your ass.

#458556 --- 10/06/06 09:54 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
reilley Offline
Silver Member

Loc: between here and there
TDR, I have been battling this for yrs. I am on meds for it and it at times they just don't work ... I dread the fall and winter is so bad for me .. I am cold sensitive to begin with and then with COPD and bronchitis and all ...winter and i just don't get along. I need those lights but I heard that they are very expensive.

#458557 --- 10/07/06 06:41 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Sparkey Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
You all just need to borrow my Grandkids for awhile,they can make you laugh and smile all day long!!

#458558 --- 10/07/06 01:18 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
AbuDhabi Offline

Loc: Doha, Qatar
Quote:

It's strange. Some years I don't feel much of an effect. Other years, like this one, I can barely function. The past week, I haven't been able to even stare at the television at night. Most evenings I find myself wondering from room to room in the house not knowing what to do with myself. It is very unnerving. The night before last, I ended up going outside and taking a walk at 11 pm because I couldn't stand being in the house a minute longer.

TRD, that sounds GOOD!! You can't watch TV and you go out for a walk late at night? That is excellent! Everybody should try that.

#458559 --- 10/07/06 01:51 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
I am not diagnosed with it, but i do believe I have a level of it, TRD. This year it is compounded by the recent end of a relationship and an empty nest. I am trying alot of exercise and just renting movies to make me laugh, and inviting friends over in the evening. I have found myself falling asleep in the recliner nd waking up at about 2-3 am...and takes me about 45 mins to fall asleep. The thought of being shut in for the long winter months ALONE TERRIFIES me. But, I am getting good family and friend support and speaking to a counselor as well.
I had to shake off the sadness of the relationship towards my upcoming bday and holidays, but I fear memories will swarm me and bring me down. I have been told by my support system that will NOT be allowed...lol.
But, I can already feel the effects of the "winter blues" coming on.

#458560 --- 10/07/06 04:30 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Maddox Offline

Loc: de_dust2
Winter=dandruff, which is worse than any depression.

#458561 --- 10/08/06 08:19 AM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
I think we all need to find a "hobby", activity or something to look forward to only in the winter months. I have been so stressed out recently, new job, new home, new school for my kids...that I have been an emotional wreck. I spend countless hours, moving and arranging, cleaning and unpacking - just to start all over again to try and keep occupied. I really need to do something FUN. Can't think of anything fun because I am tooo friggin' busy moving and arranging, cleaning and unpacking....

#458562 --- 10/08/06 08:50 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
Mr. Buddy, human amusement park by appointment. Small and petites are my specialty...

#458563 --- 10/08/06 08:56 PM Re: Seasonal Disorder
EYRIE Offline

Loc: Wherever Life leads me
Yes, it's a sad fact - it is the SAD time of the year. And yes, the main treatment for this disorder is -- Sunshine. Barring the sunshine, there are lights available to mimic sunshine.
I made an amazing discovery. I bought a small halogen light to replace the table lamp by my computer. It covers a small area, but it is extrememly bright. It seems to help. Picked it up at Lowes last weekend - under $20.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >